FORUMS: list search recent posts

is there a single person on this forum making a living with FCP X ?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bob Zelin
is there a single person on this forum making a living with FCP X ?
on Jul 17, 2011 at 6:37:01 pm

Because if the answer is YES, then I guess that says it all.

(Teaching FCP X does not count as a yes).

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: is there a single person on this forum making a living with FCP X ?
on Jul 17, 2011 at 6:48:54 pm

I'm biding on a job that may be well suited for FCPX.
The potential client has a history of doing things in iMovie so I'd be able to import their work if needed. The project is file based. There will be no need to send things to outside apps. They'd be very happy with Motion style FX. The delivery will be entirely file based likely to include Apple devices in addition to the web. I am not sure yet because they are still some variables but FCPX is certainly a strong consideration for this job. I've seen no "deal breaker" for this job and FCPX and see potential advantages.

Return to posts index

John Pale
on Jul 17, 2011 at 7:24:57 pm

I'm doing a very basic video for a client with it right now. I thought it would be a good test...as its all file based, not very heavy on FX, and does not require output to tape. No burning deadline. No client in the room. So far its been pretty rocky, partly due to my own inexperience with the software, and partly due to some surprising missing functionality in FCPX (lots of little things relating to editorial problem solving and not the well publicized shortcomings everyone knows about). Its not all negative though. There are quite a few innovative ideas that work well in the software, too.

Most of my work is broadcast. I could not imagine even trying to do anything for broadcast with it yet or anything with a client in the room.

Return to posts index

Jerry Hofmann
on Jul 17, 2011 at 7:16:48 pm

FCP X is still full of holes, but my next project will be shot file based, and delivery is a set of web streams. I'll use X for it... it's customer service online videos... perfect for this software.

Gotta say, as I use it, I'm finding it extremely fast software.

Jerry

Apple Certified Trainer, Producer, Writer, Director Editor, Gun for Hire and other things. I ski. My Blog: http://blogs.creativecow.net/Jerry-Hofmann

Current DVD:
http://store.creativecow.net/p/81/jerry_hofmanns_final_cut_system_setup

8-Core 3.0 Intel Mac Pro, Dual 2 gig G5, AJA Kona SD, AJA Kona 2, Huge Systems Array UL3D, AJA Io HD, 17" MBP, Matrox MXO2 with MAX - Cinema Displays I have a 22" that I paid 4k for still working. G4 with Kona SD card, and SCSI card.

Return to posts index

olof ekbergh
on Jul 17, 2011 at 7:53:39 pm

I am just starting a project for a kiosk at a visitors center. It will use HD and SD footage from many different sources EXcams, AF100, 5dmkII, 7D HDV and some DVcam and DV footage as well as a lot of stills.

I have already been prepping the project. The favorite and keyword functions are great. I plan to use Motion a lot in this project as well.

I am doing this as a test. Normally I would have done this in M100 and AE, possible some work in FCP7 on the XDcam footage.

This is the first version of FCP that really has me interested. I never liked FCP, always preferred M100 and AE.

The finished video will be looping on a 70" screen using a BM SSD player. The cool thing is I can use the HDMI output to the 70" screen as my second monitor from my MiniDisplayPort, so I get a pretty good idea of what it will look like when done.

I normally use a Kona or an MX02 for this, and they will work soon as well I hope. I will post if I run into trouble. This project will take about 60 days or so to finish.

Olof Ekbergh

Return to posts index

Sean Thomas
on Jul 17, 2011 at 8:07:53 pm

Sounds like a great project to jump in with X. Good luck and keep us informed.

I'm with you, 7 is so old feelling and looking. I'm tired of it and look forward to moving on with X.

BTW - Still got (2) M100 system siting in the closet!

FCP X: Type A
[spell check OFF]

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on Jul 17, 2011 at 8:15:13 pm

[Sean Thomas] "BTW - Still got (2) M100 system siting in the closet!"

Sean, if you haven't, you really owe it to yourself to check out the software-only version of Media 100. Not only will it open your old Media 100 projects (woo-hoo!), it will open your old FCP projects (WOO-HOO!!). It supports FCP and Avid media, including ProRes and DNxHD, 3rd-party hardware, and lots of other cool stuff.

If you haven't used it for a while, you're going to be very, very pleasantly surprised. Anybody who came to FCP from Media 100 should most definitely add this to the list of software to evaluate.

Disclosure: I spent $30,000 on the Media 100 system I built my business around, and another $15,000 for the TWENTY SEVEN GIGS of storage that went with it. Loooooved it.

Return to posts index

Brian Langeman
on Jul 17, 2011 at 8:51:44 pm

[Sean Thomas] "I'm with you, 7 is so old feelling and looking."

I sure am glad that I can still buy an "old looking" guitar. Thank goodness microphone manufacturers don't think the same way as apple.

Gee, old stuff really sucks... Why can't they discontinue any instruments that were created more than 10 years ago? Oh wait, it's because the way people did it 50 years ago is still the best way to do it. The technology behind recording music has drastically changed, but the principles (mic placement, mixing) have not.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jul 17, 2011 at 9:29:57 pm

[Brian Langeman] "I sure am glad that I can still buy an "old looking" guitar."

You might want to look at the Chapman Stick. OK not in wide use . . . but you might consider how many musicians are using Keyboard synths instead of Pianos. Some new technology fills a niche and sometimes it can overtake older technology even though it doesn't really replace it.

[Brian Langeman] "Why can't they discontinue any instruments that were created more than 10 years ago?"

Have you tried buying a harpsichord lately?

Return to posts index

Brian Langeman
on Jul 17, 2011 at 10:33:52 pm

[Craig Seeman] " but you might consider how many musicians are using Keyboard synths instead of Pianos. Some new technology fills a niche and sometimes it can overtake older technology even though it doesn't really replace it."

I know. I'm using a keyboard synth instead of a piano right now actually. But all of the DAWs that I can think of still allow me to record the "good ol fashioned" real thing. Logic or Pro Tools doesn't force me to think certain way. Why does Apple?

I would say the best possible way to capture a piano performance would be to record the real thing as opposed to recording and editing MIDI data. In this example, the old way is better than the new way.

The point I'm making is that old does not always equal bad or worse. Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't. Many times the old way is the best way to do it. Forcing users to abandon the old way is not the way to go.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jul 17, 2011 at 11:57:20 pm

[Brian Langeman] "I know. I'm using a keyboard synth instead of a piano right now actually. But all of the DAWs that I can think of still allow me to record the "good ol fashioned" real thing. Logic or Pro Tools doesn't force me to think certain way. Why does Apple?"

Maybe Apple is the Buchla or Serge synths of the NLEs or the Chapman Stick of guitar like instruments.
Actually all instruments cause you to think a certain way . . . it's just that one doesn't realize that until one is confronted with thinking different. I happen to like Stockhausen for example. I also liked Philip Glass when he was still a cab driver playing in "the Village" while certain "professionals" thought he was the lowest of the low.

Apple is pushing the envelope. I don't know if they'll succeed but I do like they way their programmers (Ubilos et al) are thinking. We'll see if it matures.

Return to posts index

Brian Langeman
on Jul 18, 2011 at 12:49:49 am

[Craig Seeman] "Apple is pushing the envelope. I don't know if they'll succeed but I do like they way their programmers (Ubilos et al) are thinking. We'll see if it matures."

I see what they did with FCP as the equivalent of "upgrading" to Logic Pro X and taking away audio tracks and the ability to record instruments. They would say MIDI is the way of the future. If you need to record an instrument, just wait for a third party to develop that feature. Oh and by the way, you can't buy a previous version of Logic either.

[Craig Seeman] "Actually all instruments cause you to think a certain way . . . it's just that one doesn't realize that until one is confronted with thinking different."

The instrument analogy is more to show that old is not bad. The NLE DAW comparison is much more apt to companies forcing us to work a certain way.

Return to posts index

Nelson Torres
on Jul 18, 2011 at 2:20:13 am

I happen to like Stockhausen for example

Ok, that explains everything...

Return to posts index

Sean Thomas
on Jul 18, 2011 at 12:28:44 am

That's all a bit of a stretch.

Using your analogy, why don't you edit the way you did 15, 20, 25 years ago? This is technology which has seen MAJOR advancements in the past 20 years.

Guitars.......not really that many advancements.

Which has changed more:

1. 2" A/B roll system, cuts only -VS- Your favorite, loaded NLE

or

2. An original 1959 Les Paul -VS- a 1959 Les Paul Reissue

[spell check OFF]

Return to posts index

Sean Thomas
on Jul 17, 2011 at 7:59:40 pm

[Bob Zelin]"is there a single person on this forum making a living with FCP X ? Because if the answer is YES, then I guess that says it all. "

This is obviously a rhetorical question. I wold not assume that anyone has thrown out ALL other software that they've ever used and now ONLY use FCP X to make their living. The software has only been out for a bout 2 weeks.

You are hearing more and more that people are starting to phase it in as a part of their workflow when the project fits what X has to offer.

BTW - What would "YES" say?

[spell check OFF]

Return to posts index

Jerry Hofmann
on Jul 17, 2011 at 10:18:53 pm

Yes would indicate there are users of X in the pro arena I'd presume. Less vocal than the non users LOL...

Jerry

Apple Certified Trainer, Producer, Writer, Director Editor, Gun for Hire and other things. I ski. My Blog: http://blogs.creativecow.net/Jerry-Hofmann

Current DVD:
http://store.creativecow.net/p/81/jerry_hofmanns_final_cut_system_setup

8-Core 3.0 Intel Mac Pro, Dual 2 gig G5, AJA Kona SD, AJA Kona 2, Huge Systems Array UL3D, AJA Io HD, 17" MBP, Matrox MXO2 with MAX - Cinema Displays I have a 22" that I paid 4k for still working. G4 with Kona SD card, and SCSI card.

Return to posts index

Mark Dobson
on Jul 17, 2011 at 8:31:39 pm

Depends on what you mean by making a living. I make a living making programmes which I edit myself.

But I'm not sure how ironic your question is?

I've just finished my first fee paying job cut on FCP X. It was a painful experience because of the number
of operator errors and also crashes. Luckily one never loses anything with a crash because of the constant
save function built into the software.

It was a 3 fairly straightforward interview pieces with cutaways, whoops sorry , connected clips to the primary storyline, lower third titling and an opening and closing title sequence.

Due to my ineptitude it probably took twice as long as it would have done in FCP7 but I learnt a lot.

I'm now considering editing a 12 minute fairly complex documentary with FCP X. I find the front end of the job vastly superior to FCP7. Sorting clips with keywords into smart collections is a joy editing onto the primary timeline and connecting clips is getting easy and glueing things together with compound clips enables a really flexible way of working.

Sorting out interview material means experimenting with different methods of keywords, favorites and markers. Not on top of this side of things at all.

The only way I will ever learn this programme is working on fee paying jobs where there is both a deadline and financial ramifications if I don't get it right.

What I have found is that working in FCP7 after all of this feels very pedantic and backwards and possibly a bit boring.

Return to posts index

Forrest Burger
on Jul 17, 2011 at 10:59:19 pm

I'm just starting on a promotional video that will be shot entirely on a GH2 so the file based ingest suits FCPX well. I have several other projects coming down the pipe that I'm considering it for as well.

These are strictly non-broadcast videos that will be shown at live fundraising and corporate events and/or go straight to the web. Rarely do I produce things for broadcast or DVD any more. My Primera duplicator has been very lonely as of late.

The bugs are there, and the lack of "real" video monitoring is a bother, but I'm hoping that changes soon. For the kinds of videos I do, (documentary style, more emphasis on storytelling than on graphics) the combination of a more mature FCPX and Motion could well suit my company fine. I pretty much do everything from concept to completion.

But, that doesn't mean that I haven't been trying out the free trials of MC and PPro to keep myself in the loop for those times that I do need to collaborate!

Forrest

Return to posts index

Tony Silanskas
on Jul 18, 2011 at 1:30:00 am

I've been working on a few small non-broadcast projects as a way of learning the program but couldn't see myself using it for a broadcast project until there is a bug-fix update. Too many crashes especially with larger projects so far. And mostly having (surprisingly) less control on color correction than FCP 7 isn't helping either.

Has anyone done a broadcast edit (that aired) in FCP X yet?

tony

http://www.HungryCliff.com

Return to posts index

H. Spencer Young
on Jul 18, 2011 at 2:58:43 am

Yep.

Return to posts index

Geoff Dills
on Jul 18, 2011 at 10:55:49 am

I'm married, sorry. :)

Best,
Geoff

Return to posts index

Chris Conlee
on Jul 18, 2011 at 3:31:26 am

Given that it's only been out for a couple weeks, I think it's bit premature to make judgments based on it's ability to generate income. You'll either have to make the decision that it CAN make you money or it CAN'T make you money based on your application and go for it.

Chris

Return to posts index

Ethan Young
on Jul 18, 2011 at 4:50:40 am

FCPX just appears amateur and barren on the surface. The fact is the underlying platform upon which it is designed is what will make it the future of editing. Apple seems to realize that some incredible bells and whistles will be coming out in the form of plugins and third party hardware (which is already happening). FCPX and Motion 5 are very easy to design for.

Within 1 year it will eclipse Avid and Adobe. The only ones to suffer in the interim are the very high end post houses, they'll come around.

Return to posts index

Chris Jacek
on Jul 18, 2011 at 6:27:06 am

[Ethan Young] "Within 1 year it will eclipse Avid and Adobe. The only ones to suffer in the interim are the very high end post houses, they'll come around."

That sounds like a bit of hyperbole. I see zero chance of this happening, especially the high end post houses "coming around." That won't happen in 5 years, much less one.

Professor, Producer, Editor
and former Apple Employee

Return to posts index

Chris Kenny
on Jul 18, 2011 at 2:46:50 pm

[Ethan Young] "Within 1 year it will eclipse Avid and Adobe. The only ones to suffer in the interim are the very high end post houses, they'll come around."

I'm going to tell you the same thing I keep telling the "Apple has no time to fix anything because everyone will be on Avid by October" crowd: nothing moves that fast, least of all large facilities.

I believe there is a distinct possibility FCP X could dominate the industry in the long run, but if it does it will be because it builds bottom-up momentum that eventually overwhelms other options even at the high end. That sort of thing takes years.

--
Digital Workflow/Colorist, Nice Dissolve.

You should follow me on Twitter here. Or read our blog.

Return to posts index

David Battistella
on Jul 18, 2011 at 8:27:57 am

Yep.

Paid gigs with the new software. Gotta recover that 299$ investment, you know. :)

Return to posts index

shawn Bockoven
on Jul 18, 2011 at 3:37:18 pm

Yes, we have moved 75% of our work to X.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Jul 18, 2011 at 4:05:25 pm

I edited this training video with X and I have to say it's paid pretty well so far :)

http://www.callboxlive.com/products/panasonic-gh2-guidebook

Noah

Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Panasonic GH2 and GoPro HD Hero.

Return to posts index

Mario Gongora
on Jul 19, 2011 at 2:20:11 am

We're editing a spanish-language weekly "behind the scenes of blockbuster movies" package that airs nationally on U.S. cable and has an average of a million viewers (at least that's what they've told us). It's 4 minutes long and it runs on a show called "En Pantalla". We also Post-produce the entire show, but we still do THAT on FCP7 because of deadline issues (FCPX hangs a lot with large projects), we also edit the weekly promos in FCPX with no problem whatsoever. All this is definitely paid, so the answer would be "yes, partly".

Return to posts index

alban egger
on Jul 19, 2011 at 10:53:48 am

Check our blog about a rather big project here:
http://fcpxmegatest.blogspot.com/

we won´t be able to do it all in FCPX, because we miss audio-outputs etc, but until the last finishing touches we try to stay in the new tool.

we are now at 5400+ clips and it runs relatively smooth after a few hickups early especially with more than one machine used and we needed to work out a new workflow. by relatively smooth I mean it works....and FCP7 would not be smooth anymore with this project either. In fact I doubt I would be so far in FCP7 yet.

check it out

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]