FORUMS: list search recent posts

Wow, I love this new FCP X focused story/video link.

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bill Davis
Wow, I love this new FCP X focused story/video link.
on Aug 29, 2019 at 10:39:08 pm

I enjoyed reading/watching this in many, many ways.

http://www.fcp.co/final-cut-pro/articles/2203-1-year-30-000-km-on-the-road-...

I’m not sure I’ll ever need to do this major an “on the road” documentary, myself, but the romance of being enabled to live the edit as it unfolds is pretty sweet.

Looking forward to reading more of these!

Creator of XinTwo - http://www.xintwo.com
The shortest path to FCP X mastery.

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
Re: Wow, I love this new FCP X focused story/video link.
on Aug 29, 2019 at 11:21:20 pm

I've worked with Carsten & Giesla on some of their natural history docos in the days when they had budgets for separate sound post. I know he thinks long and hard about his choices and I totally respect what he says.

Using his logic, I have made different choices of camera & post systems because we all have to be comfortable with our tools and within budgets. It's just great that we have options that are allowing us all to have the freedom to travel and work remotely. I've just had 3 weeks traveling 6,000 kilometres to the Simpson Desert to film a pilot of a TV series, Remote Kitchen. I had 5 days walking over 60 kms following camels and scientists up and down sand dunes. When you have to carry cameras most of the day it makes you think long and hard about ergonomics, weight and reliability.

My choices were Blackmagic cameras, the Ursa Mini 4.6k and the BMPC4K on a Moza gimbal. I didn't need to edit on location but the editor is switching from Pr to Resolve to streamline the edit process to hand back to me for grade & sound. BRAW allowed me to shoot 4k at a similar data rate to ProResHQ HD. I don't agree you can zoom 200% without losing resolution however. There might be the right number of pixels but your optical resolution will diminish. I watch everything on my 65" 4k OLED monitor and I'd like to dispel that idea. Yes you can punch in but 200% causes softening. I otherwise agree about shooting 4k for HD delivery.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Aug 29, 2019 at 11:32:30 pm

Sounds like a great show, Michael.

I will say that I’ve shot an URSA 4.6k on my last two projects - and easy to handle... well, that’s NOT how I would describe it.

Unless you really rig it out, I found it pretty terrible to operate other than on sticks.

It’s heavy, boxy, and not ergonomic at all, IMO. Sane as the DSLR form factors..

It’s weird the camera engineers outside of JVC and Sony with SOME models aren’t even trying to do better. Maybe they think it’s all going to the smart phones all too soon to make those longer term research investments. It’s weird.

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Aug 29, 2019 at 11:43:29 pm

[Bill Davis] "Unless you really rig it out, I found it pretty terrible to operate other than on sticks."

Did you have the OLED viewfinder? With the viewfinder on the shoulder is so much easier than any DSLR held in front with rear screen. I'm old school shoulder shooter and hate having to hold a camera DSLR style with glasses to try and see a screen in bright daylight. Again a classic example of the same gear being loved or not depending on how you prefer to use it.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Sep 5, 2019 at 8:34:48 pm

Part 2

http://www.fcp.co/final-cut-pro/articles/2206-1-year-30-000-km-on-the-road-...

- Oliver

Oliver Peters - oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Sep 7, 2019 at 7:02:02 pm

Sorry for the delay. Two field video shoots and a corporate event coverage photo gig in the last 10 days.

On the gig mentioned in my original post, I was using an Atomos Inferno w/7" screen to do the ProResRAW capture..
So the rig was a C-300 tethered to that via 3/6/12GHDI
I went with a top mount wooden camera plate rig since that was less weight than all the cages I looked at.

The Atomos has a very well designed sunshade system that lets you truly see your picture, even in very bright sunlight (which we have a lot of in California.) but it was still as heavy as a Betacam and far less ergonomic IMO.

So basically, until we get camera that record AND monitors ProRes RAW internally (hopefully with full Rec2020 HDR monitoring so you can see what you're actually shooting) the rigs are pretty unwieldy.

Even the new BlackMagic PocketCamera 6k is bigger than I expected in form-factor.

I suppose "Pocket" in this case must refers to 90's cargo shorts?

Anyway, shooting it was NOT a comfortable "run and gun" experience for me. Not if you want to be able to judge what you're shooting as you record it.

Just my initial impressions.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Sep 7, 2019 at 8:31:15 pm

"So basically, until we get camera that record AND monitors ProRes RAW internally (hopefully with full Rec2020 HDR monitoring so you can see what you're actually shooting) the rigs are pretty unwieldy."

I presume that will have to wait until the results of Apple's challenge to the RED patent. Of course, you can simply shoot log now and achieve the same results.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters - oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Joe Marler
on Sep 9, 2019 at 12:56:12 pm
Last Edited By Joe Marler on Sep 9, 2019 at 1:01:05 pm

[Bill Davis] "until we get camera that record AND monitors ProRes RAW internally (hopefully with full Rec2020 HDR monitoring so you can see what you're actually shooting) the rigs are pretty unwieldy. "

I've shot the Ursa Mini a lot and I love the menus and overall design. The color and image quality is beautiful. However can be difficult to use in the field. You can bolt on an EVF and a bunch of other stuff, but that's not it's strongest point. There's a reason why true run-and-gun pro ENG work still uses fixed-lens camcorders with a 2/3" sensor.

For interchangeable lens cameras there are various options. The Sony FS5/FS7 are good but they are old and may be replaced by the upcoming FX6/FX9.

Up until now there hasn't been a truly professional large sensor "DSLR-form factor" mirrorless video camera. It appears the Panasonic S1H will be the first, unless you consider the BMPCC6K.

The S1H will record ProRes RAW to an Atomos Ninja V. Admittedly that's an external recorder but it's (superficially) smaller and more portable than an Ursa. It has 14.5 stops dynamic range, displays shutter angle and video gain, and has several built-in video features missing from the Ursa such as 5.7 megapixel OLED EVF, vector scope, waveform, dual-native ISO, dual zebra levels, and master pedestal. It supports the Academy ACES color workflow and can use the exact same LUTS and IDT as the Varicam 35. It was obviously not designed by the consumer electronics division of a large conglomerate; in fact the head of Varicam 35 had a significant role.

The S1H does not have built-in ND and I doubt cameras of that form factor will ever have that because mechanically there's no place to put it. It does have 6-stop sensor stabilization.

OTOH if you put a cage, shotgun mic, shoulder mount, XLR adapter, external monitor or EVF on an S1H, what is the difference between that a similarly-configured Ursa? You still have a "Tinkertoy assembly project" each time you set it up and break it down.

The BMPCC6K has a Super35 sensor, a built-in 5" LCD and can record BRAW internally to SDXC cards. You can only currently edit that with Resolve but ProRes RAW can only be edited with FCPX. In theory you can grab it from the case and shoot BRAW using only internal power, internal storage and the built-in LCD. However in many cases it will probably be rigged up which puts it back in the same category as an S1H.

Return to posts index

Shawn Miller
on Sep 9, 2019 at 4:50:37 pm

[Joe Marler] "You can only currently edit that with Resolve but ProRes RAW can only be edited with FCPX."

You can edit Blackmagic Raw in Premiere Pro with the BRAW Studio plugin. I haven't tried it with 6k footage, but others have reported that it works.

https://aescripts.com/braw-studio/

Shawn

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Sep 9, 2019 at 10:28:48 pm

Thanks for that Shawn. Good to know.

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Sep 9, 2019 at 10:43:32 pm

[Joe Marler] "However can be difficult to use in the field"

I have the shoulder rig and viewfinder. I find it so much easier to do run & gun that with any DSLR form factor cameras including the BMPocket4k. I often don't even bother with the shoulder mount. Off the tripod and straight onto the shoulder with the viewfinder makes for a quick run & gun. I use the 24- 105 IS lens and it is perfect for this. It's also par focal. I don't have the Pro version so it is slightly awkward to power the camera on but with two big 160wh Vlocks, it runs all day.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]