FORUMS: list search recent posts

Blackmagic Design - New Software update 8.2 ?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark Dobson
Blackmagic Design - New Software update 8.2 ?
on Jul 21, 2011 at 12:12:33 pm

Anybody know what benefits this Blackmagic Design Software update 8.2 update provides apart from from Lion compatibility ?

For example will it allow for external HDMI monitoring?

I'm sure the answer is no but I might be wrong.

.............................................................................................

New software update 8.2 for DeckLink, Intensity, Multibridge and H.264 Pro Recorder products is available for download now!

(Milpitas, California--July 20, 2011) Blackmagic Design today released a new software update for its desktop video products that adds full support for the new Mac OS X 10.7 Lion. This Desktop Video 8.2 software update includes support for Apple’s new Core Video and Core Audio processing pipelines for professional grade video and audio functionality across a wide variety of applications.

Core Media is the new exciting way video hardware devices capture and playback to software applications and it's the future of video API's on the Mac OS X platform. Blackmagic Design is the first company to support this new standard, right from the very first day it's available to customers. Now all developers can design modern 64 bit video software and get high performance capture and playback to hardware, while having the benefit of high quality broadcast solutions for video with new Core Media technology.

“Our close relationship with Apple has enabled Blackmagic Design to take full advantage of the many exciting new features in Mac OS X 10.7 Lion, such as Core Video and Core Audio, from the very first day of its release,” said Grant Petty, CEO, Blackmagic Design. ”Our customers are constantly looking for performance improvements to their workflows and they will not be disappointed when they upgrade to the incredible new performance of Mac OS X 10.7 and Blackmagic Design products.”
This new software update supports all of Blackmagic Design’s DeckLink, Intensity, Multibridge and H.264 Pro Recorder products.

Availability and Price
Desktop Video 8.2 software update is available now free of charge for all DeckLink, Multibridge, Intensity and H.264 Pro Recorder customers from the Blackmagic Design web support page at http://www.blackmagic-design.com/support.

About Blackmagic Design
Blackmagic Design creates the world’s highest quality video editing products, color correctors, video converters, video monitoring, routers, live production switchers, disk recorders, waveform monitors and film restoration software for the feature film, post production and television broadcast industries. Blackmagic Design’s DeckLink capture cards launched a revolution in quality and affordability, while the company’s DaVinci Emmy™ award winning color correction products have dominated the television and film industry since 1984. Blackmagic Design continues ground breaking innovations including stereoscopic 3D and 4K workflows. Founded by world leading post production editors and engineers, Blackmagic Design has offices in the USA, UK, Japan, Singapore, and Australia. For more information, please check http://www.blackmagic-design.com.

Return to posts index

Andrew Richards
Re: Blackmagic Design - New Software update 8.2 ?
on Jul 21, 2011 at 1:12:40 pm

I previously speculated Lion might offer a way to deliver broadcast monitoring to FCPX via its now public AVFoundation APIs (the same set of APIs FCPX is built upon). It looks like that is not the case, and that Apple will need to open some kind of hooks into FCPX to enable real broadcast monitoring. Note that FCPX doesn't yet offer full screen support in Lion, which is almost certainly a design consideration of the new UI. FCPX 10.0.1 will need to come out to unlock that goodie, so maybe the XML API (and other APIs?) that Apple promised a few weeks ago in their FAQ will come on that update as well. The timing seems about right ("in the next few weeks").

[Mark Dobson] "Core Media is the new exciting way video hardware devices capture and playback to software applications and it's the future of video API's on the Mac OS X platform. Blackmagic Design is the first company to support this new standard, right from the very first day it's available to customers. Now all developers can design modern 64 bit video software and get high performance capture and playback to hardware, while having the benefit of high quality broadcast solutions for video with new Core Media technology. "

I guess Apple went to the trouble of baking all that CoreMedia goodness into OS X for soccer moms and hobbyists... (sarcasm not directed at you, but rather at the angry mob insisting Apple doesn't care about creative pros)

Best,
Andy

Return to posts index

Mark Dobson
on Jul 21, 2011 at 2:05:05 pm

Well it's got to come at some stage or I will seriously consider becoming a hobbyist. Maybe a soccer mum in my next life . . or a software developer

thanks for your brainy insight

Return to posts index

Joel Arvidsson
on Jul 21, 2011 at 2:10:42 pm

It was really nice to read something good about lion. The only other features you can read of apple site is with gestures and other (to me) pointless features. I hope that AJA rewrite there drivers soon. Not taking any chance to try lion on any workstations in some weeks thou.

joelarvidsson@gmail.com

Return to posts index

Andrew Richards
on Jul 21, 2011 at 2:41:59 pm

Never jump on a new major OS rev at .0 for critical workstations, but there are lots of good things in the guts of Lion that Apple doesn't trumpet because they don't appeal to curious iPad owners that might be considering their first Mac. Apple may not focus on the tech roots in there marketing, but Lion is one of, if not the most significant updates to OS X's underpinnings in some time. It is a long read, but John Siracusa's exhaustive review at Ars Technica gets into it all.

Best,
Andy

Return to posts index

Chris Kenny
on Jul 21, 2011 at 11:10:24 pm

[Andrew Richards] "Apple may not focus on the tech roots in there marketing, but Lion is one of, if not the most significant updates to OS X's underpinnings in some time. It is a long read, but John Siracusa's exhaustive review at Ars Technica gets into it all."

Some of what he mentions about Core Storage has particularly interesting implications for video pros in the long run, though so far it looks like Apple is just doing preliminary groundwork.

--
Digital Workflow/Colorist, Nice Dissolve.

You should follow me on Twitter here. Or read our blog.

Return to posts index

T. Payton
on Jul 21, 2011 at 3:05:04 pm

Just curious, I hear all this talk about av foundation. However, on the apple dev site, it states that av foundation is part of iOS, while core media, core audio, core video, etc. is for Mac OS X. Is the dev site incorrect?

------
T. Payton
OneCreative, Albuquerque

Return to posts index

Chris Walsh
on Jul 21, 2011 at 3:13:04 pm

They have a dense page with a handy illustration of the relationship:

http://developer.apple.com/library/ios/#DOCUMENTATION/AudioVideo/Conceptual...

They also mention any intriguing structure called a "Track" in the AVAsset class:

"Each of the individual pieces of media data in the asset is of a uniform type and called a TRACK. In a typical simple case, one TRACK represents the audio component, and another represents the video component; in a complex composition, however, there may be multiple overlapping TRACKS of audio and video. Assets may also have metadata."

I really like this "track" idea.

Chris Walsh

http://www.musicfog.com
Silver Spring, MD
Final Cut & AVID MC5
Former Windows User and edit* lover

Return to posts index

Andrew Richards
on Jul 21, 2011 at 3:27:37 pm

[Chris Walsh] "They also mention any intriguing structure called a "Track" in the AVAsset class:

"Each of the individual pieces of media data in the asset is of a uniform type and called a TRACK. In a typical simple case, one TRACK represents the audio component, and another represents the video component; in a complex composition, however, there may be multiple overlapping TRACKS of audio and video. Assets may also have metadata."

I really like this "track" idea."

Be careful you don't conflate AVAsset tracks with respect to components of a media file with how a certain NLE's UI is designed to represent the manipulation of those tracks in a timeline... ;-)

Best,
Andy

Return to posts index

Andrew Richards
on Jul 21, 2011 at 3:19:20 pm

[Timothy Payton] "Just curious, I hear all this talk about av foundation. However, on the apple dev site, it states that av foundation is part of iOS, while core media, core audio, core video, etc. is for Mac OS X. Is the dev site incorrect?"

It is out of date, as of yesterday. Lion adds AVFoundation to OS X. The Dev sites will be out of date for several days while Apple updates them. AVFoundation is a superset of CoreMedia, CoreVideo, CoreAudio, and CoreAnimation. It allows developers to write less code if they are tacking common media handling tasks like dealing with MOV files. The lower level CoreMedia, CoreVideo, CoreAudio, and CoreAnimation APIs are there for doing things at a more granular level of control that AVFoundation might offer.

Best,
Andy

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]