Look under the MacBook Pro...

Best,
Andy

Return to posts index

Andrew Corneles
Re: Apple Posts New Videos Comparing FCPX to Adobe & Avid
on Jul 22, 2011 at 3:04:40 pm

After watching, I'm reminded that they really did add some interesting
features, and if they had just been smart enough to let me open my existing projects - I might have bought into this. I've always been
very open to the motion / fcx workflow with the variable linky thing.

And what the hell is so wrong with bins and folders?
Couldn't they just leave that alone, and ADD all the meta-tagging?

If they had just left a few things alone, I might be editing with it now.

specifically:

1) open legacy projects
2) keep the "project" workflow, bins etc
3) give me static tracks for god's sake

everything else I could probably live with to gain the performance
of 64 - plus some of the other nifty gadgets that they've added.

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
on Jul 22, 2011 at 3:28:02 pm

that picture is hilarious.

quote from the first vid - "final Cut Pro eliminates the frustrations of older track based editing systems"

Well, you see that's it really. Hands up who told Apple they were frustrated by older track based editing systems.

http://www.ogallchoir.net
promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics

Return to posts index

Eric Susch
on Jul 22, 2011 at 4:48:45 pm

Exactly. They solved a problem that no-one had. I think the magnetic timeline is interesting, it may even be better, but I was doing just fine the "old" way.

These videos remind me of infomercials. "...but you can't karate chop a tomato. You need the Ginsu!"

They're desperate. They know they screwed up. Apple should be making videos that lay out a timetable of when they are going to fix the problems instead of just this marketing spin.

Follow me on twitter @EricSusch

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
on Jul 22, 2011 at 4:52:01 pm

[Eric Susch] "They're desperate."

I really wish they were but, you know, they could buy Poland, Mexico and Belgium outright at this point. Turn them into staff waterparks.

http://www.ogallchoir.net
promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics

Return to posts index

Eric Susch
on Jul 24, 2011 at 4:31:45 am

Apple may be a successful company overall but the people in the FCP division still need to defend their decisions within the company. They botched this release big time and made Apple look bad to the general public, even on late night TV.

Follow me on twitter @EricSusch

Return to posts index

J Hussar
on Jul 24, 2011 at 1:29:06 pm

Just on a deadline 2 nights ago. Having multiple sequences open in the FCP7 project saved our collective butts!

We had to have a separate sequence open just for figuring out some shot orders - for experiments. We didn't want to mess around in the main sequence until we sorted out the problems, we didn't want any risk any disordering of the main sequence.

When we finished the test sequence we safely copied it back into the main sequence.

What were we supposed to do, open another new project? Are you kidding me?

I don't have any problem with new features Apple added - it's what they've taken away that is the problem - and they don't know the problem because they don't have to edit in 11th hour, soul crushing deadline situations.

They think editing is a tra-la-la, time is no object game - not the horrific deadline, balancing on a cliff-face experience that it can be. That's where they screwed the pooch! They just DON'T get editing in a real world situation anymore!

Not since Randy "I shoot vacation videos" Ubillos returned.

Return to posts index

John Godwin
on Jul 24, 2011 at 5:58:30 pm

I just had to do something similar, using FCPX.It's very easy to switch between "projects" (think "sequences") in FCPX and just cut and paste as needed. Although you can accomplish the same things with secondary storylines and auditions.

There are several valid workflow issues with FCPX. This one is minor, with at least 3 ways to accomplish the goal and they are at least equal to having multiple sequences open.

Best,
John

Return to posts index

Alan Okey
on Jul 22, 2011 at 4:01:57 pm

I think this is the answer to those who have been saying that Apple hasn't responded to the criticism of the FCP X release and hasn't stated its future plans.

After watching these videos, it's quite clear to me that Apple is saying:

"We are proud of the tool that we have designed, and we feel that it is the future of editing. These are the reasons why. You can choose to come with us into the future, or stay in the past. Third party companies may build upon our foundation to meet some of your needs, but we will not let our progress be held back by those whose thinking is stuck in the past, or by a small minority of users whose specialized needs do not represent our core market."

For those who are demanding some sort of public statement form Apple, this is as close as you're going to get. There will be no apologies, no backpedaling. That's not how Apple rolls. The release of FCP X was planned and executed by Apple in exactly the way they wanted it to happen. This was no accident. In Apple's opinion, this is not alpha or beta software, it's a bold new beginning. You can either get on board or get out of the way.

No amount of petitioning, complaining or threatening is going to make Apple change course. They've played their hand, now you play yours. End of story.

Return to posts index

Chris Jacek
on Jul 22, 2011 at 4:23:00 pm

[Alan Okey] "They've played their hand, now you play yours. End of story.
"

And I think the sad part is, they have two-pair in their hand, and they're trying to bluff that they have a straight-flush.

Professor, Producer, Editor
and former Apple Employee

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on Jul 22, 2011 at 4:58:13 pm

But it is Professional! They said that so many times in the video! Plus, its got these camera shaky thingys, color-fixy things, and no tracks to get in my way.

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on Jul 22, 2011 at 5:00:16 pm

Oh, and it promised to keep me from having to go "outside."

Return to posts index

Peter Wiley
on Jul 22, 2011 at 4:36:40 pm

I watched the videos and they make the app look compelling and interesting. For the first time in this whole business I have some idea of Apple's actual vision . . . which makes me wonder why on on earth Apple didn't have these promos ready on day one of the release? Marketing may be playing catch-up, which is very interesting for a company the size of Apple and suggests to me that perhaps the release didn't go as they had hoped.

As for changing course, no one outside Apple knows what is or was the intended approach. It's as possible the appearance of these video represent a change in course after the firestorm. Time will tell.

A cynic might observe that there is something of the late-night ginzu knife ad appeal in the "faster editing" piece. FCP X is 6 tools in one?

I happen to have an old "Pros on Final Cut Pro" DVD released to promote FCP3. Apple said many of the same things about FCP3 . . . what's missing this time the "industry leaders" testimony.

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on Jul 22, 2011 at 5:15:01 pm

I want my spiral slicer!

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Jul 22, 2011 at 4:43:09 pm

Great, first time in my life that I start to consider not just going PP or AVID, but even going to a PC.
I've started to consider dangerous any dependence on iApple as dangerous.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Andrae Palmer
on Jul 22, 2011 at 4:49:40 pm

"You can continue to work while your effects render." No you can't... background rendering stops when you are actively editing. I hate their marketing gimmicks.

Davinci Resolve Mac 7.1:
Mac Pro 12-Core
24GB (six 4GB) memory
ATI Radeon HD 5770 and NVIDIA Quadro 4000
Blackmagic Decklink Extreme 3D+

Return to posts index

Chris Jacek
on Jul 22, 2011 at 7:14:23 pm

[Rafael Amador] "Great, first time in my life that I start to consider not just going PP or AVID, but even going to a PC.
I've started to consider dangerous any dependence on iApple as dangerous."

Though I'm not ready to abandon the Mac yet, I did buy my first PC in over 12 years. I got 17" Dell laptop, with 2 drives (750GB each at 7200), 8 GB Ram, Sandy Bridge i7, Blu-Ray writer, and a 3GB Nvidia graphics card for about $1500 (admittedly, I get a nice educational discount). Running Premiere CS5.5 with the Mercury Acceleration on it has so far been pretty amazing. I was running 5 simultaneous layers of 1080p30 DSLR footage in real time.

Like I said, I'm not willing to jump yet (I still have 3 Macs in addition to this PC), but I am definitely starting to lose my Apple bias (some might even argue "arrogance"). Regardless of platform, I will definitely be continuing to phase in more Premiere (which I'd started over a year ago). I think anyone who does any significant AE work has to consider this.

Return to posts index

Chris Conlee
on Jul 22, 2011 at 6:22:01 pm

That's kinda how I read it too.

Chris

Return to posts index

Rob Tinworth
on Jul 22, 2011 at 4:56:54 pm

You can create bins to organise your media, you can create subclips to organise your media, you can name and copy your clips (what are they talking about, "duplicating the media") you can organise your media in sequences, you can organise all those bins with folders. Oh, so many ways to organise media in Avid, Premiere and FCP7. What a weakness!

You can overwrite edit in from the source window, you can drag in from the browser, you can drag in from the desktop, you can trim by entering a trim mode or by trimming in the timeline, or by using extend edit or by selecting down the timeline or by... Goodness me what a lot of ways to edit. It's all too complicated.

But it's the very fact that you can organise your media one of several different ways, it's the very fact that you can perform the same edit in so many different ways that makes these NLES SO powerful. That flexibility allows me to use a different method or tool depending on what I'm doing, and sometimes, just how I'm feeling.

More importantly, it allows different editors to work in different ways. Everyone has their own habits and preferences and every editor flies their NLE in a slightly different way.

That's a good thing.

It's hard to tell from these videos, and I've no hands on experience with FCP-X, so anyone care to comment on whether FCP-X has that same flexibility?

Rob Tinworth
http://www.1021.tv

Return to posts index

Andrew Corneles
on Jul 22, 2011 at 5:19:21 pm

[Rob Tinworth] "You can create bins to organise your media, you can create subclips to organise your media, you can name and copy your clips (what are they talking about, "duplicating the media") you can organise your media in sequences, you can organise all those bins with folders. Oh, so many ways to organise media in Avid, Premiere and FCP7. What a weakness!

You can overwrite edit in from the source window, you can drag in from the browser, you can drag in from the desktop, you can trim by entering a trim mode or by trimming in the timeline, or by using extend edit or by selecting down the timeline or by... Goodness me what a lot of ways to edit. It's all too complicated."

exactly what i was feeling while watching. subclips? GOODNESS NO!
Archaic BIN organization? Whatever shall we do? These videos are an
epic FAIL.

Some of the features of FCPX are just so enticing though...
Why couldn't they have just made fcp8?????!?!?!?!!!!

Andrew Corneles - editorial and mograph in the 585

Return to posts index

Lance Bachelder
on Jul 22, 2011 at 5:16:51 pm

Good to see Apple fighting back with all the Avid, Adobe and Sony Vegas switches and crossgrade specials. Let's hope their programmers are working as hard as their marketing dept. to fix the many missing "pro" features...

Lance Bachelder
Writer, Editor, Director
Irvine, California

Return to posts index

Andrew Corneles
on Jul 22, 2011 at 5:25:43 pm

[Lance Bachelder] "Let's hope their programmers are working as hard as their marketing dept. to fix the many missing "pro" features..."
I wish they would, but i'm not one of the ones that
thinks they'll come to their senses and add stuff back in...

If they would give me the "old days, film era" timeline,
viewer, multicam (negotiable), bins, and aja/bm with
all of the new, awesome features...

I would have easily paid a "no upgrade price" of 2K.

Andrew Corneles - editorial and mograph in the 585

Return to posts index

Juan Morales
on Jul 22, 2011 at 5:51:43 pm

Well, that's it then.

Last week I've just edited my last documentary on FCP 7. It looks like Apple is trying to force the new "paradigm" through our throats. No more going back then, no more hopes in that Apple may think it made a wrong turn, add more "Pro" features (whatever those are really) in the near future or even the possibility that FCP X will ever work like it should've (FCP 7 on 64 bit steroids anyone?).

I'll be in Avidland next week in case anybody's looking for me. Maybe I'll switch to Lightworks on Linux in a year or so, but in the mean time...

Return to posts index

Liam Hall
on Jul 22, 2011 at 7:27:54 pm

Didn't anyone else think the Avid interface looked old-fashioned? I guess that is Apple's point...

And you've got to agree that is good marketing...

...Finally!

Liam Hall
Director/DoP/Editor
http://www.liamhall.net

Return to posts index

Alan Okey
on Jul 22, 2011 at 7:41:19 pm

[Liam Hall] "Didn't anyone else think the Avid interface looked old-fashioned? I guess that is Apple's point...
"

That Apple is more interested in fashion than function? Cynical as I am, I don't think that was their intended message...

I've never been impressed by UI chrome, but then again I'm probably in the minority. Beauty is subjective, but utility of function should be self-apparent. If a tool works well, I couldn't care less whether or not it looks sexy in a marketing brochure. I'd like believe that not all people are simply crows attracted to shiny objects. Another way of saying that beauty is skin deep, I suppose.

Return to posts index

David Bankston
on Jul 26, 2011 at 4:07:13 pm

Looks like old Mac OS 9. Really outdated. Also the multiple windows that float and are not connected is really hard to get your arms around. Been testing Premiere 5.5. Like, looks like a go to switch.

Return to posts index

Tom Daigon
on Jul 22, 2011 at 7:39:35 pm

Juan - "I'll be in Avidland next week in case anybody's looking for me. Maybe I'll switch to Lightworks on Linux in a year or so, but in the mean time..."

Im in Adobe CS 5.5 land myself and having a great time. Its a thrill to have Premiere Pro 5.5 dynamic link right into After Effects. And what a rush to display my CPU activity monitor and see all 8 cores light up to 1000% when rendering in either program. And I love have helpful, knowledgeable people to talk to at Adobe tech support with cutting edge tools to help me troubleshoot issues. I feel like the Cheshire Cat these day...just one big grin.

Tom Daigon
Avid DS / PrP / After Effects Editor
http://www.hdshotsandcuts.com

Return to posts index

Shawn Miller
on Jul 22, 2011 at 7:59:42 pm

"I feel like the Cheshire Cat these day...just one big grin."

That's great to hear, Tom. Just out of curiosity, what's been the biggest "pleasant surprise" for you with PPro? Were there any 'ah ha moments' when you started working with it?

Thanks,

Shawn

Return to posts index

Tom Daigon
on Jul 22, 2011 at 8:09:20 pm

Jumping into new software is always a mixed experience. But since I do a lot of motion graphics, the instant link into After Effects (AND not having to then render a QT movie and import back into PrP....just switch back to PrP and there is your AE clip)... was a real joy. As with any new software and hardware there is lots to figure out and adjust to. But all in all its a switch I don't regret.

Tom Daigon

Return to posts index

Shawn Miller
on Jul 22, 2011 at 9:18:35 pm

" But since I do a lot of motion graphics, the instant link into After Effects (AND not having to then render a QT movie and import back into PrP...."

Right, that does make sense. I love the Dynamic link between Premiere and AE, and also the file format support from Photoshop and Illustrator. The integration between AE and Cinema 4D also makes things much easier and fun to work with.

Shawn

Return to posts index

Tom Daigon
on Jul 22, 2011 at 9:24:15 pm

I agree Shawn. And the lack of any need to transcode is cool. I was working with a FULL resolution Red file (R3D) in real time.

Tom Daigon

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on Jul 22, 2011 at 8:16:09 pm

Hey Tom, I've got production suite 5. What are the reasons for going 5.5? Or can I comfortably wait to 6?

Return to posts index

Jonathan Dortch
on Jul 23, 2011 at 1:53:50 am

[Chris Harlan] "Hey Tom, I've got production suite 5. What are the reasons for going 5.5? Or can I comfortably wait to 6?
"

For Premiere I've found 5.5 to be a significant upgrade from 5.0. Upgraded Keyboard customization, key framing in the timeline, more FCP7 like tool updates, Smooth cam, Far superior Dynamic Link manager integration.

If you are jumping in with Premiere I do think 5.5 is worth the upgrade.

JONATHAN DORTCH
BLACK WOLF CREATIVE

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on Jul 23, 2011 at 3:00:03 am

Thanks, Jonathan. I'm re-uping to Avid first, but I'm very interested in Premiere, as well. I'm just wondering how far away CS6 is.

Return to posts index

Geert van den Berg
on Jul 22, 2011 at 7:31:11 pm

After the promotions of the competition and them pointing out FCPX is not a professional tool, IMHO Apple has every right to do a counterattack.

Yes Apple what you are showing, works certainly better than Media Composer or Premiere, but this is basically all that FCPX can do (I read the manual in a couple of hours and then there was almost nothing more to learn about it...), and MC and PP do a lot more than just these things! (And you're not showing how to add a cross dissolve to just an audio track and how even the slightest modification to a video file in another app makes it impossible to relink...)

I really like FCPX, so add all the missing stuff back in ASAP! FCPX its short learning curve is a plus, simple can be powerful, but please...

Hmm this forum is really therapeutic :-)

(the Adobe Production bundle is also almost ordered though...)

Return to posts index

Ian Bailey
on Jul 22, 2011 at 10:05:35 pm

It's somewhat reassuring that Apple has responded and is specifically using the 'p' word. Personally I've not been too concerned about FCP as I've continued to believe features would be added back in as this new app develops. What's up-set me most is the tools from STP and Color that have been lost.

I played Devil's advocate where I work (a university in England) and made a case for CS5. We already have a lab with PPro which no one is particularly enthusiastic about, so FCPX will get its chance to shine. Seeing the Avid interface also brought back bad memories from when I worked in TV.

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Jul 22, 2011 at 10:20:45 pm

[Chris Jacek] "Like I said, I'm not willing to jump yet (I still have 3 Macs in addition to this PC)"
Chris, the idea of working with a PC is one of my worst nightmares and I hope I can keep working with a Mac, but my concern is on how future Apple decisions may affects AVID-on-Mac or PP-on-Mac users.
I don't know why but I don't trust Apple as I did till few weeks ago.
rafael

Return to posts index

alex schwindt
on Jul 22, 2011 at 10:54:44 pm

I'm actually with Peter on this. Apple should have released these videos on Day One. They do a much better job of communicating their vision for editing than anything that's come before. (and you have to give them some credit for lumping their own FCP 7 in with Avid and Premiere)

I've been a full-time filmmaker who's been using FCP for years. I'll be the first to admit that when FCP X was released I immediately got busy learning Premiere CS5.5. Adobe's really gotten it's act together with Premiere, and at this point I'm not sure I'd go back to FCP 7 even if it was re-released today. Premiere is just so much faster and more powerful.

Having said that, after spending a couple of days with FCP X I'm starting to get what Apple is thinking with this. A fellow filmmaker and I spent most of today messing around with it and we had a blast! We even purposely shot some "problem footage" with a DSLR just to see how FCP X would handle it. Again, we were impressed.

I'll agree that it might not be ready for the big leagues (we crashed it once just doing a color correction). The idea of editing a 90-minute project with FCP X makes me nervous, and while I dig the color tools the absence of Colorista II is definitely a bummer. Probably me biggest hang-up with it is they way they completely abandoned standard terminology. It's going to be hard to communicate with other filmmakers if "project" doesn't mean "project".

So I'm going to keep kicking the tires some more. I have a number of short-form projects coming up that this might be perfect for. The problem is that I don't have tons of spare time to keep learning new editors. At some point I'm going to need to start developing some muscle memory with one weapon-of-choice editor...

Return to posts index

Chris Jacek
on Jul 23, 2011 at 5:43:57 am

[Rafael Amador] "Chris, the idea of working with a PC is one of my worst nightmares and I hope I can keep working with a Mac, but my concern is on how future Apple decisions may affects AVID-on-Mac or PP-on-Mac users.
I don't know why but I don't trust Apple as I did till few weeks ago.
rafael"

Rafael,

I completely understand you and agree 100% with your concerns. I know there is a lot of frustration ahead for me in Windows world. But my thinking was that I have the opportunity to give myself transition time to become more comfortable with Windows. Like you, I do not trust Apple as much as I used to, but my mistrust started a year or two ago, and each new announcement or release seems to confirm my fears.

If the dominoes continue to fall as I suspect they will, Apple will no longer be the main hardware choice for video professionals in a couple years. Many have stuck with the Mac platform because of FCP, and the amazing Mac hardware performance, even if it came at a cost premium. Both of these reasons have been decaying in recent years, and I think they will continue to decay.

Right now I have the luxury of being able to work on Premiere and Avid on both platforms. If, over the next year or so, I find that I can be comfortable on both Windows and Mac, then I will may continue the transition. The hardware acceleration in Premiere with a CUDA NVidia card is damn impressive. Apple doesn't even offer a laptop that is capable of this.

I feel dirty saying and thinking this as a long-time Apple fanboy and advocate, but sometimes the writing on the wall is just too hard to deny.

Return to posts index

Robert Brown
on Jul 23, 2011 at 6:51:02 am

It's kind of interesting because in a way Windows offers more stability time-wise. I mean how long did XP last? I still see computers on Windows 2000. At one point it seemed Windows pace was too slow but for me Apple has come to represent change whether it's needed or not. Just change for the sake of change and it's almost like watching people high on something.

The great thing about buying Macs is you can dual boot and so have both worlds, but maybe next time I'll build a "Hackintosh" so I can still run OSX but save a couple thousand bucks. Over the last couple of years the pendulum seems to be going back the other way and it's good that there are competitors so you can still get what you need and not have the latest whim jammed down your throat.

I think Apple's biggest threat right now is just running out of relevant new ideas. That's what I thought when I say Cloud introduced. Why bother? They seem addicted to trying to change everything but at some point it's like I think I'll just turn all of this crap off and read a book.

Return to posts index

Ray Wang
on Jul 22, 2011 at 10:51:30 pm

It is an interesting counter attack from Apple.

Basically FCP7 was the same animal as Avid and Adobe (track editing). But Apple was careful to spend more time showing Avid and Premier screen shots than FCP7.

Also I think it is a bit waste of time too. All the features shown in the clips are well known and discussed (pros and cons).

It would be better advertising if Apple show (similar to what they did for FCP7), some cool projects to showcase FCP X (other than the Audi driving school clip). Cold Mountain 2 ?

---
Ray

Return to posts index

Flavio G. García
on Jul 23, 2011 at 12:21:21 am

The videos are full of lies.

No other software has "Match Color"?.

Please...

Media Composer has that almost since day one.

Too complicated to keep things in synch in Media Composer, when trimming?.

Just use "Synch Locks".

No stabilization inside the application?.

Again... Please...

Media Composer has the Stabilize effect, wich works great.

Are there interesting things in FCP X?.

Sure.

Do they lie in this videos?.

Sure.

Flavio G. Garc

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Jul 23, 2011 at 1:38:30 am

[Flavio G. García] "The videos are full of lies."
So you don't think FCPX will give me more "creative freedom"?
I want more creative freedom, I don't know what for, but must be great.
rafael

Return to posts index

Leo Hans
on Jul 23, 2011 at 1:23:20 pm

@Flavio

"The videos are full of lies.
No other software has "Match Color"?.
Please...
Media Composer has that almost since day one."

You are wrong. Match Color from FCPX analyzes whole clips and then match color based on the clip data, not the frame data. That makes a huge difference. (By the way, MC doesn't have march color almost from since one).

"Too complicated to keep things in synch in Media Composer, when trimming?.
Just use "Synch Locks"."

Synchs Looks is not the same. If you sync lock tracks and then you do a ripple edit you are "auto adding edit" splitting clips. Working in TV spots I've had to handle dialogue tracks with tons of sound design clips, plus ambient sound and music. Since TV spots's shots don't usually have a duration of more than a couple of seconds, you usually work with complicated timelines. Synch Look is not a solution when you are constantly trimming or changing the order of shots with eight audio tracks which overlap with surrounding shots. That's even worst when you need to work with alternative shots (with audio) in the same timeline.

"No stabilization inside the application?.
Again... Please...
Media Composer has the Stabilize effect, wich works great.

But you have to analyze in foreground the clip, and what happens if you later trim it?

If you compare those things in a specs table they may seem the same, but is not.

Leo Hans
Editor AVID - Final Cut Pro
http://www.leohans.com

Return to posts index

Flavio G. García
on Jul 23, 2011 at 1:41:31 pm

Leo:

I´m not saying the features works the same way.

I´m saying those features already exists in Media Composer.

I´m not comparing how the features work.

What I´m saying is Apple lies when they say FCP X is the only application able to do Match Color or Stabilization inside the software.

Call it marketing. I call it a lie.

Anyway, if you compare Stabilization:

MC gives you more options. You can lock movement, or stabilize movement using Steady Glide. You have 3 option for trackers (Fluid trackers, etc.). You can stabilize an object inside the frame. And yres, if you trim a shot, you need to track it again. But in general, all effects involving trackers are far superior, like drawing a mask with Animatte, and tracking it to follow a character movement.

Peace!

Flavio G. Garc

Return to posts index

Leo Hans
on Jul 23, 2011 at 1:50:19 pm

Flavio,
If you need to re track a shot every time you make an edit it's not the way to go. You are wasting time. It's ok that for a Flame, After effects, Smoke. The main reason we use a NLE is to edit, so if you loose what you already has done every time you edit, something is wrong.

Of course Apple is doing marketing, but not only marketing, the had done a very powerful software too.

Adobe and Avid does the same with the "one time offer" because they are going to charge you a lot with every upgrade later.

I think the intention of the videos is to show things to people are saying FCPX is not good without ever trying it (since it's a new way of thinking, you have to learn it. It's not enough to launch the software and doing some clicks with the mouse to decide).

Leo Hans

Return to posts index

Flavio G. García
on Jul 23, 2011 at 2:18:58 pm

Again, Leo:

If you need to re track a shot every time you make an edit it's not the way to go. You are wasting time. It's ok that for a Flame, After effects, Smoke. The main reason we use a NLE is to edit, so if you loose what you already has done every time you edit, something is wrong.

I´m not comparing how Stabilize works. I´m saying what Apple says is just a lie.

If you like FCP X, use it. I use it too. But Apple lies.

I´m really tired about those comments like "It´s not the way to go".

For whom?, for you?. Fine!. But, please, stop the bold statements.

I think the intention of the videos is to show things to people are saying FCPX is not good without ever trying it (since it's a new way of thinking, you have to learn it. It's not enough to launch the software and doing some clicks with the mouse to decide).

Now, that´s the other argument being said. I guess you don´t say that because of me.

As I matter of fact, not only I edit with all mayor NLE´s, including FCP X and 7, Avid and Premiere, I´m actually a teacher of all those applications, of course including X. I actually consider myself a very good teacher, one the reasons being I´m "software agnostic" and never justify any company.

You´re "way to go" is not necesarily everyone´s way to go. Same with "Apple´s way to go".

Anyway, what I would consider important is the results, not how easy is to do something.

In the case of Stabilize, I can say FCP X´s is seriously inferior to Warp Stabilize, wich is in AE 5.5, and is probably now the best stabilization in desktop software.

By the way, and take this a joke:

No Precision Editor in a Secondary Storyline?. Why?. Why is the logic in that?.

Don´t worry, someone will chime in to say not having Precision Editor in a Secondary Storyline is the most logical thing, because you don´t need precision in something less important than the Primary Storyline. Or something like that...

Flavio G. Garc

Return to posts index

Leo Hans
on Jul 23, 2011 at 2:30:17 pm

Flavio,
English is not my mother language, so excuse me if something sounds not so friendly.

I think that tools should make things simpler. AE may be the best stabilization (maybe excluding smoke, flame and other high cost alternatives), but AE is not a NLE.

About learning FCPX first, I was not talking about you. If you look at most forums (here, fcp.co, etc) most of the people complaining about FCPX didn't ever launched the App (in their own words).

I love some FPC7 features. I love some Avid MC features, and some Premiere features too.

I agree with the second story line lacking precision editor, but I have to admit I not using too much the precision editor because i find the inline trimming really good. And I have my own complaints about FCPX, but I love the core idea of it.

Leo Hans

Return to posts index

Flavio G. García
on Jul 23, 2011 at 2:37:52 pm

Leo, no need to apologize.

English is not my mother language either. So we´re fine... :)

I hope I didn´t get too defensive. Sorry If i did.

Happy Saturday.

Flavio.

Flavio G. Garc

Return to posts index

Rafael Metz
on Jul 23, 2011 at 12:57:46 pm

Ok, some concepts and ideas look nice without having them tested in depth and real life situations.
But that keyword thing looks like it has been concepted by an Excel Junkie. When they still type their keywords I´m ready with editing...in PPro :-)))

Return to posts index

Leo Hans
on Jul 23, 2011 at 1:52:32 pm

Not at all.
Apple already successfully used keywords in Aperture and Adobe with Lightroom. It's just new for NLE, give it a try.

Leo Hans

Return to posts index

Rafael Metz
on Jul 23, 2011 at 2:01:50 pm

I know - I use Lightroom and the keywords only a little...

No, my comment was more about: I use "keywords", like the comment tab, scene/take tabs we find in MC or FCP. I don´t say that is bad at all but my impression is you NEED to or you´re lost - and you need to spend very much time thinking about keywords etc. So it surely works for some people that have that inner feeling to structure everything, have a nice clean living room, etc. Which is not bad at all, but there are more types of human beings. :-)
I have my own structure concepts and depending on projects they need to be so or so or different. I don´t blame that keyword thing at all, only my impression is that they focus on it too much and leaving out different approaches.

Return to posts index

Leo Hans
on Jul 23, 2011 at 2:12:14 pm

Just assign keywords with the name of your former bins.
Or do it backwards: Create keyword collections and drop clips there, like with the clips/bins in FPC7

Leo Hans

Return to posts index

Vladimir Talijan
on Jul 23, 2011 at 3:31:47 pm

This whole "I don't need anything FCPX is offering and it's not for PROs" story on every forum on the internet is really funny. I can relate it to a bunch of other stuff happening on this planet. For the example, do anyone remember when digital SLR bodys arrived ? For at least five years there were millions who thought how that is unusable trash and it will never replace film :) The same thing is happening with movies today.

And there are other group of people who acts like they are blind and they need a year in FCPX to see just how everything is faster and more efficient, and "they just don't see how the magnetic timeline is better ?"....Seriously ?!?! :) It's like those Americans who thought for 50 years that american cars are the best in the world, and now they drive Hondas and Toyotas :)

Tapes are dead for at least couple of years, but for some reason people who work on archaic equipment think that the future of NLEs has to support that. Today, there are much much more profesionals who work with progressive, tapeless file based, large sensor material, so why do I care for those TV guys who edit a footage with 1 mile DOF and need to use their artificial light with a first shadow ? THAT is history and we should move on and start editing far more effectively and much faster than ever. Yes, we need multicam, XML and better network support, but all that will come, and when it comes, AVID and Premiere will be in the same position they have already been in year 2003.

Bottom line, if you don't want to use FCPX, just don't. If you don't want to use FCP 7, just don't, use whetever you like, just stop complaining like you have no choice.

And just one thing, why the hell you want to import old finished project ever ? Again, it's some small sensor, 1 mile DOF TV crap. You can use AVID for that, and just leave alone anyone who wants something way more efficient than those lego bricks always on a virge of shattering into pieces...

Return to posts index

Leo Hans
on Jul 23, 2011 at 3:48:17 pm

A couple of moths ago I was in the position to buy or not a Sony DVW-2000 Digital Betacam VTR we were renting. It cost is $ 50 grands. Talking with my partners we arrived to the conclusion that we was working with less and less tape every month so tape was dying. It was profitable only if we were going to have a lot (really a lot) work depending on that in a year, because then, probably it will be useless.

Well, if you have this kind of tape recorders, the price of the editing software doesn't matter.

That's why some people complains the lack of tape I/O of FCPX. They need to maintain their old workflow in order to pay off their equipment.

They had to admit that today is more efficient to carry a hard drive than using tapes. Especially considering the tape based equipment costs. If you are going to buy a expensive tape recorder you better think it twice.

Leo Hans

Return to posts index

alban egger
on Jul 23, 2011 at 4:24:26 pm

There is one problem in Apple´s approach: they should offer a trial so people would use it before posting here. there are so many misunderstandings that people post here without even knowing what they talk about.

For starters you can recreate a folder and bin structure with folders, subfolders, keywordcollections and smartcollections. Way more powerful than anything you ever saw in FCP7.

Also the fct there are some automatic tools doesn´t mean a) that they are useless, just because you don´t know them and b) that you have to use them. Simply leave them alone and that´s that.

I went back to FCP7 after a month of FCPX for an old project and almost laughed out louds at how BAD it is.

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
on Jul 23, 2011 at 9:07:29 pm

"That's why some people complains the lack of tape I/O of FCPX. They need to maintain their old workflow in order to pay off their equipment."

My tape decks were payed off years ago. I need tape IO because PBS still demands it, as do most broadcasters.

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
on Jul 23, 2011 at 9:02:49 pm

"And just one thing, why the hell you want to import old finished project ever"

For just one reason ... money.

I have clients that sometimes revisit old projects and pay me to revise them. They pay me with money and I do the work, that's what they mean by the word professional. If I can't open those files they will find someone else and pay them, not me. That's called running a business. With FCPX I loose business -- but I guess your in this for the glory.

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions

Return to posts index

Leo Hans
on Jul 23, 2011 at 9:34:06 pm

Herb,

You can still have FCP7 if you need to open a legacy project in the same manner that having an old betacam, DV, or U-Matic recorder may help you capture old video footage.

Did you blame Sony when U-Matic got outdated in flavor to Betacam SP, and later with DigiBeta? Was Sony fault that you need to have the old recorder and the new one because Betacam SP decks didn't load U-Matic tapes?

It's not an Apple problem. It's the constantly evolving technology.

In a copule of months, or maybe a year from now, used FCS3 licences will be cheap. While some people are going to need it for a long time still, lot of people will be moving to Avid, Premiere and FCPX.

Perhaps loosing the ability to open legacy projects is a necessary tradeoff.

I have no doubts that we are going to have the option to open somehow legacy projects in FCPX, but not in a looseness way. But I choose to look at the future. I like the new timeline, the metadata over the old bin/clips structure and the whole paradigm.

Not all of us needs to open old projects. I don't, so I don't need to keep an old Mac with FPC7 for the next 5 years just in case, but if you make money opening legacy project, to keep one of it is an investment, like every other investment you do.

What if because the workflow of FCPX in a near future is really faster to edit a project on FCPX than in Premiere or Avid. Will you tell your client that you need more time to deliver your work because you chosen the old way of doing things that let you open old projects?

I mean, maybe It's too soon to evaluate which platform is going to be the best in a year or two. None of my clients asked me to stop using FPC7 nor to switch to Avid or Premiere.

Leo Hans

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Jul 23, 2011 at 10:37:18 pm

[Vladimir Talijan] "And there are other group of people who acts like they are blind and they need a year in FCPX to see just how everything is faster and more efficient, and "they just don't see how the magnetic timeline is better ?"....Seriously ?!?! :) It's like those Americans who thought for 50 years that american cars are the best in the world, and now they drive Hondas and Toyotas :) "

You know Vladimir?
In 1996 I went to a Premier demo (Adobe had the decency to wait few years to call it PRO).
When they saw me so sceptic with such a weak creature, they told me: "Wait to see. This is the future of video editing".
Yes, they were right: 14 years later Premier was a professional option.
My blindness may be just laziness or may come from my 25 years editing with every kind of tool.

For my is not about FCPX being better or worst:
Is about impositions, lack of freedom and dirty tricks.
I build my movies in my head and I want to have in with my footage and my time-line the same freedom I have with my ideas.
I don't need Apple or nobody else telling me now how to develop and organize my things.
How I gonna fallow a bunch of guys that are talking about "events', Primary time-line', "Secondary time-line", and crap like that?
What are they try to show?
Are they inventing a new language for "the editor of the future"?
Is this a new church?

[Vladimir Talijan] "Bottom line, if you don't want to use FCPX, just don't. If you don't want to use FCP 7, just don't, use whetever you like, just stop complaining like you have no choice.

And just one thing, why the hell you want to import old finished project ever ? Again, it's some small sensor, 1 mile DOF TV crap. You can use AVID for that, and just leave alone anyone who wants something way more efficient than those lego bricks always on a virge of shattering into pieces..."

This is your SECOND post in the COW and you come here to tell people to shut the mouth and stop complaining?
No man you are wrong.
This is a forum to discuss people concerns and to complain on whatever thing people think need to complain about.
If you are so convinced about FCPX, please let other people to have their doubts and express them, and think that what fits for you might not fit for me.
BTW, there is a great "FCPX Techniques Forum" if you haven't noticed.

[alban egger] "There is one problem in Apple´s approach: they should offer a trial so people would use it before posting here. there are so many misunderstandings that people post here without even knowing what they talk about."
If they did so, is possible this Forum wouldn't exist.
They had to release FCPX as kind of Alien.
Only if its stuck in the mouth of enough un-aware people, would have a chance to survive.
They got it.
rafael

Return to posts index

Leo Hans
on Jul 23, 2011 at 10:46:16 pm

Rafael,
I wonder why It's ok to spit to FCPX but not to defend it.

Premiere doesn't got this popular but for the FCPX controversy. It's not Premiere laurels. It's the most similar NLE to FPC7 and thus is the easy way to go.

IMHO, Premiere it's not the future, but a reincarnation of the past.

Time will tell who is wrong about that.

Leo Hans

Return to posts index

Flavio G. García
on Jul 23, 2011 at 11:10:30 pm

Leo, relax!.

That´s the kind of bold statement I was referring to before.

"Avid is death".

"Premiere is the past".

And so on...

No one knows about the future, but really... Why does it have to be in Apple´s hands?.

Guess what?. With the original FCP, we heard thousands of times things like that:

"FCP is the future".

"Students are using it, so all films will be edited in FCP very soon".

"It´s the new thing".

And now, the original FCP does not exists any more.

What you need to understand is, apart from the software itself, is that there is a question of trust in Apple. They have a history in killing applications: DVD Studio, Color, Shake, FC Server...

No one knows what will happen, but you sound a little "over the top".

Chill out.

Flavio G. Garc

Return to posts index

Leo Hans
on Jul 23, 2011 at 11:15:27 pm

Flavio,
I am not stressed. I wonder why everybody is about FCPX.

Never said Avid is dead. I said that premiere is a copy of FCP (again, IMHO).

"No one knows about the future, but really... Why does it have to be in Apple´s hands?."

It not has to be being Apple, It has to be with Apple being the only one trying to innovate instead of adding little things.

I dobut adding wings to a car is the best way to invent an airplane.

Leo Hans

Return to posts index

Flavio G. García
on Jul 23, 2011 at 11:30:31 pm

I was giving examples of "known bold statements" repeated from time to time.

It not has to be being Apple, It has to be with Apple being the only one trying to innovate instead of adding little things.

That is your opinion, but think about this:

Who was the first to offer native h.264 editing?.

Adobe.

Who was second?.

Avid.

Meaning... In some areas, FCP X is not really innovating, but catching up with others.

Metadata?.

Strongly implemented in Adobe applications, and inside Premiere Pro (XMP certified), where you can actually organize things in smart collections using Adobe Bridge, integrated with Premiere.

Not saying Apple doesn´t innovate, just saying the world is bigger and everything is relative.

People react to your opinions because they sound a little "my way, or the highway".

Problem is when you need a car, and a company offers you a plane that only flights where the company wants.

Peace.

Flavio G. Garc

Return to posts index

Rob Tinworth
on Jul 23, 2011 at 11:44:21 pm

"I dobut adding wings to a car is the best way to invent an airplane."

Are you kidding?! If you add wings to your car you know what you get? A flying car!

How freakin awesome would that be?

Just like if you'd added a bunch of great features to FCP7 instead of trying to reinvent the car.

Rob Tinworth
http://www.1021.tv

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Jul 24, 2011 at 12:11:02 pm

[Leo Hans] "I wonder why It's ok to spit to FCPX but not to defend it.

Premiere doesn't got this popular but for the FCPX controversy. It's not Premiere laurels. It's the most similar NLE to FPC7 and thus is the easy way to go.

Time will tell who is wrong about that."

Leo,
I don't use PP. I've never considered going there till FCPX's release.
I edit with FC since 2.002 and I was hopping Apple would give me the tools to keep working another 10 years.

I'm not spitting on FCPX.
You haven't read any comment against FCPX on my posts..
FCPX is an option that I may consider in the future. At the moment no point to waist time with a NLE that doesn't lets me do my work.

Anyway, lets don't dramatize those discussions. They have been always like that. There is still a "Platforms War Forum" in the COW. The NLE's war has been going for years, and now the war is inside Apple users.
Mac/apple users we have been often accused of our almost religious faith in our favorite brand.
I've to recognize my faith since 1.993 that I bough my first Mac.
In the pass was very easy to dismiss critics because mot came from outside.
Now the critics are from inside. From people nobody can say "they are against Apple".
From people that after years asking Apple for solutions they feel ripped-off with a 300$$ inoperative enigma.
this not just Is about shifting NLEs but about planning my professional future and my investments, and i'm talking about many thousands of $$$ in hardware and additional pro software.
Is not about liking or not FCPX, than about trusting Apple.
My point is very simple: Few years ago FCS users were vital for Apple. Now we are behind any iPod Shuffle user, and we won't ever be protagonists again.

rafael

PS: I've to recognize i feel very pissed by the chorus of experts, trainers and gurus (that nobody knows where they come from) trying to sell this stuff. The technical level shown in the "FCPX Technique Forum" is to cry. I would like to see many FCPX advocators editing with the application.
The best ever marketing operation in the shadows. FCPX is giving money and that's what counts.

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
on Jul 23, 2011 at 11:00:45 pm

"You can still have FCP7 if you need to open a legacy project."

The problem is I'm greedy. I want one piece of software that can handle both the old and the new, old projects, old tape formats, plus the ability to handle new formats and tapeless workflows. Apple's new offering gives me only one way to work, Avid and Adobe offer me both, right now, with multi-cam thrown in.

"Did you blame Sony when U-Matic got outdated in flavor to Betacam SP, and later with DigiBeta? Was Sony fault that you need to have the old recorder and the new one because Betacam SP decks didn't load U-Matic tapes? "

Sony didn't stop supporting U-Matic when BetaCam came out. They not only continued to sell it, they kept improving the features on their U-Matic decks for years after they introduced BetaCam.

"It's not an Apple problem. It's the constantly evolving technology."

Sony did not EOL U-matic on the first day they started selling BetaCam. It is an Apple problem, this is not the standard way of doing business, even in fields of evolving technology.

"What if because the workflow of FCPX in a near future is really faster to edit a project on FCPX than in Premiere or Avid."

I would switch to FCPX. Like I said, this is business. So far I see no evidence of that happening. FCPX's chief design benefits seems to be ease of learning for new editors and ease of use with simple projects. I am both old and complicated, so it doesn't seem to be aimed at me.

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions

Return to posts index

Leo Hans
on Jul 23, 2011 at 11:09:50 pm

"I would switch to FCPX. Like I said, this is business. So far I see no evidence of that happening. FCPX's chief design benefits seems to be ease of learning for new editors and ease of use with simple projects. I am both old and complicated, so it doesn't seem to be aimed at me"

That's the main reason to wait until doing unneeded desperate moves.

PS: Nobody disagree with you about Apple having to stop supporting FCPS3.

Leo Hans

Return to posts index

Andrew Rendell
on Jul 26, 2011 at 4:59:18 am

[Vladimir Talijan] "And just one thing, why the hell you want to import old finished project ever ?"

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha, rofl...

We don't open old projects or use tape for delivery or any of those other old fashioned things because we want to, we do those things because we have to.

Return to posts index

Tom Daigon
on Jul 26, 2011 at 3:38:46 pm

[Vladimir Talijan] "And just one thing, why the hell you want to import old finished project ever ?"

Another glaring example of the difference between Prosumer and Professional use of editing software. This person doesnt understand what goes on in a video production facility environment that has long standing relationships with clients. And the necessity to accommodate their clients numerous and varied needs. The demands this person puts on their NLE is much different then that of a higher end work environment.

Tom Daigon

Return to posts index

Leo Hans
on Jul 26, 2011 at 7:10:41 pm

Tom,
I am not saying you are wrong, but not all of the high end projects needs that.
I work at the high end advertising industry and rarely we reopen old projects.
So, what is the high end pro market? Mine or yours? neither one.
There are different requirements along all the different market segments.
Some may fit well in the FCPX actual workflow and some may don't, but neither of this things can define what pro high end is.

Leo Hans

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]