FORUMS: list search recent posts

Red and Nvidias joint project is coming soon

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tom Sefton
Red and Nvidias joint project is coming soon
on Dec 14, 2018 at 6:16:02 pm

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.engadget.com/amp/2018/12/13/nvidia-and-r...

Work at high resolutions with red cameras? Things are going to get much much faster for you.

Unless you are on a Mac.

Co-owner at Pollen Studio
http://www.pollenstudio.co.uk

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
Re: Red and Nvidias joint project is coming soon
on Dec 15, 2018 at 1:10:24 am
Last Edited By Michael Gissing on Dec 15, 2018 at 1:28:17 am

Looks like the Red Rocket card will no longer be a product. If an RTX card can replace it at a much cheaper price I can't see why the Red Rocket will sell.

The only flaw in the article's argument is it doesn't explain how you can do 8k on cheaper hardware without acknowledging the needs of big fast drives and TB3/ USB-c as mandatory. At least the tech is available now but it's not exactly 'for the masses'.

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Dec 16, 2018 at 3:12:18 pm

Hi Michael -
I always get a kick out of articles like what Tom posted. It reminds me of the original FCP add, that showed a complex edit suite, and the copy of the ad said "The $50,000 edit suite, now $995". Giving the impression that all you needed was a copy of FCP, and don't worry about all that other equipment in the picture (which I believe had a Sony Digi Beta in the image) - all you need is $995.
Same with this Red/NVidia story. Yea, just grab your old Windows XP computer that you got at Best Buy that's been sitting in your basement, pop in the new NVidia card, and now you can do 8K editing. No concern about the computer, CPU processing, RAM, power supply, monitor, RAID array (which should be SSD's or M.2 SATA) - nnnaaaah - don't worry about that - just get the NVidia card and you will be fine.

Just like the posts we see like "How come I can't play back this 4K multiclip job on my MacBook Air".

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Return to posts index

Tom Sefton
on Dec 16, 2018 at 3:43:58 pm

I think the key takeaway aside from actual spec is that with a HP Z4 single processor system, and a single nvidia quadro GPU, real-time playback of 8K footage is possible. Accelerated performance for lower resolutions.

On Mac OS, until we see either a new Mac Pro, or support for nvidia, it isn’t possible.

It’s a massive consideration for us due to the amount of work using Red.

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Dec 16, 2018 at 10:54:22 pm

Totally Bob. So many other bottlenecks for 8K. What I read from the article is that if I was a post house with grunty computers and doing lots of r3d footage, I might pop a second RTX Titan card in the box instead of a Red Rocket to save $3000+ and get the same result.

I'm currently specing for a new computer that will be capable of 8k even though I'm not expecting to need it just yet. So it's on my radar and this info does help to inform me about the slots, cooling & power supply I will need.

Return to posts index

Tom Sefton
on Dec 17, 2018 at 2:39:40 am

Just to be clear, red rocket and red rocket x do not give anywhere near real-time playback for 8K footage even at 24 FPS. The red rocket x card was over $6000 new, so far more than a 2080Ti.

Most post houses being delivered red footage would have external 10Ge or thunderbolt 2/3 raids for disk speed. The ability to decode 8K footage on the fly with the gpu is enormous.

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
on Dec 17, 2018 at 4:29:49 pm

[Michael Gissing] "Looks like the Red Rocket card will no longer be a product."

Most of us old and new stopped using those things.
I could scream but the two I have paid for itself considering they total to a Honda Civic :P

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Dec 18, 2018 at 9:31:42 pm

Just as an FYI - GPU debayering does not look identical to CPU debayering. Not necessarily better or worse, but different. Full debayer on a Red Rocket card was visibly different than render-based results. I don't know if that's better with Nvidia, but I doubt it.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters - oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]