FORUMS: list search recent posts

WOW - Apple promotes how to switch from imovie to FCP

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Errol Lazare
WOW - Apple promotes how to switch from imovie to FCP
on Jul 14, 2011 at 10:15:18 pm

Well it is now obvious that this whole FCPX update is intentional with regards to catering to imovie editors who want to add some zing into their home movies:

Check this link to see what I mean:
http://www.apple.com/finalcutpro/imovie-to-finalcutpro/

I know that a lot of people say that it is the first version and are hoping that it will improve in the future with more features...but apple has had already had so much experience putting all those features into FCP 7 that if features aren't here in FCPX i wouldn't hold my breath that they will ever be here.

With the way things are panning out, apple is moving into a completely consumer market while slowly killing off all professional applications and support. I guess the consumer market is where the money is for them...

Errol X. Lazare
EXL Films
http://www.exlfilms.com

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: WOW - Apple promotes how to switch from imovie to FCP
on Jul 14, 2011 at 10:33:30 pm

[Errol Lazare] "I guess the consumer market is where the money is for them..."

iPods, iPhones, iPads, and for high-end, discriminating buyers..... MacBook Pros!

Hey, what about software?
Oh yeah, you got Apps.

Hey, what about Mac Pros?
Who cares, you can't carry 'em around!

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Greg Burke
on Jul 14, 2011 at 11:07:11 pm

Wow Just Wow what a major slap to the Face, let the boycott of all NEW apple Hardware and Software begin...

I wear many hats.
http://www.gregburkepost.com

Return to posts index

Andrew Richards
on Jul 14, 2011 at 11:19:34 pm

Honestly, why is it a slap in the face? Is it a slap in the face to professional Photoshop users that Photoshop Elements files can be imported in to Photoshop CS5? Or likewise for Premiere CS5 importing projects from Premiere Elements?

Best,
Andy

Return to posts index

Greg Burke
on Jul 14, 2011 at 11:23:34 pm

I let it go and then apple twist the knife more lol

I wear many hats.
http://www.gregburkepost.com

Return to posts index

Chris Kenny
on Jul 14, 2011 at 11:27:15 pm

Final Cut Express was always promoted this way, and the FCP X product replaces both FCP and FCE. I'm not sure why anyone would be surprised by the existence of this page. (Which has been there since FCP X launched, by the way.)

--
Digital Workflow/Colorist, Nice Dissolve.

You should follow me on Twitter here. Or read our blog.

Return to posts index

Ben Starkey
on Jul 15, 2011 at 1:47:58 am

I for one am glad to see this web page up and running. It provides far more clarity and settles what little debate there was regarding who FCP X was designed for. I prefer clarity to agreement.

Ben Starkey
Colorist

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
on Jul 15, 2011 at 1:51:13 am

[Chris Kenny] "Final Cut Express was always promoted this way, and the FCP X product replaces both FCP and FCE. I'm not sure why anyone would be surprised by the existence of this page."

ah god. I was going to make a stockholm syndrome gag, but the autistic stuff back there from me was in bad taste - still tho chris, on some level, you're dancing in a circle singing loudly with your fingers in your ears.

Apple just kneecapped the lot of us.

flat out - they did. they ripped the head off a ten year industry standard tool, threw in a steroid imovie, stepped back and set to watching what happens to the professional editing petri dish, watching whether their new pro-am cash crop would grow.

this is them gone awful as a company, with newly versailles intentions. If you are not the unwashed hordes heaving into their stores you would want to be careful, because it is a savagely self minded individualistic apple - they are not bound by any obligation, any market, or anyone's livelihood.

I reckon it might well surprise Apple to discover the fine thread of perception they sit upon. Their products are great walled gardens with a fine house at the centre.

Bad king or good king - it's still a king - issuing grand, briefly worded, email dictats to his people, considering issues of obscenity or the state of future editing.

Enough of this for God's sake. the company is gone to egotistical rot.

http://www.ogallchoir.net
promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics

Return to posts index

Chris Kenny
on Jul 15, 2011 at 2:13:15 am

Your post contains no criticism specific enough to actually respond to.

--

Return to posts index

Nevin Styre
on Jul 15, 2011 at 2:34:03 am

I think it's funny they were too lazy to take new interface screenshots of FCPX for this, like the average user cutting together their kid's soccer game is going to jump into editing a professional car ad.

Also funny that they promote burning blu ray as a notable feature though no mac has ever shipped with a blu ray burner.

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
on Jul 15, 2011 at 3:28:20 am

ah sure have a go chris. lets play. there are broader issues in this.

I might look twice at the blood vessels of the timeline, how alive that thing actually is beneath the stupid chrome, I might ask deep questions of a company that produces a form of interaction so hairs breadth dead to your hand in editing narrative, how stupid a company is to have clips half heavy in your hand, making moronic animations on their own time, i might really look long and hard at that company and wonder if they knew what the hell they were doing at all - if there was actual competence at all. I find the physicality of the timeline annoys me, and i find that those who got it thrown to them as a task - was it the itunes team? I find that I bear them no ill well, but it is a joke of the first order all this,

chris - for kicks - take FCP7, take this thing X - do you actually like how the clip feels in your hand now? I don't.

do you think they have taken due care on that utterly critical issue?
Or have they covered it in core animation from head to toe and dunked it in disney goo? I rather do.

I do. not. respect. them for it.

I am sick to death of the arguments of professionalism. Professionalism means it is your bread, you live by your skill.
I barely do. It is not always schubert, hemingway, flann o'brien and roses, the point of professionalism in the creative arts is that you will go half a league to support anyone and anything - I've edited maritime video newsletters to the best of my ability -and they pay well. we do what we do. Professional relates to professionalism - I, personally, had amateur stupidity beaten out of me. therein lies my white hot anger with apple. their stupidity know no bounds, they think software is culture.

craft and skill is an expression of desire and application - we bloody well do not slap each others foreheads in joy when a software company tells us their new insight of our craft chris. Didn't we have to learn it?
Apple should bloody well offer tools with some some care and grace. they should not gaily rip up mental models of worth and time, for reasons we barely understand, with damn near no word to anyone and barely a word since.

Apple are a living disgrace to have carried on like this.

so lets have that chat.

Return to posts index

Chris Kenny
on Jul 15, 2011 at 4:17:28 am

[Aindreas Gallagher] "I might look twice at the blood vessels of the timeline, how alive that thing actually is beneath the stupid chrome, I might ask deep questions of a company that produces a form of interaction so hairs breadth dead to your hand in editing narrative, how stupid a company is to have clips half heavy in your hand, making moronic animations on their own time, i might really look long and hard at that company and wonder if they knew what the hell they were doing at all - if there was actual competence at all. I find the physicality of the timeline annoys me, and i find that those who got it thrown to them as a task - was it the itunes team? I find that I bear them no ill well, but it is a joke of the first order all this, "

People said extremely similar things about the GUI animations in OS X. Or GUIs in generally, for that matter.

[Aindreas Gallagher] "chris - for kicks - take FCP7, take this thing X - do you actually like how the clip feels in your hand now? I don't."

On my 2007 MacBook Pro? No. On the Mac Pro in our online suite at work? Yes. I find the interface to be extremely fluid on sufficiently quick hardware.

When you consider that Apple was designing for the next 10 years, a decision to ship a UI that was less than ideally responsive on some currently deployed hardware makes a certain amount of sense. Apple did the exact same thing with the initial release of OS X.

--

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
on Jul 15, 2011 at 4:20:13 am

[Chris Kenny] " a decision to ship a UI that was less than ideally responsive on some currently deployed hardware makes a certain amount of sense. Apple did the exact same thing with the initial release of OS X."

I'll let other people rip that one apart as they choose.

Return to posts index

Jeff Bernstein
on Jul 15, 2011 at 7:18:34 am

[Chris Kenny] " a decision to ship a UI that was less than ideally responsive on some currently deployed hardware makes a certain amount of sense. Apple did the exact same thing with the initial release of OS X."

Can you say "River in Egypt?"

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
on Jul 15, 2011 at 4:48:22 am

[Chris Kenny] "On my 2007 MacBook Pro? No."

what the h--l kind of software are you thinking of chris? are we all to dance a money jig to have any efficacy expressing our basic cut in a four year cycle?

its slicing video chris - it may not be halving a paragraph in MS word, but by god, its not unwrapping a UV mesh in max either.

Its an edit decision Chris. Thats all it is. It doesn't take 46 cores to note a decision point in a standing video asset.

Apple have grotesquely twisted necessary horsepower into every inch of this thing.

besides its other failings - it is not an honest endevour.

Return to posts index

Chris Kenny
on Jul 15, 2011 at 12:56:17 pm

[Aindreas Gallagher] "what the h--l kind of software are you thinking of chris? are we all to dance a money jig to have any efficacy expressing our basic cut in a four year cycle?

its slicing video chris - it may not be halving a paragraph in MS word, but by god, its not unwrapping a UV mesh in max either."

Its an edit decision Chris. Thats all it is. It doesn't take 46 cores to note a decision point in a standing video asset.

There was a time when GUI word processors were taxing on hardware, and people asked similar questions.

"The interface isn't that responsive on some hardware" may be a valid reason not to use the app today, but it's not really a sensible criticism of where Apple is headed or evidence of poor UI designed on Apple's part.

--

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
on Jul 15, 2011 at 1:51:01 pm

[Chris Kenny] " evidence of poor UI designed on Apple's part."

that's precisely what it is.

Return to posts index

Julian Bowman
on Jul 15, 2011 at 9:31:18 am

And yet you do. Funny that.

Return to posts index

kim krause
on Jul 15, 2011 at 9:42:53 am

if i may draw a comparison...when i first started to use logic i found it a bit daunting, especially the earlier versions....so i ended up using garage band cause it was so much easier and had the basic functions i needed....when logic gained the ability to import garage band projects i was hooked and now hardly ever go back to g.b. i see the same thing happening with fcpx...first off i have to say i never liked the new imovie (i still don't) but it seems to me that any program that can import imovie projects is going to open up a lot more doors for people who were intimidated by the original fcp and are now finding that imovie doesnt offer enough features. i learned fcp and still love it but i really think people should give fcpx a chance. i think it is great that we can do a rough cut of some sort in imovie...even on an ipad from footage shot on our iphones or ipad2. having the ability to import that project into a more "professional" program surely must be a good thing. i can just see all those field reporters sitting in the coffee shop with their ipads after interviewing someone on their iphone then heading back to the shop to do a final cut on fcpx.....it's just a new way to work and i believe one that is ahead of its time! now if only they would figure out a way to get that footage out of fcp and into color or resolve so i can continue to make a living!

Return to posts index

Errol Lazare
on Jul 15, 2011 at 1:37:32 pm

What they should have done was made an iMovie pro and then bring an update to finalcut pro which includes all pro features that we want: the ability to import old fcp projects is one thing that comes to mind right off the bat, but by not offering this and so many other things it seems like apple has decided to let go of their professional users. I hear people saying that it's a new way to work and then we need to adapt... But honestly that is just an excuse because why would we adapt to something that is going backwards

Errol X. Lazare
EXL Films
http://www.exlfilms.com

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jul 15, 2011 at 2:02:28 pm

[Errol Lazare] "...it seems like apple has decided to let go of their professional users."

It does indeed, and I heartily agree! For people who have to make money right now, using the hardware they have available right now, adopting FCP X would be a calamity.

Since FCP 7 works just as well now as it did a month ago, you're not under a lot of pressure to make an instant change. If you have clones of your system system drive with FCS 3 and the OS fully updated, it will continue to work just as well two years hence.

The major benefit: you have time to cool down following Apple's Mean-Spirited, Vile, Arrogant, Kick-Em-In-The-Nuts, Dirty Trick on people who use its software to make a living.

You also will have time to observe how things develop. You'll be able to judge rationally whether the current FCP X debacle has turned out as many early adopters hope, whether the new version fits your way of working, or whether you need to look at other editing applications to satisfy your work requirements.

And if you're really curious about FCP X, just get an iPad.

I expect Apple will release FCP X for iPad in far less time than Congress has spent trying to resolve the National Deficit Conundrum.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Jul 15, 2011 at 4:32:03 pm

You will definitely see FCPX for the iPad before you see Multicam in FCPX.

Return to posts index

Ray Wang
on Jul 15, 2011 at 4:58:30 pm

To an iMovie09 user + beginner FCP7 consumer user myself, FCP X obviously got its DNA from iMovie.

Events, projects/folders, timeline, metadata (keyword, favorites) were all there in iMovie and I believe iMovie11 is 64bit.

Only thing that I missed from iMovie was the "maps and places". If somehow Motion 5 have maps built in!

May be to assist iMovie migration, most/all of the iMovie generators / effects / text are present in FCP X where are FCP "classic" generators are not (bars for example).

---
Ray

Return to posts index

Dan Stewart
on Jul 15, 2011 at 7:34:16 pm

Chris Kenny do you work for apple /have dizzy spells/ not know what you are talking about?

I am about to start an hour for the BBC, tight as hell in 5 weeks. I stopped in the edit (in house, natch) to see if all was ok. I'm on FCP. Great. Thats what they've been spending their money on the last few years, that's what they've got. I asked them if they heard it was dead and got a response akin to a serious optimist regarding his burnt out house.

The EP reassured me they were in touch with Apple and it was all going to be fine, missing crucial features will be added, possibly by third party etc.
I joked about $500 for XML support. She looked a bit sick. A lot of Apple fans (I was one too once) recommended Apple over Avid to the bosses.

Apple, or their shills, are out there seriously f-*&ing with people. They clearly just hijacked the FCP PRO name to sell imovie+ to people who don't know better and are OBFUSCATING and DECEIVING PEOPLE. They have no intention of making good, just smiling and telling people it'll be fine while the gang climb out the rear window and plan to monetize some more of their predecessors hard earned rep.

When these edit producers realise they've been mugged Apple will be finished in the pro space round here until everyone alive right now dies.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jul 15, 2011 at 7:59:27 pm

[Dan Stewart] "I am about to start an hour for the BBC, tight as hell in 5 weeks."

To quote from the Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy, "Don't Panic!"

FCP 7 works just as well now as it did a month ago. You're not under any obligation to make an instant change. If you have clones of your system system drive with FCS 3 and the OS fully updated, it will continue to work just as well two years hence.

You may continue your edit in serenity, despite the despicable and arrogant manner in which Apple treated many existing customers, especially those in no possible position to immediately adopt FCP X... like you.

[Dan Stewart] "When these edit producers realise they've been mugged Apple will be finished in the pro space round here until everyone alive right now dies."

Well, that's the risk I assume they knew they would run when they played their Dirty Trick on FCP users. Or was Apple oblivious to the implication of its actions?

Nah, during the NAB Convention in April, they talked about how FCP dominated as the NLE of choice in the Broadcast and Post House arenas. It was an intentional, and my mind malicious, choice.

Carry on with your vitriol, sir, it's well-justified.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Chris Kenny
on Jul 15, 2011 at 9:37:52 pm

[Dan Stewart] "The EP reassured me they were in touch with Apple and it was all going to be fine, missing crucial features will be added, possibly by third party etc."

So, good. More confirmation of Apple's intentions, for the doubters.

[Dan Stewart] "Apple, or their shills, are out there seriously f-*&ing with people. They clearly just hijacked the FCP PRO name to sell imovie+ to people who don't know better and are OBFUSCATING and DECEIVING PEOPLE. They have no intention of making good, just smiling and telling people it'll be fine while the gang climb out the rear window and plan to monetize some more of their predecessors hard earned rep."

I'm sorry, are you claiming Apple is out there telling major networks that FCP X is intended to be a pro product, and that more pro features are on the way... but is lying about this? And they're doing this why? To sell maybe a few extra copies of a $300 app before people catch on? It sounds like that's what you're claiming.

That's bordering on clinical paranoia.

--

Return to posts index

Andrew Richards
on Jul 15, 2011 at 10:06:11 pm

[Ray Wang] "Events, projects/folders, timeline, metadata (keyword, favorites) were all there in iMovie and I believe iMovie11 is 64bit."

iMovie '11 is 32 bit, based on QuickTime (which has 32 bit dependency), and does not include any of the keywording or metadata features seen in FCPX. It does have Favorites though. iMovie '11 does support folders in the Project Library, but not in the Events Library.

Really, the only DNA the two share is in the basic Events/Projects dichotomy and in the general layout of the UI. Oh, and skimming.

Best,
Andy

Return to posts index

Ray Wang
on Jul 15, 2011 at 10:50:54 pm

I stand corrected on iMovie11 being 64bit.

I skipped iMovie11. I still have iMovie09 on my MBP, it definitely has keyword (the key button), filter by keyword, favorites, reject clip etc. E.g. Marking a keyword will show a blue line in the event window. The way to tag your media might not support high volume nor sophisticated, but again, concept was there.

If you migrate iMovie events to FCP X, the iMovie keyword will be migrated as a keyword collection in FCP X events.

FCP X has an *enhanced way* of managing (auto) tagging smart collection, keyword collection, folders in events, better search/filter. But hey it has been a 4 years since iMovie08 and FCP X has pro stamped on it.

Some comments here have been that it is the "new way" of organizing media but for ex-iMovie users like me, "metadata way" is not that revolutionary (FCP X is an upgraded version) :-) FCP X has better tools / functions to help you managing meta data.

Other things like precision editor, inspector also rings a bell. iMovie timeline is sort of "magnetic" as well (of course with a lot less complexity).

---
Ray

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]