FORUMS: list search recent posts

Tekserve NYC July 14- Evan Schechtman of OutPost Digital and Radical Media on FCPX - Summary

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Craig Seeman
Tekserve NYC July 14- Evan Schechtman of OutPost Digital and Radical Media on FCPX - Summary
on Jul 15, 2011 at 4:16:17 pm

http://www.tekserve.com/learning-events/detail.php?id=12442
Tekserve NYC July 14- Evan Schechtman of OutPost Video (Founder) and Radical Media (CTO) on FCPX event.
OutPost
http://www.outpostdigital.com/black.html
Radical media
http://www.radicalmedia.com/

Tekserve had mentioned that about 500 registered for the event. It was their largest even ever.
Evan walked through every feature he could think of in FCPX. Nothing unusual to report. Of course he bumped into a few of the bugs, beach balls that wouldn't go away, suddenly not being able to select things in the timeline. Basically he said he likes what he sees and he'll wait to see what Apple adds.

Afterwards some of us asked him some details about his business opinions regarding FCPX.
He has 50 seats of FCS. 30 of those seats also have FCPX on them. He was able to get volume licensing. He needed to add 7(?) FCS seats and he was able to do that as Apple is apparently allowing retailers to sell additional seats. He is not doing any paid work with FCPX as of yet. He believes people jumping to other NLEs are acting rashly (my paraphrase). He will wait a year and see where FCPX is before making that kind of financial commitment.

Return to posts index

Keith Koby
Re: Tekserve NYC July 14- Evan Schechtman of OutPost Digital and Radical Media on FCPX - Summary
on Jul 15, 2011 at 9:42:16 pm

It was a terrific event. Evan was well spoken, knowledgable and entertaining. He gave a great historical perspective of _new_ apple product launches and "old" product deaths. He showed a history of additions to FCP and offered some perspective on why X is the way it is at 10.0.

He made no silly defense of how the product was launched. He was, in fact, very frank and very fair.

I brought 11 editors from my facility with me to see the event. When we went in, there were probably 3 or 4 in the more negative camp and about 6 neutrals and 1 more positive. After they saw the event, I would say that I saw 7 or 8 positives on the product, 1 neutral and 2 negatives - but maybe still a little more comfortable or at least more educated on the product. So some were encouraged and some were made a little less nervous.

If I can sum up the negative feelings of my employees/colleagues, they revolve around changing the workflow and interface. Some are rightfully upset about having to change their methods. But, part of the preso was about precisely that. Some things change for the better and some for the worse. Some things look better at the start than they are and others catch on. We as users, don't always see all of the reasons that companies dump product lines or change their products. (And certainly the reasons being imagined in the blogosphere are seldom accurate.)

Keith Koby
Sr. Director Post-Production Engineering
iNDEMAND NETWORKS
Howard TV!/Movies On Demand/iNDEMAND Pay-Per-View/iNDEMAND 3D

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: Tekserve NYC July 14- Evan Schechtman of OutPost Digital and Radical Media on FCPX - Summary
on Jul 16, 2011 at 12:27:36 am

I think seeing someone who is both an experienced editor and successful facility manager have a practical look at both FCPX and the history behind it, was important for many. That a place known as a VAR hosting an event for an NLE they can't even sell directly, adds to the credibility. One might almost say this was a mini "supermeet" done right. It was an analysis and program demo rather than a marketing event.

Regarding the changes ranging from "engine" to GUI I think there's a lot behind that, that Apple can't explain in any great detail that's going to make sense to many editors or businesses.

What should be clear, as exemplified last night, is that FCPX holds promised. Some readily apparent and much that will be "wait and see." Even at one's most cautious approach, there's no urgency to jump ship. There's no reason at all to believe Apple isn't going to move this forward as quickly as possible and we'll get a clearer picture where they're taking the feature set.

One thin Evan seemed clear about is that FCPX is targeted to "pros" as he repeated these are not features "the skateboarders" will use.

Return to posts index

Michael Largé
on Jul 16, 2011 at 2:01:25 am

I was also at the Tekserve event, but I left early.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jul 16, 2011 at 2:15:22 am

After the free beer I assume?

Return to posts index

Keith Koby
on Jul 16, 2011 at 2:28:33 am

Free beer tastes good.

Keith Koby
Sr. Director Post-Production Engineering
iNDEMAND NETWORKS
Howard TV!/Movies On Demand/iNDEMAND Pay-Per-View/iNDEMAND 3D

Return to posts index

Michael Largé
on Jul 16, 2011 at 3:08:11 am

[Craig Seeman] "After the free beer I assume?"

LOL. No, I didn't touch the free beer/cookie/pastries they offered. The speaker - Evan - was engaging, but after the "History of FCP", the rest of the presentation felt like he was attempting to calm down hysterical editors. Since I'm already a fan of FCPX (despite it's curent shortcomings), I don't need convincing of it merits. Ironically, he would've been more suited to talking to some of the negative members of the Cow, specifically, the ones in this forum.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jul 16, 2011 at 3:07:59 am

Thanks for this post, Craig.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]