FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCPX Oscar win

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>

Bill Davis
Re: FCPX Oscar win
on Feb 25, 2019 at 7:52:48 pm

Two for Two now in the short subject live action Oscars for FCP X.

Last year for The Silent Child.

this year for Skin.

Last year out of England.
This year out of Israel. (tho shot in LA.)

Creator of XinTwo - http://www.xintwo.com
The shortest path to FCP X mastery.

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Feb 25, 2019 at 9:17:15 pm

[Bill Davis] "Two for Two now in the short subject live action Oscars for FCP X.

Last year for The Silent Child.

this year for Skin.

Last year out of England.
This year out of Israel. (tho shot in LA.)
"

Great but Apple still won't mention it on their FCPX website

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Feb 25, 2019 at 11:30:07 pm

[Bill Davis] "Two for Two now in the short subject live action Oscars for FCP X.

Which begs the obvious question, which NLE's were used for everything else?

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Feb 26, 2019 at 12:25:07 am

[Michael Gissing] "Which begs the obvious question, which NLE's were used for everything else?"

LOL. Do you really have to ask?

- Oliver

Oliver Peters - oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Feb 26, 2019 at 12:55:11 am

It was a teensy bit tongue in cheek Oliver

Return to posts index

Ben McCarthy
on Feb 26, 2019 at 12:33:04 am

Avid Media Composer most of the time

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Feb 26, 2019 at 1:33:48 am

And as we ALL know, the NLE is the whole reason the films were great. Boy does Avid like to claim that.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Feb 26, 2019 at 3:57:51 am

After failing to shunt the craft awards to the commercial breaks, maybe now is the time to introduce Best NLE.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Feb 26, 2019 at 1:07:14 pm

[Shane Ross] "Boy does Avid like to claim that"

I wouldn't characterize it that way. But, EVERYONE (artists, Avid, ARRI, all the studios, etc) promotes their involvement with an Oscar winner for the exact same reason - it directly or indirectly sells more product.

- Oliver

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Feb 26, 2019 at 1:08:45 pm

[Ben McCarthy] "Avid Media Composer most of the time"

Unless Fincher or Coens have something in the running ☺

- Oliver

Return to posts index

Ben McCarthy
on Feb 26, 2019 at 10:36:23 pm

what do they use (Adobe Premier)?

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Feb 26, 2019 at 10:59:30 pm

[Ben McCarthy] "what do they use (Adobe Premier)?"

Both the Coen Brothers and Fincher editorial teams have used Premiere Pro for the past few films as well as Netflix projects. Final Cut Pro 7 (and earlier) before that.

https://digitalfilms.wordpress.com/2007/12/16/no-country-for-old-men-coen-b...
https://digitalfilms.wordpress.com/2016/03/03/hail-caesar/
https://digitalfilms.wordpress.com/2014/11/07/gone-girl/
https://digitalfilms.wordpress.com/2017/11/04/mindhunter/

- Oliver

Return to posts index

Jay Soriano
on Feb 27, 2019 at 2:43:13 am

Any long form(1hr+) mainstream features cut in FCPX?

Return to posts index

Neil Goodman
on Feb 27, 2019 at 2:45:01 am

a couple Focus Feature films. Whiskey Fox Trot and some other one I cant remember.

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Feb 27, 2019 at 7:50:05 am

[Neil Goodman] "a couple Focus Feature films. Whiskey Fox Trot and some other one I cant remember."

"Focus". ;)

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Feb 27, 2019 at 5:15:51 pm

Of course there are others, but it just made me chuckle that Neil could remember that Focus Features distributed a couple of those films, but couldn't recall that "Focus" was the name of one of the features from Focus Features. ;)

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Feb 27, 2019 at 7:04:34 pm

[Andrew Kimery] "but couldn't recall that "Focus""

He just wasn't able to focus in on it ☺

- Oliver

Return to posts index

Jay Soriano
on Feb 28, 2019 at 2:47:50 am

Ok seems FCPX is very capable of cutting features. So what type of projects is FCPX not good for?

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Feb 28, 2019 at 3:24:25 am

[Jay Soriano] "Ok seems FCPX is very capable of cutting features. So what type of projects is FCPX not good for?"

Well yes, it's capable. And, in fact, capable of any type of production. It's just a matter of taste and style, because working FCPX is different than all other NLEs.

However, I do feel that very complex features, where you might have as many as 15 editors/assistants/VFX working in the exact same project file, are still very much the domain of Avid Media Composer. Doing that with FCPX or Premiere is possible, but the solutions are all just workarounds so far. Neither Apple nor Adobe nor BMD have cracked that nut successfully.

- Oliver

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Feb 28, 2019 at 4:49:59 pm

[Neil Goodman] "Its funny because I thought that was the name but then couldnt bring myself to believe I was correct because A movie called Focus, made by a company named Focus Films sounded like something Id come up with while I was stoned ☺"

lol

[Oliver Peters] "Well yes, it's capable. And, in fact, capable of any type of production. It's just a matter of taste and style, because working FCPX is different than all other NLEs.

However, I do feel that very complex features, where you might have as many as 15 editors/assistants/VFX working in the exact same project file, are still very much the domain of Avid Media Composer. Doing that with FCPX or Premiere is possible, but the solutions are all just workarounds so far. Neither Apple nor Adobe nor BMD have cracked that nut successfully."

Right. "Can I use NLE XYZ to cut a feature" is the wrong question because pretty much an NLE can be pressed into service given enough time and work arounds (ex. the award winning doc "Tarnation" was cut in iMovie). The better question to ask is, "What's the best NLE to use to cut a feature given my specific budget, time and workflow requirements".

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Feb 28, 2019 at 7:19:45 pm

[Andrew Kimery] "The better question to ask is, "What's the best NLE to use to cut a feature given my specific budget, time and workflow requirements"."

There's another aspect to this. Both Adobe and Avid have been conscientiously engaging the film community in an official capacity for years. Apple quit doing that a while ago. They have shown up at some key events, but have largely left that direct interaction to other parties. It certainly affects the perception of Apple's apps as to whether they are just for advanced individuals or actual enterprise-level pro projects.

- Oliver

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Feb 28, 2019 at 8:50:12 pm

[Oliver Peters] "There's another aspect to this. Both Adobe and Avid have been conscientiously engaging the film community in an official capacity for years. Apple quit doing that a while ago. They have shown up at some key events, but have largely left that direct interaction to other parties. It certainly affects the perception of Apple's apps as to whether they are just for advanced individuals or actual enterprise-level pro projects."

While this is totally accurate on it's face, there's perhaps another dimension to the question.

Given that the overwhelming cadre of "experienced feature film editors" have universally been using one dominant workflow for decades now (The evolving Avid Media Composer Workflow) it's fair to ask whether ANY sort of workflow innovation that challenges the existing standards will EVER organically emerge specifically from those practitioners.

We've seen the same thing time and time again. Editors saying "give me new capabilities BUT ONLY if you don't disrupt the processes I have come to rely on to do my job."

Whatever else you think about it. FCP X took a different path. One of tossing out quite a few of the older assumptions of how an NLE should be structured in order to be more efficient and to remove existing friction in lots of it fundamental operations.

Each editor must judge for him or herself whether the X approach is attractive enough to cause them to learn and adopt the new processes and thinking.

But here we are, coming onto 8 years along - and this thread proves that some individuals that elected to adopt the new processes are having success with this tool - in exactly the same way that plenty of editors are obviously still having plenty of success holding to the classic industry workflows.

So the only thing sure is that those who thought that the X way of editing was going to be incapable of enabling editors to succeed at the highest levels of the industry were patently WRONG.

It's just now how things worked out.

Creator of XinTwo - http://www.xintwo.com
The shortest path to FCP X mastery.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Feb 28, 2019 at 8:58:54 pm

[Bill Davis] "Whatever else you think about it. FCP X took a different path. One of tossing out quite a few of the older assumptions of how an NLE should be structured in order to be more efficient and to remove existing friction in lots of it fundamental operations. "

Agreed on all points. However, Apple originally evangelized the product and FCP before that. But for whatever reason - maybe lack of success in this space or maybe change of management's focus - they have since backed away. I don't think that helps the people who do feel it's useful in the film post space.

- Oliver

Return to posts index

Neil Goodman
on Mar 1, 2019 at 2:56:32 am

[Bill Davis] "So the only thing sure is that those who thought that the X way of editing was going to be incapable of enabling editors to succeed at the highest levels of the industry were patently WRONG. "

Yes and No.

NO, because those jobs in the highest levels of the industry where I live dont exist, so somewhat incapable. But YES in the sense that X isnt going to hold you back from producing content at the highest levels. There are just simply no jobs for it here so unless you re making your own way - its simply not an option.

Return to posts index

Neil Goodman
on Feb 28, 2019 at 2:40:45 am

[Andrew Kimery] "Of course there are others, but it just made me chuckle that Neil could remember that Focus Features distributed a couple of those films, but couldn't recall that "Focus" was the name of one of the features from Focus Features. 😉

"

Its funny because I thought that was the name but then couldnt bring myself to believe I was correct because A movie called Focus, made by a company named Focus Films sounded like something Id come up with while I was stoned ☺

Return to posts index

greg janza
on Mar 4, 2019 at 2:51:57 am

This is always a ridiculous idea.

No one cares what NLE was used to make any film. The only folks who find it interesting are the marketing teams at Avid and Adobe.

Tallmanproductions.net |

Return to posts index

Ronny Courtens
on Mar 4, 2019 at 11:22:59 am

No one cares what NLE was used to make any film. The only folks who find it interesting are the marketing teams at Avid and Adobe.

I agree. This article just expresses the feelings of a very seasoned editor about why he exclusively uses FCP X for all his work, which he explains in much detail.

And our viewers love these stories. This case study is by far the most popular one we have ever posted on FCP.co, more than doubling the number of viewers of the case studies we published about movies like Focus and Whiskey Tango Foxtrot. So I think it is pretty relevant to keep publishing these, you may expect quite a few more of them in the coming weeks.

- Ronny

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]