FORUMS: list search recent posts

While awaiting the 2019 Mac Pro

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Herb Sevush
While awaiting the 2019 Mac Pro
on Apr 3, 2019 at 11:31:51 am

Sitting here with my 2010 and 2013 Mac Pro's, easily the oldest computers I've ever edited with, and waiting for news of the mythical 2019 Mac Pro, I came upon this article by our own Oliver Peters. Nice job Oliver.

https://www.redsharknews.com/post/item/6250-should-you-buy-your-editing-com...

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions
---------------------------
nothin' attached to nothin'
"Deciding the spine is the process of editing" F. Bieberkopf

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
Re: While awaiting the 2019 Mac Pro
on Apr 3, 2019 at 12:53:21 pm

Thanks. It's a sweet machine.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters - oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Brett Sherman
on Apr 3, 2019 at 12:54:18 pm
Last Edited By Brett Sherman on Apr 3, 2019 at 12:54:59 pm

I would hope that a modern PC would beat a 6 year old Mac Pro! If not, they're doing something seriously wrong. A fairer comparison would be with the newly released iMac (which is roughly the same price, yet includes a 5K monitor).

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Apr 3, 2019 at 1:08:02 pm

I have numbers against the iMac Pros, as well. Though not on the AE benchmarks. I would also recommend that you study the scores chart from Puget Systems that's in the RedShark post. They covered a whole range of Macs and PCs.

It's really not about the age of the machine. The 2013 Mac Pro actually still holds up against the iMac Pros and iMacs. It's all about the components selected and how they are combined. Apple's biggest disadvantage right now is their lack of CUDA support. That was a major differentiation in my testing. Apple's designs right now play towards the advantages of use with FCPX to the detriment of other applications.

Regarding the price, remember that this PC has more drives and the NVMe SSD is lightning fast. There's also a lot more connectivity than any iMac. A better comparison is the equivalent configuration in an iMac Pro. If you take that PC as an example, back out the 6TB media drive and add back in a 5K display, then you are at about the same price. Maybe a couple of hundred cheaper than the iMac Pro. If you run that comparison, the Premiere speeds are quite similar, and the AE and Resolve speeds are still faster on the PC. However, if you work a lot with native 6K/8K RED footage, then the PC is clearly superior with Premiere Pro.

- Oliver

Return to posts index

Brett Sherman
on Apr 5, 2019 at 1:03:11 am
Last Edited By Brett Sherman on Apr 5, 2019 at 1:11:58 am

[Oliver Peters] "It's really not about the age of the machine. The 2013 Mac Pro actually still holds up against the iMac Pros and iMacs. It's all about the components selected and how they are combined. Apple's biggest disadvantage right now is their lack of CUDA support. That was a major differentiation in my testing. Apple's designs right now play towards the advantages of use with FCPX to the detriment of other applications."

It's so variable on what you're doing. Xeon's tend to be good a raw power processing, but Core processors can work better with certain specifically designed functions, such as decompressing certain codecs. That's why my iMac (and even my laptop) feel snappier editing certain kinds of footage than the Mac Pro. It's one reason I'm getting the new iMac versus the iMac Pro.

I will admit to knowing nothing about Premiere performance. Or the triangular firing squad of Apple, Nvidia, and Adobe. My sense is there is equal blame to go around.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Apr 5, 2019 at 1:15:17 am

There are a number of differences in Core versus Xeon CPUs, but it’s harder to differentiate these days, since both offer lots of cores. The main thing these days is that actual core speeds are faster in Core CPUs than in Xeons. Core speed is important with After Effects.

As far as H264, H265, that’s a function of QuickSync in the Core chips. When I tested Resolve for H264 encoding, it actually gave me the option of native, Nvidia or QuickSync. The Nvidia option was fastest.

Oliver

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
on Apr 3, 2019 at 1:22:47 pm

[Brett Sherman] "A fairer comparison would be with the newly released iMac (which is roughly the same price, yet includes a 5K monitor)."

Which said monitor is useless if you already have your own monitoring in place, which has a slower CPU, a lesser GPU, maxes out at 64 gb memory, has no internal PCI slots and therefore requires additional Tblt 3 - PCI expansion box's if you need it. Thank you, but no thanks.

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions

Return to posts index

Brett Sherman
on Apr 5, 2019 at 12:49:46 am
Last Edited By Brett Sherman on Apr 5, 2019 at 1:10:40 am

An 8GB Radeon Vega 48 is a lesser GPU? Different, I don't know about lesser. Lesser processor? They are both Core i9's. iMacs is slightly faster. And with memory there is a point of diminishing returns. I've never felt lacking with 32gb. But I do know Adobe apps tend to be more memory hungry. (One might say worse at managing memory)

And as always, the proof is in the pudding regardless of specs.

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
on Apr 5, 2019 at 2:39:40 am

[Brett Sherman] "An 8GB Radeon Vega 48 is a lesser GPU? Different, I don't know about lesser."

The Radeon Vega 64 is a lesser GPU than the 11GB 2080ti in every speed test I've ever seen. I'm assuming the Vega 48 fit below that.

[Brett Sherman] "Lesser processor? They are both Core i9's. iMacs is slightly faster."

I stand corrected, they are identical 8 core, 3.6, i9s (don't know why you say the Imac is faster.) Of course the difference is if you wanted a faster processor or more cores with the PC you could get it. With the Imac ... not so much.

[Brett Sherman] "And with memory there is a point of diminishing returns. I've never felt lacking with 32gb. But I do know Adobe apps tend to be more memory hungry. (One might say worse at managing memory)"

I haven't worked with less than 64gb in years, so I wouldn't know. As they say, you can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much memory.

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions

Return to posts index

Brett Sherman
on Apr 5, 2019 at 2:15:50 pm

[Herb Sevush] "I stand corrected, they are identical 8 core, 3.6, i9s (don't know why you say the Imac is faster.)"

I misread the specs, 3.7 Ghz i5 and 3.6 ghz i9 are available options. I inverted the numbers.

Comparing graphic cards is highly dependent on software and OS being used. So my point is that they are basically in the same ballpark. Do I care about gaming performance? I do not.

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
on Apr 5, 2019 at 2:54:56 pm

[Brett Sherman] "I misread the specs, 3.7 Ghz i5 and 3.6 ghz i9 are available options. I inverted the numbers."

I did a similar thing when I misspoke. Damn numbers, grrr.

[Brett Sherman] "Comparing graphic cards is highly dependent on software and OS being used. So my point is that they are basically in the same ballpark. Do I care about gaming performance? I do not."

That's a pretty big ballpark you live in. This whole argument was about cost vs performance. If we scale the Nvidia card back to a basic 2080, then we are indeed in the same ballpark, except now Oliver's machine costs $500 less.

In any event, I can agree that the new Imac is a great machine if you're cutting with FCPX. However my main client is a large media firm that is committed to both Mac and Adobe. FCPX is not an option, neither is a PC. Which is why I'm working with both a 6 year old and 10 year old Mac Pro, the latter being almost as fast as the former, while spinning my wheels waiting for Apple to produce a computer that will induce me to spend my money, and the Imac will not be the system to do it.

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]