FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCPX here to stay, never gonna change?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Vincent Strader
FCPX here to stay, never gonna change?
on Jul 20, 2011 at 4:43:49 pm

One or two of you MIGHT recall my name and remembering that I work for a municipal government office.

Budgets & time are always extremely tight. My manager read many negative articles on FCPX and suggested for now we just stay with FCP7 since it still does what we need to do.

I'm OK with that. But on the flip side I started wondering if we should get FCPX anyway. It's only 299 and we can afford that I think. Although most cities are clamping down big time with budgets and that might even be too much to ask for. I haven't approached him yet since he told me to stick with FCP7.

Would it be OK to wait for upgrades to X? Or would the people in here suggest getting it now to learn it, so that when upgrades come I will not be a total green thumb in the future? Or does it matter?

The positive side of my mind just says, "Get it, learn it, and adapt to it, so you know it in the future.."

And.. should I at lease upgrade to Lion or stay with 10.5.8

Oh.. the subject line.. what I meant by that. If people think that Apple is going to morph FCPX into the next Imovie, and eventually give us a FCP8 with what all the industry pros desired.. then I'll definitely stay with FCP7 for now. But I know it's difficult to look into a crystal ball.

Vinnie
---
24, LOST, Prison Break, FRINGE, Supernatural, DEXTER, Breaking Bad, CHUCK, Flash Forward, HEROES...even SMALLVILLE in the latter seasons.. they've all ruined my movie going experience by being better than so many movies out today.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
Re: FCPX here to stay, never gonna change?
on Jul 20, 2011 at 4:49:20 pm

Get whatever you need when you need it. FCP X is a new App and has nothing to do whatsoever with the app you're using. There's no guarantee that it will be any sort of a need to learn sort of standard. I would probably look at the Premiere bundle in your situation if you use other apps like PS or AE.

Return to posts index

Chris Kenny
on Jul 20, 2011 at 5:03:30 pm

[Vincent Strader] "Oh.. the subject line.. what I meant by that. If people think that Apple is going to morph FCPX into the next Imovie, and eventually give us a FCP8 with what all the industry pros desired.. then I'll definitely stay with FCP7 for now. But I know it's difficult to look into a crystal ball."

I think Apple is entirely serious about this app as a successor to FCP 7. More features will be added, but Apple is not going to go back to something more closely resembling the old interface.

--
Digital Workflow/Colorist, Nice Dissolve.

You should follow me on Twitter here. Or read our blog.

Return to posts index

David A Fenton
on Jul 20, 2011 at 5:07:08 pm

Get it, learn, adapt and enjoy.

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Jul 20, 2011 at 5:14:01 pm

[Vincent Strader] "Would it be OK to wait for upgrades to X? Or would the people in here suggest getting it now to learn it, so that when upgrades come I will not be a total green thumb in the future? Or does it matter?"

It can't hurt to learn the basics, but in all honesty, version 1 is so far from where it needs to be at this point that learning it now is a 50/50 proposition. By the time it's really a fully capable application it may be very different - in fact, it might even have a source viewer.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles
http://www.drwfilms.com

Don't miss my new tutorial: Prepare for a seamless transition to FCP X and OS X Lion
http://library.creativecow.net/weiss_roth_david/FCP-10-MAC-Lion/1

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums.

Return to posts index

Jamie Franklin
on Jul 20, 2011 at 8:01:21 pm

[David Roth Weiss] "it might even have a source viewer."

When are we starting the bets?

I bet never...stakes?

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jul 20, 2011 at 5:48:55 pm

[Vincent Strader] "I work for a municipal government office."

It may depend on what you're shooting with and turnaround and delivery needed.

If you're doing ENG and VNR work and shooting on AVCHD, then FCPX will speed your turnaround time incredibly.

If you're doing broadcast work you may bump into some of the shortcomings.

If you're doing simple editing in the field on a MacBookPro and need fast turnaround it'll be well worth the $300.

If you have staff that aren't professional editors but get drafted into editing at times, the learning curve for FCPX could be faster than FCP7.

Return to posts index

Andrew Richards
on Jul 20, 2011 at 6:02:00 pm

[Vincent Strader] "And.. should I at lease upgrade to Lion or stay with 10.5.8"

I'd start with updating to Snow Leopard first. You need it to get Lion anyway, at least until they start shipping the USB sticks with Lion installers on them next month.

Best,
Andy

Return to posts index

Gary Pollard
Re: Should I learn something new?
on Jul 21, 2011 at 1:58:50 am

Maybe every second of your time is packed with productivity.

If not, to me this question is always a no-brainer. It's fun too.

____

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it"

Return to posts index

Marvin Holdman
Re: Should I learn something new?
on Jul 21, 2011 at 2:00:57 am

If you want to put your boss to work editing his own video's, get it.

If YOU need to get some work done, use something else.

Marvin Holdman
Production Manager
Tourist Network
8317 Front Beach Rd, Suite 23
Panama City Beach, Fl
phone 850-234-2773 ext. 128
cell 850-585-9667
skype username - vidmarv

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]