FORUMS: list search recent posts

Decklink driver update...

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
marcus lyall
Decklink driver update...
on Jul 21, 2011 at 10:43:06 am

Updated for lion. No mention of fcp x though...
So black magic haven't got the 'hooks' figured out yet.

A colleague of mine who writes avideo app for mac told me how shafted he felt when qt x came out.
Completely crap for dev work. Buggy as anything. Still doesn't work properly...
Now i know how he feels.
Be nice to hear something upbeat from a developer. One of these outfits that are supposedly going to save the day... Anyone?

Return to posts index

Nick Toth
Re: Decklink driver update...
on Jul 21, 2011 at 11:32:09 am

The paragraph below the list of supported devices mentions X.

Return to posts index

Andrew Richards
on Jul 21, 2011 at 12:59:17 pm

[marcus lyall] "A colleague of mine who writes avideo app for mac told me how shafted he felt when qt x came out. Completely crap for dev work. Buggy as anything. Still doesn't work properly..."/I>

QuickTime X, which is really just the player app written on QTKit, wasn't a fully-realized replacement for the old QuickTIme APIs. Apple seems to have abandoned development of QTKit and has moved on to AVFoundation, which is the 64 bit successor to the old QuickTime APIs and is only a public OS X API starting with Lion (though it did first appear on iOS in iOS 3).

FCPX is built on AVFoundation, and Apple wants developers dealing with time-based media to call upon AVFoundation for all relevant work moving forward. The earliest anyone would have been able to start coding in earnest with AVFoundation would realistically be only the last couple months, unless some enterprising coders dug into it in the Lion betas prior to WWDC11.

The QuickTime brand is just that now, a brand. The old 32 bit QuickTime frameworks are still there in Lion, but they have been deprecated for some time (at the very least with 10.6 and possibly as far back as 10.5, can't recall), and AVFoundation is the way forward for any developer dealing with time-based media in OS X moving forward.

Best,
Andy

Return to posts index

Marvin Holdman
on Jul 21, 2011 at 8:36:56 pm

It's not beneficial for developers to air their gripes publicly. Doesn't make any sense to trash the company that they might have to be in bed with at some time in the future. That being said, I don't think the API's for FCX have been widely released yet. Due, in part, to the release of Lion yesterday. Trust me on this though, the developers (all but a VERY select few) are as "in the dark" as we are, they just can't justify publics rants.

Marvin Holdman
Production Manager
Tourist Network
8317 Front Beach Rd, Suite 23
Panama City Beach, Fl
phone 850-234-2773 ext. 128
cell 850-585-9667
skype username - vidmarv

Return to posts index

marcus lyall
on Jul 21, 2011 at 10:05:37 pm

Anyone dug around in av foundation?
No api so far?
It sounds good... My point is...so did qt x...
But it ended up being consumer fluff...
Av foundation. No grab function. No output hooks so far...
Not so promising....
If there's no functions in the code, very tricky to program..

Lots being done on the gpu.
Difficult to sync with stable frame rate video output maybe?

Not an expert, but how pro friendly is the underlying code?

Return to posts index

marcus lyall
on Jul 22, 2011 at 5:52:23 pm

Banging on here a bit but...
Resolve seems to work with the new Decklink drivers and Lion.
And outputs broadcast video with correct timing.

But FCP X doesn't...
Someone said AJA are having problems with their hooks into FCP X.
And Blackmagic support Lion, but not FCP X.

I've worked a lot with media servers. One of the big problems is that are often not able to supply a stable frame rate to a broadcast device, like a VTR, because they rely on GPU processes to do the whizzy effects.

The GPU doesn't always sync to the video output card, which needs a steady frame rate. So you get dropped /repeated frames. I believe it's quite tricky to get this timing right. Certainly has been when I've talked to programmers about it.

But if you don't include a 'broadcast quality' video output, or an option to print to tape, you don't have to worry about this. Which is the case with FCP X. It kinda looks OK on a computer screen, and when you output the movie, it renders the effects anyway.

If Resolve can output it's realtime fx to a decklink card using Lion, why can't FCP X?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]