FORUMS: list search recent posts

Re: Thoughts on FCPX from Oliver Peters

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Oliver Peters
Re: Thoughts on FCPX from Oliver Peters
on Jul 23, 2011 at 1:21:08 am

David - thanks for linking the blog post and the kind words.

Ben - the issue with split edits is the following. In FCP 7, you can separately "roll" the edit point for picture or sound cuts or both in any combination. In FCP X, you first have to position the a/v edit point using the Precision Editor. This is principally a video-oriented edit. Then open the clip to access audio. Now you can roll the in or out point of the audio track. Unless I've missed something, I don't see how to roll the picture cut point (leaving the audio cut in the same position) without fighting the Magnetic Timeline.

At this point, I like a lot of FCP X, but it just is less functional for most of my work than FCP 7. But I try to never say never. As a freelancer, I can certainly see some clients in the future move in that direction and I'll have to adapt. For now though, most will stick with FCP 7, because they really didn't have that many issues with it to begin with.

Interfaces that change as much as this one has are a gamble. Historically, most have fallen by the wayside or changed back to the standard source/record/bin/timeline configuration. Non-standard interfaces include the original Premiere (also a Ubilos product), Quantel Harry (which used a vertical filmstrip metaphor) and Jaleo (now SGO Mistika - which uses a type of trackless timeline). You could also count the original Lightworks interface in this as well. Time will tell whether Apple has this same problem among advanced users.

Many users have taken this personally, because if you have been editing 10 years or less, you've probably never cut with anything other than FCP. For users in that group, what Apple has done may have seemed inconceivable. If you've gone through several of these shifts in the past, then it's just another twist in the business.

I don't think any of this is wrong, since Apple is one of the few companies in our space, that doesn't need us for survival. I just differ from a lot of others who think Apple will return many of the missing features. I just don't think that will be the case, because I believe the software is sufficiently different - and Apple is in a "different place" - so many of the desired features won't come back. We'll know in a few months.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]