FORUMS: list search recent posts

Prores 422 file won't open. I even asked "pretty please"

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark Suszko
Prores 422 file won't open. I even asked "pretty please"
on Apr 23, 2019 at 3:51:33 pm

Cross-posted in desperation...

I have a 71.7- gig KiPro recording, MOV Pro Res 422, 720, that seems to be corrupted in some way; I couldn't open it with FCPX, Compressor, Premiere, MPEG Streamclip, or the can-opener of can-openers, VLC. The memory module's been formatted and re-used since then, so this is all I have and of course the reason I'm posting is, the content is irreplaceable and I need it.

With no budget to send the file to some recovery service, can you suggest any free or low-cost tools and techniques to rehabilitate the file? My guess is it is intact but needs "re-wrapping" or a fix in the metadata to make it again recognizable to the edit system. I don't know how to do that. Any help at all is deeply (and urgently) appreciated!

Return to posts index

Tero Ahlfors
Re: Prores 422 file won't open. I even asked "pretty please"
on Apr 23, 2019 at 5:24:32 pm

I would probably try checking if it's readable with Mediainfo.

Return to posts index

Peter Haddon
on Apr 23, 2019 at 7:12:28 pm

Hello Mark,

I’ve had success in similar circumstances using ‘Media Salvage’ and/or ‘QT Repair’ as part of the Digital Rebellion ‘Pro Maintenance Tools’ Kit. Affordable to boot.

https://www.digitalrebellion.com/promaintenance

Good luck!

Peter

Return to posts index

Mathieu Ghekiere
on Apr 23, 2019 at 8:32:14 pm

+1 on the digital rebellion tools. Could be that timecode is gone but with prores files you can often recover up until the recording went wrong. All their tools are great backups for when stuff goes wrong and are very affordable. I wish you the best with recovering your file.

https://mathieughekiere.wordpress.com

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Apr 23, 2019 at 8:58:19 pm

"Affordable" is a relative term, depending on the budget and level of desperation involved...

I'll keep the Digital Rebellion stuff under advisory, but anybody got anything a little... cheaper to try first?

Return to posts index

Mark Smith
on Apr 23, 2019 at 10:45:23 pm

I’ve pulled Panasonic DVC Pro files back from oblivion with some metadata editing in the file header. I have no idea if that works in your case but it might be a clue as to where to look. If you can compare metadata headers between similar files that play correctly and the ones that do not, you might find a route.

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Apr 25, 2019 at 6:05:42 pm

I have had Panasonic P2 cards not be able to import into FCP and solved it by putting it back into the P2 camera and even though it said there was a problem with the files I put it in playback mode and it rewrapped the footage and then worked on both the camera and in FCP. Maybe put your recording back in kiPro and see if it can be read.

Imacs (i7), Canon C300, Canon 5D Mark IV, Panasonic ENG HPX250P, , FCP X, teach video production in L.A., Cool Light Productions, Producing series of multimedia Portraits of creative women in the production arts.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Apr 25, 2019 at 7:43:07 pm

I think I read that suggestion from Gary Adcock in an earlier thread. Tried copying the file back to a formatted drive module, the module read as 80 percent empty, indicating it knew there was *something* there, but nothing would play out. Still looking for a fix.

Return to posts index

Richard Herd
on Apr 30, 2019 at 8:43:46 pm

ffmpeg? That's pretty powerful but not intuitive. The ffmpeg reddit forum has lots of smart people too.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]