FORUMS: list search recent posts

...Meanwhile over in Crazy Town, Smoke launches on the Mac.

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Aindreas Gallagher
...Meanwhile over in Crazy Town, Smoke launches on the Mac.
on Apr 28, 2011 at 12:24:33 am

http://www.macvideo.tv/motion-graphics-vfx/interviews/?articleid=3276183&ol...

I remember in my first job trying to learn Flint (very badly), which is quite a lot of what is now Smoke - there were a billion manuals and, with a *second hand* indigo 2 extreme hardware, the whole thing came to nearly a quarter of a million - and well, smoke is in the osx dock now, which I find insane.

p.s. - a mate, who is a smoke op, looked at the new FCP interface off the demo and declared it rather tasty. its worth keeping in mind. I'm insanely curious how much control we have say, on the looks compartment shown in the screenshot, in a two monitor setup. apple - please let there be controls.

so... would they have dared include a tracker in FCPX? sure they're sitting on one.

so say maybe the real issue is - given they have massive software tools out of color - is the app the same as it was? because there is surely no way apple are not going to sell color and at least motion in the store - they're each potentially half billion dollar revenue streams per first annum off 100 dollar price tags with a potential 3-5 million customer base out of the FCPX honeypot. (that's a maybe, but its at least a half a billion combined)

so maybe the question is - what does apple do with the technology in hand? how do they apportion it? how much of color is in FCPX - does it have the tracker for masks do we think?
and, if it's true that color survives - what exactly does color look like? what are the transport mechanisms now? have apple chewed the code?
should color contain a camera?

mmmm.

http://www.ogallchoir.net
promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics

Return to posts index

Brian Mulligan
Re: ...Meanwhile over in Crazy Town, Smoke launches on the Mac.
on Apr 28, 2011 at 11:51:36 am

Smoke has been on the MAC since Dec of 2009. V2012 is the 4th software release for the mac platform. The difference is Smoke is $15K and FCPX is $299.00.

Can you really compare the two?

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
on Apr 28, 2011 at 12:19:41 pm

ara yeah - I was just throwing up the video for the hell of it - and no there's not really much comparing the two, I just thought It'd be interesting to think how much of color apple would put in FCPX is all...

speculationnn..

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Apr 28, 2011 at 2:30:17 pm

That option to perform auto motion stabilization on ingest feature kind of implies that x has a tracker in it, doesn't it? Might not be as fully-featured, but still....

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Apr 28, 2011 at 6:35:56 pm

Well, strictly speaking, iMovie can perform perform "auto motion stabilization on ingest" but when I last looked it didn't have a tracker! Not to say there won't be one on FCPX, but I'd have thought this is just a variant on SmoothCam, isn't it?

Simon Ubsdell
Director/Editor/Writer
http://www.tokyo-uk.com

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
on Apr 28, 2011 at 6:58:24 pm

yes, probabaly - that's true. I'm just curious how its going to play.

Like say.. what if the timeline/app linking was so strong that apple could just open you into colour with the timeline sitting there live - you still see the bins, the media's below, you can edit it, but you've now got nodes above along with the viewer - that'd be rather smoke like maybe?

There's a thing one of the guys said, that they suspect the whole project is a database now - that smart bins are making database queries, so no more saving amongst other things - I was wondering does anyone have a view as to how much that kind of full blown live project database would impact application linking? I'm totally making this up as a I go, I should add. I've hardly ever used the current roundtripping stuff except for with soundtrack pro sort of.

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
on Apr 28, 2011 at 6:59:52 pm

yep, she do at that - I would like a tracker in X i think. oh X, what will you be..

Return to posts index

Sohrab Sandhu
on Apr 28, 2011 at 4:02:27 pm

Any ideas what transpired at LAFCPUG meet last night?

Apparently Larry Jordan was the key speaker & he discussed what the new interface has to offer. But that's all I know.

Any more info anybody?

2.66 GHz 8-core, ATI Radeon HD 4870,
FCS 3, AJA Kona Lhi

"The creative person wants to be a know-it-all. He wants to know about all kinds of things: ancient history, nineteenth-century mathematics, current manufacturing techniques, flower arranging, and hog futures. Because he never knows when these ideas might come together to form a new idea. It may happen six minutes later or six months, or six years down the road. But he has faith that it will happen." -- Carl Ally

Return to posts index

Chris Borjis
on Apr 28, 2011 at 4:19:30 pm

[Aindreas Gallagher] "a mate, who is a smoke op, looked at the new FCP interface off the demo and declared it rather tasty"

as did i.

I've got a smoke 3.6.1* sitting in the basement...worthless now but cost a 1/4 mill back in the day.

The interface for fcp x reminded me of it too.

Return to posts index

Robb Albrecht
on Apr 28, 2011 at 6:01:01 pm

I really want to like Autodesk apps but the interface kills me......

Robb

Return to posts index

Alan Okey
on Apr 28, 2011 at 6:11:07 pm

[Robb Albrecht] "I really want to like Autodesk apps but the interface kills me......
"

Thats funny, I always loved Combustion and hated After Effects in no small part due to their respective interfaces. I absolutely love the pen/tablet-centric UI in Autodesk's applications. I appreciate the way the UI gets out of the way and lets you get to the task at hand, rather than forcing you to manage an ungodly mess of palettes and windows. AE must be the most popular app in the world with such an atrocious UI.

Of course, I've also heard that to really be fast in Smoke, you need to have a thorough command of its keyboard shortcuts...

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on Apr 28, 2011 at 10:19:51 pm

[Alan Okey] "I always loved Combustion and hated After Effects in no small part due to their respective interfaces."

Apple took on much of (all of?) the Combustion team many years ago. I've lost track of those guys since then, and have no idea what they're doing now, but the first product to come out of their new efforts was Motion.

I wouldn't draw even a single conclusion about FCP X from that, except to say observe that it went even further down the interface redefinition road than Combustion did. In that sense, it might be another glimpse of what Apple is thinking about minimizing the importance of the timeline.

In any case, I agree that it's quite understandable why Discrete-desk artists are intrigued by what they've seen of FCP X so far.

Return to posts index

Chris Borjis
on Apr 28, 2011 at 10:56:14 pm

[Alan Okey] "I've also heard that to really be fast in Smoke, you need to have a thorough command of its keyboard shortcuts..."

We hired a free-lance smoke editor once for a pretty sophisticated job (tons of animated elements and keying required) that had to be done in an impossible short time.

Watching her push the limits of that then cutting edge SGI hardware was a sight to behold!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]