FORUMS: list search recent posts

Audio on FCPX - how would you do this?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Herb Sevush
Audio on FCPX - how would you do this?
on Jul 18, 2011 at 5:34:49 pm

When doing interviews I record separate mono audio to each of the 2 tracks. How does FCPX handle getting the following to the timeline - audio 1 only, 2 only, both and all with and without video?

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: Audio on FCPX - how would you do this?
on Jul 18, 2011 at 6:12:57 pm

In the Inspector you can choose to view 2 track audio as mono pairs and from there decide to have both on or one or the other.

Noah

Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Panasonic GH2 and GoPro HD Hero.

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
on Jul 18, 2011 at 6:16:06 pm

Noah -

And I assume you can click back and forth easily, switching between audio channels every time you add something to the timeline?

And as a follow up, how easy would it be to replace an edit that had ch. 1 audio with ch.2 audio.

Thanks.

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Jul 18, 2011 at 6:41:10 pm

It depends how you did it. It's easier if you do the soloing in the inspector to change later- but then you won't be able to edit in the timeline. Worth just trying it out and seeing what works best.

Noah

Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Panasonic GH2 and GoPro HD Hero.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jul 18, 2011 at 6:58:06 pm

Some tricks around this.
In dual mono in the inspector you can turn on and off the individual tracks as desired.

If you use Open In Timeline command on a dual mono clip, you will have the individual clips to be acted upon.

If you Break Apart Clips you will get two separate audio tracks.

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
on Jul 18, 2011 at 8:17:21 pm

Thank you.

On another note is it true that currently there are no time code indicators for source shots on the timeline? In other words is there any way to look at the timeline and see the timecode of the sources used? And if not is the info available in another way, for example, by right clicking and choosing from a menu (this was the PP method in version 1.)

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions

Return to posts index

Robbert-Jan van der Does
on Jul 18, 2011 at 8:58:06 pm

I just ran into this article from Rick Young.

http://www.kenstone.net/fcp_homepage/fcp_x_dual_track_audio_editing_young.h...

Very well explained.

Kind regards,

Robbert-Jan van der Does
lighting cameraman/steadicam operator/editor

WISIWYG (What I See Is What You Get)

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
on Jul 18, 2011 at 9:03:50 pm

Thank you, that explained it nicely.

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions

Return to posts index

Jean-Fran├žois Robichaud
on Jul 19, 2011 at 3:03:08 am

If you select a clip in the timeline and go into the info tab in the inspector window, the in/out TC will be displayed there (maybe not under the basic view though). I do hope Apple provides a better way to view timecode.

Return to posts index

Gregor Queck
on Jul 19, 2011 at 8:41:28 am

Here is a timecde-reder, it displays it nicely on top of the video, perfect:

http://forums.creativecow.net/readpost/335/11205

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
on Jul 19, 2011 at 3:32:43 pm

Gregor -

The way I understand it, this is a filter which you would have to apply to a clip in order to read it's timecode, is that correct? If so where (on the screen) does the timecode window display, and what happens if several clips have he filter on, does it only display the code under the playhead - I don't understand how this would work.

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions

Return to posts index

Gregor Queck
on Jul 19, 2011 at 4:58:26 pm

The way I understand it, this is a filter which you would have to apply to a clip in order to read it's timecode, is that correct?
Correct.
If so where (on the screen) does the timecode window display, and what happens if several clips have he filter on, does it only display the code under the playhead
The timecode can be placed everywhere on the screen, if you open it in Motion, you could even make it display vertically.
Yes, it displays the timecode under the playhead and even under the skimmer, simply try it.

greg

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]