FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP X importing 5.1 audio as 2-channel stereo

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rob Rees
FCP X importing 5.1 audio as 2-channel stereo
on Jul 17, 2011 at 7:27:04 pm

I've had FCP X for a few days and been playing around with a recently purchased Panasonic TM900 camcorder to get a reasonable workflow for the (hobbyist) footage I shoot. The TM900 is on Apple's approved list of camcorders for use with FCP X.

When I import the AVCHD files using the "Import from Camera" function everything seems to work OK, but if I look at the clips in the Inspector the audio stream is reported as being 2-channel stereo rather than the 5.1 audio that the camcorder records in. If I rewrap the files using ClipWrap (v2.4.2) prior to importing them to FCP X using the "Import Files" function the Inspector reports the clips as having 5.1 surround audio, but then when I play the clips the audio meters only report that 2 channels are active, with the other channels not having any sound content.

Am I doing something wrong? Is there an Import setting that I am using incorrectly? Or does FCP X have problems importing 5.1 audio from the Panasonic TM900?

Is anyone else experiencing this?

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: FCP X importing 5.1 audio as 2-channel stereo
on Jul 18, 2011 at 4:10:01 pm

Are you positive you recorded in a 5.1 audio stream from the camera? Also with all respect you don't want 5.1 in your camera originals. Good luck getting that audio to match from shot to shot.

Noah

Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Panasonic GH2 and GoPro HD Hero.

Return to posts index

Rob Rees
on Jul 18, 2011 at 8:43:57 pm

Noah, I'm reasonably sure that the camera recorded 5.1 channels (although wouldn't bet my life on it). As far as I can tell the camera records all AVCHD clips with 5.1 audio, and when I look at the clips using VLC it says the audio stream is AC3 (which I think is 5.1 surround?).

Why wouldn't I want to record 5.1 with the camera?

Return to posts index

Matt Gal
on Jul 18, 2011 at 10:08:52 pm

Hi Rob,

AC3 just means Audio Codec 3 (Dolby Digital)

It could just as equally be formatted as 2.0, 3.1, 2.1. etc

So it could be stereo

Return to posts index

Matt Gal
on Jul 18, 2011 at 11:11:55 pm

Rob,

Further to my post stating that the AC3 stream could just as easily b stereo...

I see this camera can record both 5.1 and stereo from he built in mics. As you probably know your camera setup more than I could possibly do I will assume you have it set for 5.1 recording.

I would be interested in obtaining a short sample clip from this camera if you are able / willing to share.

Regards

Return to posts index

Rob Rees
on Jul 19, 2011 at 2:40:28 pm

Matt, my understanding is that the camera records the AVCHD and 1080p50 formats with 5.1 audio, and the iFrame format with 2-channel audio. The clips I've imported have either been AVCHD or 1080p50, which is why I was expecting to see 5.1 audio.

Very happy to let you have a sample clip. What format would you like, and what's the best way to get it too you?

Return to posts index

Paul Dickin
on Jul 19, 2011 at 3:06:06 pm

Hi
On page 72 of the pdf manual it describes the Menu Setting for audio recording:
[Record Setup]>[Mic Setup]>SURROUND or ZOOM or FOCUS or STEREO.

So there is the option of 5.1 or 2.0 AC3 recording in 1080 mode.
As you say only 2.0 is available in iFrame mode.

Return to posts index

Matt Gal
on Jul 19, 2011 at 9:14:29 pm

Hi Rob

Could you please contact me at aucksyd@gmail.com to discuss transfer of file.

Many thanks

Return to posts index

Rob Rees
on Jul 25, 2011 at 1:38:52 pm

Still failing to get 5.1 audio from my Panasonic TM900 in to FCP X. No matter what I try only two audio channels are active when the video is imported in to FCP X. Is anyone else with this camcorder getting 5.1 audio when they import the files?

Return to posts index

Timothy Golds
on Aug 5, 2011 at 8:24:47 pm

I also have a similar issue, I tried to import from Panasonic SD900 into Final Cut Pro X, the files are 5.1 but they only show up as 2 channel stereo. I presume its a bug, which I hope will be fixed in a new update.

Anyone have suggestions how to solve??

Tim Golds

Return to posts index

Rob Rees
on Aug 8, 2011 at 9:58:01 am

Yes, I think I have now resolved my problem. I have been testing ClipWrap and when my AVCHD files are rewrapped FCPX reports that my clips are 5.1 audio channels, but only two channels (FL and FR) are active. So I emailed support @ the ClipWrap developers and they sent my a little utility which forces ClipWrap to rewrap using multichannel audio. This seems to work a treat. I can now see that all 5.1 channels recorded by my TM900 camcorder are active. It adds a step in to my workflow, but at least I can use the audio as recorded by the camera. Hopefully Apple will address this in a future revision of FCPX so files imported directly from the TM900 will include full multichannel audio.

Return to posts index

Shirley Royal
on Sep 2, 2011 at 11:33:13 am

would you mind sharing the link they sent you - I'm having the same problem with my Panasonic Camera.

Thanks so much in advance

Return to posts index

Rob Rees
on Sep 3, 2011 at 8:29:06 am

The latest version of ClipWrap (v2.3 I think) which was released yesterday has the multi-channel audio fix built in to the application.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]