FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP X / MacPro Compatibility

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sean Thomas
on Jul 15, 2011 at 1:30:22 am

The biggest requirement that I've seen is OpenCL video cards.

The 2007 MacPro 8 core 3.0 Ghz has a ATI X1900 XT card on the "banned" list.

Has anyone tried running FCP X on a NON OpenCL card?

If it is impossible to run on a NON OCL card - what would be a good replacement
for the ATI X1900 XT. Will ANY PCIe OCL video card work?

Thx!

Return to posts index

Chris Kenny
Re: FCP X / MacPro Compatibility
on Jul 15, 2011 at 2:07:05 am

[Sean Thomas] "Has anyone tried running FCP X on a NON OpenCL card?"

FCP X does not appear to have a non-OpenCL rendering pipeline. I haven't seen any reports of success from people who've convinced it to install on machines lacking OpenCL-compatable cards. I've seen a few reports that it will launch, but no video is displayed.

[Sean Thomas] "If it is impossible to run on a NON OCL card - what would be a good replacement
for the ATI X1900 XT. Will ANY PCIe OCL video card work?"

It has to be a Mac card. The official answer to "I want an OS X compatable graphics card that's really good at GPGPU calculations" is the Quadro 4000. But there are also several shops (that mostly sell on eBay) that will flash other cards like the GTX 285 for Mac compatibility. The 285 actually has more cores than the Quadro 4000, performs better (at least in Resolve), and is substantially cheaper.

We bought one from here last year to use with Resolve, and it has been rock solid.

--
Digital Workflow/Colorist, Nice Dissolve.

You should follow me on Twitter here. Or read our blog.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Jul 15, 2011 at 2:35:45 am

[Chris Kenny] "The 285 actually has more cores than the Quadro 4000, performs better (at least in Resolve), and is substantially cheaper."

Minor clarification -- the GTX285 has fewer CUDA cores than the Quadro 4000 (the GTX285 has 240 CUDA cores and the Quadro 4000 has 256), but it has almost double the memory bandwidth (the GTX285 moves data at 159.0 GB/s, while the Quadro 4000 only pushes 89.6 GB/s). The GTX285 has less memory than the Quadro 4000 (GTX285 has 1 GB, Quadro 4000 has 2 GB). A couple other considerations: the GTX285 uses both power feeds from the Mac Pro motherboard, while the Quadro 4000 only uses one. The GTX285 is a double-height card, and the Quadro 4000 is single-height.

I agree with Chris on the conclusions -- the GTX285 is faster for Resolve, which benefits from the extra bandwidth for moving data on and off the card, and it's a much better value.

As an aside, maybe the Quadro 4000 would perform better on tasks with heavier computation needs or on larger data sets if they don't also have high bandwidth requirements, but overall, I find it a really disappointing offering from NVIDIA. It's not really an upgrade from either the GTX 285 or the Quadro FX 4800. I would have much rather seen the Quadro 6000 for Mac, which would have blown the doors off both legacy cards.

But back to your machine -- the 2007 Mac Pro will run an ATI 5770, with the caveat the only the DVI connection will work:
http://blog.macsales.com/6856-owc-reveals-which-radeon-video-cards-work-wit...

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Sean Thomas
on Jul 15, 2011 at 3:22:04 am

Oh - forgot to mention - must have 2 DVI ports.

Return to posts index

Keith Koby
on Jul 16, 2011 at 2:46:21 am

IIRC, we have a MacPro 1,1 and 2,1 using the above ATI 5770 replacement card working with the minidisplay port by loading a new 12 core Snow Leopard system image on those machines.

The thing I'll have to check is to see if we only used dvi or if we actually used the minidisplay on those computers. There are other situations where we used dvi to minidisplay converters on those machines without the replacement card.

An interesting aside, we have a couple dozen machines with those 1900s in them that have just come to the age where several of those graphics cards are giving up the ghost.

Keith Koby
Sr. Director Post-Production Engineering
iNDEMAND NETWORKS
Howard TV!/Movies On Demand/iNDEMAND Pay-Per-View/iNDEMAND 3D

Return to posts index

Sean Thomas
on Jul 15, 2011 at 3:20:53 am

Thanks for the info.

Here is Apple's approved card list:

The following ATI and NVIDIA graphics cards support OpenCL in Mac OS X v10.6 Snow Leopard:

NVIDIA
GeForce 320M
GeForce GT 330M
GeForce 9400M
GeForce 9600M GT
GeForce 8600M GT Note: OpenCL compatible, but does not meet system requirements for FCP X
GeForce GT 120
GeForce GT 130
GeForce GTX 285
GeForce 8800 GT
GeForce 8800 GS
Quadro FX 4800
Quadro FX5600
ATI
Radeon HD 4670
Radeon HD 4850
Radeon HD 4870
Radeon HD 5670
Radeon HD 5750
Radeon HD 5770
Radeon HD 5870

The 4000 is not on there and the FX4500 works with the 2007 8 core/3.0 but it too is not compatibal.

I'm trying to figure out which of these cards will work the MacPro 2007 1,2

Thx

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Jul 15, 2011 at 2:25:57 pm

The 2007 Mac Pro 8-core 3.0 GHz (MacPro2,1) uses a 32-bit EFI, so not all newer cards will work.

The Radeon 4870 should work with your Mac (it has dual 32-bit and 64-bit EFI firmware and is compatible all the way back to the MacPro1,1), as should the NVIDIA GeForce 8800GT.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Sean Thomas
on Jul 15, 2011 at 10:40:28 pm

Thanks for the info Chris.

1. Any thoughts as to why FCP X is runing on the MacPro with the X1900 XT card?
2. Do you think the best option for the 2008 8 core 3.0 1,2 computer is the GTX 285?
(the 4000 is not on the approved list)

Return to posts index

Sean Thomas
on Jul 15, 2011 at 3:59:50 am

I just talked with 2 editors with MacPro's and a recent download of FCP X.

Both of the guys were complaining about how "buggy / glitchy" FCP X was. After
a few questions I realized that both of their computers WERE NOT COMPATIBLE
with FCP X.

Both did NOT have OpenGL complian video cards.

So this got me thinking - are most of the complaints about FCP X because people can't read? (compatibility list)

I just realized that FCP X won't work on most Apple computers prior to 2009 because of the video
card options available back then.

Return to posts index

Stephen Galinsky
on Jul 15, 2011 at 4:30:22 am

"Rumor has it" that Lion enables the use of non-EFI compliant video cards, so you could theoretically grab a PC version of any Apple-supplied/supported card and have it work. Now, I can't personally speak for the veracity of these claims due to the fact that my PC 5870 has been reflashed and worked fine under Snow Leopard anyway.

Things to keep in mind regarding reflashed cards:

1. You may or may not get any video output before the window manager initializes (the "blue screen" stage of the boot sequence. If you frequently use single user mode or use the option-boot menu, this isn't a good solution for you.

2. You may have to use a patch to get OpenCL/Quartz/OpenGL working.

I've personally had good experiences and haven't run into problems, but others I know have had a hard time, etc etc.

--
Ed it.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]