FORUMS: list search recent posts

New blog post about possible features

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeremy Garchow
New blog post about possible features
on Jul 18, 2011 at 8:09:37 pm

From Alex4D:

Could be old stuff that was canned, or new stuff that hasn't been turned on yet.

http://alex4d.wordpress.com/2011/07/18/secret-fcpx-xml-multi-user-editing/

I have to say, people are really up in arms about the event and project model in FCPx.

After seeing it for myself, it seems that this model is ripe for multiuser sharing. Why else would the event or project be named "current version" on the Finder level? It seems to allude to other versions for other uses/users. Also, the event and timelines aren't locked in to a traditional project like they are in FCP7 because they exist on the Finder level. This seems that it would be easier for multiple people to have/gain access to these files rather than have multiple projects to take care of or check out, or export an XML or whatever. Also, with the Merge Events option, this all seems like it might be a no brainer for sharing.

Maybe I am getting ahead of myself, but whatever. The logic seems to be right there at the Finder.

Can't wait to hear and see more.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

TImothy Auld
Re: New blog post about possible features
on Jul 18, 2011 at 8:57:32 pm

Interesting, Jeremy. For me they have until the end of August, then I'll have to make a decision.
It would be just like apple to develop, over several years, a piece of software that blows everything
else away - at least market wise - and then of course i'd have to buy it and risk having the rug pulled
out from under me yet again. There truly is no business like show business.

bigpine

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jul 18, 2011 at 9:24:04 pm

[TImothy Auld] "For me they have until the end of August"

That's a pretty tight deadline! :)

I am going to wait for Lion, then 6 months. If there's no announcements or news, we will THINK about moving on. This also gives Avid some time to catch up with AJA and 3rd party capture cards.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jul 18, 2011 at 10:15:38 pm

When I first started to play with FCPX what now seems like many weeks ago (nearly a month) I thought the Event/Project/Metadata was pointing towards a future seat on a server based system. I really think FCPX will eventually be a facility level tool. I don't mean to imply people should wait but at least the cost of moving to another NLE has never been lower. Those that go away may be coming back down the road a bit.

Return to posts index

David Battistella
on Jul 18, 2011 at 10:51:31 pm

I think a lot of Final Cut Sever was rolled into FCPX. Eventually we will probably see FCP x on a San with Lion and various users checking in and out files or copying projects to portable drives from the server to work on the go.

FCP users who never saw or took the time to understand the database power of FC server might not be able to grasp what this means but it's powerful file management in large multiuser setups when tens of thousands of pieces of media need to be tracked.

David.

Return to posts index

TImothy Auld
on Jul 19, 2011 at 12:21:43 am

I did see the power of it. If it comes back in X, great. But where'd it go in the first place?

bigpine

Return to posts index

Andrew Richards
on Jul 19, 2011 at 12:10:32 pm

[David Battistella] "FCP users who never saw or took the time to understand the database power of FC server might not be able to grasp what this means but it's powerful file management in large multiuser setups when tens of thousands of pieces of media need to be tracked."

Shared Event and Project Libraries would be a lot more powerful than FCServer was, at least with respect to the editors. I loved FCServer's automation capabilities and scriptability, but my editors always shrugged about it since all the metadata goodness never really translated into something they could see and use in FCP itself. FCPX is poised to be a very powerful workgroup editing tool, if Apple wants to take it there.

Best,
Andy

Return to posts index

David Battistella
on Jul 19, 2011 at 4:58:51 pm

[Andrew Richards] "FCPX is poised to be a very powerful workgroup editing tool, if Apple wants to take it there."

We will have to see.

My hunch is that is exactly what they are after.

David

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jul 19, 2011 at 5:27:01 pm

The database "underneath" it points to that. Which brings me back to this being a facility level tool at some point.

Return to posts index

Robert Brown
on Jul 19, 2011 at 12:34:48 am

From what I'm seeing I think actually this is a good time for NLE products in general. From what I've seen in PPro they are approaching the level of quality and speed of linear bays. Fewer and fewer things need to be rendered and the quality is just like that $300,000 switcher and $200,000 DVE I used to use. Avid is looking very interesting too. Maybe X does evolve into something good I really can't tell what Apple is thinking but I think the entire group of products has bumped up a notch and finally starting to take advantage of the capabilities of the hardware. Competition is a good thing. I wonder how much OT the guys at Adobe, Avid and Apple are pulling these days?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]