FORUMS: list search recent posts

My LIFE in FCP

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brian Mulligan
My LIFE in FCP
on Jul 13, 2011 at 5:40:08 pm

Will NOT my life.. but someones and a nice video.

Brian Mulligan
Senior Editor - Autodesk Smoke
WTHR-TV Indianapolis,IN, USA
Twitter: @bkmeditor

Return to posts index

Adam McCune
Re: My LIFE in FCP
on Jul 13, 2011 at 6:44:46 pm

That's pretty funny....and well done, I might add. For a bunch of creative types, I've seen a few sub-par "I hate FCPX" type videos so far, so it's refreshing to see.

Writer/Radio host/Community Media Advocate

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
on Jul 13, 2011 at 7:00:19 pm

There's also a great post by Rob Tinworth and an interesting thread that goes with the video. It's in the old FCP forum.

http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/8/1137965

Here's a quote:

"So I should be all over FCP-X and a new editing revolution right? Nope. I edit with pictures, not keywords. Even if I could get over the issues with collaboration/one big project/one big library/no video output; even if they fixed all those in a bells and whistles FCP-XI, I simply don't agree that an edit should be driven by words.

It's the very 'inefficiency' of FCP7 that immerses me in a project. It's endlessly scrubbing backwards and forwards through the rushes that means that when I'm recutting a scene, I know there's that shot of that thing, which I never thought I'd use, which an assistant editor wouldn't have flagged, which I wouldn't even have looked at, but which turns out to be just the shot I need for this sequence.

At a certain point in any edit, I get the feeling that I have the film in my head, like there's an index in my brain. I think that's much more powerful than metadata. Editing is about pictures."

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions

Return to posts index

Greg Burke
on Jul 13, 2011 at 7:26:47 pm

Wow Its funny I did the exact same thing

I wear many hats.
http://www.gregburkepost.com

Return to posts index

J Hussar
on Jul 13, 2011 at 8:21:53 pm

Exactly - I work with images - NOT words. This job isn't word processing - or filemaker. I just need a clean way to lay out my images and control them. That's it.

This is the curse of metadata derangement. Metadata is a paradigm for programmers and OCD types. It is not new, it is as old as relational databases. It is editing for programmers. Dare I say it, metadata is a scam.

This "new paradigm" nonsense has been around for twenty years - again, I invoke Kai Krause and his horrid "new paradigms" of interface design - not only did they NOT catch on, most companies that adopted those "advanced" interfaces went out of business.

Return to posts index

Steven Gonzales
on Jul 13, 2011 at 8:53:27 pm

I had some real great editing mentors, and they reminded me of the value of the Steenbeck and editing on film: to find something, you had to push a lot of frames past your eyes to get there. The more you were reminded of different takes, the more ideas you had in the back of your mind to fix problems.

That's the paradox: creativity is inherently inefficient.

Return to posts index

Rocco Forte
on Jul 13, 2011 at 9:35:18 pm

I bet you accidentally clicked on the video image at least once thinking it was your timeline! "why won't the playhead move?! Oh right..."

Return to posts index

Rich Rubasch
on Jul 13, 2011 at 10:37:25 pm

This is a great post for the Art of the Edit forum too.

Hmmmm...Media Composer or Premier?

Rich Rubasch
Tilt Media Inc.
Video Production, Post, Studio Sound Stage
Founder/President/Editor/Designer/Animator
http://www.tiltmedia.com

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Jul 13, 2011 at 11:51:58 pm

I also edit with pictures, I'm not disciplined enough to log stuff well, I agree you need to push stuff past your eyes as much as possible to constantly evaluate your editing options.

However I would argue that you are getting hung up on the metadata functions, I'm not using them at all but despite it's very many shortcomings, FCPX and it's skimmer is actually enabling me to push more footage past my eyes even quicker.

Steve Connor
Adrenalin Television

Have you tried "Search Posts"? Enlightenment may be there.

Return to posts index

Jacob Kerns
on Jul 14, 2011 at 2:29:51 am

I could see FCPX being faster at organizing footage with metadata but I also don't like the idea. I bought FCPX and gave it a chance when it came down to using it I was still waiting on the background rendering to complete for the footage to be usable. I looked at MC5 but not being 64bit yet and since I already had Premiere with the suite I was able import FCP7 projects and edit without transcoding video in real time.

Plus switching from the events bin thingy to the timeline where it was scrubbing things I didn't want it to was annoying. It needs 2 viewers!

I don't see Apple adding things back in but relying on 3rd parties to fill in the gaps which is fine for somethings/people but I see problems down the road when something goes wrong with a plugin or FCPX then it becomes a blaming game between Apple and the third party why its crashing,breaking or just isn't working. Example: just like Windows and 3 party hardware drivers To be fare I've switched to Win7 and its working great.

NIADA
Technical Director

Return to posts index

Bobby Mosca
on Jul 14, 2011 at 2:52:38 am

I must say, this video highlights a problem I have with a large portion of what I have seen in defense of X: only a minority of the market is in broadcast and film, therefore Apple is wise to focus on the larger segment of the market, hence the tapeless workflow and lack of monitor support.

Something isn't right here. On the old Apple web pages for FC, the testimonials and examples were from the creators of feature films and major television productions. There are none for FCX right now of course because it's brand new, but where will they go for those impact testimonials? Web content creators? Corporate video editors? Online training courses?

So let's say for arguments sake that 10% of FCP users are in broadcast and film. My point is that 10% of Apple's customers may account for 90% of the content made in FCP that is actually seen. So when that 10% of users migrate to other systems, the remaining 90% will begin to follow them. Maybe I'm wrong, but I think Apple's reputation in professional creative industries helped save it years ago, and may not be as important today, but isn't meaningless. Just picture it...

"So I hear you want to start doing videos or something?"

"Yeah, Chris told me you do that. What do you do?"

"I'll do anything really, weddings, bah mitzvahs, commercials, you name it... but you know that local cooking show on channel 10 everything Thursday night? With the Italian guy? That's one of my shows."

"Yeah, I've seen it. It looks good! What do you use?"

"Final Cut."

"Cool."

OR

"... What do you do?"

"Corporate presentations and training videos, web content of all kinds..."

"Youtube? Anything viral I might have seen?"

"No."

"Oh."

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on Jul 14, 2011 at 5:03:01 am

Bobby, I totally agree. That's the thing that blows me away. You'd think that the PR they get from Features and Broadcast television would somehow be worth placating professional editors. It's not like it would cost that much. Seems sort of a near-sighted move. I don't get it.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]