FORUMS: list search recent posts

macOS firewall and FCPX

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Oliver Peters
macOS firewall and FCPX
on Oct 26, 2018 at 9:54:10 pm

What's the consensus here about the built-in macOS firewall and FCPX? Especially when connected to SAN/NAS storage. Enable or disable? If enabled - block all connections or fine-tune the settings?

- Oliver

Oliver Peters - oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Doug Metz
Re: macOS firewall and FCPX
on Oct 26, 2018 at 10:28:54 pm

I've got the firewall on - unchecked Block all / checked Automatically allow built-in to receive / checked Allow signed / checked Stealth mode.

No issues with Synology NAS (AFP / SMB / iSCSI). At least, nothing to do with the firewall. SMB has been unreliable and slow, so I don't typically use it.

Doug Metz

Anode

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Oct 26, 2018 at 11:20:38 pm

Thanks. Are you finding AFP to be better with FCPX?

Oliver

Oliver Peters - oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Doug Metz
on Oct 29, 2018 at 4:24:29 pm

I did some fairly extensive tests on our internal network after purchasing the Synology, and at the time, SMB was half the speed of AFP. I tried turning off packet signing, changing a few other settings that should have helped, but couldn't get anything near gigabit so I've left it on AFP.

Other info - Synology DS1010+ with expansion chassis DX510 - each box is a volume (1 normal share, 1 iSCSI block-level volume) - SNS globalSAN initiator on 2 workstations - ethernet ports bonded - RAID5 - jumbo frames enabled

Due to age, this combo will be retired this year. Synology doesn't support it anymore and the last DSM version available doesn't support macOS auto-saving, which causes hard crashes when trying to open and edit files remotely. The SMB implementation also seems to conflict with current versions of the macOS implementation. File copy is still okay, but it really needs to go.

Doug Metz

Anode

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]