FORUMS: list search recent posts

New Macbook Pro advice

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bob Sims
New Macbook Pro advice
on Feb 13, 2019 at 1:54:47 pm

Hi Folks.

Looking for advice on specs for a new Macbook Pro (processor, RAM, hard drive size, graphics card, etc.).

Main uses:

Lots of Photoshop
A fair amount of FCP
Some After Effects
Some audio editing, using various programs

(And there will be some simultaneous use of programs.)

None of the above has to be super-pro, since it's all still on a hobby level, although I'm soon planning to start delving into photo/video work as a side business.

Advice I've gotten so far:

1. Don't worry about hard drive size, since you can just work off an external one, at roughly the same speed
2. Unless you have to get things rendered quickly, don't worry about processor upgrade
3. Upgrade RAM whenever possible
4. Get a graphics card upgrade

One person said "Always go for the best you can afford in all areas (processor, RAM, etc.)."
Someone else disagreed, saying "Unless you have money to burn (I don't), the basic Macbook Pro is fine."

Thank you.

Rob

Return to posts index

Tero Ahlfors
Re: New Macbook Pro advice
on Feb 13, 2019 at 2:02:28 pm

Spend as much money as possible because you can't upgrade it later.

Return to posts index

Jay Soriano
on Feb 13, 2019 at 2:32:08 pm

I'm in the same situation as you. MBP 15" since I need portability. Sweet spot is the i7 2.6. Adding Vega 20 since its only a $300 upgrade and that much better vs 560X. Definitely 32GB RAM since you will not be able to upgrade this later. AE is a RAM hog. Everything else standard.

Return to posts index

Ronny Courtens
on Feb 13, 2019 at 5:51:31 pm

I agree with Jay. And you don't need to upgrade a MacBook Pro. You get the configuration that fits best for your current workflows, you write it off in the first year, and even after two years you still can sell it second-hand at a very decent price. Then you buy the next configuration that fits best for your latest workflows, a.s.o. This way, you always have recent hardware that will be compatible with the latest OS or whatever new things that technology brings us, and you don't have to fiddle with anything.

- Ronny

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Feb 13, 2019 at 6:36:08 pm

[Ronny Courtens] "and even after two years you still can sell it second-hand at a very decent price. "

Try doing that with a PC laptop! This is why I don't mind paying more for my Macs, I've ALWAYS got a great price for them when I sell to upgrade.

Return to posts index

Tom Sefton
on Feb 14, 2019 at 8:35:43 am

I paid for someone to refurb my knackered 2012 retina MacBook Pro after my efforts failed. Got £400 for it. Amazing.

Co-owner at Pollen Studio
http://www.pollenstudio.co.uk

Return to posts index

Bernard Newnham
on Feb 19, 2019 at 5:10:16 pm

Current 15-inch MacBook Pro seems to be £2,349.00.

Rather you than me!

Bernie

Return to posts index

Tom Sefton
on Feb 20, 2019 at 10:29:13 pm

Yep. Was about £3300 with config I went for. Pretty darn quick.

Return to posts index

Bernard Newnham
on Feb 22, 2019 at 8:35:07 pm

No wonder Apple is the richest company in the world. I wonder what the profit margin on your machine was?

Bernie

Return to posts index

Tom Sefton
on Mar 4, 2019 at 1:12:19 pm

pretty high I would guess.

But there again, if all my clients started getting annoyed because I made good profits, there wouldn't be much point in being in business.

The last MacBook I had was 7 years old when it gave up the ghost. I had it repaired and sold it for almost £450. I've never had a PC in the past that held any value other than scrap, or the removal of a hard drive from the inside.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]