FORUMS: list search recent posts

Using the Mac Pro 2013 as an external GPU?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andre van Berlo
Using the Mac Pro 2013 as an external GPU?
on Jun 16, 2019 at 11:28:47 am
Last Edited By Andre van Berlo on Jun 16, 2019 at 11:54:28 am

I'm currently contemplating my next Mac purchase and while looking for setting up a network I came across this:

"If your use-case is in need of a lot of processing power, you can take advantage of CPU and GPU cycles from multiple Macs (mini or otherwise) by using Apple's Compressor."

So now I wonder, could I connect my Mac Pro 2013 to a new machine and will that new machine be able to utilize the D700's and CPU in my nMP? I always thought that network rendering was using the CPU and not GPU of the connected Mac's.

And would FCPX be able to utilize the GPU's in my nMP as well if the machine is connected via TB2 or ethernet?

Any input is much appreciated,

André

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Using the Mac Pro 2013 as an external GPU?
on Jun 17, 2019 at 6:28:34 pm

[Andre van Berlo] "So now I wonder, could I connect my Mac Pro 2013 to a new machine and will that new machine be able to utilize the D700's and CPU in my nMP?"

Only if you connect via Ethernet, and network the computers together. And ONLY Compressor would be able to take advantage of this.

[Andre van Berlo] "And would FCPX be able to utilize the GPU's in my nMP as well if the machine is connected via TB2 or ethernet?"

Nope.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Jun 17, 2019 at 10:24:39 pm

so you mean that my investment in my 2013 6,1 Mac Pro with D700 cards is now going to be useless -

reply - YES

reply - BOO HOO HOO !

welcome to the video business Andre.

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Return to posts index

Andre van Berlo
on Jun 18, 2019 at 10:38:29 am

[Shane Ross] "[Andre van Berlo] "And would FCPX be able to utilize the GPU's in my nMP as well if the machine is connected via TB2 or ethernet?"

Nope."

I was afraid of this, thanks for clearing it up for me!

[Bob Zelin] "so you mean that my investment in my 2013 6,1 Mac Pro with D700 cards is now going to be useless -

reply - YES

reply - BOO HOO HOO !

welcome to the video business Andre.
"

Haha, it is annoying to say the least! I also think that if Compressor can use the D700's why not FCPX? Too bad I can't take them out of the Mac Pro and into a chassis so I could potentially still use them with another machine.

It is amazing how in such a short time the Mac Pro is even outperformed by the Mac mini (single core and multi core). At the moment I'm doing ok for editing but wondering if I should sell the trashcan now or maybe just keep it under the desk for rendering.

The New Cheese Grater is too expensive, I wouldn't mind if they'd release a simpler version with 4 pcie slots etc. But I'm not holding my breath.

André

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
on Jun 18, 2019 at 2:14:06 pm

[Andre van Berlo] "Haha, it is annoying to say the least!"

I still have a slew of 2003/2006/2009 Mac Pros working here.
I am sure the D700/D500 piled up here will do the same.
Honestly, it's part of this life.
They didn't explode into flames so they will still be used :)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]