FORUMS: list search recent posts

Exporting list of missing files

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Crochetiere
Exporting list of missing files
on Mar 23, 2019 at 8:10:19 pm

Hello - Long story, but I need to decide if it's worthwhile doing data recovery on the external drive that holds my FCP media. Is there a way to export the list of missing FCP project files to (for example) an Excel file.This would be helpful. Thanks.

Return to posts index

Michiel de Leeuw van Weenen
Re: Exporting list of missing files
on Mar 24, 2019 at 10:18:11 am

Maybe Final Cut Library Manager can help you? I am not sure but Check the website.
https://www.arcticwhiteness.com/finalcutlibrarymanager/

Return to posts index

Michael Crochetiere
on Mar 24, 2019 at 5:15:20 pm

Thanks - I'll give it a try!

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
on Mar 24, 2019 at 3:41:26 pm

I wonder if there is an identifier in an exported XML file.

Return to posts index

Michael Crochetiere
on Mar 24, 2019 at 3:43:47 pm

Thanks - I don't know. I'm no expert :-)

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
on Mar 25, 2019 at 5:58:03 pm

[Michael Crochetiere] "Thanks - I don't know. I'm no expert ☺
"

Just checked and nothing jumps out at me.
But I was using Text Editor.
Im sure an XML reader would be best.

Return to posts index

Michael Crochetiere
on Mar 25, 2019 at 7:05:11 pm

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Mar 26, 2019 at 2:44:18 am

Type “Missing” in the event viewer search bar.

This should bring up all the missing clips.

From there you can export an fcpxml. From there you’d have to parse the list for clipnames.

You could also bring in the fcpxml to Resolve and export an edl from there to give you a more readable list.

Return to posts index

Michael Crochetiere
on Apr 12, 2019 at 6:13:38 pm

Great - thanks!

Return to posts index

Michael Crochetiere
on Apr 12, 2019 at 6:17:08 pm

Related: I recently lost some media files on my external hard drive (and on the back up drive). Long story. I'm using Disk Drill to recover the lost files, but many are reconstructed with unintelligible names. I'm still running FCP7. Will FCP be able to find the files (by size etc) - or will I need to review each one, to restore the name I gave it in my FCP project? This may be tough with some files (like six different wind SFX). Any tips would be appreciated.

Return to posts index

Andreas Kiel
on Apr 13, 2019 at 2:42:08 pm

I created a little app quite some time ago (not Mojave compatible) which can do.
Create an XML and open that one with the app.

http://www.spherico.com/filmtools/X-Files/X-Asset/XAU.dmg

Spherico
http://www.spherico.com/filmtools

"He who fights with monsters should be careful lest he thereby
become a monster. And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will
also gaze into thee." - Friedrich Nietzsche, Beyond Good and Evil

Return to posts index

Michael Crochetiere
on Apr 13, 2019 at 2:47:32 pm

Thanks - I'll have a look!

Return to posts index

Andreas Kiel
on Apr 13, 2019 at 9:09:13 pm

[Joe Marler on FCP.co] Andreas, thanks for this. Here are some examples to illustrate how useful this utility is:

Scenario 1: You have a portable drive containing a non-managed library and media set you want to send a remote collaborator. IOW the media is external, not in the library. You obviously don't want to ship the drive then find it didn't contain all the media, forcing you to ship another drive (because the assets are too large for file transfer).

While the FCPX library inspector will show you IF assets are on another volume, it does not show you which ones. There is no easy way to locate these. Andreas' utility does that quickly and easily. It ensures the drive you ship contains 100% of all media assets -- the first time.

True, FCPX can consolidate media from one non-managed location to another, then you're guaranteed that new media tree contains everything. That works for small cases. My current documentary library is 20 terabytes. I don't have the time or disk space to copy that to another array, simply because FCPX failed to provide any way to list what media files are on what volume. By contrast Andreas' utility works in real-world production situations, not just for "toy" libraries.

Scenario 2: At the start of post production, you and a remote collaborator both have hard drives with the same media assets. The remote editor needs to send you the library, event or project XML for color correction or audio. Unfortunately the remote editor has added more media assets but didn't put them all in a known location. They are fatigued, have been working 18 hr a day, and can't remember if every file was ingested from a designated media tree. Typically they send a project XML file, you load it, see red thumbnails and spend lots of time on the phone trying to isolate which files those are.

Andreas' utility allows the remote editor to simply send a library, event or project XML file which you then compare with your own version, and it flags any media file differences. IOW it is an FCPX library/event/project "diff" utility. It can compare a project to a library and find any media files referenced by the project that are not in the library and export a list of these.

Thus you can provide the remote editor a list of newly-added media files they need to send you -- all in a single step. No time spent on the phone tracking down missing files. You could also send your library XML to the remote editor and they could use the utility on their end to isolate these stray files before sending them.

I have previously spent precious hours In time-critical post production situations tracking down files. If a drive is shipped without containing all the media, this could easily cost 1-2 more days while the files are located and another drive is shipped.

If everyone exercised perfect procedures on media files, you wouldn't need this utility. But in the real world that does not always happen, so the utility helps in those situations. That is a lot of cases. It probably has additional uses I haven't even figured out yet. Thanks again to Andreas for taking time to create such a valuable tool.

Spherico
http://www.spherico.com/filmtools

"He who fights with monsters should be careful lest he thereby
become a monster. And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will
also gaze into thee." - Friedrich Nietzsche, Beyond Good and Evil

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]