FORUMS: list search recent posts

lost parts of editing at FCP

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Luciana Queiroz
lost parts of editing at FCP
on Apr 27, 2011 at 8:49:20 pm

I'm editing a project in the Final Cut Pro 7.0.2
Everyday after work, I use to save the project and shut down the computer and the external HD. Yesterday, I saved the project but I didn't close it and also did not turn off the computer and the external HD. When I started my editing today I found out that a couple of folders were missing and a lot of things that I've done on the timeline weren't there. Like if I had opened the project from 2 weeks ago. The weirdest thing is that the last thing I have done in the project still there.
Please, does anyone know what might had happened and how can I fix it? I have to finish this project by next week and I lost a lot of things...
Thanks, I'll cross my fingers!
Luciana

Return to posts index

Sohrab Sandhu
Re: lost parts of editing at FCP
on Apr 27, 2011 at 10:42:00 pm

Please post your question in Final Cut Pro forum. This is FCP X forum.

2.66 GHz 8-core, ATI Radeon HD 4870,
FCS 3, AJA Kona Lhi

"The creative person wants to be a know-it-all. He wants to know about all kinds of things: ancient history, nineteenth-century mathematics, current manufacturing techniques, flower arranging, and hog futures. Because he never knows when these ideas might come together to form a new idea. It may happen six minutes later or six months, or six years down the road. But he has faith that it will happen." -- Carl Ally

Return to posts index

Jerry Alto
on Apr 27, 2011 at 10:49:43 pm

Luciana- Quit out of FCP and go find the project you saved before you shut down yesterday. Launch FCP by double-clicking that project file. You should be good to go. If that project file is somehow corrupted then go to your auto-saved project files and launch the back-up that is closest (time wise) to when you quit yesterday.
HTH,
Jerry

MacPro 2.93 Quad
FCP7
Sony Z-1
GV-HD700

Return to posts index

Luciana Queiroz
on Apr 28, 2011 at 11:21:31 am

Thank you!
I found a very close version from where I was at the auto-save.
Best,
Luciana

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
on Apr 27, 2011 at 11:59:57 pm

well this is the town for going nuts on the upcoming X version... but if you've made the save, you should basically be fine - if you don't trust the saved file - navigate to the autosave folder - and open up a few of the autosaves running up to your last save - the default is 30 minutes i think - they're all time stamped and they're in your final cut pro documents folder, you should be ok working a good version out of there.

Do it as a clean start tho - if you're storing footage off an external drive, boot her up, boot the mac, then head for the autosave folder, root through the recent saves.

http://www.ogallchoir.net
promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Apr 28, 2011 at 2:33:41 pm

That last post suggest that the order in which things are or are not powered down can really have an effect on what FCP is looking for and how it finds it. To get the topic back to FCP-x, i wonder how the new metadata-centric format will handle this kind of thing. My impression is that since the metadata seems to travel with the other files more tightly in X, this kind of problem may soon be less of a problem. Or just mutate into a whole DIFFERENT kind of problem:-) Thoughts?

Return to posts index

Richard Herd
on Apr 28, 2011 at 5:04:41 pm

Oh boy. The idea of metadata being the driver of all things FCPX makes me cringe. I see the future: we'll be buying 3rd party apps for $49.99 that allow us to open a piece of media and reset/change/refresh the metadata.

Someone will post: How come my media will not import into FCPX?

Mr. Biscardi's excellently detailed and pithy comment will, on the one hand, explain the metadata problem, point them to a reasonably priced app, and finally explain how to configure the camera to record proper metadata.

Mr. Garchow will then explain his workaround and point to another app.

Mr. Ross will explain his workaround and explain that for one camera he uses this app and the other camera the other app.

Susko cracks a joke.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Apr 28, 2011 at 5:40:26 pm

And Richard .....?

Return to posts index

Richard Herd
on Apr 28, 2011 at 7:47:38 pm

I Herd the cows.

Return to posts index