FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP X Working Perfectly - Love It!

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sean Thomas
FCP X Working Perfectly - Love It!
on Jul 16, 2011 at 4:23:51 am

Last night I was about to download FCP X but before I did I thought I would visit the Cow to see what people think about it.

After reading the FCP X forum I was amazed to see that nearly everyone hated the program, had absolutely nothing good to say about it, hated Apple, and most were heading to Adobe Premier. WOW! - not what I expected.

I made a simple little post (must have been the most sinister thing ever writen on the Cow) about how surprised I was about all the DRAMA. That quickly turned into insults and other nasties.......Apple sucks, Steve Jobs sucks, I suck (I'm also an amature), FCP X is a joke/iMoviePro, and on and on.

So tonight I download the program and jumped in - no tutorials or manual....yet.

My first impression that it's like going from a bicycle to a Ferari. The SPEED alone is worth changing to X.

I have never used iMovie so I have no idea how much they are alike and don't really care. I guess the reality was that while FCP7 sit there for years they were making major advancements in their editing technologies - just happened to be iMovie. Now those advancements are in a new program that will probably change everything.

I know, it's too different for most people, but honestly take a look at FCP 7. It looks like it did in V1. The same old stuff that's been around for nearly 15 years in NLE's.

Thank you Apple for changing everything! Out with the old and in with something new. I am actually going to have FUN learning a COOL new program and not sitting down at the old FCP like I have for the last 8 years.

Return to posts index

Tangier Clarke
Re: FCP X Working Perfectly - Love It!
on Jul 16, 2011 at 5:09:02 am

I am really liking the application too. I've now cut three projects with it (even with the bumps involved) and finding that FCP 7 feels old already. Though it is still my goto app for bigger projects due to my BlackMagic Multibridge Pro 2 and just it's general features right now.

FCP X hasn't crashed on me any more than other apps I use for post. There are some features I miss of course, but amidst all of the various opinions about this app, I don't look at it as an island. I've been very keen to Apple the past few years as they redo GUIs, streamline/cleanup code, prepare for streaming media in a big way, and merging the best of their desktop and mobile platforms. I see a very bright future.

In several forums it's been suggested that Apple has left the pro space; the assumption being that this rewrite of Final Cut Pro and it's missing features is concrete evidence of Apple's future plans. I think this type of thinking is premature and irresponsible, but I understand where these feelings come from. Looking at how Apple has been operating the past few years and seeing how things are being unified between their efforts and third party efforts, a rewrite of an application (granted missing features from older coded versions and missing those for whatever timing/shareholder/ technology advance-roadmap issues) is no indication of Apple leaving the pro space (as if we all agreed what "pro means"). They just really bungled this release (in our eyes).

MC6 looks really great. Though I am not counting Apple out on this one. I'm not saying they'll win this race and be the preferred app in relatively short time, but I also don't expect any company to do things right all of the time and boy did they mess this launch up.

Apple has an entire ecosystem of products from hardware to software that few companies can touch when it comes to harnessing technology, human interface, quality, and lest we not forget - leading many industries to follow them even if they didn't do "it" first.

I have now cut three projects with FCPX/Motion 5 and am absolutely loving this application and really look forward to it's potential.

Perhaps AVID is significantly smarter in the way MC has evolved as of late, but I think we'll see the fruits of AV Foundation, OpenCL, FCP X (and it's liking by developers), media creation and distribution in general, Thunderbolt, and DAMS. There's a lot of things that it seems Apple has been refining and working on over the past few years we have yet to see the full benefit of, but from what I can tell, the future looks bright. Really bright.

In the meantime, I'd be more than willing to take a look at MC6 and even Premier, but my FCS3 still works great (even though I'd already rather work in FCP X with my AF100 content).

Happy cutting.

Tangier

Return to posts index

Tomislav Rupic
on Jul 16, 2011 at 7:21:35 am

after they add XML I am totally switching to X, since I started color grading in Resolve I cant
live without it. :)

Return to posts index

kim krause
on Jul 16, 2011 at 7:38:33 am

same here.....i'm actually hoping that with xml reintroduced i might even be able to still use color...export xml from fcpx ...import into color? who knows its all rather exciting i think.....but davinci is my back up plan if i have to!

Return to posts index

kim krause
on Jul 16, 2011 at 7:32:56 am

so nice to hear someone with a fresh and open take on the whole thing....as you say you are not a "pro" and you've probably noticed that most of the negative stuff comes form the old timers, but i love your open and honest feelings on the subject. i've been getting crapped on by everyone everytime i tell people to adapt or die. you comments sum up the experience beautifully and if anyone doesnt agree with you then just forge ahead...steal their clients and make your own way into this crazy world of post production. maybe then they will open their eyes and shut their mouths! best of luck to you...

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on Jul 16, 2011 at 10:10:02 am

No, Kim. Most of the "negative stuff" comes from people who cannot use X because it will not function in a useful way for them. People aren't going to use X to "steal my clients" because my job can't be done with X. MAYBE, it will be useful in a couple of years. But, there's nothing magic about the program. It ain't a super weapon. You keep talking about it as if it popped out of Harry Potter's backside, but really--in its current state--it is mostly a dumbed down program for people who find editing intimidating.

You know the reason you keep getting--as you say--crapped on is not because you are the bringer of hard truth, but because you are so dismissive of other people. Most of the editors I work with are highly technical people, whose challenges at work change constantly. Four months ago, I was wondering if the new FCP would let me edit stereoscopic material by itself or with 3rd party plugins. I was hoping I would use it to edit Red, natively. I was hoping to have Motion improved and integrated into FCP itself, making it a competitor for Smoke. I was really expecting a better, stronger tool. I WANTED change. And every editor here who is complaining or upset wanted change too. They wanted more not less.

You should take your own advice re: eyes and mouths.

Return to posts index

Marcus Samuel-Gaskin
on Jul 16, 2011 at 1:11:55 pm

[Chris Harlan] "You should take your own advice re: eyes and mouths."

Wow. Grumpy and personal much? It just seems that as soon as anyone posts positive experiences , somebody in the this 'forum' (really, a forum for griping about an app, is allowed to continue?) makes it their personal duty to sh*t on someone's parade. You're like positivity seeking missile. You really didn't have to open this thread you know..

Return to posts index

Jamie Franklin
on Jul 16, 2011 at 2:23:51 pm

[Marcus Samuel-Gaskin] " Wow. Grumpy and personal much? It just seems that as soon as anyone posts positive experiences , somebody in the this 'forum' (really, a forum for griping about an app, is allowed to continue?) makes it their personal duty to sh*t on someone's parade. You're like positivity seeking missile. You really didn't have to open this thread you know.."

Please. Sean and Kim have been posting the nastiest stuff ever written on the Cow. Take your self righteous bs to their threads

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on Jul 16, 2011 at 5:39:04 pm

Don't take this personally--and I swear I'm not being grumpy--I think if you re-read my post in combination with the post I was responding to, you might feel differently about it.

Return to posts index

Chris Kenny
on Jul 16, 2011 at 7:27:49 pm

[Chris Harlan] "MAYBE, it will be useful in a couple of years."

I keep seeing comments like this. I don't get it. For high-end workflows, it's missing all of about four critical features:

- Some way of exporting sequence data.
- Some way of mapping audio clips to tracks on export.
- Support for 'real' video output third-party I/O hardware.
- Multicam.

Sequence data exporting was promised in a few weeks (and that was over two weeks ago now). Audio track mapping has been promised for "this summer" (probably September, based on how software companies usually use the word "summer"). Support for 'real' video output is coming "soon", according to reports from the London briefing. With these three features (and some third party support that will probably show up pretty quickly, once they're available)... it might be possible to cut a feature in FCP X by October or November.

Multicam (necessary in some 'pro' workflows, but entirely irrelevant to others) has been promised for the next major release, which I would guess will happen closer to 12 months from now than 24.

What takes "a couple of years" here?

--
Digital Workflow/Colorist, Nice Dissolve.

You should follow me on Twitter here. Or read our blog.

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on Jul 16, 2011 at 9:15:32 pm

Chris, if you are right, that's great. I guess my question would be, if this stuff is all so doable in such a short period of time, why wasn't in done in the years before this current release? Also, I think you greatly underestimate the number of items needed for it to be a comparable high-end tool set. Undoubtedly, someone will cut a feature on it in next six months, and that would have been astounding a decade ago. Now, not so much.

I do appreciate your evangelism, and certainly, I can see how FCPX might even fit into my own future. If EDL/XML support gets enabled, and the rumored iPad pro comes about, I can certainly see incorporating that into my work flow. What I don't see though, is using it as my main editorial device. I don't see its paradigm developing in a direction that makes advantageous for High-end Industrial use. (By Industrial, I mean large-scale, factory-like; not video work for a particular industry) I'd love to be wrong. I've been an FCP booster for many years.

Return to posts index

Chris Kenny
on Jul 18, 2011 at 1:39:44 pm

[Chris Harlan] "Chris, if you are right, that's great. I guess my question would be, if this stuff is all so doable in such a short period of time, why wasn't in done in the years before this current release?"

Because as hard as it is for people in this forum to understand, these features have always only been relevant to a small fraction of the FCP user base.

[Chris Harlan] "Also, I think you greatly underestimate the number of items needed for it to be a comparable high-end tool set."

I'm curious what else you see missing. Most other "I can't use FCP X because it's missing Z" criticism that I've seen revolves around subjective user interface issue. While some people will probably stick to their guns and continue to claim the new UI is unusable for serious editing, others already believe differently.

--
Digital Workflow/Colorist, Nice Dissolve.

You should follow me on Twitter here. Or read our blog.

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on Jul 18, 2011 at 7:38:22 pm

[Chris Kenny] "Because as hard as it is for people in this forum to understand, these features have always only been relevant to a small fraction of the FCP user base."

Which is why I doubt the issues will be addressed as quickly as you think they will. Even though--as I said above--they could be.

Return to posts index

Julian Bowman
on Jul 16, 2011 at 1:17:35 pm

"I made a simple little post (must have been the most sinister thing ever writen on the Cow) about how surprised I was about all the DRAMA. That quickly turned into insults and other nasties.......Apple sucks, Steve Jobs sucks, I suck (I'm also an amature), FCP X is a joke/iMoviePro, and on and on."

The problem with revisionism on a forum, is your original 'simple little post' is only about 10 threads down, and still contains all the insults you levelled at people that can't use the current 'upgrade' because it won't do what is needed, and your flip flopping on your argument just to try and beat a post that that retorted to your original.

original simple little post

I'm now guessing, given the spelling too, you're a recent NotW journo with a bit of time on your hands at present.

Still, really glad you like X... it still doesn't work for all those who are complaining (myself included) and nope, the fact FCP7 is still installed isn't compensation for waiting 3 years for a 64 bit upgrade and getting given a turbo charged toy.

Everyone who is moving to Premier is doing so because we've already waited years only to discover we have to wait years more on the off chance Apple will make X an app that can be used by all people who make a living from it, rather than a minority who make a self-contained living from it and hobbyists.

Do you think I wanted to waste precious time learning a new system? Nope, I wanted FCP8 which would have been 64 bit and made the use of my £2500 block of hardware. And given I am going to have to learn a new bit of software, do you think it will be X which can't do what I need it to do to keep earning a living? Nope again. And am I going to run a 32 bit software and lose hours and hours of time sitting on my thumbs on the off chance X evolves satisfactorily when Apple wouldn't give you the time of day unless Jobs said they could so we actually have no idea whatsoever what will happen with it? Nope.

Love X mate, just don't hold yourself up as some sort of whinger-focussed piñata when you basically insulted people about something you have admitted you know nothing about because you are an 'amature' [sic].

Return to posts index

Julian Bowman
on Jul 16, 2011 at 1:19:24 pm

[double posted]

Return to posts index

eric pautsch
on Jul 16, 2011 at 2:17:18 pm

Once X includes the features most of us need, it could be become a useful tool.

But I think you missed the point of what Apple is doing. They've decided to change FCP's paradigm while discontinuing support, of any kind, to their old system. All this in the middle of deadlines, pre-production meetings, ect. Make sense?

This will and should be taught in business schools for years to come.

I will never buy another Apple product as long as I live!! I even starting to hate the stupid on screen keyboard of my iPhone

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jul 16, 2011 at 3:47:38 pm

This is an out of character marketing mismanagement for Apple. I wouldn't condemn FCPX or the company as a whole for it.

Other companies have made seriously damaging business decisions as well including Avid and Adobe and Autodesk just to name a few.

I have a hunch the FCPX will eventually be a killer NLE. The question is whether people can wait and why Apple's marketing was so uncharacteristically poor and poorly managed.

Return to posts index

David A Fenton
on Jul 16, 2011 at 3:59:48 pm

I agree that Apple's management of the product transition gets an "F". The product direction though I believe gets an 'A'. But it is a new product, though a new name may have faced insurmountable branding challenges.

The folks who are vehemently deriding the professional potential of the product I believe are temporarily blinded to the history of software.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jul 16, 2011 at 4:27:45 pm

[David A Fenton] "The folks who are vehemently deriding the professional potential of the product I believe are temporarily blinded to the history of software."

They're completely blind if they think they can trust Avid or Adobe. Not that either of them are "evil" it just that as businesses they've also have done things that have damaged the business of post houses.

It's exactly because Apple is a hardware company that I think they will fix things. Apple wants FCPX to sell hardware and that means tooling to work in demanding situations that no "prosumer" would ever be in.

Return to posts index

David A Fenton
on Jul 16, 2011 at 3:35:37 pm

I have to agree. FCPX is powerful and simultaneously fun to use, it seems to stay out of the way when I'm trying to edit. I see something I put it there, or here or down there...its just does whatever I say immediately.

My only complaints are lack of round tripping to Motion 5, and the fact that some real cool plugins from Red Giant seem to be AE only.

Return to posts index

David A Fenton
on Jul 16, 2011 at 3:43:54 pm

**delete (duplicate) **

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jul 16, 2011 at 3:48:05 pm

[Sean Thomas] "Thank you Apple for changing everything! Out with the old and in with something new."

Great! Glad you're having so much fun with the new FCP X!

Please write back and tell us about your experiences when it's time to deliver a project for a customer: I'd be interested in knowing how it turned out.

Please write back and tell us about your experiences when it's time to modify an older project, perhaps one from a year ago: I'd be interested in knowing how it turned out.

Please write back and tell us about your experiences when it's time to make multiple versions of the same project: I'd be interested in knowing how it turned out.

Please write back and tell us about your experiences when when working with Photoshop documents containing multiple layers: I'd be interested in knowing how it turned out.

Please write back and tell us about your experiences when it's time to bring in an additional editor to work on the same project: I'd be interested in knowing how it turned out.

Please write back and tell us about your experiences when it's time to deliver a project on HD videotape: I'd be interested in knowing how it turned out.

Best of luck to you, and I sincerely hope you keep enjoying your new software!

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

jurriaan van der kamp
on Jul 16, 2011 at 5:45:19 pm

If you dont make audio only crosses or you have the time to do a cross in even (yes seven!!!) comands i'm sure its fun.
Maybe it's fun to see how fast you can do these seven comands. I'm just curious what all these positive people are cutting. A childrens birthday party to a happy tune?
When you have to do some basic audio(of video) handling you'll see you are dealing with a amateur fun app indeed!
If your work depends on a pro app this imovie x is it just sad. It's like shooting a sports event with one off the better compact fotocamera's . Al the functions are there but really heard to find and use...At the other hand the compact cam is made for point and shoot so it doe everything for you. Focus iris an all that stuff are no problem no more...fun. A professional fotocamera has all the robust buttons right at your convienience.easy to use. It doesn't have any automatic amateur bogus functions it is made for people who have to set all the functions themselves. These people are serious hobbyists or pro's
Fcp x is not for pro's

Return to posts index

David A Fenton
on Jul 16, 2011 at 8:28:03 pm

Okay so if FCPX is categorically not for pros then I scratch my head as to why pros are congregating in an FCPX forum. Might we see the same discourse in the iMovie forum? Learn me a lesson or two.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jul 16, 2011 at 8:50:12 pm

[jurriaan van der kamp] "Maybe it's fun to see how fast you can do these seven comands. I'm just curious what all these positive people are cutting. "

Maybe some of us are using this in real world scenarios so we can send Apple feedback on feature improvements.

Maybe there are some things it does well that are worthwhile for specific types of projects.

Why not invest your time learning Premiere or Avid then spend time denigrating people who are trying to learn a program.

[jurriaan van der kamp] "If your work depends on a pro app"

My work depends on my skills. I also spend time providing feedback to developers so they can improved their products so that they might meet my professional expectations.

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on Jul 16, 2011 at 9:20:20 pm

Craig, fyi, I do appreciate the even-handed tone and centered POV that you've brought to this discussion.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jul 16, 2011 at 10:13:31 pm

Thank you.

I think both Apple and FCPX deserve criticism. If there's reasoned discourse they may consider integrating features. I try to evaluate what is concretely improved, what concretely fails, some of the non standard design decisions and why they might succeed or fail to improve workflows depending on Apple's next steps.

One might say my position is that they have a good foundation . . . but the spiral escalator to the first floor is a problem. I like that they're using an escalator instead of a staircase but it might be better if they straightened it out. Since I like the foundation and like the escalator idea, I'm hoping they fix the escalator. Granted if one doesn't like escalators I can understand. Escalators have their own set of problems especially if one likes using one's legs to walk for example.

Apple has built an new house and not everyone wants to live in something designed by Frank Lloyd Wright especially if getting around the house forces one to go in circles . . . or discovers that there's no windows or bathroom.

Return to posts index

Sean Thomas
on Jul 16, 2011 at 5:55:22 pm

by Dave LaRonde:

Please write back and tell us about your experiences when it's time to deliver a project for a customer: I'd be interested in knowing how it turned out.
Will do. Got a 30 second spot coming up in two weeks. Plan on working through FCP X until then to get my chops up.

Please write back and tell us about your experiences when it's time to modify an older project, perhaps one from a year ago: I'd be interested in knowing how it turned out.
That's easy - still got my old FCP systm right beside me, opens up all my old projects.

Please write back and tell us about your experiences when it's time to make multiple versions of the same project: I'd be interested in knowing how it turned out.
Haven't tried that yet.

Please write back and tell us about your experiences when when working with Photoshop documents containing multiple layers: I'd be interested in knowing how it turned out.
No problem - got AE.

Please write back and tell us about your experiences when it's time to bring in an additional editor to work on the same project: I'd be interested in knowing how it turned out.
I get up, he sits down???

Please write back and tell us about your experiences when it's time to deliver a project on HD videotape: I'd be interested in knowing how it turned out.
Tape? What's that? :-)

[spell check OFF]

Return to posts index

jurriaan van der kamp
on Jul 16, 2011 at 6:01:51 pm

How do you make your audio only cross in fcp with 7 strakes or in fcp7?

Return to posts index

jurriaan van der kamp
on Jul 16, 2011 at 6:01:48 pm

i ment strokes

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on Jul 16, 2011 at 6:28:02 pm

Sean, how on earth can you meet your delivery requirements for a :30? How to you create individual stems? A separate M&E? These are standard delivery requirements for nearly every studio and broadcast network I deliver to. I don't know where or for whom you are doing a :30, but I would consider your final delivery requirements before making your cut on X. Certainly, if you don't have any delivery requirement other than a stereo or a 5.1 mix, it would make for a fine experiment. I, however, don't have that luxury.

Return to posts index

Sean Thomas
on Jul 16, 2011 at 10:02:58 pm

I wansn't making any comment on anyone elses luxury or production demands.

30 sec. spot - mastered stereo audio from ProTools - HD file delivered to 3 stations via FTP.

That's my luxury. Please don't slam it or put it down as amature, it's how I provide for my family.

[spell check off]

Return to posts index

Sean Thomas
on Jul 17, 2011 at 1:02:23 am

To your point 3:

Can I save different versions of my project?
Yes. Final Cut Pro X automatically saves your project during the editing process, so you never lose your work. If you want to save a version of your project, with or without duplicate media, select it in the Project Library and choose File > Duplicate Project.

Worked fine for me I have 3 versions of the same original edit.

FCP X: Type A
[spell check OFF]

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on Jul 16, 2011 at 10:25:14 pm

Sean, I think you are reading snark in my post that wasn't there. Or, at least, wasn't meant to be there. I simply meant by "luxury" that my delivery requirements are heavier than I would like. Personally, I would love to not have build all of the tracks I have to.

Return to posts index

Sean Thomas
on Jul 16, 2011 at 10:48:29 pm

Yes - sorry about that.

It seems that you assumed that your workflow was my workflow and if it couldn't work for you it can't work for me.

It seems that many pro editors - who ever you are - are locked in a box and can't get out.

I'm on an iCloud and can see for miles. :-)

My mindset is, no matter what - I am going to make FCP X work for me. A mindset that some can't seem to comprehend.

[spell check OFF]

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on Jul 16, 2011 at 10:56:19 pm

This is a troll, right?

Return to posts index

Sean Thomas
on Jul 16, 2011 at 11:02:16 pm

No, but that's funny - explain.

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on Jul 16, 2011 at 11:05:44 pm

I just thought you were joking. I guess not.

Return to posts index

Sean Thomas
on Jul 16, 2011 at 11:10:18 pm

Somewhat joking - that's why I used the :-)

[spell check OFF]

Return to posts index

Brian Langeman
on Jul 16, 2011 at 11:19:51 pm

[Sean Thomas] "I'm on an iCloud and can see for miles. :-)

My mindset is, no matter what - I am going to make FCP X work for me. A mindset that some can't seem to comprehend."

So if a phillips head screwdriver isn't big enough for a certain screw, would you continue to try and make it work? Or would you go get a proper sized screwdriver?

FCP, Premiere Pro, and Avid are all just tools to get a job done. Any professional, whether he's doing hollywood features or weddings, should understand this. Your inability to be able to look at another brand seems very unprofessional.

Return to posts index

Sean Thomas
on Jul 16, 2011 at 11:31:24 pm

My screwdriver is big enough! Why do you assume it won't work for me.....keyword me.

I DO NOT need to look at any other programs. I have FCP7 that does what it has always done. I have FCP X to learn and to do my first project with in about 2 weeks.

This post is about how FCP X is working for me and how I like it. Some have responded in disbelief that if it isn't working for them and their clients and their workflow, that it certainly can't work for me.

Sorry, I do not live in your box.

[spell check OFF]

Return to posts index

Brian Langeman
on Jul 16, 2011 at 11:42:45 pm

You're right! You've created your own little box of apples that's even smaller than mine! You see, in my box I'll allow myself to use whichever editor fits my needs. All you've got is FCPX. If that's all you need, that's fine. But it's still a much smaller box of tools than mine.

Return to posts index

Sean Thomas
on Jul 16, 2011 at 11:54:36 pm

Weird - I just said I have FCP 7 and FCP X - on two different workstations. I really don't need anything else because I'm not complaining about either.

The box that some pro's seem to be in is "FCP isn't what I thought it was going to be, so I must switch to something else, now." I'm just saying, I'm not in that box at all.

[spell check OFF]

Return to posts index

Mike Chedwick
on Jul 17, 2011 at 4:05:05 pm

Anyone who says "FCP X Working Perfectly" is disingenuous and shows they are not to be taken seriously.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jul 17, 2011 at 4:38:47 pm

[Mike Chedwick] "Anyone who says "FCP X Working Perfectly" is disingenuous"

Maybe it has for the features they've tried, used, needed.
Perfection might mean stability (not everyone is getting crashes). It might mean it does everything they need to do to get their particular job done.

We have no idea how limited or expansive the project was that it was used to edit. The evaluation might be limited rather than disingenuous.

Return to posts index

Chris Jacek
on Jul 17, 2011 at 5:37:08 pm

"My mindset is, no matter what - I am going to make FCP X work for me. A mindset that some can't seem to comprehend."

I think the incomprehensible part is the "no matter what." It would be foolish to mindlessly follow whatever Apple tells us to do, just because they are Apple. Most of the people who are complaining, are doing so because they have been fiercely loyal to Apple. They are/were fiercely loyal because Apple always handled things in a particular way, which many of us believe has changed in recent years. You can count me as one of those people.

As I read the market, there is a strong likelihood that neither FCP7 or FCPX will be the dominant editing software in the near future, at least not in the professional market. I believe Apple will continue to develop FCPX to have mass appeal, and have already turned their back on FCP7. They will not spend significant resources to make FCPX a high-end professional application (like FCP7, Premiere, and Avid). It is not close to that now, and it would cost quite a bit to get it there. There's no real profit motive to do that.

Sean, I think the danger in your mindset is that you may be willing to live and die with FCPX, but as you mentioned, many are in great disagreement with you. The majority will drive the market in whatever direction they want, and it you stick with FCPX, you will start to lose relevancy in the market. Just ask anyone who exclusively hitched their horse to Fast, Media 100, or Amiga.

Professor, Producer, Editor
and former Apple Employee

Return to posts index

Sean Thomas
on Jul 17, 2011 at 5:48:19 pm

[Chris Jacek] "Sean, I think the danger in your mindset is that you may be willing to live and die with FCPX, but as you mentioned, many are in great disagreement with you. The majority will drive the market in whatever direction they want, and it you stick with FCPX, you will start to lose relevancy in the market. Just ask anyone who exclusively hitched their horse to Fast, Media 100, or Amiga."

Mindsets can change. For now, I'm going to use FCP X on a project. What's the big deal. I still have 7 if it doesn't work out. I will not loose relevance in the market because I use X.

I too hitched my horse to M100, when it was dead I went to FCP. When FCP was almost dead, I went to FCP X. FCP 7 will be phased out as X becomes more mature. It's a migration process, not a "on the day that Apple released FCP X, my life ended" situation.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jul 17, 2011 at 5:54:35 pm

[Chris Jacek] "They are/were fiercely loyal because Apple always handled things in a particular way, which many of us believe has changed in recent years. You can count me as one of those people. "

They certainly have but I think the assumptions people are making may be wrong (maybe not, time will tell). Apple has always had long transitions and long EOL. They are still doing that with other products and services. I wouldn't be surprised if there's some management upheaval as a result of the botched release strategy (or lack of one).

[Chris Jacek] "They will not spend significant resources to make FCPX a high-end professional application (like FCP7, Premiere, and Avid). It is not close to that now, and it would cost quite a bit to get it there. There's no real profit motive to do that. "

This is one of what I believe to be the mistaken assumptions. FCPX did not follow any of Apple's patterns for release strategy for any of their consumer/prosumer products. There was no release press event. There was no Apple home page headlines. The only marketing attempt was the sneak peek shown to a high end audience. This is not a consumer marketing approach they have ever practiced. It's a failed approach to market to pros.

Apple makes its money selling hardware and FCPX is probably geared to selling MacPros, MacBookPros and selling new lower end models as "starter" editing systems. They've done a botch job of marketing though.

Personally I think "someone" in Apple realized they had a problem on their hands, which is why this was a "quiet" release. All marketing became "quiet" after the sneak peek

Apple will have to fix things (both the program and the marketing) if they want FCPX to sell hardware. Anybody on Avid or Premiere can move to Windows and I'm sure Apple doesn't want that.

Return to posts index

Sean Thomas
on Jul 17, 2011 at 5:51:41 pm

Again, someone applying their views and truths to mine.

I will say it again, "FCP is Workgin Perfectly......for me." Keyword me.

Return to posts index

Brian Langeman
on Jul 17, 2011 at 6:37:26 pm

[Sean Thomas] "I will say it again, "FCP is Workgin Perfectly......for me." Keyword me."

Please re-read the title of your post.

Return to posts index

Sean Thomas
on Jul 17, 2011 at 7:50:48 pm

Did you think I ment it was "working perfectly" for you or everyone else?

".......me" was CLEARLY added for clarification. I guess it didn't work.

[Mike Chedwick] "Anyone who says "FCP X Working Perfectly" is disingenuous and shows they are not to be taken seriously."

Your statement is preposterous. How can you make a statement about how FCP X is working for me and what I think about it?

What I've learned on this forum is that if you LIKE FCP X or have anything good or positive to say about it, there is a group of so called Elite Pros that will come in a shit on your parade. Becuase it doesn't work for them, it most certainly can't work for anyone else.

I don't know what to call this mentality: ignorant, arrogant, pittyfull, blind, whatever - but it's sad.

[spell check OFF]

Return to posts index

Chris Jacek
on Jul 17, 2011 at 10:33:47 pm

[Sean Thomas] "I don't know what to call this mentality: ignorant, arrogant, pittyfull, blind, whatever - but it's sad."

I know what I'd call the mentality of that statement: arrogant and myopic. You're basically doing what you accuse the "elite pros" of doing.

Return to posts index

Brian Langeman
on Jul 17, 2011 at 10:36:29 pm

Haha! Hypocrisy at it's finest.

Return to posts index

Sean Thomas
on Jul 18, 2011 at 12:09:44 am

[Chris Jacek] "I know what I'd call the mentality of that statement: arrogant and myopic. You're basically doing what you accuse the "elite pros" of doing."

Yes, but I'm not the one on a FCP X forum whining, complaining, and calling anyone who likes the app and amature, idiot, troll, 12 year old etc.

I have only spoke about MY expierences with X. And as soon as I do, some ELITE PRO gouges with insults and disbelief that anyone would ever use X. That is myopic - "if I don't like it and it doesn't work for me, then no one else should like it and it can't work for them."

When I came to the FCP X forum, I expected to find people using the program, talking about how to use the program. Not a bunch of whining ELITE PROS dogging every good thing you say about Apple or X.

This is why a few of us have said (somewhat jokingly) "All the haters go somewhere else" so we can learn and talk about X.

[spell check OFF]

Return to posts index

Chris Jacek
on Jul 18, 2011 at 3:43:40 am

[Sean Thomas] "This is why a few of us have said (somewhat jokingly) "All the haters go somewhere else" so we can learn and talk about X."

And that's why so many are offended. This is a FCP X forum, not at "FCP X only if you like it" forum. This is for all viewpoints, and should be an open exchange of ideas. Your statement, even if somewhat jokingly, is just like the people who used to say "If you don't like the way Bush is running the country, then why don't you leave."

I'll respond the same way now that I responded then. H-E-double-hockey-sticks no, I'm not going to leave. If I don't like something, I'm going to speak out about it, and do my best to change it. Even if I may not have the power to change it, I'm not going to stop speaking out about it.

If I see something as a pile of garbage, then I am going to tell everyone that I think it's a pile of garbage, whether it's a president or a editing application. And if you tell me it isn't a pile of garbage, I am going to disagree loudly if I feel strongly about it. I think FCP X is a pile of garbage, and until it stops being a pile of garbage, I'll keep saying that it is. I think I have that right.

If you don't like it, I'm sure you can easily skip past all my posts, and I won't take offense. If you want to argue about it, I won't take offense either. If you tell me to shut up about my opinion, I'm definitely going to take offense, but even then I'm still willing to debate you on it.

Be warned, though, I'm stubborn, and have the summers off.

Return to posts index

Sean Thomas
on Jul 18, 2011 at 4:17:53 am

Hey Chris - I can handle that. I've made some generalized criticisms about ELITE PRO's = Whinners and haters. But I'm certainly not intending to insult any one person.

I have been personally instulted and criticised because "FCP X is working perfectly for me and I love it!", but that's no big deal, we're all just voicing our opinions and frustrations.

So the haters can come on here all they want and cry, kick, and sceam, just don't level personal insults to people who have made up their minds to use FCP X and like it.

I hope to spend more time in the Techniques forum where it's much more productive. But this is fun too. :-)

[spell check OFF]

Return to posts index

eric pautsch
on Jul 18, 2011 at 3:45:21 am

What you say makes sense and FCP X is a fine application but you seem to forget the stem of peoples anger.

This was supposed to be a greatly anticipated and progressive software update Sean. One based on current workflows app worflows. I personally havent met a fellow collegue you shares your Optimism. I thinks it's kinda weird to find a fellow FCP editor who feels this is a acceptable situation....sorry....I just do. :)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]