FORUMS: list search recent posts

How much money is FInal Cut Pro X really going to cost?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alexander Higgins
How much money is FInal Cut Pro X really going to cost?
on Apr 25, 2011 at 3:11:45 pm

Hey so it looks like FCP studio is dead and only Final Cut Pro X will live on. Heres the low down for me...

DVD Studio Pro -- Replace By Encore DVD. It seems very very buggy especially for Blu-Ray.
Cost $1,899.00

Compressor -- Might be dead? wont know until june. Replacement SQUEEZE. SQUEEZE is amazing and destroys Compressor in every way except for clustering.
Cost $899.00

Color -- Might be dead? wont know until june. But most likely. Replacement Davinci Resolve..
Cost $999.00

Shake -- Was dead a long time ago, but I like to gripe about it... Replaced by NUKE.
Cost $4,500.00

So Final Cut Pro X is going to be..... (Also not including the price of Avid MC 5.5 if Final Cut Pro X sucks.)

Total Cost $8,297.00

Not sure where everyone is getting $399 from??

Return to posts index

John Pale
Re: How much money is FInal Cut Pro X really going to cost?
on Apr 25, 2011 at 3:20:50 pm

Maybe you should take that money and buy some pizza ovens instead. No upgrades to worry about in that line of work. And very little doom and gloom from conjecture based on total speculation.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Apr 25, 2011 at 3:22:12 pm

[Alexander Higgins] "Hey so it looks like FCP studio is dead and only Final Cut Pro X will live on."

I'm not sure how it looks like that. Apple said to those who spoke to them after the Supermeet that there's more to come. We don't know if there will be separate apps or complete integration. Ubillos showed some integration of some features of SoundTrack Pro, Motion, Color but certainly not enough for one to assume the whole suite is integrated, yet. We just don't know so there's no reason yet to assume one way or the other.

Return to posts index

Paul Jay
on Apr 25, 2011 at 4:31:25 pm

Bla bla bla. Get another job.

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Apr 25, 2011 at 4:51:53 pm

[Craig Seeman] "I'm not sure how it looks like that. Apple said to those who spoke to them after the Supermeet that there's more to come. We don't know if there will be separate apps or complete integration. Ubillos showed some integration of some features of SoundTrack Pro, Motion, Color but certainly not enough for one to assume the whole suite is integrated, yet. We just don't know so there's no reason yet to assume one way or the other."
FCX should be able to work, as least, as usual with the present applications in the suit.
FCX shouldn't have any problem on uising the present methods.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Apr 25, 2011 at 3:25:55 pm

Congratulations! You've won the prize for math. Here's your prize...

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles
http://www.drwfilms.com

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

A forum host of Creative COW's Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums. Formerly host of the Apple Final Cut Basics, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Apr 25, 2011 at 3:33:11 pm

Ahh, the Creative COW pie!
Don't forget to add shipping and handling. Contact the manufacturer for delivery.

Return to posts index

Mark Raudonis
on Apr 25, 2011 at 3:34:11 pm

David,

You win the prize for BEST RESPONSE!

But... how do you know if it's Cow S#*T or Bull S#*t ? (I'm just asking...)

mark

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Apr 25, 2011 at 3:55:06 pm

[Mark Raudonis] "But... how do you know if it's Cow S#*T or Bull S#*t ? (I'm just asking...)"

Could be a horse jumped the fence?

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
Los Angeles

A forum host of Creative COW's Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums. Formerly host of the Apple Final Cut Basics, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

Tom Wolsky
on Apr 25, 2011 at 3:32:50 pm

"FCP studio is dead"

Says who? Studio may be dead as a bundle, which I don't think is any bad thing. What makes you think the other apps will not be available through the App Store as they're upgraded? That would be the logical thing to do, and the Apple execs at the sneak peek said just about that. And I guarantee the prices will not be a fraction of what you're quoting.

All the best,

Tom

Class on Demand DVDs "Complete Training for FCP7," "Basic Training for FCS" and "Final Cut Express Made Easy"
Author: "Final Cut Pro 5 Editing Essentials" and "Final Cut Express 4 Editing Workshop"

Return to posts index

Alan Okey
on Apr 25, 2011 at 3:33:49 pm

Return to posts index

Christopher Delaine
on Apr 25, 2011 at 3:33:50 pm

I don't think Apple would be stupid enough to cede The mid-range DVD authoring and Transcoding market to Adobe. Both Encore DVD and Adobe Media encoder are decent tools but aren’t as mature as their apple counterparts. However when combined with Premier Pro, after Effects and Photoshop Adobe Productions Premium makes for a compelling package. You will absolutely see the return of color as an independent market of low to mid-market users has grown to support it as well as large industry centered on third party hardware. I don't think Apple would be foolish enough to risk alienating its Professional user base just so Joe blow can edit YouTube movies in 8bit prores on his new IMac.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Apr 25, 2011 at 3:42:58 pm

[Christopher Delaine] "I don't think Apple would be stupid enough to cede The mid-range DVD authoring and Transcoding market to Adobe."

I agree. As posted in the thread When Apple Discontinues, they tend to leave EOL software available for some time. iDVD and iWeb are still part of iLife boxed even if not in the App Store. Shake was available for a long time after EOL was announced. I suspect DVDSP will be available for some time and probably at a reduced price. I do think it's reasonable to assume development has stopped but that doesn't mean it won't be available.

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Apr 25, 2011 at 3:46:16 pm

[Alexander]

Not sure where everyone is getting $399 from??

$299

http://www.movingwithmotion.com/final-cut-pro-x/

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Check out my Motion Training DVD

Check out my Motion Tutorials

Return to posts index

Alejandro Arriaga
on Apr 25, 2011 at 4:44:01 pm

I'm so tired of stupid speculations... like someone said, get another job.

Never love a filmmaker...

Return to posts index

Alexander Higgins
on Apr 25, 2011 at 4:52:40 pm

Can I be your butler?

Return to posts index

Alexander Higgins
on Apr 25, 2011 at 4:52:21 pm

I know you guys think I'm trolling, but I'm not, this is an honest observation, we have 5 FCP suites, 1 MC 5 and Every piece of Kona Hardware you can think of, ProLCD's Plasmas, etc.. I am making a calculated review of this product and its impact on industry people. And every gets so defensive like Apple is their only child or something.

So how about this, I will eat that Cow Poop if Final Cut Studio is still alive come June.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Apr 25, 2011 at 5:04:58 pm

Alexander, you made a wild-@ssed guess without any hard evidence to back it up. That's why they are all riding you so hard. If you want to play fortune teller, fair enough, but call it what it is, guessing.

...or you can just hold your water until June with the rest of us.

Return to posts index

Sohrab Sandhu
on Apr 25, 2011 at 5:20:57 pm

[Mark Suszko] "Alexander, you made a wild-@ssed guess without any hard evidence to back it up. That's why they are all riding you so hard."

What is this, an apple fanboys club? If you ain't going gaga for FCP X, you are doomed?

2.66 GHz 8-core, ATI Radeon HD 4870,
FCS 3, AJA Kona Lhi

"The creative person wants to be a know-it-all. He wants to know about all kinds of things: ancient history, nineteenth-century mathematics, current manufacturing techniques, flower arranging, and hog futures. Because he never knows when these ideas might come together to form a new idea. It may happen six minutes later or six months, or six years down the road. But he has faith that it will happen." -- Carl Ally

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Apr 25, 2011 at 5:46:20 pm

[Sohrab Sandhu] "If you ain't going gaga for FCP X, you are doomed?"

Making uninformed assumptions has nothing to do with being a fan. Apple hasn't said anything about the other apps in the studio.

Return to posts index

Sohrab Sandhu
on Apr 25, 2011 at 6:10:13 pm

[Craig Seeman] "Making uninformed assumptions has nothing to do with being a fan. Apple hasn't said anything about the other apps in the studio."

Who says i am supporting OP's conclusions. Plz read my post again!

FCS 3, AJA Kona Lhi

"The creative person wants to be a know-it-all. He wants to know about all kinds of things: ancient history, nineteenth-century mathematics, current manufacturing techniques, flower arranging, and hog futures. Because he never knows when these ideas might come together to form a new idea. It may happen six minutes later or six months, or six years down the road. But he has faith that it will happen." -- Carl Ally

Return to posts index

Tim Franklin
on Jun 22, 2011 at 2:24:33 am

Actually I just got off the phone with the VP of marketing and yes, what you see is what you get, if you dont see it you wont, get it,

Motion and Compressor, are the only products that are going to remain in production, the rest are dead and gone, EOL, period, no hope for recovery, funeral will be held in the morning but not many people are expected to attend, as common sense died just an our ago people are still in shock more so if you were dumb enough to buy this software two months ago like I was.

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Apr 25, 2011 at 5:48:36 pm

[Sohrab Sandhu] "If you ain't going gaga for FCP X, you are doomed?"

No, but if you deal in idle speculation and fiction you can and should expect to be called on it. This is after all the FCPX Forum, not the X-Files Forum.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
Los Angeles

Return to posts index

Sohrab Sandhu
on Apr 25, 2011 at 6:05:02 pm

[David Roth Weiss] "This is after all the FCPX Forum, not the X-Files Forum."

I dont agree with OP's conclusions but i wanted to ask you this.

Is the forum being moderated now?

FCS 3, AJA Kona Lhi

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Apr 25, 2011 at 10:13:51 pm

Most view "fanboy" as a derogatory term which you used.
I haven't seen make any substantial comment on the OP and in the above post you asked nothing beyond whether the forum is moderated.

There are people here who think there's a difference between the unknown and wild assumptions not based in any fact.

If you have a point to make, please do.

Return to posts index

Sohrab Sandhu
on Apr 25, 2011 at 10:36:38 pm

Craig

At the onset let me say that I completely disagree with OP's post.

Since there is not much substantial information available at this point of time about FCP X, all we are going to see is speculation.

Some people want to take cue from the sneak peek and if it does not fit in their scheme of things they would want to move on. Some would like to wait & watch. Some others have more faith in apple and are putting their money on FCP X. What is right for an individual, would be decided by the individual himself.

I don't understand the urgent need to put a 'gag order' on all the negative posts about this piece of software. If at all it shows anything, it shows the nervousness among FCP's strong editor base.

If ranting about FCP X is mere speculation then even defending it is also the same, at this point of time!

So lets just take it easy because we all are in the same boat here!

FCS 3, AJA Kona Lhi

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Apr 25, 2011 at 10:57:52 pm

I do think your above post lays it out well but . . .

[Sohrab Sandhu] "I don't understand the urgent need to put a 'gag order' on all the negative posts about this piece of software."

Some negative posts are based on no information others are based on what was tangibly shown. I think there's a difference.

Some people have said they have doubts about Magnetic timeline. We saw that function so that's known. Some would like to turn it off.
Some people don't like that all this editing shows was without a traditional "Viewer" window that was open simultaneous to the "Canvas." Some would like the enable a Viewer.
Some have concerns about auto color balancing on ingest.
There are real concerns because we've at least seen these features, didn't like what was shown and would like to alter or disable them.

On the other hand the OP said it looks like Studio is dead. There was nothing to indicate that. That's the wild speculation part.

Not liking interface features we were shown is one thing. Saying something isn't being supported when there's been no mention one way or the other is something else.

Basically my own preference would be that people talked about what they did or didn't like about what was shown. We simply can't know about the rest. We can make assumptions about the company based on history which is why I started the "discontinues" thread. That's based on observable history on how Apple handles EOL software products like Shake or the disappearance of LIveType (which was integrated into Motion). At least I'm basing speculation based on history.

I think most people would like to discuss what they saw, not what wasn't mentioned.
I think most people are trying to asses Apple ProApps future based on past patterns and objectives.
I think a smaller number of people are assuming negative when there is no information given and that does bother those of us who want to discuss the concrete (as little of it that was shown).

Return to posts index

Tom Wolsky
on Apr 25, 2011 at 11:03:27 pm

Anybody notice there was no Tools menu in the interface? I think there are going to be a lot of things missing in this first version of the application. Maybe it just wasn't in the early version. The demoed version was reportedly the same version shown in February.

All the best,

Tom

Class on Demand DVDs "Complete Training for FCP7," "Basic Training for FCS" and "Final Cut Express Made Easy"
Author: "Final Cut Pro 5 Editing Essentials" and "Final Cut Express 4 Editing Workshop"

Return to posts index

Chris Kenny
on Apr 26, 2011 at 3:24:26 am

[Tom Wolsky] "Anybody notice there was no Tools menu in the interface? I think there are going to be a lot of things missing in this first version of the application. Maybe it just wasn't in the early version. The demoed version was reportedly the same version shown in February."

Mac user interface has gotten a fair bit less menu-centric in the days since the original Final Cut Pro interface was designed, so I wouldn't read too much into sparse menu bar items.

And the Tools menu in particular is an odd grab bag of three different largely unrelated sorts of commands. I can trivially think of more sensible places for almost every function in there. The commands that display things like the video scopes and the audio mixer should be in the Window menu with the commands that show/hide the viewer, timeline, etc. Keyboard layout and so forth should be in Preferences. And all the clip analysis/conversion items would be much more at home in a 'Clip' menu, which FCP 7 hasn't got, but:

FCP X does.

Apple got rid of another such 'miscellaneous' menu in the transition from OS 9 to OS X: the Special menu. It didn't mean OS X provided no way to shut down your Mac or eject a disk ;-)

--
Digital Workflow/Colorist, Nice Dissolve.

You should follow me on Twitter here. Or read Does FCP X make project files obsolete? on our blog.

Return to posts index

Sohrab Sandhu
on Apr 25, 2011 at 11:18:56 pm

[Craig Seeman] "I think most people would like to discuss what they saw, not what wasn't mentioned"

Thats a matter of how an individual perceives this whole situation. You think it was not mentioned so it should not be discussed however somebody else is upset because he thinks apple is silent because they are abandoning it! Again a matter of perception.

[Craig Seeman] "I think most people are trying to asses Apple ProApps future based on past patterns and objectives."

I think thats the only smart option right now.

[Craig Seeman] "I think a smaller number of people are assuming negative when there is no information given and that does bother those of us who want to discuss the concrete (as little of it that was shown)."

Why should it bother you? Do you think the credibilty of the FCP X will get eroded even before the release by these speculations? Sorry, I beg to differ.

FCS 3, AJA Kona Lhi

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Apr 25, 2011 at 11:40:51 pm

[Sohrab Sandhu] "however somebody else is upset because he thinks apple is silent because they are abandoning it! Again a matter of perception. "

That's why I mentioned the history in the "Discontinues" thread. Apple was not silent when the EOL'd Shake. They didn't mention LiveType because it was rolled into Motion.

My conclusion if something will be EOL'd they will either announce it or roll it into some aspect of FCPX. That's been their history.

Even when they stopped development on something such as iDVD and iWeb, while not in the Mac App Store both are still included in the online boxed set from the Apple Store.

That's why my conclusion is that if something like DVDSP isn't in the Mac App Store it may still be available in the online Apple Store.

One thing Apple has never done is simply allow software to disappear.

[Sohrab Sandhu] "Why should it bother you? Do you think the credibilty of the FCP X will get eroded even before the release by these speculations?"

These people can cause others to panic if they believe what they are reading is fact rather than speculation.

For example if the OP had said IF FCP Studio is dead rather than it looks like FCP studio is dead those are two entirely different meanings. IF admits speculation. It looks like, claims they've seen something when they haven't.

Someone discovering this thread would see "it looks like" and assume a fact has been presented and could make a panic decision thinking they've been presented with fact.

We are professional communicators/story tellers and making speculation sound as if it were fact is dangerous. That, to me, is a serious breach of trust in a forum like this.

We can speculate about the costs to move to Avid or Premiere but if someone states that FCP Studio looks dead, that's flat out wrong. It doesn't look anything because it wasn't covered at the sneak peak. One can make other wild speculations that since they showed it running on an iMac that the MacPro looks dead. People need to express speculation as such and not give it the appearance of fact.

Return to posts index

Chris Kenny
on Apr 25, 2011 at 5:21:00 pm

[Alexander Higgins] "So how about this, I will eat that Cow Poop if Final Cut Studio is still alive come June."

They're absolutely going to break up the bundle. We know this because Apple doesn't do bundles in the App Store. Twice before, with iWork and iLife, they've broken up bundles and simply sold the individual apps when moving to App Store distribution. Plus, of course, they've already announced a price for a stand-alone Final Cut Pro.

Because the bundle is being broken up, there's no reason to expect the various apps to have synchronized release cycles anymore. And because there's no reason to expect the apps to have synchronized release cycles anymore, the fact that they announced the next version of Final Cut Pro without announcing the next versions of other former Final Cut Studio apps implies nothing about Apple's plans for those apps.

Mind you, one could make an argument that it might make sense from Apple's perspective for other apps to go away:

• DVD Studio Pro because Apple doesn't see much future for discs.

• Soundtrack Pro because it might be a better idea to integrate its unique features into Logic or Final Cut Pro itself.

• Color if FCP as of X has better built-in color correction tools than it used to (which it looks like it might). For more serious work there are great third-party offerings on the platform now in the form of Resolve and the coming Baselight plugin.

• Compressor because FCP X probably supports background exporting, which if implemented properly could make Compressor redundant in most use cases.

Of those, if Apple did things right, I think the only app that would be missed much would be DVD Studio Pro. Even even then... the current version is a perfectly serviceable app for SD DVD creation. We'd really only be losing out on a Blu-ray authoring tool. Now, I don't like Encore much (it's buggy as hell), so it would be nice if Apple released a solid Blu-ray authoring tool, but it's hardly the end of the world if they don't.

Motion, I think, pretty much has to hang around, as far as I can see, unless FCP X has a whole built-in motion graphics toolset Apple hasn't mentioned yet.

--
Digital Workflow/Colorist, Nice Dissolve.

You should follow me on Twitter here. Or read Does FCP X make project files obsolete? on our blog.

Return to posts index

Tom Wolsky
on Apr 25, 2011 at 5:27:41 pm

What do you mean by if Final Cut Studio is still alive? You mean will it still be for sale? Probably not. But you already have the components of FCS. Going forward there will probably be new components available separately. Simply because they are separate applications does not mean they will lose any of the current integration capabilities available in FCS.

All the best,

Tom

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Apr 25, 2011 at 5:48:53 pm

This is not about being a "fanboy". I like FCp, but I'm not blind to it's shortcomings either. This thread began with an unsubstantiated guess, pitched as if it was a certainty. If you want to make guesses, call them guesses, or predictions. If you want to make wish lists, call them that. But to claim as fact, statements that FCP-x will or won't have this or that, is rash, unless you live in Cupertino and know something the lawyers will let you say. I see a lot of hysteria in the forums and very VERY little of is has anything substantial to justify it. You guys with the doom and gloom, you're like 70's era "Kremlinologists", trying to figure out what the Soviet Politburo is thinking, by measuring the length of the lines of people standing around in Moscow buying beets. Seems like a waste of energy and a cause for needless panic-raising.

Them that know, can't say. Them that say, don't really know anything yet. It's is all simply conjecture and predictions.

For every "fanboy" on this board, seems there is an equal and opposite "hater/doomsayer"... like the Star Trek Mirror Universe.

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
on Apr 25, 2011 at 6:04:54 pm

What Craig says is right, even if they don't particularly upgrade it anymore bar a few codecs, why wouldn't they put compressor up on the AppStore? Its money for old rope, they copy the app over, slap up an about page, and wait for the till to ring. As much as anything else that's a good reason to believe apple will be introducing multiple pieces of software here - they're multiple revenue streams.
they probably won't have worked quite as hard on the other bits, but they know everyone will buy them - as long as- they are sufficiently differentiated from the stuff we already have in FCS2. Maintaining that 32 bit float colour space in motion or something say. Apple like to make money: leaving out another two to three software revenue streams going forward is leaving piles of money on the table and that really isn't plausible.

http://www.ogallchoir.net
promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
on Apr 25, 2011 at 5:46:13 pm

Let's re-do the math honestly -

Shake -- Was dead a long time ago, but I like to gripe about it... Replaced by NUKE.
Cost $4,500.00

Since shake was NEVER a part of FCS, your mentioning it here is BS. Cost = 0

DVD Studio Pro -- Replace By Encore DVD. It seems very very buggy especially for Blu-Ray.
Cost $1,899.00

Since they stopped development of DVD Studio Pro 2 more than a year ago if you really needed blu-ray you already bought the software you need. Cost=0

Compressor -- Might be dead? wont know until june. Replacement SQUEEZE. SQUEEZE is amazing and destroys Compressor in every way except for clustering.
Cost $899.00

Color -- Might be dead? wont know until june. But most likely. Replacement Davinci Resolve..
Cost $999.00

Total Cost around $1200, if all the worst case scenarios play out, less if the unbundled Color and Compressor come at prices more in line with FCP.

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Apr 25, 2011 at 6:17:39 pm

Sohrab, you've been almost hysterically negative since the preview night. I was very glad and grateful for your live blogging of the reveal, but troubled by the editorializing without a factual basis. I think you and some others are jumping to a lot of premature conclusions without facts to go on.

Nobody is moderating your speech here. You're free to share your views. Many though, find this aggressively condemning tone objectionable and unproductive; why can't we discuss these things in a relaxed and friendly manner instead? It's a big pasture, plenty of grazing room for all.

Return to posts index

Sohrab Sandhu
on Apr 25, 2011 at 6:43:55 pm

[Mark Suszko] "Nobody is moderating your speech here. You're free to share your views. Many though, find this aggressively condemning tone objectionable and unproductive; why can't we discuss these things in a relaxed and friendly manner instead? It's a big pasture, plenty of grazing room for all."

So this is how you plan to discuss things in a friendly manner?

[Mark Suszko] "Sohrab, you've been almost hysterically negative since the preview night. I was very glad and grateful for your live blogging of the reveal, but troubled by the editorializing without a factual basis. I think you and some others are jumping to a lot of premature conclusions without facts to go on."

I think i have made my point!

FCS 3, AJA Kona Lhi

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Apr 25, 2011 at 9:27:34 pm

As I recall, your point over the days since the announcement was:

(paraphrasing)

"This sucks, it's not what I was hoping for, everything is ruined, forever, we have been abandoned by Apple for prosumer toys, dogs and cats, sleeping together... and I'm going to be going over to Avid".

Avid is very nice, there is nothing wrong with it. Ditto for Premiere, which has had many features more advanced than FCP for some time now.

For myself, I want to wait and see what Apple has done, and what they announce they will do about the other apps, the suite, etc. I have a lot riding on this at work; we've made deep commitments to an FCP workflow, so yes, there is some angst about what is and isn't going to come out in June. But at the end of the day, it's just another tool. Maybe a better one, maybe not. We'll find out, we'll try it out, we'll have a huge discussion, but it is unproductive to make rash plans to gut my suites and jump to another platform just yet. If Apple stopped all FCP work tomorrow, my shop would soldier on quite well with the current setup. We'd have to go get a few third-party apps for specific things, but we could soldier on quite well for a while until the existing suites got too old, and then, we'd have to make a decision about changing platforms.

Apple is not infallible. They've made mistakes before, and I'm sure, will again. But overall, they get it quite right more often than not, so mostly I am excited in anticipation of trying out new functions already announced, most of them as shown in the demo have direct utility and relevance to our shop's main products.

Does all that make me a "fanboy"? I think labels like that are unproductive.

Return to posts index

Sohrab Sandhu
on Apr 25, 2011 at 9:41:52 pm

[Mark Suszko] ""This sucks, it's not what I was hoping for, everything is ruined, forever, we have been abandoned by Apple for prosumer toys, dogs and cats, sleeping together... and I'm going to be going over to Avid".

Avid is very nice, there is nothing wrong with it. Ditto for Premiere, which has had many features more advanced than FCP for some time now."

When did i say all this? Maybe in your dreams!

Like some of the other members I am also concerned about what this software holds in future for me?

Am i forcing you to make a choice? Are you going to decide which NLE you are going to use just because i told you so? I hope you are grown up enough to form an opinion on your own!

And if you don't like my talk, just don't read it. I am not gonna stop saying what i feel like just because you are "troubled" by it.

FCS 3, AJA Kona Lhi

Return to posts index

Scott Thomas
on Apr 26, 2011 at 6:51:53 am

"And if you don't like my talk, just don't read it."

Yes. That will suffice.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Apr 26, 2011 at 7:23:16 am

What a fun thread!

Can I play?

(clearing throat and announcing in my most stentorian tones...)

Unless FCP X, honors my individual needs above those of ALL others and conforms to my personal workflow expectations, I hereby reserve the right to complain to everyone who will listen (and, of course those who don't wish to.)

Oh, also, - before I forget - (because this matters a LOT to me!) - upon completion of my projects, any new iteration of VCP must throw up ONE giant glowing button that is marked AUTO OUTPUT BILL'S WORK IN A FORM EXACTLY AS HIS CLIENTS NEED IT AND MAIL IT TO THEM INSTANTLY IN A FORM THAT WILL WORK PERFECTLY WITHOUT FAIL — (and the software must complete such distribution in less than five minutes regardless of the size of the output file because he's impatient and HATES having to wait for stuff) - well, that's it.

Unless you do this FCP team... I will consider this release an ABJECT failure and immediately move my business to alternate software where I'm sure the new company WILL concentrate ALL their efforts on making sure their stuff works precisely to my personal specifications and who will strive always keep ME happy because, after all, **I** am the center of the editing universe and all shall tremble before my awesomeness...

(Huh, now I get it - that DID make me feel much more "in control" and better about my life.)

Thank you.

; )

"Before speaking out ask yourself whether your words are true, whether they are respectful and whether they are needed in our civil discussions."-Justice O'Conner

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Apr 26, 2011 at 1:44:07 pm

Adobe Premiere has this feature implemented but it will get 30% of the edits wrong and send the files to the wrong client.

Avid will bounce back a message saying you need to upgrade to Nitris DS in order to use this feature.

FCP won't have this feature in the initial release and everyone will complain how they will move to Premiere which has the feature or Avid despite the cost being many times higher than using YouSendIt.

All the NLEs on both Mac and Windows competing against FCPX will collectively start and advertising campaign with the slogan "Everybody does it better than FCP" (to the tune "Nobody does it better than Sara Lee"). The chorus to be sung by those complainers culled from this forum. Google will then hire them to do Android commercials.

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Apr 26, 2011 at 2:36:26 pm

Bill,
I think the Auto read my mind button is a great idea. ( AUTO OUTPUT BILL'S WORK IN A FORM EXACTLY AS HIS CLIENTS NEED IT AND MAIL IT TO THEM INSTANTLY IN A FORM THAT WILL WORK PERFECTLY WITHOUT FAIL )

Except I think Apple needs to provide a way to change part of the button's name from "Bill's" to who ever is using it. So for me it would be, "AUTO OUTPUT Stephen'S WORK IN A FORM EXACTLY AS HIS CLIENTS NEED IT AND MAIL IT TO THEM INSTANTLY IN A FORM THAT WILL WORK PERFECTLY WITHOUT FAIL"

Other wise I would get confused and think only Bill could use that button and I would end up doing it manually. :-)

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Check out my Motion Training DVD

Check out my Motion Tutorials

Return to posts index

Richard Herd
on Apr 26, 2011 at 6:32:25 pm

The WHAT ABOUT ME button.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]