FORUMS: list search recent posts

Long time for Camera Archive load

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
William Skaggs
Long time for Camera Archive load
on Jul 12, 2011 at 8:35:03 pm

I made a Final Cut Pro X camera archive (about 56 GB in size) and stored this on my FIrewire 800 portable external drive (Iomega Go). Whenever I try to import the archive to get clips for my Events folder it takes forever to load. Is this normal just because of the size? Would I be better off just making several small size archives from the same camcorder (assuming this can be done)?

Thanks

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: Long time for Camera Archive load
on Jul 12, 2011 at 9:15:13 pm

Full system specs?
Amount of RAM?

How long is "long?"

Return to posts index

William Skaggs
on Jul 12, 2011 at 10:24:50 pm

Late 2009 iMac with intel Core i7 processor @ 2.8 GHz with 12 GB RAM.

Takes probably at least 10 minutes or more to load the archive from my external drive.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jul 12, 2011 at 9:16:41 pm

What kind of media and why did you make an archive if you aren't archiving it?

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Jul 12, 2011 at 9:46:33 pm

Doesn't sound unheard of- that's a big archive. I'd just suggest bringing in everything once instead of going back to it. And if it's a format that requires transcoding- there you go with why compounded by your specs.

Noah

Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Panasonic GH2 and GoPro HD Hero.

Return to posts index

William Skaggs
on Jul 12, 2011 at 10:27:08 pm

AVCHD at 1080i

I made the archive in order to clear space off the camera hard drive.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jul 12, 2011 at 11:00:40 pm

OK. Backup/Arcuve and import are two (best if they are three) process. Import, archive, and backup.

What you should do is archive the footage off of the camera drive. I recommend using something like Shotput Pro for that. It should go onto a permanent archive hard drive that is separate from your camera drive and your FCP edit drive. Once thats done, you then import the footage to FCP from your archive drive to you FCP hard drive. During this process, make sure to transcode the footage to Quicktime, and add to whatever event you want. The process to do this is named weirdly in FCPX. You click on the import from camera, then you click archive. Point it at your archive drive and import what you want

Make sense?

Return to posts index

William Skaggs
on Jul 13, 2011 at 1:08:39 am

yes it does, thanks

One question, however. Can I use the create camera archive function in FCPX instead of Shotput Pro to make the archive drive?

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jul 13, 2011 at 2:54:41 am

[William Skaggs] "Can I use the create camera archive function in FCPX instead of Shotput Pro to make the archive drive?"

It's an option, but not the best. Shotput Pro has verification and more features.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Jul 13, 2011 at 4:20:10 pm

Also Camera Archives are for FCP X only- if you need to interchange with other NLE's it's better to make your own archive via an application such as Shotput or simply via the Finders. That said- hard drive space is insanely cheap these days and processing AVCHD footage is intensely time-consuming. Do yourself a big favor and bulk up on more hard drives.

Noah

Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Panasonic GH2 and GoPro HD Hero.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]