FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCPX Crashing

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Robin lewis
FCPX Crashing
on Jul 15, 2011 at 6:43:50 pm

My FCPX crashes every time I go in to the Music selection Tab, This "Tab" is currently directed to the Final cut pro sound effects library as that was what I was accessing last time I used it, the whole programme crashes?

Any idea as to why this might be happening?

And also is there maybe a preferences file i could trash that might sort the problem out?

Thanks

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: FCPX Crashing
on Jul 15, 2011 at 7:04:03 pm

He's a couple of things to try.
Repair Disk Permissions just in case that may be a cause.

Create a New User with Admin status. Delete all Login items for that user. Reboot and login to the New User Admin and try it in that account. That will tell you if there's a user or system related issue.

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on Jul 15, 2011 at 7:48:00 pm

and THERE IT IS--

Craig, you are my first sighting of this venerable FCP advice in FCPX. I guess there are a few legacy features, after all. (smiley emoticon goes here)

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jul 15, 2011 at 8:23:29 pm

At least we don't need to use Conflict Catcher.

Return to posts index

Robin lewis
on Jul 15, 2011 at 8:01:33 pm

repairing disk permissions seems to have done the trick, thanks

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jul 15, 2011 at 8:22:42 pm

Good to hear.
Generally permissions and corrupt user files of some sort are a common cause of crashes so the above two techniques are a good way to catch and fix.

Return to posts index

Ray Wang
on Jul 16, 2011 at 2:17:20 am

It takes a while (spinning beach ball) to get music tab to open for the first time.

If you sort (say by duration) for the first time it also takes some spinning beach balls to complete the whole process.

In my case the beach ball stopped spinning after 5-10mins.

---
Ray

Return to posts index

Sean Thomas
on Jul 16, 2011 at 11:39:01 pm

Yes - just tried what you said. Opened up music for the first time. Over 5,000 SFX, music, VO, etc. all opend up very quickly. I clicked on the FCP SFX folder (1,337 items) then the Time sort botton and the beach ball came up for about 1 min.

How many items were in your sort list, what computer and specs?

FCP X: Type A
[spell check OFF]

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jul 16, 2011 at 11:43:03 pm

I wonder if there's an issue with how it's handling RAM or the amount of RAM it needs.

Return to posts index

Sean Thomas
on Jul 16, 2011 at 11:46:30 pm

It could be a one-time cache or indexing situation. Once it did what it did, everything can be sorted very quickly.

I assume it's similar to what iTunes does when it first indexes your MP3 library.

Return to posts index

Ray Wang
on Jul 17, 2011 at 1:50:40 am

Yes 1 min for the FCP SFX folder.

5 mins for sorting my itunes music by time (for the first time, subsequent runs are instant).

---
Ray

Return to posts index

Robin lewis
on Jul 17, 2011 at 12:33:59 pm

I have a MAcbook pro 15" i7 top spec and ram, it does struggle when opening the WHOLE SFX Library.

An extra question tho, how do I navigate to my own SFX folder thatIi keep on an external drive? ( this also applies to the music folder and pictures, i do not like the fat they seem to be locking us to Iphoto and Itunes)

Return to posts index

Ray Wang
on Jul 17, 2011 at 1:16:57 pm

I think there are 2 approaches:

1) import the music file / effect to events
2) drag from finder to storyline/timeline

#2 is a better approach as FCP X will import the media to events and will connect to the clip in your timeline.

---
Ray

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]