FORUMS: list search recent posts

Do you think 'Sneak Peek' was a good idea?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sohrab Sandhu
Do you think 'Sneak Peek' was a good idea?
on Apr 28, 2011 at 11:25:14 pm

After Larry Jordan had already told us that he had seen the new version and it was a 'Jaw Dropper', do you think 'sneak peek' was a good idea? More so in light of last minute takeover of the supermeet kicking everyone else out.

The favorite line of every expert these days is(rightfully so)

"At this point of time I have more question than answers"

Besides making some of hysterical(As my dear friend Mark wud put it), some of us anxious & some slightly worried, what other purpose has this presentation served?

PS: This post is more of a question rather than opinion.

2.66 GHz 8-core, ATI Radeon HD 4870,
FCS 3, AJA Kona Lhi

"The creative person wants to be a know-it-all. He wants to know about all kinds of things: ancient history, nineteenth-century mathematics, current manufacturing techniques, flower arranging, and hog futures. Because he never knows when these ideas might come together to form a new idea. It may happen six minutes later or six months, or six years down the road. But he has faith that it will happen." -- Carl Ally

Return to posts index

Chris Kenny
Re: Do you think 'Sneak Peek' was a good idea?
on Apr 28, 2011 at 11:39:39 pm

[Sohrab Sandhu] "After Larry Jordan had already told us that he had seen the new version and it was a 'Jaw Dropper', do you think 'sneak peek' was a good idea? More so in light of last minute takeover of the supermeet kicking everyone else out."

Yes. I'd rather have more information than less. Even the "more questions than answers" thing sort of illustrates the point -- before the sneak peek, nobody even knew what questions to ask about the next version of Final Cut. And it's not like the skeptics weren't already out in force.

The whole "Apple is mean for kicking everyone out" thing seems silly. It was a meeting of a Final Cut Pro user group. The biggest Final Cut Pro news in a decade takes precedence over other announcements. And the organizers could have always refused, if they hadn't agreed with that.

--
Digital Workflow/Colorist, Nice Dissolve.

You should follow me on Twitter here. Or read Does FCP X make project files obsolete? on our blog.

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Apr 29, 2011 at 12:47:36 am

You've both make some good points. Time seems to have mellowed you two somewhat.

Personally, I've never been a big fan of Apple's secrecy doctrine as it pertains to the Pro Apps; I think it erodes user confidence, and makes it difficult for businesses to make necessary projections and to determine their future workflows.

In this case, though Apple will still realize a net gain in the long run, I'm not sure that they couldn't have achieved the same gain by simply issuing a press release.
However, all PR is good... Makes no difference if it's good or bad, so long as your product is the one that's getting the buzz. And, Apple managed to steal everyone else's thunder at NAB and beyond, all the way through June. And then, who knows for how long after that??? So, net, net, net, I think it will all prove to be inconsequential to each and every one of us by this time next year.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles
http://www.drwfilms.com

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

A forum host of Creative COW's Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums. Formerly host of the Apple Final Cut Basics, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
on Apr 29, 2011 at 1:26:20 am

as one slightly lashing the hell out of the horse for devils advocate firebrand a bit, - I am just beyond curious as to apple's efforts.
I'm near rapt. I really am. Sure it's Apple.

http://www.ogallchoir.net
promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Apr 29, 2011 at 1:29:46 am

[Aindreas Gallagher] "I'm near rapt. I really am."

Really?

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
Los Angeles

A forum host of Creative COW's Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums. Formerly host of the Apple Final Cut Basics, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
on Apr 29, 2011 at 1:34:01 am

scouts honour. I'm trying to figure out the kit to run it.

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Apr 29, 2011 at 1:37:39 am

You had everyone completely fooled...

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
Los Angeles

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
on Apr 29, 2011 at 2:02:48 am

ah God no - system 7.6 my first day - Apple is Apple is Apple.

Still: no reason not to kick tho?

Return to posts index

Sohrab Sandhu
on Apr 29, 2011 at 1:40:01 am

[Aindreas Gallagher] "as one slightly lashing the hell out of the horse for devils advocate firebrand a bit, - I am just beyond curious as to apple's efforts.
I'm near rapt. I really am. Sure it's Apple."

Oh man! You write difficult english.

As somebody who was brought up outside north-america, I thought i had good knowledge of this language. But your posts put me to shame.I have to read your post 3 times to understand it. lol ;-)

FCS 3, AJA Kona Lhi

"The creative person wants to be a know-it-all. He wants to know about all kinds of things: ancient history, nineteenth-century mathematics, current manufacturing techniques, flower arranging, and hog futures. Because he never knows when these ideas might come together to form a new idea. It may happen six minutes later or six months, or six years down the road. But he has faith that it will happen." -- Carl Ally

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Apr 29, 2011 at 1:49:08 am

[Sohrab Sandhu] "Oh man! You write difficult english. "

He's Irish Sohrab...

Don't sweat it, the English have never understood the Irish either.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
Los Angeles

Return to posts index

Sohrab Sandhu
on Apr 29, 2011 at 2:16:13 am

[David Roth Weiss] "Time seems to have mellowed you two somewhat."

David, you right about that.

Personally, I think i got a little carried away by the way new FCP was announced to be a 'Jaw Dropper'. I was really hoping for something completely out of the box. And given apple's track record, that was not too much to ask for.

However I would be very happy if this new version is solid & stable(with all the wonderful features) & Apple shows a little more evident commitment towards pro-apps.

FCS 3, AJA Kona Lhi

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Apr 29, 2011 at 3:35:52 am

If that wasn't jaw dropping, what is? Nobody said jaw dropping was a good thing.

I think Apples point was to put an end to speculation. Too many people were ready to jump ship to Premiere to edit h264 or Avid for similar reasons. I have been playing with CS5 premiere since my mAtrox now supports it. And fairly recently they also announced support for avid mc. Jumping ship was looking easier than ever. I think if nothing else, the sneak peek bought the some time.

Return to posts index

Sohrab Sandhu
on Apr 29, 2011 at 3:54:52 am

[Bret Williams] "If that wasn't jaw dropping, what is?"

For me 'Jaw Dropper' is something unexpected(Pleasant preferably) & i am sure it is the same for everybody else here.

So lets take this argument a little further.

64 bit application was unexpected?

Native support for H.264 was unexpected?

Background rendering was unexpected?

New UI was unexpected?

Better audio tools were unexpected?

Not trying to belittle apple's work(Not that i really can), but one has to be caveman if he thinks these things were unexpected.

FCS 3, AJA Kona Lhi

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Apr 29, 2011 at 4:59:34 am

[Sohrab Sandhu] " I was really hoping for something completely out of the box."

So you expected this and got it too. It's certainly out of the box. There is no box. Mac App Store instead.

I don't think people expected Magnetic Timeline and Smart bins or whatever they're calling it. I don't think people were expecting $299 either.

Return to posts index

Andy Mees
on Apr 29, 2011 at 1:11:42 pm

I can't imagine anyone was surprised by Smart Bins.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Apr 29, 2011 at 3:16:05 pm

I wasn't expecting anything beyond facial recognition in smart bins. I didn't think they'd attempt two shots etc. Of course we don't know how well they'll work (iPhoto certainly doesn't think my cat is a face to recognize) but they did go beyond my expectations in their attempt at least.

Return to posts index

Andy Mees
on Apr 29, 2011 at 3:24:51 pm

I get you ... yeah, the depth of the shot analysis / automated metadata tagging was surprising ... and by extension that does lend itself directly for use with the "Smart" collections. Good stuff.

Return to posts index

Arnie Schlissel
on Apr 29, 2011 at 4:33:51 pm

On the whole, I think the Sneak Peek was a good idea.

Before this there was a small but loud group threatening to switch to Premiere if Apple didn't update FCP to do things like edit AVCHD/h.264 natively. That chorus is no longer singing. (Of course, it's also possible that they've all switched, and are to busy trying to figure out PP to post on internet forums.)

I would like it more if Apple had followed up by posting a page or 2 detailing FCP-X's features and some specs, maybe even a draft of the manual or quick start guide.

But Apple is a company that is secretive by habit, such openness is probably very difficult for them to accommodate themselves to.

What would you rather have? An Apple that tells us nothing until it's carved in stone? Or a Red that glibly announces any speculative project that they dream up with a note that all specs & prices are subject to change? Truth is, I'd rather not have either extreme, there has to be a happy middle.

Arnie
Post production is not an afterthought!
http://www.arniepix.com/

Return to posts index

Richard Herd
on Apr 29, 2011 at 7:52:23 pm

The draw dropping part was the magnetic-get-out-of-the-way thing and the selectable areas where you can then apply effects, to the selectable area, and if you want to make an audition between 3 changes, play them and pick the one you want. All done right there in the not-a-timeline. The way footage is marked up is awesome. Apple is not inventing the l-cut and j-cut but it will very nice to edit (and finish?!*) in the way they showed in the preview.

*Which brings me to the color timing and color sync topics, both draw dropping.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]