FORUMS: list search recent posts

Issues with Editshare or hardware?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alison Huckett
Issues with Editshare or hardware?
on Jul 18, 2011 at 3:21:34 pm

I work for a small media production company and, like everyone else I guess, we are trying to assess when to get on board with FCPX.

There are often multiple people working on different elements of the same project at the same time, so our Editshare system is essential to us. I just wanted to get a heads up on any issues with FCPX and Editshare, or if anyone knows of any problems we might have. I have done as much research into this as possible and I cant find anything, but if anyone is in a similar situation and is using both Editshare and FCPX, it would be great if you could let us know how you're getting on.

Many thanks : )

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: Issues with Editshare or hardware?
on Jul 18, 2011 at 3:53:58 pm

I'd suggest getting a test install of FCP X to see how it works with your workflow. FCP X is not quite as interchange friendly as FCP 7 was though this is more on a FCP to other applications level. Setting up a workflow from FCP X editor to FCP X editor is not that difficult. The trick is figuring out the situation on your shared volumes- of which FCP X likes HFS+. As with everything brand new, companies are coming up to speed on their support. So you may also want to check in with Edit Share in terms of their support.

Noah

Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Panasonic GH2 and GoPro HD Hero.

Return to posts index

Raimonds Spakovskis
on Jul 18, 2011 at 5:42:18 pm

It is not possible to use FCPX with Editshare because of simple reason: when you drag/drop sequence or clips from Editshare to FCP sequence, you are actualy creating xml file and xml;s are not yet supported in FCPX. Sure you can contact Edotshare and ask them, Maybe easier would be migrate to Avid, at least Avid is supported by Editshare :D

Return to posts index

Andree Franks
on Jul 18, 2011 at 6:36:04 pm

No need for AVID he has EditShare :D Stick with FCP7 or Premiere! :p

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Jul 18, 2011 at 9:56:13 pm

Alison -
the answer to your question is NO.

No Edit Share support (or any other shared storage support)
No hardware support for AJA, Blackmagic, Matrox, or MOTU
No support of Apple XSAN

Basically, your company can take FCP X and do you know what with it.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on Jul 18, 2011 at 10:40:24 pm

[Bob Zelin] "Basically, your company can take FCP X and do you know what with it. "

Presumably something very similar to what many people want Apple to do with it.

Return to posts index

Andree Franks
on Jul 19, 2011 at 6:12:31 am

[Bob Zelin] "No support of Apple XSAN"

What do you mean no Xsan support? Isn't this Apples plan... Xsan, Lion and Thunderbolt.
Are applying FCPX can't see any physical attached Xsan? Cause there is a way that is demonstrated on the keystone site.

Return to posts index

Alison Huckett
on Jul 19, 2011 at 9:07:16 am

Thanks for all your help.

I did contact EditShare and, as most of you have said, FCP X is not qualified for use with EditShare. They are still in early stages of testing it and say it seems that media sharing from the EditShare works ok, but project sharing may be an issue. They say that 'software updates to FCP X itself may add, remove, or alter how the current 1.0 version behaves'.

FCP 7 it is for now then : )

Return to posts index

jon smitherton
on Jul 19, 2011 at 9:17:51 am

[Bob Zelin] "No hardware support for AJA, Blackmagic, Matrox, or MOTU

Not true - there is a work around for AJA with extended desktop. This will come...

[Bob Zelin] No support of Apple XSAN"

Maybe you want to talk to this guy:

"I hear on the COW FCPX projects won't be read on an ethernet SAN?
Not true - it took my SAN vendor about 5 minutes and a couple of lines of code to get this working".

http://forums.creativecow.net/readpost/335/7278

or
http://www.fcp.co/final-cut-pro/news/468-two-ways-to-manage-your-fcpx-events-one-gives-access-to-xsan-volumes-too

Some people are so angry they can become blind.

Jon

Return to posts index

Andrew Richards
on Jul 19, 2011 at 11:47:41 am

[Bob Zelin] "No Edit Share support (or any other shared storage support)
No support of Apple XSAN"

Bob,

While you can't host Event or Project Libraries on shared storage (yet), there is nothing stopping you from unchecking the box for "Copy files to Final Cut Events folder" and linking to media on shared storage by importing it into an Event. This obviously means you can't ingest to shared storage with FCPX, but then again it isn't very strong in that regard anyway (no Log & Capture and no selective import a la Log & Transfer).

Yes, this means each editor has their own local Events and Projects and the metadata that goes with them, but that isn't all that different than FCP7's flat file projects that generally only one editor could work with at a time. You can easily copy and merge the Events around from bay to bay to get everyone on the same page with logged footage.

Certainly I want to see shared Events and Projects with permissions control, and there seems to be some hooks for something like that in the package. It would be a real shame if this architecture never went beyond where it is today.

Best,
Andy

Return to posts index

Thomas Frank
on Dec 18, 2012 at 8:31:43 am

Little update since NAB 2012 there is Support for Final Cut Pro X

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]