https://digitalfilms.wordpress.com/2019/06/18/the-2019-mac-pro-truck/

- Oliver

Oliver Peters - oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
Re: More Mac Pro
on Jun 21, 2019 at 2:29:43 am

Love your work, Oliver ☺

Also, I too love the simplicity of the tube.
If I move forward, it'll be a DIT unit for a few years.
I love the fact you can just grab it and swing it around with one arm from one site to another ;)

Return to posts index

Ronny Courtens
on Jun 21, 2019 at 8:14:40 am

Excellent article, Oliver. As always.

- Ronny

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Jun 21, 2019 at 12:25:19 pm

Thanks guys.

Eric - as far as the trash can - I run one at work and generally like it. But because it's full suite, I have a ton of stuff hanging off the back, which tends to be a mess. OTOH, my son runs one as a Logic Pro X station and his install is very clean and simple. Just a display, storage, and an Apogee audio i/o. So it just depends on your situation. The only technical issues I have are occasional render glitches with Adobe apps and Resolve. That's because of some flaw (probably thermal) with the dual D-series GPU chips. I run a small utility that cranks up the Mac's fan speed to max all the time. But render times are faster on our iMac Pros.

Ronny - I would imagine the two 10GigE ports should be a major plus with your shared storage clients. Sure wish I had that here instead of the SanDisc and Sonnet boxes.

- Oliver

Return to posts index

Erik Lindahl
on Jun 24, 2019 at 8:14:32 pm

Good article.

One performance note is the fact that the MacPro’s GPU bumps are done both with 2 and 4 GPU’s if I understand Apples site correctly.

Cinema 4D
- Mac Pro Dual Radeon Pro Vega II Duo

FCPX
- Mac Pro Dual Radeon Pro Vega II

Not 100% this is the case but FCPX is 3X faster where Cinema 4D is 5X faster. The other issue here is 5X faster than the iMac vs 3X faster than the D700 MP. I’d imagine performance gains will very, a lot, on the new system. Apps that can use multiple GPU’s such as DaVinci Resolve will likely fly. The no fuss with massive amounts of VRAM in conjuncture of the Infinity Fabric could be an end to VRAM issues.

Let’s just hope the hardware is solid and no “ooops, the GPU’s burn up after 6 months”. I also lack the internal expansion of drives given a PCIe-card could hold a couple off SATA or NVME SSDs.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Jun 24, 2019 at 8:32:00 pm

[Erik Lindahl] "FCPX
- Mac Pro Dual Radeon Pro Vega II"

I interpret this as 4 GPUs, however, Apple's terminology is a bit inconsistent, so I certainly could be wrong. Sometimes they refer to dual and other places it's duo. In these examples, it doesn't explicitly say 1, 2 or 4 GPUs.

Here's the fine print (footnote #6) on their comparison page:

"Testing conducted by Apple in May 2019 using preproduction 2.5GHz 28-core Intel Xeon W-based Mac Pro systems with 384GB of RAM and dual AMD Radeon Pro Vega II graphics with Infinity Fabric Link and 32GB of HBM2 each; and shipping 2.3GHz 18-core Intel Xeon W-based 27-inch iMac Pro systems with 256GB of RAM and Radeon Pro Vega 64X graphics with 16GB of HBM2, as well as shipping 2.7GHz 12-core Intel Xeon E5-based Mac Pro systems with 64GB of RAM and dual AMD FirePro D700 graphics with 6GB of VRAM each. Mac Pro systems tested with an attached 5K display. Prerelease Final Cut Pro X tested using a complex 90-second project with a variety of media up to 8K resolution. Performance tests are conducted using specific computer systems and reflect the approximate performance of Mac Pro and iMac Pro"

In any case, I really, really doubt that for equal GPU dollars, Maxon Cinema 4D on this machine will outperform a PC with loaded Nvidia cards.

- Oliver

Return to posts index

Erik Lindahl
on Jun 24, 2019 at 9:40:21 pm

Yeah, it’s a bit unclear how they’ve tested things exactly and scale of performance with multi GPU will vary a lot. But I fully agree nVidia should be an option. An a Mini MacPro is very much lacking.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Jun 24, 2019 at 9:48:56 pm

[Erik Lindahl] "But I fully agree nVidia should be an option. An a Mini MacPro is very much lacking."

The wild card for me is that Apple has spent years trying to shift the industry over to machines where everything is external. People have spent money making that shift. Now they are trying to move the same customers back. Hmm....

- Oliver

Return to posts index

Erik Lindahl
on Jun 24, 2019 at 10:19:11 pm

I think there is a place for both and with the MacPro you get the best of both worlds.

If you’ve gone 2013 MacPro > 2019 MacPro you might just change “everything” given TB2 equipment can still be used. If you’re coming from an iMac Pro all TB3 equipment can be used.

Also, embracing eGPU is terrific for MacMini / Laptop systems. I guess some one will do a franken MacPro 2019 with 4x dGPU and how ever many TB3 busses you can saturate given Id imagine hefty diminishing returns there.

Embracing TB3 for storage and most other I/O is over all great. Again embracing PCIe for the most demanding expansion shows Apple has people internally whom haven’t completely lost it just yet.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Jun 24, 2019 at 10:24:04 pm

[Erik Lindahl] "Again embracing PCIe for the most demanding expansion shows Apple has people internally whom haven’t completely lost it just yet."

LOL.

- Oliver

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
on Jun 25, 2019 at 5:40:19 pm

[Erik Lindahl] "If you’ve gone 2013 MacPro > 2019 MacPro you might just change “everything” given TB2 equipment can still be used. If you’re coming from an iMac Pro all TB3 equipment can be used.
"

Curious to see if any legacy PCI works.
I have the CUBIX loaded with ROCKETS, SAS and Quadro cards.
Of course, I'm also dreaming that all this is still supported :)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]