Something to debate about ☺

BTS

- Oliver

Oliver Peters - oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Brad Hurley
Re: Shot on iPhone 11 Pro
on Jan 29, 2020 at 3:00:38 pm

I watched these when they were released and my impression then (and now) was that it's very impressive footage from a phone but it doesn't yet tempt me to give up my "real" cameras. It's hard to judge based on compressed youtube footage, and it's hard for me to articulate exactly what I feel is missing, but it probably boils down to a lack of subtlety and depth.

That said, the little bit of smartphone video shooting (on a Google Pixel, which arguably beats the iPhone for stills but is pretty far behind in the video department) I've done felt refreshing and liberating; I love shooting smartphone video even if I don't love looking at it.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Jan 29, 2020 at 3:54:54 pm

[Brad Hurley] "my impression then (and now) was that it's very impressive footage from a phone but it doesn't yet tempt me to give up my "real" cameras."

I completely agree. Not to mention the other items not highlighted in the BTS, like lighting and sounds. I'd bet that hardware totals more than the phone. But, those are also items that an experimental filmmaker can improvise. It's not that everyone "should" do this. Rather, it's an example of the possible.

Then when you think of news and documentaries, especially with filming in conflict zones, "the camera that you have with you" is more important that no camera at all. So unobtrusive filming when you can't have at least a video-enabled DSLR with you just gets so much better - especially when you round it out with a few pro apps and accessories.

- Oliver

Return to posts index

Brad Hurley
on Jan 29, 2020 at 4:03:52 pm

"Then when you think of news and documentaries, especially with filming in conflict zones, 'the camera that you have with you' is more important that no camera at all. "

Exactly. That's where smartphones fill a valuable niche, both for stills and video. I also think they're a great learning tool, too, especially with inexpensive apps like Filmic Pro and possibly a few add-on lenses such as telephoto, for people who want to learn to shoot and work with video.

There were quite a few shots in that film that looked fantastic, but many others that had a plastic-y feel, especially on people's faces which is exactly where you don't want that kind of look.

Return to posts index

Brett Sherman
on Jan 29, 2020 at 6:38:52 pm

One interesting feature of an update for Filmic Pro is the ability to record two of the cameras at the same time. For interviews this would give you two shots, close and wide for cutting. While I wouldn't consider iPhone 11 Pro for full-time use, I would consider it for a B or C-cam that's always in my pocket.

Phone cameras are always going to be a bit crippled with long depth-of-field, because the sensor size can only get so big. But there are many situations that doesn't matter.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Jan 29, 2020 at 6:44:15 pm

[Brett Sherman] "I would consider it for a B or C-cam that's always in my pocket."

For sure. The one caveat here is that the cameras look good in isolation. However, when you cut them against "pro" video cameras - especially with similar scenes, like interview angles - the differences become quite apparent. Compression, sharpening, colorimetry, DOF, etc. But certainly no worse than any GoPro or DJI camera.

- Oliver

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
on Jan 29, 2020 at 6:51:38 pm

Back in the day we would consider it as a throw away option thats cheap as a GoPro.
Today, not so much.
My 11Pro is stupid expensive :P

Return to posts index

Brett Sherman
on Jan 29, 2020 at 7:23:50 pm

True. But I need to replace my iPhone 6 anyways. It's awful long in the tooth. I figure I might as well spend a bit extra and get something that I could possibly use for video. Definitely I wouldn't use it as a crash cam.

Return to posts index

Robert Withers
on Jan 30, 2020 at 4:06:05 pm

The biggest challenges I have with using the iphone because it's "the camera that I have with me" is that it's so light and jiggly and you can't view what you are shooting if you want to be unobtrusive. Then there's the issue of sound recording. I keep a bracket and small tripod in my backpack but not in my pocket. Anybody have partial solutions to these? Good to get a black rather than a white phone for unobtrusiveness.
Cheers,
Robert

Robert Withers

Independent/personal/avant-garde cinema, New York City

Return to posts index

Brad Hurley
on Jan 30, 2020 at 4:40:45 pm

It sounds like you're using dual-system sound, which of course would be preferred for best quality, but there are some on-phone options to consider.

For example there's the Shure MV88 (which I personally find disappointing; it's designed for recording loud sounds like rock concerts and you really need to boost the gain for quieter sources). There's also the Sennheiser Ambeo binaural ear-worn mics. Much better sensitivity and sound quality.

For run-and-gun I've found ear-mounted binaural mics to be a pretty good solution; the stereo effect is amazing but you have to remember to always be looking where the camera is pointing. If you turn your head for a moment to look at something else, it'll be noticeable in the recorded audio. There are miniature dead-cat ear muffs you can use to reduce wind noise outdoors, which work well although they make you look funny (especially in summer).

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]