iMac bump

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Oliver Peters
iMac bump
on Mar 19, 2019 at 12:35:13 pm
Last Edited By Oliver Peters on Mar 19, 2019 at 12:36:37 pm

More cores

https://www.cnet.com/news/apple-updates-imac-line-with-more-cores-and-bette...

https://www.apple.com/imac/

- Oliver

Oliver Peters - oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
Re: iMac bump
on Mar 19, 2019 at 5:37:50 pm

There also seems to be a slight price drop in BTO configurations of the iMac Pros.

Oliver

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Mar 19, 2019 at 6:23:33 pm

iMac Pro got a small bump too. New top end GPU and up to 256gigs of RAM.

Return to posts index

Lance Bachelder
on Mar 19, 2019 at 7:32:56 pm

Looks nice but pretty close to iMac Pro pricing - just $750 more for similar base iMac vs iMac Pro??? (32GB ram and 1TB SSD)

It was at a Vegas premiere that I resolved to become an avid FCPX user.

Lance Bachelder
Writer, Editor, Director
Downtown Long Beach, California
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1680680/?ref_=fn_al_nm_1

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Mar 19, 2019 at 7:53:04 pm
Last Edited By Oliver Peters on Mar 19, 2019 at 7:59:30 pm

Which components are you comparing? I see a larger difference than that. Mainly CPU and GPU differences in base 27" models. However, when you get to the same core count and upgrade the iMac GPU, then you have a $750 difference.

The iMac Pro is more expensive, but it has a Xeon CPU and bigger GPU. It also comes with the extended keyboard, which is an upgrade option with the iMac. So that difference is reasonable and probably worth it in Apple-land. I don't think you are going to see the iMac get all that much cheaper than the Pro. It's not rocket science. Components cost what they cost. :)

OTOH, I'm not sure if they've changed the cooling in this version of the iMac, but the Pro models have better cooling along with more ports.

- Oliver

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Mar 19, 2019 at 8:16:34 pm

[Oliver Peters] "OTOH, I'm not sure if they've changed the cooling in this version of the iMac, but the Pro models have better cooling along with more ports."

The iMacs thermal throttle pretty quick from what I recall. And you can't have enough ports.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Mar 19, 2019 at 8:34:03 pm

[Andrew Kimery] "The iMacs thermal throttle pretty quick from what I recall."

In our shop, the iMacs and iMac Pros both are largely capable of tackling the same type of work. The Pros render faster and generally don't kick the fans in nearly as quickly at the Retina iMacs.

[Andrew Kimery] "And you can't have enough ports."

The issue with ports is the internal bus. If you have 2 ports that are tied to the same bus, then obviously you are splitting the total possible bandwidth. I think that's the case with the iMacs and TB3. I think it's 4 across 2 in the Pros.

- Oliver

Return to posts index

Gerry Fraiberg
on Mar 20, 2019 at 2:04:04 pm

It's interesting to note that Final Cut Pro X is barely to be seen on the updated iMac info page. Apple shows us DaVinci Resolve on screen, with an FCPX screen way down the page. Apple isn't showing much love for it's own NLE.

https://www.apple.com/imac/

Under Performance we see:
DaVinci Resolve Hyperlight footage provided courtesy of Nguyen-Anh Nguyen and Second Tomorrow Studios.

- Gerry Fraiberg
Videographer | Editor | Photographer | Voice Over Artist.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Mar 20, 2019 at 3:58:14 pm

[Gerry Fraiberg] "Under Performance we see:
DaVinci Resolve Hyperlight "

Perhaps Apple is concerned about Resolve users jumping to Windows.
After all, us FCPX users are captive.
In the lead shot of the iMac, as it cycles through, there's a shot from FCPX followed by Logic.

In any case, Apple doesn't seem to market FCPX that much. They seem to leave that to "the community."

Return to posts index

Gerry Fraiberg
on Mar 20, 2019 at 5:17:27 pm

[Craig Seeman] "In the lead shot of the iMac, as it cycles through, there's a shot from FCPX followed by Logic.
"

I scrolled right past it before the screens cycled.

[Craig Seeman] "Perhaps Apple is concerned about Resolve users jumping to Windows."
Good point.

- Gerry Fraiberg
Videographer | Editor | Photographer | Voice Over Artist.

Return to posts index

Ronny Courtens
on Mar 20, 2019 at 6:16:18 pm

The lead intro shows Pages, FCP X, Logic Pro X, and some game.

Under "The Power Couple" there's a 27" iMac with Resolve grading (not the NLE), next to a 21" iMac with a game.

Under "8 Cores" there's another shot of Logic Pro X.

And at the bottom, there's a beautiful picture of a complete FCP X setup with dual screens and a reference monitor.

So I think that FCP X and Logic Pro X both get a very good exposure on that page.

- Ronny

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on Mar 22, 2019 at 4:08:30 am

Help an old, out of touch brother out here. 😂

In olden times, I could always count on a thread about a new Apple release to provide all sorts of insights into what kind of work people are doing, what they need and want from Apple, and a whole lot of things that go far beyond the specs.

Some of the relative quietude of such threads in recent years is that the adrenaline here has gone way down, which I think is generally a good thing.

But I wonder if there's something larger going on, and that's where I need your help.

There's no question that the Trash Can and its timing sent some previous "Mac or Die" folks to the door. Maybe not for their entire computing profile, but it made them realize that they can live a happy life without Apple coming through for them, and all it took was adding a Windows (or something else) machine or two into the mix.

I'm thinking that something of the same happened for the folks who stayed too, though. A realization that there's no point in talking about what they want to see from Apple, because there's no chance in Apple actually doing it. It's like, all you need to do is say it out loud to make SURE that Apple never does it.

Along with that, though, is that realization I just mentioned that some folks might have had, that Apple's stuff is good enough, because a) it just is, and/or b) it HAS to be, because anything else would necessitate some degree of having some non-Apple computers in one's life, and that just ain't gonna happen, no matter what Apple does or doesn't do.

Because that's certainly the flipside of this story. That instead of either buying Apple's new thing OR going to Windows, a large number of you carried on with your "still good enough" five or eight or more year old machines. Maybe it's that the juicy goodness of the software (including FCPX) and "the Apple experience" makes it inconceivable that changing platforms will ever become a consideration.

I don't know. That's why I'm asking.

So what's the story this time? Is this specific release just not enough to get either excited or upset about? Have we moved into a zen state of equilibrium, free from the pain of desire, fully embracing what IS as neither good nor bad, but simply IS.

Or what?

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Mar 22, 2019 at 5:23:04 am

[Tim Wilson] "So what's the story this time? Is this specific release just not enough to get either excited or upset about?"

It's just a spec bump. Nothing to really write home about.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Mar 22, 2019 at 12:22:49 pm

[Tim Wilson] "I'm thinking that something of the same happened for the folks who stayed too, though. A realization that there's no point in talking about what they want to see from Apple, because there's no chance in Apple actually doing it. It's like, all you need to do is say it out loud to make SURE that Apple never does it. "

Well... I think Andrew is right. This is just a speed bump. But it could also be that Apple is making some adjustments based on the supply chain. Or they need to make tweaks to keep people happy, since the Mac Pro probably won't ship until the end of the year.

In general, computers have gotten better and our workflows and associated hardware requirements have become streamlined. Most of us don't need all the gozintas and gozoutas that we used to require. Edit suites are more compact than in the past. The horsepower on an decked out iMac/iMac Pro or even trash can Mac Pro is more than enough for most needs. Even the new Mac mini with an eGPU.

I bought a late-2009 cheeesegrater Mac Pro, which I still have. In these years, I've upgraded RAM, swapped out GPUs a couple of times, added USB3/eSATA cards, and swapped out/upgraded drives. Yes, it was nice to be able to do that. But when I factor in the total cost of all those upgrades, I'm not sure that I wouldn't have been better off upgrading the total machine a couple of times during that same period. Today, it sits powered off unless I need to burn a DVD. Most of my work (when not on a f/l gig at a facility) is done with my MacBook Pro.

Even though you can upgrade hardware on a tower-style machine, the other components are locked into the design and specs of the era in which it was manufactured. For example, that MP tower can't do any flavor of Thunderbolt.

In the case of Apple, I think they've hit a point when their product options cover 99% of the needs of even the power users. So while people deride them for not having another cheesegrater design in the lineup (yet?), a lot of this is just standard internet/social media faux outrage. In the end, most of us just want a great working machine, not a science project ☺

- Oliver

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Mar 22, 2019 at 3:04:37 pm

When Apple first released the iMac Pro there was a lot of talk. When Apple releases the next MP there will be a lot of talk. This is just a small spec bump (something Apple used to do as a matter of course) which is why there isn't a lot of talk.

[Oliver Peters] "I bought a late-2009 cheeesegrater Mac Pro, which I still have. In these years, I've upgraded RAM, swapped out GPUs a couple of times, added USB3/eSATA cards, and swapped out/upgraded drives. Yes, it was nice to be able to do that. But when I factor in the total cost of all those upgrades, I'm not sure that I wouldn't have been better off upgrading the total machine a couple of times during that same period."

I have the same era machine and performed the same kinds of upgrades on it. For me the upgrades have certainly been way more costive effective than buying a new desktop machine (or two) over the same time frame.

With that being said, I'm torturing myself currently by waiting for the nMP just to see if it's something I'd be interested it. I doubt it will be. Unless the nMP blows me away I'll end up with either an iMac Pro or a Hackintosh by years end.

[Oliver Peters] "Even though you can upgrade hardware on a tower-style machine, the other components are locked into the design and specs of the era in which it was manufactured. For example, that MP tower can't do any flavor of Thunderbolt."

But the tower can be upgraded to USB 3, eSATA, HDMI, HD-SDI, Fiber, 10gig ethernet etc., ThB, due to its architecture, is a bit of an outlier when it comes to I/O upgradeability.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Mar 22, 2019 at 3:51:38 pm

[Andrew Kimery] "But the tower can be upgraded to USB 3, eSATA, HDMI, HD-SDI, Fiber, 10gig ethernet etc., ThB, due to its architecture, is a bit of an outlier when it comes to I/O upgradeability."

I think for large storage amounts (shared or local) 10Gig seems to be winning out. Video i/o seems to still be best with TB2/3. If you need it at all. Or even HDMI.

- Oliver

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
on Mar 22, 2019 at 12:31:32 pm

A couple of factors are in play, says I.

First, this is a minor upgrade. I will expect more interest when/if the next Mac Pro gets released.

Next, I think the industry has matured to the extent that you can do what you want with whatever you have. All of the big time NLE's are great, they can be used on anything from a laptop to a multi-screen workstation, utilizing either Mac or Windows. The differences are very nuanced, the NLE's are customizable, the computer's are available and cheap - there just isn't that much to complain about. Not that that's ever stopped us before.

Finally, the thread about the renaming of this forum has sent some of our former contributors away. Debate leads to passion leads to volatility leads to bad behavior - and when that is not being tolerated, the ecosystem changes. Less passion, less interest.

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions
---------------------------
nothin' attached to nothin'
"Deciding the spine is the process of editing" F. Bieberkopf

Return to posts index

greg janza
on Mar 23, 2019 at 8:47:17 pm

Finally, the thread about the renaming of this forum has sent some of our former contributors away. Debate leads to passion leads to volatility leads to bad behavior - and when that is not being tolerated, the ecosystem changes. Less passion, less interest.

I'd add that there's also been an exodus here because the Facebook forums are much more active and dynamic. There's a wealth of dialogue happening on Facebook that makes the cow look like a ghost town. No disrespect to the great community that's been established here but I find the Facebook forums are more dynamic overall.

I'll add too that the now ancient and thoroughly boring debate of FCPX vs Premiere or Apple vs. The World has taken a back seat to practical advice.

tallmanproductions.net

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Mar 23, 2019 at 9:15:21 pm

[greg janza] "because the Facebook forums are much more active and dynamic"

Aside from the issue of monetizing your data - Facebook is a horrible format to try and follow any sort of threaded discussion.

Oliver

Return to posts index

Doug Metz
on Mar 25, 2019 at 7:28:14 pm

[Oliver Peters] "Aside from the issue of monetizing your data - Facebook is a horrible format to try and follow any sort of threaded discussion."

Exactly! And aside from that aside, there's the whole issue of social experimentation via feed manipulation, the corporate-level cavalier attitude regarding account security, the intentional misuse of their Apple dev account certs... Stack on top of that the inability to follow an actual discussion, and Facebook is a complete non-starter for me.

I deleted my account a year and a half ago, and have no intention of going back.

Love me some COW, but it has been a bit quiet of late.

Doug Metz

Anode

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Mar 24, 2019 at 4:20:50 pm

[greg janza] "community that's been established here but I find the Facebook forums are more dynamic overall."

Care to share which ones? All the FCPX ones I subscribe too are full of beginners questions and "where can I download FCPX for free" questions

Return to posts index

greg janza
on Mar 24, 2019 at 4:41:18 pm

"Adobe Premiere Pro Editors on Facebook" is one of the best forums for technical advice. Other interesting forums, "ASK AN EDITOR", "Edit Suite Stories" and to a lesser extent, "Moving to Adobe Premiere Pro."

tallmanproductions.net

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Mar 24, 2019 at 5:43:32 pm

Well, if you're primarily interested in Premiere, that makes perfect sense.
But there are plenty of FCP X specific groups that don't necessarily cater to beginners.
Professional Final Cut Pro Editors comes immediately to mind.

The only downside is that occasionally the threads are in foreign languages, as befits perhaps how slowly US editors took X seriously compared to the wider global editing community.

Creator of XinTwo - http://www.xintwo.com
The shortest path to FCP X mastery.

Return to posts index

Ronny Courtens
on Mar 25, 2019 at 8:45:40 pm

Greg Janza: I'll add too that the now ancient and thoroughly boring debate of FCPX vs Premiere or Apple vs. The World has taken a back seat to practical advice.

+1

- Ronny

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Mar 23, 2019 at 1:27:06 am

This is probably just me, but the days of “longing” for a system that works both reliably and as fast as I need it to — are simply a thing of the past.

I spent the last two weeks designing and building out one of the most complex storylines of my past few years. It’s the video equivalent of a “brand book” for a large financial client with many divisions, all of which their many agencies need to keep the “look and feel” of all their public facing communications consistent.

To achieve that, the team of content experts and designers I’m working with are constantly revising and replacing on screen design elements, precision type specs, graphics and live video elements.

The final work will be Between 30 min and an hour long - and I’ll likely have 50,000 edits, transitions and builds in the darn thing. So it’s pretty complex.

My point is that I barely have to think about X at all while I’m in a work session. And that includes the sessions where I’m huddled with the art director, producer and client hovering over my shoulder.

Everything just works, smoothly and easily. No waiting, no struggles, and I think I had ONE crash on a day a couple of weeks back where I was changing and re-changing type a bunch - and like always X rebooted, post hang up, without my losing a single keystroke

And this is all on a 2016 MacBook Pro.

So essentially, the big change for me is that somewhere along the line, I was able to STOP chasing “hardware and software fast enough to drive more friction out of getting my work done efficiently” and just focus on the work itself.

I only moderately care about all those things I spent years chasing so hard after. Processor specs, graphic cards, extra GPUs, waiting for “the next software speed up” those are not such a big deal for me now.

Sure I’ll keep upgrading my hardware, but it’s not to escape challenges any more. It’s just normal equipment upgrade cycles to keep up and get the benefits of industry progress.

When revs like 10.4.5 come out and something like workflow extensions arrive, the new capabilities are great, but not because they FIX stoppers. Just because they offer even more bang for the same bucks I paid back in 2011.

Do the game has simply changed for me. I don’t NEED a better engine at the core of my business to compete.

I feel like I already have that, and have for a few years now.

FWIW.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Mar 24, 2019 at 9:10:37 pm
Last Edited By Oliver Peters on Mar 24, 2019 at 9:13:18 pm

[Bill Davis] "This is probably just me, but the days of “longing” for a system that works both reliably and as fast as I need it to — are simply a thing of the past."

That really boils down to each personal situation. I do think the post industry is split between the minimalist approach and the full-blown - sports car versus truck, if you will. If you mainly edit and do some color correction, mixing, and mograph in service of that edit, then nearly any decent machine you buy today - workstation, all-in-one, or laptop - will be more than adequate. That's true for Media Composer, Resolve, Premiere Pro, and FCPX.

However, if your primary assignments are extensive and elaborate After Effects work, 3D animation, Flame or Fusion compositing, or full-time color correction, then you are interested in eeking every last bit of performance out of the machine. And not just the machine, but ancillary hardware for proper monitoring, etc.

- Oliver

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Mar 25, 2019 at 9:09:56 pm

[Bill Davis] "I spent the last two weeks designing and building out one of the most complex storylines of my past few years. It’s the video equivalent of a “brand book” for a large financial client with many divisions, all of which their many agencies need to keep the “look and feel” of all their public facing communications consistent."

I'd be interested in a write up of that project if you had the time.

[Oliver Peters] "Aside from the issue of monetizing your data - Facebook is a horrible format to try and follow any sort of threaded discussion."

Add to that the 'minor' issue of Facebook owning and controlling access to your audience. 😉 FB is a very risky place to build a community, IMO, because you are 100% beholden on FB to not screw you over for their monetary gain.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Mar 29, 2019 at 10:27:57 pm
Last Edited By Bill Davis on Mar 29, 2019 at 11:09:59 pm

[Andrew Kimery] "I'd be interested in a write up of that project if you had the time."

Nothing I would like more, but as is typical, all the content is client branded stuff, so getting permission to publish all their proprietary brand design property would be a nightmare even if it turned out to be possible at all.

I've actually already had a conversation with the Agency owner because I thought promoting what we were doing for this client could be an EXCELLENT case study for them getting more work of this type - and we kicked around some ideas about creating parallel content using a fictitious brand so as to avoid the IP issues — but that's a good bit of work for the art directors to revise all the pallets, typography and designs and for the copywriters to change the target industry copy all "on spec."

Sigh.

Since you're interested, I'm sure it's OK to post this screen grab since it reveals nothing proprietary. It's a CU of a chunk out of the involved storyline. Blocks of white representing paper. Key luma-keyed knockout templates in grey to contrast the ad size in play with the desktop. Photos and copy that build over time to demonstrate how each part of the communications piece needs to maintain the brand guidelines and what are acceptable deviations. All running over a descriptive narrative. It's been really interesting to break down the brand designers standards, while still allowing sub-agencies and market managers some flexibility to meet their needs to create short term messaging that has the "look and feel" of the brand without needing to go to "home base" for EVERY little decision and approval. Some of my connected clip stacks go up 30-40 levels if I have multiple ads in play on a page with multiple elements each. I'll eventually compound them into groupings, but during the design/assembly phase, I can need to switch-out anything, so discrete units feel currently best. In this situation, Magnetism is totally AWESOME - as the corporate stakeholders change their mind about the order of topics that they need.
It's been a very engaging and interesting project. overall.

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Mar 30, 2019 at 2:41:54 am

[Bill Davis] "Nothing I would like more, but as is typical, all the content is client branded stuff, so getting permission to publish all their proprietary brand design property would be a nightmare even if it turned out to be possible at all.
"

I figured that would be the case, but I felt compelled to ask anyway. It sounds like a very cool project. Thank you for the timeline teaser/snippet. :)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]