FORUMS: list search recent posts

Look whats comming to avid (maybe)

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>

Chris Kenny
Re: Look whats comming to avid (maybe)
on Jul 15, 2011 at 2:56:03 am

It's kind of hilarious that Avid claims 80% of pros use Avid, while Apple showed a chart at the Supermeet saying FCP X dominates among broadcast and post house customers and even Premiere has recently surpassed Avid.

It goes to show you how meaningless the "pro" term is. You can produce any result you want by defining it in a way that suits your needs.

--
Digital Workflow/Colorist, Nice Dissolve.

You should follow me on Twitter here. Or read our blog.

Return to posts index

Michael Hancock
on Jul 15, 2011 at 3:24:17 am

Considering Apple counts FCPExpress licenses when it talks about having 2 million users, yeah - numbers are pretty much worthless. It's marketing.

That said, Avid is picking up steam and isn't really showing any signs of slowing down. Amazing to watch this ordeal unfold.

----------------
Michael Hancock
Editor

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Jul 15, 2011 at 5:03:41 am

[Chris Kenny] "You can produce any result you want by defining it in a way that suits your needs."

Something you know a little bit about yourself Chris.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles
http://www.drwfilms.com

Don't miss my new tutorial: Prepare for a seamless transition to FCP X and OS X Lion
http://library.creativecow.net/weiss_roth_david/FCP-10-MAC-Lion/1

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums.

Return to posts index

Carsten Orlt
on Jul 15, 2011 at 5:26:17 am

David,
Stop being such a grumpy old...
It's getting personal!
I find it unacceptable how you behave on this forum!
Where are the moderators when you need them...

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Jul 15, 2011 at 9:19:45 am

You obviously have me confused with someone else Carsten.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles
http://www.drwfilms.com

Don't miss my new tutorial: Prepare for a seamless transition to FCP X and OS X Lion
http://library.creativecow.net/weiss_roth_david/FCP-10-MAC-Lion/1

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums.

Return to posts index

Chris Conlee
on Jul 15, 2011 at 5:23:09 am

All I know is that working in Hollywood for the better part of a decade, I've never been on a FCP show, but I've been on dozens of Avid shows and features. And I've never even heard of somebody doing a show on Premiere.

Chris

Return to posts index

Robert Brown
on Jul 15, 2011 at 5:30:42 am

Yeah Premiere is a long shot but I'm still rooting on Adobe to develop it to something nice and get a big user base. It's the most painless transition at the moment and it has some really good stuff.

Return to posts index

Sam Cole
on Jul 15, 2011 at 5:58:13 am

Not so long ago Adobe Premiere (CS2) almost sent me out of business. FCP saved me at a huge cost; mainly tossing the PC format and buying a whole heap of Mac Pro's.
I could NEVER go back to Adobe Premiere no matter WHAT good things people say about it. It just leaves so many bad memories.
One saving grace during the whole ordeal was the the 5 edit suites I switched over were all Blackmagic boxes so no costs there; they worked on both systems.
But if those same boxes can be used with Avid AND my Mac Pro's, well that is where I will end up (if FCPX can't get its act together).
Time will tell, but not too much time (read - less than 2 years).

Sam Cole
On line Mastering Facility
FCP, Avid, Adobe
Sydney, Australia

Return to posts index

Greg Andonian
on Jul 18, 2011 at 7:36:55 am

[Robert Brown]

"Premiere is a long shot but I'm still rooting on Adobe to develop it to something nice and get a big user base."

Premiere Pro in it's current form is still a little rough around the edges, but the foundation is solid, even without GPU acceleration (I ugraded my system ram to 18 gigs, and can now play back an AVCHD clip with several color correction filters seamlessly as long as the playback resolution is lowered to half).

I have a feeling CS6 will be a significant upgrade that will be appealing to a lot of people, due to all the feature requests Adobe is receiving from FCP refugees...

"THAT'S our fail-safe point. Up until here, we still have enough track to stop the locomotive before it plunges into the ravine... But after this windmill it's the future or bust."

Return to posts index

Chris Kenny
on Jul 15, 2011 at 12:27:20 pm

[Chris Conlee] "All I know is that working in Hollywood for the better part of a decade, I've never been on a FCP show, but I've been on dozens of Avid shows and features. And I've never even heard of somebody doing a show on Premiere."

And I strongly suspect Avid is defining "pro" along these sorts of lines, to arrive at the 80% figure. So we've now got at least three competing definitions:

1) Anyone who gets paid to edit video.
2) Film/TV editors in general.
3) Hollywood editors.

And people just go right on using the term (and building elaborate arguments around it) without specifying which of these they mean. It's made this whole debate hilariously unproductive.

--

Return to posts index

Chris Conlee
on Jul 18, 2011 at 3:56:11 am

I don't know if it's unproductive. For me I'm definitely referring to Hollywood editing, because that's where I am, and that's the work I do for a living. Because of that, I'm an Avid guy, through and through, and I suspect in this tiny arena, Avid will benefit from Apple's FCP X decisions. I will buy FCP X next month, now that I'm working again and have cash flow. It sounds fun and I think it will be cool for my YouTube videos that I do. Mind you, that's not meant to be derogatory. If you can make money with this tool then by all means go out and make money with it.

A long time ago I became agnostic about PC vs Mac, and I'm largely agnostic about FCP vs Avid vs Premiere. I own all three and I try to be at least marginally proficient in all, but I consider myself an expert in Avid, which is where I make my bread and butter. They're just tools, and the good news is they're all reasonably priced enough that if you have to make a choice because of some corporation's bad decisions, then it's not as cataclysmic as it was a decade ago.

Chris

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on Jul 15, 2011 at 9:34:58 am

"a chart at the Supermeet saying FCP X dominates among broadcast and post house customers"

Now THAT'S wishful thinking on your part. You of course mean FCP7/FCS3.

Return to posts index

Chris Kenny
on Jul 15, 2011 at 12:32:05 pm

[Chris Harlan] "Now THAT'S wishful thinking on your part. You of course mean FCP7/FCS3."

Obviously, FCP X not having been released yet at that point. I've been typing "FCP X" so much it has become automatic at this point.

--

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
on Jul 15, 2011 at 2:22:39 pm

oh would you ever stop - the word professional has meaning.

http://www.ogallchoir.net
promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics

Return to posts index

Matt Callac
on Jul 15, 2011 at 3:12:00 pm

[Aindreas Gallagher] " oh would you ever stop - the word professional has meaning."

All words do have a meaning. The meaning the user (of the words) has often is not the same as the meaning the receiver (listener/reader) has for those very same words.

-mattyc

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
on Jul 15, 2011 at 3:54:24 pm

[Matt Callac] "
All words do have a meaning. The meaning the user (of the words) has often is not the same as the meaning the receiver (listener/reader) has for those very same words."

ah gimme a break. A professional is a professional and an amateur is an amateur. there are amateur actors, golfers, tennis players, photographers - I'm three of those four things myself, but for people who are amateur at many things, they will tend to be professional at one thing - the thing that puts bread on their table. I can design in the round, I can still do print design layout in a pinch, I can kern type and prep artwork for print, I can assemble a seasons graphics package for the autumn schedule overhaul, I can knock out pretty good motion design, I can write a good promo script and I can edit - primarily shortform, but I'm working at it. I consider myself professionally competent in these areas.

All this balls about notions of professionalism being old fashioned in this wave of the future baby now, is driving me right up the walls.

It's total, total bull.

Return to posts index

Matt Callac
on Jul 15, 2011 at 4:06:49 pm

[Aindreas Gallagher] "ah gimme a break. A professional is a professional and an amateur is an amateur. there are amateur actors, golfers, tennis players, photographers - I'm three of those four things myself, but for people who are amateur at many things, they will tend to be professional at one thing - the thing that puts bread on their table."

Take this for example. I'm a skateboarder. I'm not a professional, so YOU might call me an amateur skateboarder, but I would not agree with that as a terminology because to me the term amateur means someone who is making a living skateboarding, but has not been deemed Pro by the company that pays him. So there are meanings for words but everyone has different meanings for those words.

Have a religious discussion with someone who has a faith different from your own and then tell me that words only have one meaning.
-mattyc

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
on Jul 15, 2011 at 4:16:32 pm

[Matt Callac] "Take this for example. I'm an accountant. I'm not a professional, so YOU might call me an amateur accountant, but I would not agree with that as a terminology because to me the term amateur means someone who is making a living as an accountant,"

I swapped out the ever pleasant skateboarding for accountancy.

For those who pay their bills with it, who have trained competitively for years to gain full proficiency at it, accountancy is their profession.

For those who pay their bills with it, who have trained competitively for years to gain full proficiency at it, editing is their profession.

nonbody noodles with accountancy for fun, people noodle with photography, sport, music, media, we're all naturally drawn to them - it doesn't mean they are not professions.

editing is a profession.

Return to posts index

Matt Callac
on Jul 15, 2011 at 4:42:17 pm

[Aindreas Gallagher] "For those who pay their bills with it, who have trained competitively for years to gain full proficiency at it, editing is their profession."

Quick OT "competitive edit training". I have images in my head of editors wearing sweat bands gearing up for awesome one on one editing competitions.

Lets say I worked in Hollywood for years cutting films. No doubt i'm a professional editor. I got sick of the hollywood system, so I quit and went into business for myself cutting commercials. Am I still a pro? Now I get tired of dealing with large corporations and editing by committee. Then I change my focus again and decide to only do Local advertising for mom and pop type shots? Am I still a pro? Then I realize mom and pop are just as nit-picky as hollywood producers and corporate bureaucracies. Now I decide to only do weddings. Am I still pro?

There are different subsets of the editing community and each one has different workflows and different needs. Wedding videography is not necessarily less "professional." Is there less technical know-how and less need for knowlege of "professional video formats" than someone doing commercials, or documentaries...Absolutely. But the people doing that type of work still consider themselves professionals and are still pro by those with more liberal understandings of the word pro.

-mattyc

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
on Jul 15, 2011 at 7:18:33 pm

[Matt Callac] "editors wearing sweat bands gearing up for awesome one on one editing competitions."

you never did that?

Return to posts index

Matt Callac
on Jul 15, 2011 at 7:57:02 pm

[Aindreas Gallagher] "you never did that?"

No, kinda jealous I didn't grow up cutting in the 80's.

-mattyc

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
on Jul 15, 2011 at 8:22:37 pm

I started editing in wales in the fifties - if I remember right we had to use coal to splice the reels.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jul 15, 2011 at 2:58:01 pm

[Chris Kenny] "...It's kind of hilarious that Avid claims 80% of pros use Avid, while Apple showed a chart at the Supermeet saying FCP X dominates among broadcast and post house customers and even Premiere has recently surpassed Avid...."

Since Apple hadn't released FCP X at that time, I suspect you actually meant to write "FCP 7", or "versions prior to FCP X"... unless you're suggesting Apple makes up statistics.

In an earlier thread, you had the unmitigated gall to question why broadcasters and post house owners would EVER be upset by Apple's Dirty Trick. Shame on you for even suggesting such a thing, and thank you for supplying the evidence why they're angry.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Chris Kenny
on Jul 15, 2011 at 3:54:35 pm

[Dave LaRonde] "In an earlier thread, you had the unmitigated gall to question why broadcasters and post house owners would EVER be upset by Apple's Dirty Trick. Shame on you for even suggesting such a thing, and thank you for supplying the evidence why they're angry."

What "dirty trick" are you referring to?

--

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jul 15, 2011 at 4:43:39 pm

[Chris Kenny] "What "dirty trick" are you referring to?"

I'll refresh your memory.

When Apple introduced FCPX, it concurrently cut off all sales of FCP7 and eliminated FCP 7 support on its web site. Apple gave absolutely no warning it would take these two actions. Thus, users who 1) frequently revisit existing FCP projects, 2) may have wanted to add FCP seats to their shops or 3) rely on peripheral equipment not supported by FCP X -- e.g. capture cards and videotape machines -- were left high and dry.

As you pointed out, FCP dominates among broadcasters and post houses, the the lion's share of whom meet the three conditions above, and none of whom I've contacted appreciate Apple's actions.

That's the dirty trick I refer to. I offer it as clarification to your query.

Please don't bore me by riding to Apple's defense yet again with some lame argument that splits hairs or reiterates what you've already said time and again. And again. And again.

And you still haven't answered my question: how much is Apple spending to buy you off?

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Chris Kenny
on Jul 15, 2011 at 5:33:24 pm

[Dave LaRonde] "And you still haven't answered my question: how much is Apple spending to buy you off?"

"Anyone who disagrees with me must be disingenuous". Nice argument.

In any event, you're misrepresenting my actual position, which is that a) Apple probably should have kept offering FCS3 during a transitional period, but that b) the fact that Apple stopped doing so does not mean copies of it are literally unattainable and, realistically, will not have the sort of apocalyptic effects on people's businesses that some have tried to claim.

--

Return to posts index

Jamie Franklin
on Jul 15, 2011 at 7:05:35 pm

[Chris Kenny] "the fact that Apple stopped doing so does not mean copies of it are literally unattainable and, realistically, will not have the sort of apocalyptic effects on people's businesses that some have tried to claim."

Wow...

This has become completely dogmatic for you. Ideologically argued at every turn...

I've seen this kind of argument more so in politics than frakkin software. In your faith based attempts for everyone else to see the light, you have completely blinded yourself...

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jul 15, 2011 at 7:21:07 pm

[Jamie Franklin] "In your faith based attempts for everyone else to see the light, you [Chris Kenney] have completely blinded yourself..."

Aah, I'm now officially bored with the guy.
I will no longer count the times I've seen the "just get it on eBay" defense, from him and many others. It didn't hold water the first time, and it certainly doesn't now after... what, the twenty-eighth time?

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Chris Kenny
on Jul 15, 2011 at 9:18:37 pm

[Jamie Franklin] "Wow...

This has become completely dogmatic for you. Ideologically argued at every turn...

I've seen this kind of argument more so in politics than frakkin software. In your faith based attempts for everyone else to see the light, you have completely blinded yourself..."

Seriously? It's "Ideological" and "dogmatic" to point out that while Apple should have left FCS3 on sale, their decision not to has not actually made it literally unattainable? Or to point out that the inability to buy additional seats of it direct from the vendor may be inconvenient for some, but will not actually do substantial material harm to anyone?

Meanwhile, others have called Apple's decision to EOL FCP X a "dirty trick" (see a couple of posts up) and even claimed Apple did this to deliberately sabotage existing users. That's perfectly reasonable, I suppose?

Some people have utterly lost anything resembling sane perspective on this issue.

--

Return to posts index

Jamie Franklin
on Jul 15, 2011 at 9:35:31 pm

[Chris Kenny] "Seriously? It's "Ideological" and "dogmatic" to point out that while Apple should have left FCS3 on sale, their decision not to has not actually made it literally unattainable? Or to point out that the inability to buy additional seats of it direct from the vendor may be inconvenient for some, but will not actually do substantial material harm to anyone?"

You continually marginalize the point like everything else in Apples favor. Because there is a "loophole" in being able to still obtain an EOL copy, you argue this point simply because you can...THAT is dogmatic Chris. And inexcusable to Apples moves. Period.

I appreciate your efforts to correct information, point people in the direction where things have moved and sometimes even appreciate the "opinions" on some of the forward thinking...but my appreciation doesn't have to include your shortsightedness replaced by blind faith and your patronizing attitude that others just don't see it, while marginalizing concerns and those that are choosing to migrate as if they are impatient, luddites or can't see the "potential"...as if that seriously needs to be pointed out in every post...?

Honestly, with all due respect, just because you can argue something, doesn't mean you should, or in any way feel it's constructive when in the end, you're being divisive, dismissive, marginalizing and in some cases patronizing...what's dogmatic about it the most is, you act like you are saying this for the first time, when it's not, and has been responded to ad nauseum the first 20 times you've said it......

Return to posts index

Chris Kenny
on Jul 15, 2011 at 9:48:34 pm

[Jamie Franklin] "You continually marginalize the point like everything else in Apples favor. Because there is a "loophole" in being able to still obtain an EOL copy, you argue this point simply because you can...THAT is dogmatic Chris."

It's "dogmatic" to point out that a situation other people are claiming is back-and-white actually isn't? That rather sounds like the opposite of dogmatism, actually.

(And, responding to your "continuously" claim, I am not the one who keeps raising this issue in otherwise unrelated threads.)

[Jamie Franklin] "And inexcusable to Apples moves. Period. "

I believe it's bad that Apple stopped selling FCS3 so quickly. I am not "excusing" this. But what does it mean to say it's "inexcusable"? That nobody should ever adopt FCP X? That nobody should ever buy any Apple product again? That Randy Ubillos should be tried at the Hague for crimes against humanity?

Frankly... Apple did something that's inconvenient for some people. That's too bad. But there's nothing left to say about it at this point. And again... I'm not the one who keeps bringing it up.

--

Return to posts index

Jamie Franklin
on Jul 15, 2011 at 9:56:35 pm

[Chris Kenny] "It's "dogmatic" to point out that a situation other people are claiming is back-and-white actually isn't? That rather sounds like the opposite of dogmatism, actually."

Good grief...you are getting tired.

Tit for tat now? What are they claiming there Chris? Taking it to the extreme is your problem, not theirs. If they feel what has happened here was done in bad faith, and that brought on a major inconvenience to their future with Apple, who are you to judge that? Or sit on your throne badgering them with "you can still get it on ebay" or "if you are the type that needs a future seat, that's your problem not Apples, you're in the minority"

Give us all a break...

Return to posts index

Chris Kenny
on Jul 15, 2011 at 10:08:33 pm

[Jamie Franklin] "Good grief...you are getting tired.

Tit for tat now? What are they claiming there Chris? Taking it to the extreme is your problem, not theirs. If they feel what has happened here was done in bad faith, and that brought on a major inconvenience to their future with Apple, who are you to judge that? Or sit on your throne badgering them with "you can still get it on ebay" or "if you are the type that needs a future seat, that's your problem not Apples, you're in the minority""

My opponents on this particular issue keep raising it in unrelated threads, arguing as if FCS3 is literally unavailable, attributing frankly crazy motivations to Apple (like deliberate sabotage of their market segments), and making dire predictions about FCP X's future market prospects as a consequence of Apple's behavior here.

I'm stepping in and pointing out FCS3 is not literally unavailable, that reading active malice in a company's decision to EOL a product is not especially sensible, and that realistically, people are not going to hold this against Apple forever, if FCP X is the best product for their needs in the future.

And for this, I get accused of being a blindly faithful and dogmatic ideologue who's taking things to extremes. Um... OK.

--

Return to posts index

Jamie Franklin
on Jul 15, 2011 at 10:16:06 pm

[Chris Kenny] "FCS3 is literally unavailable,"

pfffft

IT IS unavailable...I don't give a flying duck what you say when what you say is I have to buy a truffle pig to find it. I have made 2 attempts at getting an extra copy and both failed and both took considerable effort...

Are you going to tell me I didn't try hard enough? I'm a nit wit? Perhaps I just don't understand the intricacies of the power of online shopping and haggling...but do you know me? Or my situation...? Do you know everyone else's too? Do you know if I trust just any pirate with a peg leg online and would love to grant him my CC number...oh, right there's paypal...so, now I have to go get a paypal account for this BS...a month ago I just had to walk 3 blocks and open the door to a mall and hand over my debit card...I know I know, that is just too easy. In my business, things have to be difficult, things have to have uncertainty and things have to be dealt in the back alley of the internet...

GIVE.US.A.BREAK

Return to posts index

Reed Black
on Jul 15, 2011 at 11:11:45 pm

Agreed!!!! I've been following your post Chris for quite a bit since FCPX release and I haven't had one issue with what you've been saying. Not one single issue. It seems that people are upset because your NOT upset at the way this product was released (a constant theme in these boards). I like FCPX. Despite its short comings its got major, major potential. I believe so much so that once some of the features old or new are implemented it will quickly return to its former glory. The foundation of it is very well laid. And I doubt Apple would lay such a foundation and then abandon it. Anyway, just wanted to chime in and say I agree with your view on this whole thing Chris.

Return to posts index

Jamie Franklin
on Jul 16, 2011 at 1:12:17 am

[Reed Black] " It seems that people are upset because your NOT upset at the way this product was released"

I don't give a useless teat what chris thinks about the release. Chris is the one marginalizing the EOL here because we can get it on ebay..which he won't stop reminding people of, as if, a) gee we never thought of that, or b) because of this back alley ability to buy it, he can argue this over and over and over and over and over and over....which of course, has been addressed over and over and over...and he puts his blinders on

See the difference? No, because you have already suggested comprehending how others feel about this issue isn't what you guys want to argue about, you want to argue banality and loopholes always in favour of your dogmatic views on this mess...

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jul 15, 2011 at 10:16:56 pm

[Jamie Franklin] "Give us all a break..."

You've got to admit, the guy is tenacious.

So is my family's dachshund with a bone. Most of the time, we can at least pry the little dog loose. But sometimes, you just get fed up trying and walk away.

That's how it is with this Chris guy: if you think you'll change his opinions, you're in for a rude awakening. Just walk away.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Jamie Franklin
on Jul 15, 2011 at 10:40:10 pm

[Dave LaRonde] "You've got to admit, the guy is tenacious"

Dogmatic not tenacious...to me anyways.

But even I have a limit. I'd offer him 30 pieces of silver to come over to reason but I'd hate to dash his chances at getting first dibs on iFCPX for the ipad and reviewing it for his iGod Lion

Walking away...I've swung my hockey stick

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jul 16, 2011 at 3:28:14 pm

[Jamie Franklin] "Walking away...I've swung my hockey stick"

Smart move. This Chris guy is abso-flippin'-lutely oblivious to the concerns and needs of a small but significant portion of the FCP 7 market. He WILL NOT change his stripes in recognition of that fact.

Ironically, Apple invested a lot of its advertising and PR dollars on this small but significant portion of the market: how may times have you read about Hollywood movies or big-time TV shows cut on FCP? Apple can't say that any more.

The best thing one can do is to ignore this yahoo rather than confront him. Maybe he'll go away. I hope so.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

kim krause
on Jul 15, 2011 at 9:31:02 am

new avid interface looks alot like fcpx...who's copying who?

Return to posts index

Chris Conlee
on Jul 15, 2011 at 1:02:23 pm

Actually, it looks a lot like, um, Avid, with flashy new colors. Basically, it looks unchanged, from what I can see in the blurry images.

Chris

Return to posts index

Brian Langeman
on Jul 15, 2011 at 2:10:45 pm

"new avid interface looks alot like fcpx...who's copying who?"

Since when did FCPX have two viewers? Now that's just wishful thinking...

Return to posts index

Mark Bein
on Jul 15, 2011 at 10:44:47 am

Love the Simpsons type disclaimer:

Committed to the Professional*

*This ist not a commitment

Return to posts index

Dan Stewart
on Jul 15, 2011 at 6:44:28 pm

Magical

*may not be magical

Return to posts index

Eduardo Serrano
on Jul 15, 2011 at 6:49:04 pm

It's interesting that in several parts of the world, south america, for example, there's a difference between and "Editing" and a "Montagem". So the professional that usually works in the film business is called a "montador" and the person that works in everything else is an "editor". It's a bit snob, but that is what it means. It comes from the french school of filmmaking. I guess that the term editor comes from people that started working with tapes and all the professionals generated by that. Montage is more for theatrical release. So, one could say that fcpx is designed for editors, not montage professionals.

Is there any similar terms in English?

Return to posts index

Dan Stewart
on Jul 15, 2011 at 6:57:40 pm

In English we say:

1. work under pressure in teams with expensive equipment to earn food = professional

2. help Randy make his holiday videos = amateur

and now new definition:

Rely on Apple = amateur

Return to posts index

Marvin Holdman
on Jul 16, 2011 at 9:45:13 pm

I would only add this...

Our good friend Chris is in the business of renting gear to the hoards of new users who will be introduced to video through FCPX. Of course he's a cheerleader for it. I've seen it many times over the years. The whole "you don't need years of experience to do this work". Of course, they leave out one word from the end of that statement.... "well".

In any case, I am certain that the more talented among this new group will excel and probably turn into wonderful, skilled craftsmen. But the fact remains, that the vast majority will realize that doing this work well requires skill, patience and time and quickly move on. TV is much fun to dabble in. I love it when people do just that.

In the meantime, Chris will take their money, assure them the luddites are crazy and turn them loose. In the end, more stuff will get produced, and more quality stuff will be demanded. I can certainly see his motivation for support, his condescension is just a personality thing, I would guess.

Marvin Holdman
Production Manager
Tourist Network
8317 Front Beach Rd, Suite 23
Panama City Beach, Fl
phone 850-234-2773 ext. 128
cell 850-585-9667
skype username - vidmarv

Return to posts index

Greg Andonian
on Jul 18, 2011 at 8:08:08 am

[Kim krause]

"new avid interface looks alot like fcpx...who's copying who?"

So you think Avid was SO INCREDIBLY IMPRESSED with the FCPX interface that they slapped this together in JUST UNDER A MONTH so that they could follow in Apple's footsteps?

...And Besides, this is nothing like FCPX- there are two viewers, and it has real TRACKS! ;)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]