FORUMS: list search recent posts

Avid MC 6.0: Looking good!

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brad Bussé
Avid MC 6.0: Looking good!
on Jul 15, 2011 at 2:45:43 am

Avid MC 6 features revealed.

New GUI, no loss of features, 64-bit, Kona support, DNxHD 44444, ProRes encoding on both Mac and PC, more Red Giant plugin support, more audio tools. DAMN Avid, good show!

Anyone know if MC supports Open CL or CUDA? Even if MC 6 turns out to still have stability issues when installed with lots of other applications, I'm thinking with a 12 or 16 core running Lion, you could just run a second Lion install as a dedicated sandbox, and then maybe another one for ProTools, with the rest of your applications on the primary boot install. I may end up back on an Avid.

More here.

Return to posts index

Andrew Richards
Re: Avid MC 6.0: Looking good!
on Jul 15, 2011 at 3:16:27 am

I want to know if MC6 will support shared filesystem storage.

Best,
Andy

Return to posts index

Sean Thomas
on Jul 15, 2011 at 3:31:48 am

Where's the magnetic timeline? :-)

Return to posts index

Michael Hancock
on Jul 15, 2011 at 3:40:39 am

If it's there, I guarantee you can completely turn it off. :-)

----------------
Michael Hancock
Editor

Return to posts index

Andrew Richards
on Jul 15, 2011 at 3:45:18 am

[Sean Thomas] "Where's the magnetic timeline? :-)"

On the cutting room floor.

Best,
Andy

Return to posts index

Chris Conlee
on Jul 15, 2011 at 5:18:59 am

It's called "sync locks" and it's been there for oh, about a decade and a half. And yes, you can turn them off.

Chris

Return to posts index

Mark Raudonis
on Jul 15, 2011 at 4:31:35 am

[Andrew Richards] "shared filesystem storage"

Yes!

Mark

Return to posts index

Andrew Richards
on Jul 15, 2011 at 4:34:17 am

Yes it will? Details!? Haven't seen it mentioned anywhere...

Best,
Andy

Return to posts index

Mark Raudonis
on Jul 15, 2011 at 4:40:00 am

http://www.avid.com/US/products/ISIS5000

mark

Return to posts index

Andrew Richards
on Jul 15, 2011 at 4:54:15 am

Oh, well, yeah. I was hoping it could become friendly with shared-disk filesystems (like StorNext). I guess Avid has to make a living somewhere. Still addressing storage like it's 1989.

Best,
Andy

Return to posts index

Robert Brown
on Jul 15, 2011 at 5:14:11 am

I've said this before but I'm glad Apple is bowing out of the pro scene. They don't deserve to be there. Their ADHD finally got the best of them.

Return to posts index

Chris Conlee
on Jul 15, 2011 at 5:20:03 am

Yep, and it works.

Return to posts index

Jeff Bernstein
on Jul 15, 2011 at 7:24:20 am

[Andrew Richards] "Oh, well, yeah. I was hoping it could become friendly with shared-disk filesystems (like StorNext). I guess Avid has to make a living somewhere. Still addressing storage like it's 1989.
"

Reading my mind again. They need to get rid of the "virtualized volume" requirement. While they are at it, they need to get rid of the code in ProTools that checks the storage and has a very narrow idea of which storage and storage-types are kosher.

Return to posts index

Jeff Bernstein
on Jul 15, 2011 at 7:20:23 am

[Andrew Richards] " I want to know if MC6 will support shared filesystem storage.
"

You are reading my mind!!! With support for other QuickTime I/O boards out of the way, this would be the last stumbling block to an easy transition.

Return to posts index

Chris Simpson
on Jul 15, 2011 at 7:17:41 pm

does it have a multicam facility anything remotely like/or as good as FCP7?

As I'm tempted....

Return to posts index

Chris Conlee
on Jul 15, 2011 at 7:50:57 pm

Yeah, Avid has a very powerful multi-cam capability.

Chris

Return to posts index

Tangier Clarke
on Jul 15, 2011 at 10:07:20 pm

Not to burst any bubbles, but a rewrite of an application (granted missing features from older coded versions and missing those for whatever timing/shareholder/ technology advance-roadmap issues) is no indication of Apple leaving the pro space (as if we all agreed what "pro means"). They just really bungled this release (in our eyes).

MC6 looks really great. Though I am not counting Apple out on this one. I don't expect any company to do things right all of the time and boy did they mess this launch up (from our opinion it seems).

Apple has an entire ecosystem of products from hardware to software that few companies can touch when it comes to harnessing technology, human interface, quality, and lest we not forget - leading many industries to follow them even if they didn't do "it" first.

I have now cut three projects with FCPX/Motion 5 and am absolutely loving this application and really look forward to it's potential.

Perhaps AVID is significantly smarter in the way MC has evolved as of late, but I think we'll see the fruits of AV Foundation, OpenCL, FCP X (and it's liking by developers), media creation and distribution in general, Thunderbolt, and DAMS. There's a lot of things that it seems Apple has been refining and working on over the past few years we have yet to see the full benefit of, but from what I can tell, the future looks bright. Really bright.

In the meantime, I'd be more than willing to take a look at MC6 and even Premier, but my FCS3 still works great (even though I'd already rather work in FCP X with my AF100 content).

Happy cutting.

Tangier

Return to posts index

Peter Corbett
on Jul 16, 2011 at 4:34:27 am

Wow, love that redesigned GUI; it looks like what I'm used to with CS5. I downloaded the Avid 5.5 demo but the complex and unintuitive GUI put me off. This 6.0 though looks a lot different.

Peter Corbett
Powerhouse Productions
http://www.php.com.au

Return to posts index

Damian Kitaigrodsky
Re: Avid MC 6.0: Looking good! - not so good to me
on Nov 27, 2011 at 8:38:10 am

That is WRONG! No Pro res encoding support for PC based Avids.
I have a G5 running FCP6 and MC3 that does ProRes import and export to all the AVID stations in the facility, allowing the use of AJA KIPRO.
So, cut the crap, Avid, ProRes Support is not new in Avid for Mac. It's new for PC, but of course, you can't give Avid users a perfect workflow, you must disable ProRes export, because that's how Avid works.
Maybe we'll see ProRes exports in MC10.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]