FORUMS: list search recent posts

Re: Resolve 16 vs FCPX

COW Forums : Creative Community Conversations (was FCPX Debates)

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Joe Marler
Re: Resolve 16 vs FCPX
on Dec 5, 2019 at 10:39:14 am

[Oliver Peters] "Weird. I'm generally found FCPX and Compressor to be much faster renderers. "

Same here, and I have the latest versions of Premiere, FCPX and Resolve Studio installed on the same iMac Pro. Quite recently Premiere on Mac has gotten slightly faster than FCPX for certain narrow export parameters, but in general it's still quite slow.

Premiere has historically been very slow at playback decoding and export decoding of 4k H264, esp. on Mac hardware. Part of this was due to not supporting QuickSync until fairly recently. Initially the support was for encoding not playback. Supposedly in the very latest version they use it for playback but it still feels slow on both my 2017 iMac and 10-core Vega 64 iMac Pro.

The iMac Pro doesn't have Quick Sync but Premiere manages to use either the T2 or AMD's VCE (Video Coding Engine) for 10-bit HEVC, since that is much faster than FCPX on an iMac Pro. This implies they should be able to use hardware acceleration for H.264 playback, but Premiere is very sluggish on 4k H.264.

So there is a lot more to performance than export/encode. Having just finished a job where I was simultaneously running FCPX 10.4.7, Premiere 14.0.0 and Resolve Studio 16.1.1.005, the overall responsiveness is FCPX is fastest with lowest lag, Resolve is a close 2nd, and Premiere is a distant 3rd.

Last month I used a high-speed camera to measure the viewer update rate of those NLEs when playing back UHD 4k/29.97 10-bit 4:2:2 H.264 all-intra material from a GH5 at 4x playback speed. This was on a 10-core Vega 64 iMac Pro running Mojave 10.14.6. FCPX viewer was set to best quality, and Premiere set to 1/4 resolution and Metal playback.

Premiere was especially sluggish at JKL command input when going from 4x fast forward to reverse. Viewer/Program Monitor update rate:

Resolve Studio 16.1.0.055: 28 frames/sec
FCPX 10.4.7: 20 frames/sec
FCPX 10.4.6: 14 frames/sec (but uneven)
Premiere 13.1.5: 2 frames/sec

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]