FORUMS: list search recent posts

Are You Listening? YouTube Series

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Oliver Peters
Are You Listening? YouTube Series
on Mar 3, 2019 at 6:23:13 pm
Last Edited By Oliver Peters on Mar 3, 2019 at 6:52:48 pm

I realize we are all video folks here ☺ But audio is (or should be) a huge part of what we do. Here's a really good YouTube series put out by iZotope.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL4dISychPQEvW2RRu5BqQUciqm8zBfu7q

And their blog version, if you'd rather read the details.

https://www.izotope.com/en/blog/mastering.html

- Oliver

Oliver Peters - oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
Re: Are You Listening? YouTube Series
on Mar 3, 2019 at 10:17:21 pm
Last Edited By Michael Gissing on Mar 4, 2019 at 1:33:16 am

That was interesting, thanks Oliver. Some good advice which is familiar to people like me but may not be to picture editors.

Ep 1 - Ironically the audio editing and mix/ mastering of this video was poor as was the picture grade. A lot of what is said is music industry specific. Mastering and mixing happen at the same time in the video world so what he is talking about is music specific.

Ep 2 Important points about monitoring consistency. I've used the same amplifier and volume setting and the same speakers for decades. I don't need to look at meters (peak or loudness) when I'm mixing. [Meanwhile the close up still needs grading to match the wide shot]

Ep 3. Firstly the audio is better on this video. They have actually done some compression & EQ so the voice sounds better. Great advice about compressors. Again his settings relate to music with heavy bass. For vocal I always use a fast attack and 80ms release. He is also compressing previously compressed mix. In film mixing I use staged compression. First light compression may be on a specific clip or track. Then another on the sub mix bus (including de ess) and finally on the mix overall. This staged compression controls in steps and helps to envelope the sounds together. Attack and release times are set to the same in the stages so you don't get pumping.
[Wide shot to CU grade is slightly better but the wide is green compared to the CU]

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Mar 4, 2019 at 3:23:57 pm

Agreed on camera matching, but in general, I thought the info was good. Obviously it's a sponsored video designed to market iZotope's Ozone mastering plug-ins, but that doesn't negate the info. I personally would have preferred if he had used more exaggerated settings just to make the differences more obvious over YouTube.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters - oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Mar 4, 2019 at 4:41:05 pm

I think YouTube applies some default audio settings of it's own, which you can't avoid... or correct me if that's inaccurate?

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Mar 4, 2019 at 11:09:08 pm

Agreed Oliver that the info is good. As a music mastering person he is demonstrating the subtle difference of his craft.

Yes to Mark's point about Youtube default encoding, that will make it harder to judge quality but I can hear the EQ and dynamics on his mic. Probably worse if I was watching hi res on my 4k monitor and studio surround system rather than headphones on the a laptop.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]