FCP X and Matrox MXO2

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ray Wang
FCP X and Matrox MXO2
on Jul 18, 2011 at 12:31:19 am

FAQ from Matrox with workarounds
http://www.matrox.com/video/en/products/mac/mxo2_family/fcpx_compressor4/

Sounds like Matrox is leaving monitoring in Apple's court.

---
Ray

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
Re: FCP X and Matrox MXO2
on Jul 18, 2011 at 1:44:06 am

[Ray Wang] "Sounds like Matrox is leaving monitoring in Apple's court."

No, it's kind of the reverse of that. According to an official from Matrox there are "no hooks" in this version of FCP X that enable I/O and "pro monitoring." So, Matrox isn't leaving anything to Apple, instead they're just waiting on Apple to give them what they need just to get started on a solution.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles
http://www.drwfilms.com

Don't miss my new tutorial: Prepare for a seamless transition to FCP X and OS X Lion
http://library.creativecow.net/weiss_roth_david/FCP-10-MAC-Lion/1

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums.

Return to posts index

Ray Wang
on Jul 18, 2011 at 2:32:02 am

What I meant by in Apple's court was that without the hooks there will be no monitoring.

i.e. Apple is the decider.

If I read the FAQ from Apple site and Matrox site, both seem to point finger at each other.
If Matrox was on the beta program, Matrox would advertise on their site to say "we are working with Apple".

FCP X FAQ
Final Cut Pro X relies on third-party devices to support external video monitoring. We’ve been working with third-party developers in our beta program to create drivers for Final Cut Pro X, and AJA has already posted beta drivers for its popular Kona card:

Matrox FAQ
FCP X does not support professional video monitoring. For full-screen, preview-quality output you can use the second DisplayPort output from your computer in Full Screen Mode. The audio outputs of the MXO2 devices can be used for audio monitoring.

---
Ray

Return to posts index

Mario Gongora
on Jul 18, 2011 at 3:14:13 am

Well, that sucks. There goes my $1000 if I ever want to use FCPX.

Return to posts index

Andy Mees
on Jul 18, 2011 at 7:18:23 am

You've right Ray, Matrox have no apparent interest in providing non-broadcast quality monitoring for FCPX with their MXO2, at least that seems to be the message, instead they are waiting for Apple to supply the hooks required for a proper broadcast monitoring solution. Apple's statement "We’ve been working with third-party developers in our beta program to create drivers for Final Cut Pro X, and AJA has already posted beta drivers for its popular Kona card" is just spin ... the supposed solution is just a preview quality scan conversion of the graphics buffer. You might get a better quality preview by using Matrox's original MXO if you have one.

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on Jul 18, 2011 at 7:56:21 am

LOL. It is PR BS. AJA's "Beta" drivers ONLY allow you to use the AJA i/o as a second computer monitor feed, not as an actual broadcast out. Gives you Preview quality only. And, they want you to install the drivers on separate boot drive because they will adversely effect anything else you use your AJA card for. Matrox's advice is, to my mind, far saner. So, don't take it out on them.

This is apparently no easy fix, and I'm guessing it will be a long time before it is taken care of. It is becoming very apparent that broadcast monitors were never supposed to be a part of FCP X.

Return to posts index

Chris Kenny
on Jul 18, 2011 at 2:26:59 pm

[Chris Harlan] "This is apparently no easy fix, and I'm guessing it will be a long time before it is taken care of. "

FCP X is based on AV Foundation. Any third-party video I/O drivers would hook into AV Foundation, not FCP X itself. AV Foundation is not a public framework in Snow Leopard, meaning that there is no public API for third-parties to hook into.

AV Foundation is a public framework in Lion. This does not necessarily mean the required hooks for broadcast video out of FCP X will be there on day one. But what it does mean is that no substantive conclusions about Apple's long-term (or even short-term) intentions with respect to broadcast video output can be drawn from the fact that the current version of FCP X doesn't support it under Snow Leopard.

[Chris Harlan] "It is becoming very apparent that broadcast monitors were never supposed to be a part of FCP X."

No, it really isn't.

--
Digital Workflow/Colorist, Nice Dissolve.

You should follow me on Twitter here. Or read our blog.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Jul 18, 2011 at 3:38:20 pm

[Chris Kenny] "AV Foundation is a public framework in Lion. This does not necessarily mean the required hooks for broadcast video out of FCP X will be there on day one. But what it does mean is that no substantive conclusions about Apple's long-term (or even short-term) intentions with respect to broadcast video output can be drawn from the fact that the current version of FCP X doesn't support it under Snow Leopard."

I think it says quite a bit about the short-term intentions: Apple clearly didn't consider video monitoring a functional requirement for the release of FCPX.

If this is or will be so much easier on Lion, why not delay FCPX a month or so and make Lion a requirement? If what you're suggesting is true, then wouldn't any future change to AV Foundation on Lion that enables real video I/O have to be back-ported to the private AV Foundation in FCPX on Snow Leopard?

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on Jul 18, 2011 at 5:49:15 pm

Chris, Lion has been available to developers for a very long time. If it were simply a matter of Lion release, announcements of pending drivers would have been made weeks ago.

Return to posts index

Greg Andonian
on Jul 18, 2011 at 6:16:39 am

WOW, this whole thing just gets more unbelievable as time goes by...

Return to posts index

Jason Brown
on Jul 18, 2011 at 10:56:54 am

Greg- thanks for saying exactly what was coming out of my mouth! Haha...

Return to posts index

olof ekbergh
on Jul 18, 2011 at 12:02:10 pm

I had a conversation with a Matrox tech a few weeks ago and he gave no time table but he assured me that Matrox would have a "pro" monitoring solution for FCPX in the future.

For him or me to say X # months would just start rumors so he just said they are working with Apple on a solution.

Matrox has a Thunderbolt interface for the MX02 coming out in the next month or so. I don't know if this will effect how FCPX will work with the MX02, but it is interesting.

I think patience is a virtue with new products. Why live on the bleeding edge when your old system still works.

If in a year FCPX does not have NTSC/PAL monitoring or some type of XML/EDL support then one can think of going somewhere else. In the mean time I am just learning as much as I can about the new FCP. FCP never was my main editor, but FCPX has me very intrigued.

Olof Ekbergh

Return to posts index

David Cherniack
on Jul 18, 2011 at 3:35:07 pm

Hey Olof, uless it was someone high up in the company, the "tech" was just expressing his personal opinion. In their official statement there are no conditionals, ifs or buts in the sentence "FCP X does not support professional video monitoring"...a statement they haven't seen reason to change on their site, on the off-hand chance that it was said in aerror.

It's hard to believe they hadn't seen the API or at least talked to Apple before making that statement. To me, and I could be wrong, that means that the API for FCP does not yet support 3rd party external monitoring. And that means it could be a longer wait than some here anticipate.

David
AllinOneFilms.com

Return to posts index

Ray Wang
on Jul 18, 2011 at 3:58:32 pm

I think Olof's comments made sense in that Matrox is ready to rock and roll whenever Apple is ready. That timeline may depend on Lion, Apple's roadmap for FCP X.

I am not in the Post industry, FCP X is what I wanted to Christmas but at the same time, I have picked up enough on FCP7 and through reading to appreciate both sides of the same coin :-)

Incidentally I just received a Matrox customer service announcement email regarding support for Lion (good news I may add).

The next software release for the Matrox MXO2 products and Compress HD for Mac will be available shortly after the release of Mac OS 10.7 (Lion). It will provide full support under Mac OS 10.7 (Lion) for all applications that are currently supported. Support for Telestream Episode and Avid Media Composer will require new releases from those companies in addition to our new driver.

---
Ray

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Jul 18, 2011 at 4:08:27 pm

Kind of par for the course with Matrox. Their FCP Legacy drivers were always later than AJA or Blackmagic with updates. Not too surprised they are slow in X as well.

Noah

Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Panasonic GH2 and GoPro HD Hero.

Return to posts index

Andy Mees
on Jul 18, 2011 at 4:58:51 pm

What does pre-announcing support for OS X Lion have to do with being "slow" with FCP X?

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Jul 18, 2011 at 5:09:56 pm

[Noah Kadner] "Kind of par for the course with Matrox. Their FCP Legacy drivers were always later than AJA or Blackmagic with updates. Not too surprised they are slow in X as well."

I don't think your statement above is accurate or fair in the present context.

None of the I/O manufacturers are able to produce "pro I/O or monitoring" solutions at this moment, because Apple has not supplied the "hooks." That's not the fault of Matrox.

Furthermore, the fact that AJA came out first with a solution for FCP X that turns their $3000 Kona 3 and a $5000 broadcast monitor into what is essentially just another computer monitor, is also no good reason to trash Matrox.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles
http://www.drwfilms.com

Don't miss my new tutorial: Prepare for a seamless transition to FCP X and OS X Lion
http://library.creativecow.net/weiss_roth_david/FCP-10-MAC-Lion/1

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Jul 18, 2011 at 5:27:56 pm

Yeah I wasn't really characterizing what's available to developers or not in X right now as the issue. More that I personally haven't been impressed by Matrox's support for FCP historically, especially compared to AJA and Blackmagic. Whether that changes or not in X remains to be seen.

Noah

Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Panasonic GH2 and GoPro HD Hero.

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on Jul 18, 2011 at 7:45:54 pm

I use devices from all three companies and I see no reason to be dissing Matrox. Their mini has worked great on my laptop for over a year now, and the fact that it gave me Avid i/o long before anyone else was a very welcome extra bonus.

Return to posts index

marcus lyall
on Jul 22, 2011 at 5:58:38 pm

Didn't read this thread until now.
My similar thoughts below relating to decklink..

http://forums.creativecow.net/readpost/335/12151

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]