FORUMS: list search recent posts

Similarities

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Douglas Morse
Similarities
on Jul 18, 2011 at 7:38:20 pm

This article (http://news.cnet.com/8301-31001_3-20080346-261/is-netflix-killing-dvds-like-apple-killed-floppies-q-a/) about Netflix could easily be said about the change in Final Cut Pro. I'm not saying I agree with the choice Apple made, but this perspective makes it clear why companies make these kinds of changes.

It's about going after the young market as they will be your longest term growth. Final Cut Pro, the earlier versions, were marketed aggressively at younger editors and schools. Perhaps Apple has data that shows FCP has hit a dead end in growth -- especially among younger editors.

I think a lot of the arguments here in this forum are not necessarily pro/not pro but a marked difference between potential customer base.

The only thing I disagree with in the article is that when Apple killed the floppy, they held a tiny share of the PC market and so it's a bit disingenuous to use that as a model.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
Re: Similarities
on Jul 18, 2011 at 8:42:53 pm

Maybe I'm not looking in the same places....but I've noticed a rapid drop off of the flood of posts scared about the death of DVD-Studio Pro.

It kinda parallels my business experience where up to about 6 months ago every single client requested DVD burns for review.

This year, maybe two of my last twenty projects ever got burned to plastic. They all got reviewed and distributed via web upload.

I remember getting stuck with my last order of VHS blanks a decade ago.

It seems like OVERNIGHT, nobody wanted them anymore.

Live and learn.

"Before speaking out ask yourself whether your words are true, whether they are respectful and whether they are needed in our civil discussions."-Justice O'Conner

Return to posts index

Matt Callac
on Jul 18, 2011 at 9:18:52 pm

[Bill Davis] "It seems like OVERNIGHT, nobody wanted them anymore."

I think it had a lot to do with OVERNIGHT, or the cost of Overnighting DVD's via Fedex/UPS. Who wants to pay that when your post facility will only charge you a nominal fee (if anything) for a web upload.

-mattyc

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Jul 18, 2011 at 9:32:34 pm

Also it's hard to ignore Youtube/Vimeo/Flash etc as distribution methods for video. Either you share video or you setup a website for a client to serve it up themselves. Seems like DVDs as a request are becoming less and less- at least in my experience. Not that I don't crank one out occasionally but it's gone way down.

Noah

Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Panasonic GH2 and GoPro HD Hero.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jul 18, 2011 at 10:10:27 pm

I have a much better chance of my clients being able to play a 720p video online than a Blu-ray also. With HD web uploads they feel they're getting more value out of their HD work than SD DVDs.

Given the growth in smart phones it's a lot more convenient to carry the video and show as needed. Sometimes it's not easy to find a DVD player when one is "one the move."

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Jul 18, 2011 at 11:12:29 pm

How do you feel this affects color and sound? It's true Blue-ray has not become ubiquitous. I don’t like taking an HD project and burning a SD DVD. But watching on a computer monitor using the average computer speaker system is not the same as watching on a fairly ubiquitous large HD TV with decent to better sound.

What do you use for your up-loads when the viewing needs to be private?

OSX 10.5.8; MacBookPro4,1 Intel Core 2 Duo 2.5 GHz MacPro4,1 2.66GHz 8 core 12gigs of ram. GPU: Nvidia Geoforce GT120 with Vram 512. OS X 10.6.x; Camcorders: Sony Z7U, Canon HV30/40, Sony vx2000/PD170; FCP 6 certified; write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Jul 18, 2011 at 11:28:56 pm

There's always direct output HDMI to projector/plasma/LCD. Done right that can look amazing. Heck I've even pumped out from 720p YouTube and Vimeo uploads and it's looked great.

Noah

Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Panasonic GH2 and GoPro HD Hero.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jul 18, 2011 at 11:55:26 pm

My home theater system has YouTube access built in.

In my last client meeting I brought my iPad 2 with HDMI cable and hooked it up to the HDTV in the conference room. It's a lot easier then depending on a DVD player of unknown quality. There's nothing like have a disk with playback problems to want to swear off optical media.

I could have sworn a bunch folks in suits were writing down "Purchase iPad for portable presentations" at the last meeting.

If you think "DVD" means tv viewing, you'd be surprised how many were simply tossing into their computer DVD drive to view anyway.

Even services like Vimeo allow password protected viewing and makes it easy to add to one's online creative work. iDisk is (soon to be was) another way to send a link for a client to download.

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Jul 19, 2011 at 12:02:42 am

Thanks.

OSX 10.5.8; MacBookPro4,1 Intel Core 2 Duo 2.5 GHz MacPro4,1 2.66GHz 8 core 12gigs of ram. GPU: Nvidia Geoforce GT120 with Vram 512. OS X 10.6.x; Camcorders: Sony Z7U, Canon HV30/40, Sony vx2000/PD170; FCP 6 certified; write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

Robert Brown
on Jul 19, 2011 at 12:46:36 am

I use Dropsend too. You can upload pretty big files, I even uploaded animations for use in an edit on the other side of the country. Only $15 or $20 a month and you send a link to the file in an email and they don't have to logon and the receiver does not have access to what other stuff you may have uploaded.

Return to posts index

Joseph W. Bourke
on Jul 19, 2011 at 1:55:31 am

You beat me to it Robert! I use Dropbox. A 50GB account costs 100 bucks a year, and I use it not only to send approval files and final delivery to clients, but also as backup and transfer between my laptop, Blackberry, and whatever else I happen to be carrying in my pocket or briefcase.

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media
http://www.bourkemedia.com

Return to posts index

Mitch Ives
on Jul 19, 2011 at 9:17:15 pm

[Bill Davis] "Maybe I'm not looking in the same places....but I've noticed a rapid drop off of the flood of posts scared about the death of DVD-Studio Pro."

Two reasons I think.

(1) because Steve Jobs has been bludgeoning DVDSP to death for a long time now, and people are finally accepting it...

(2) The release of FCPX has so overshadowed everything that people have stopped thinking about the smaller issue of losing DVDSP. Kinda like not worrying about not being able to swim once you realize that the fall is going to kill you...

Mitch Ives
Insight Productions Corp.
mitch@insightproductions.com
http://www.insightproductions.com

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jul 19, 2011 at 9:54:35 pm

Yet despite that iDVD has been EOL, even though it's not available in the App Store, it's still available in the Apple Online store and Apple just release another maintenance update for it. This while DVDStudioPro is no longer available at all.

It would seem that Apple believes consumers may still be making DVDs while "Pro" are moving to other delivery and distribution methods.

I'd just thought I'd brought up the distinctly different treatment iDVD is getting compared to DVDStudioPro.

Return to posts index

Mitch Ives
on Jul 19, 2011 at 10:04:34 pm

[Craig Seeman] "Yet despite that iDVD has been EOL, even though it's not available in the App Store, it's still available in the Apple Online store and Apple just release another maintenance update for it. This while DVDStudioPro is no longer available at all."

I totally forgot about that... I remember being surprised at the iDVD update.

Mitch Ives
Insight Productions Corp.
mitch@insightproductions.com
http://www.insightproductions.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]