FORUMS: list search recent posts

And Desktop Adobe Rush overview from the "Premiere" FCPX site ;)

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Craig Seeman
And Desktop Adobe Rush overview from the "Premiere" FCPX site ;)
on Oct 15, 2018 at 7:51:30 pm
Last Edited By Craig Seeman on Oct 15, 2018 at 8:14:18 pm

http://www.fcp.co/final-cut-pro/articles/2120-first-look-adobe-rush

And an oops on Adobe and ProRes RAW

In other Adobe news, the first updates showed that Premiere now supported ProRes RAW. That information has since been removed from the web page. A mistake or a hint of what is to come? You decide.

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
Re: And Desktop Adobe Rush overview from the "Premiere" FCPX site ;)
on Oct 15, 2018 at 8:17:57 pm

Didn't realise there was a desktop version too - downloading it now for a play :)

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Oct 15, 2018 at 11:26:19 pm

The strategy is start on a mobile device and finish on the desktop (if desired), using Creative Cloud syncing in-between. I haven't tested it, but you are also supposed to be able to open a Rush project in Premiere Pro, too.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters - oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Oct 16, 2018 at 1:21:36 am

So open iMovie files in FCP X brought forward 2 years or so?

Welcome aboard, Adobe!

Creator of XinTwo - http://www.xintwo.com
The shortest path to FCP X mastery.

Return to posts index

Neil Goodman
on Oct 16, 2018 at 2:13:06 am

[Bill Davis] "So open iMovie files in FCP X brought forward 2 years or so?

Welcome aboard, Adobe!
"

almost too predictable at this point.

Return to posts index

Scott Witthaus
on Oct 16, 2018 at 5:20:50 pm

[Neil Goodman] "almost too predictable at this point."

But Bill is oh-so-correct. So now Adobe-fan-folk are saying the YouTube and skateboard video crowd ARE important? Isn't that what people laughed off in the "iMovie Pro" days. Now, lets wait for the justifications..."it's not the same because..."

And what he says is also correct that iMovie/FCPX has had this for a while? Groundbreaking from Adobe? You decide.

Maybe the Cow will have a "Project Rush: The Debate" forum?

;-)

Scott Witthaus
Visual Storyteller - FCPX, Premiere
https://vimeo.com/channels/1322525
Managing Partner, Low Country Creative LLC
Professor, VCU Brandcenter

Return to posts index

Neil Goodman
on Oct 17, 2018 at 2:09:49 am

[Scott Witthaus] "But Bill is oh-so-correct. So now Adobe-fan-folk are saying the YouTube and skateboard video crowd ARE important? Isn't that what people laughed off in the "iMovie Pro" days. Now, lets wait for the justifications..."it's not the same because..."

And what he says is also correct that iMovie/FCPX has had this for a while? Groundbreaking from Adobe? You decide.
"

No one is saying he isnt corrct - just super childlike in his immediate reaction to try and call out Adobe for trying to mingle in that market. Thats all.

Also calling out a feature like backward compatibility or forward capatibility or whatever you call this. Any app new app is going to have this.

So again, no one saying his statements arent somewhat correct - just the message behind them - is getting super old. My 2 cents.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Oct 17, 2018 at 3:05:48 am

[Neil Goodman] "No one is saying he isnt corrct - just super childlike in his immediate reaction to try and call out Adobe for trying to mingle in that market. Thats all. "

At my age, being called “childlike” is a super compliment!

So thank you.

Sincerely.

(Oh, and I was actually PRAISING Adobe for some forward looking thinking in Rush.)

That’s exactly what has been missing IMO, in the past few years - as they pretty much have focused on being FCP Legacy Version 8.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Oct 17, 2018 at 8:19:01 pm

Still funny, though:-)

Return to posts index

Dennis Radeke
on Oct 16, 2018 at 1:39:59 pm
Last Edited By Dennis Radeke on Oct 16, 2018 at 1:43:03 pm

Welcome aboard, Adobe!"

You sound strident and a bit lost when you say things like this.

I could list all of the things that other editors have copied from Premiere Pro, but we generally take the high road and more to the point, this isn't Adobe imitating an iMovie to FCX workflow.

Adobe is offering a new tool and workflow to creatives, especially those without deep editing chops to make story creation easier.

I get it, you like FCX. As a matter of fact, I think we all get it.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Oct 16, 2018 at 9:59:29 pm

[Dennis Radeke] "You sound strident and a bit lost when you say things like this.
"

Not strident AT ALL.

In fact, I’ve been trying to Praise Adobe’s direction in other boards as I see this as the first major step in Adobe’s adding to their movie/tv show paradigm of the past with pivoting more toward modern web based content creation tools.

To the extent it quotes ideas in X so what? Presumably those will help real editors edit more efficiently and that’s a net benefit.

I think this serves their customers VERY WELL.

And Adobe should be praised for looking forward in this.

Sadly, what I’ve mostly seen on the “professional” editing boards are Premiere Pro editors doing EXACTLY what FCP Legacy editors did when FCP X was released. Bitching that it’s “not what we wanted!!!) and “so this is why Legacy hasn’t been updated fast enough!) and similar things that miss the larger point.

Adobe is investing time and resources coding solutions for where things are going, not just for where they used to be.

Good for them.

Return to posts index

Andy Field
on Oct 16, 2018 at 7:48:32 pm

actually Adobe seems to be expanding it's base - not telling it's loyal base to take a hike

Andy Field
FieldVision Productions
N. Bethesda, Maryland 20852

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on Oct 16, 2018 at 9:42:03 pm

Bill,

With all due respect I find your post a bit childish and immature in nature. We all get the fact you love Final Cut Pro X. That’s not the point. The point is belittling others and Adobe is way below the belt. I might not use their new products but I do have an open mind. I don’t agree with the subscription only "option" but it is nice to see Adobe going forward with innovative products and services. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. I am cool with that. I am not cool when others get belittled in the process.

Just so everyone knows I am not aiming my post at Bill or others. I love to see a healthy debate but not the snob, snarky, degrading and snide remarks.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Oct 16, 2018 at 10:11:03 pm
Last Edited By Bill Davis on Oct 16, 2018 at 10:11:25 pm

See my above post.

It was NOT intended to come across as more than gentle ribbing.

As I’ve written extensively elsewhere I think this is an excellent move on Adobe’s part that will serve their future editors well.

Establishing a new approach that jettisons some of the past thinking and sets up an approach more aligned with the FUTURE is precisely what Apple did 7 years ago with X.

Good for Adobe doing the same thing.

I know there are LOTS of editors worried that trying to run on two tracks - maintaining PPro fir the legacy editors while developing the new program simultaneously will impede one or the other - but my opinion has ALWAYS been that the future holds more promise than the past.

And good for Adobe for making the commitment to do more than just continuing to follow the same old traditional tracks (pun intended)

Seriously. Bravo Adobe. I Welcome your turning more attention toward the future.

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on Oct 16, 2018 at 10:28:32 pm

I just had a bad day and took your post the wrong way. I sincerely apologize to Bill and everyone. Perhaps it is time for me to take a break from the COW to refresh.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Oct 16, 2018 at 10:44:01 pm

We all sometimes get testy and over-react.

Consider it forgotten.

Take care.

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
on Oct 17, 2018 at 9:13:09 pm

[Bill Davis] "Establishing a new approach that jettisons some of the past thinking and sets up an approach more aligned with the FUTURE is precisely what Apple did 7 years ago with X."

Yes, but Adobe manged to do this without killing off Premiere.

So I guess it's possible.

How un-apple.

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions
---------------------------
nothin' attached to nothin'
"Deciding the spine is the process of editing" F. Bieberkopf

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Oct 18, 2018 at 7:07:42 pm

That is true, Herb.

But most of the criticism I’ve seen of the release from traditional editors has centered on the idea that Adobe should be concentrating their efforts on bolstering the main software, NOT wasting their time on innovating new products for “non-pros.”

I suspect that they can do both, but we’ll see how things shake out.

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
on Oct 18, 2018 at 7:48:24 pm

[Bill Davis] "most of the criticism I’ve seen of the release from traditional editors has centered on the idea that Adobe should be concentrating their efforts on bolstering the main software, NOT wasting their time on innovating new products for “non-pros.”"

My oh my, do you have the wrong company paradigm in mind.

Unlike Apple, Adobe is a software company and they are constantly creating software that's got nothing to do with anything video editors want, all the while maintaining a serious upgrade schedule for those who do.

As I open up my Creative Cloud account I see 24 different programs in the CC suite.

I regularly use 5 of them, all of which are getting constant upgrades. (Never bug free, but that's a different story.)

There's another 5 that I might use occasionally and then a whole mess of others that are a complete mystery to me and probably always will be.

Apparently Adobe has no problems doing more than one thing at a time. Maybe that's because software is all they do.

Whatever the reason , anyone who works with Adobe products understands that Crush is no threat to Premiere's development.

But you wouldn't understand that, because you have no experience outside the Apple bubble.

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Oct 18, 2018 at 8:18:50 pm

I think there are some key differences.

iMovie was developed purely as a home video editor and never designed for the YouTube/Instagram "influencer". FCPX, OTOH, was developed as a next-gen variant targeting that level, along with cross-over into the traditional broadcast/film/corporate editing market.

In the interim, Adobe has had the benefit of seeing that market (the Youtube/Instagram "influencer") evolve and grow. Therefore, there's a business case to be made for Rush - a tool designed for that user, as well as the upper end home user. This is still a very distinctly different market than the one Premiere Pro addresses.

So, until business models drastically change, Adobe can certainly plug along developing two different products, without the need for one to kill off the other.

- Oliver

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Oct 19, 2018 at 5:22:32 pm

[Herb Sevush] "But you wouldn't understand that, because you have no experience outside the Apple bubble."

But Herb, this wasn't MY criticism, as I noted.

It's what I've been reading on outside forums focused on working editors who DO use programs like Premiere Pro.

I have no deep knowledge of how Adobe's ecosystem functions for it's users. So all I can do is read what others who do use that system post on-line.

And if you haven't run into those who are upset that they think resources MIGHT have been diverted from PPro in the building of RUSH, (THEIR suspicion not mine, to be clear) then I don't know what to say.

We've seen Apple and AVID get EXACTLY the same criticism over and over again. ALL editors are unhappy when they get a whiff that some company might not be prioritizing what THEY prefer them to prioritize over all else. It's human nature.

This is just the same. That's all.

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
on Oct 19, 2018 at 7:04:18 pm

[Bill Davis] " ALL editors are unhappy when they get a whiff that some company might not be prioritizing what THEY prefer them to prioritize over all else. It's human nature."

Absolutely. Every time I see Adobe adding features to Premiere for stereo or 360 I get pissed. "What about me" I cry into the endless dark night. What about my needs, my wants, my secret desires (I'm getting a little carried away now.)

But I don't spend a second thinking about time spent by Adobe on developing apps like XDCC or Spark or any of the dozen other apps they are working on that I have no use for. And as far as I'm concerned Rush just makes it a Baker's dozen because it doesn't intersect with my world any more than iMovie does.

As for other editor's opinions, well as someone once said, you can't fix stupid.

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Oct 18, 2018 at 3:47:21 am
Last Edited By Andrew Kimery on Oct 18, 2018 at 2:54:19 pm

Welcome aboard, Adobe!"

Adobe Premiere Clip (2014) did this before iMovie and Avid Studio (or was it called Pinnacle Studio?) did this years before either of them.

EDIT:
Adobe may have a first here, when Rush is released for Android in 2019 I think it will be the first NLE that will cross-compatible on Windows, Mac, iOs and Android. iMovie/X is obviously Mac only, and Avid/Pinnacle Studio was on iOS and Android but projects could only be shared to PCs, not Macs. Also, Rush projects will seamlessly/update transfer between all four platforms (assuming your media is stored in the Cloud) where as the other programs are designed for more of a one way, one time hand off.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Oct 18, 2018 at 7:32:46 pm

[Andrew Kimery] "Adobe Premiere Clip (2014) did this before iMovie and Avid Studio (or was it called Pinnacle Studio?) did this years before either of them."

In 1995, Avid introduced Avid Cinema...when Apple was in the PERFORMA phase. I worked at Apple then, in tech support, and was the guy who these calls were sent to because I cut on Avid in college. Didn't last long, 1 year. But yeah, Avid made a consumer version WELL BEFORE iMovie. Yeah, it failed... but so did the Newton!

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Oct 18, 2018 at 7:44:00 pm

Shane,

I think Bill was referring to the iOS version of iMovie since X has always been able to import projects from he desktop version.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Oct 18, 2018 at 10:49:44 pm

[Andrew Kimery] "I think Bill was referring to the iOS version of iMovie since X has always been able to import projects from he desktop version."

Roger dodger...I forget that exists

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Oct 18, 2018 at 7:26:33 pm

[Bill Davis] "So open iMovie files in FCP X brought forward 2 years or so?"

Yeah, but iMovie doesn't do timecode, or reel number...doesn't deal with professional codecs. Was, and is, extremely consumer oriented. If you captured and cut in iMovie, and wanted to go back and bring the footage in again with a better codec? Manually overcutting is your only option. Zero metadata linking it to the camera masters

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Dennis Radeke
on Oct 16, 2018 at 1:34:25 pm

[Oliver Peters] "The strategy is start on a mobile device and finish on the desktop"

I would edit it to say, "The strategy is to create, edit and deliver with whatever device you prefer or have handy."

Return to posts index

Tero Ahlfors
on Oct 16, 2018 at 5:24:00 pm

It looks really neat. I probably won't work in projects that would have any use for it though.

Return to posts index

Neil Goodman
on Oct 18, 2018 at 3:55:19 am

what Im finding funny is that for the last 7 years, users of X have been aggressively trying to get the general public to look at it as more than a beginners and youtube program.

Now their comparing it to an app clearly aimed at beginners and saying, look they copied us. Cant win. 😉

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Oct 18, 2018 at 2:53:07 pm

BTW - make sure you check the system requirements before diving in - especially with iOS.

https://helpx.adobe.com/rush/system-requirements.html

- Oliver

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Oct 18, 2018 at 7:17:50 pm

[Neil Goodman] "Now their comparing it to an app clearly aimed at beginners and saying, look they copied us. Cant win. 😉"

Not actually comparing the software - comparing the arc of the development effort.

Famously, Randy Ubillos “pencil sketched” sone if his initial magnetic and editorial ideas for iMovie - thinking of it as a feeder” software for FCP itself

Jobs equally famously said THATS the next iMovie.

Those fundamental ideas got expanded and leveraged into X - Now Apples flagship editor for ALL classes of editors, from event folk to movie folk.

It’s not impossible to conceive that Rush might develop along the same lines over the next half decade.

We’ll see.

Return to posts index

Neil Goodman
on Oct 19, 2018 at 3:33:02 am

[Bill Davis] "Not actually comparing the software - comparing the arc of the development effort.
"

That winky face indicates that Im making a joke, but thanks for that little bit of apple history that IVE never heard before. 😉

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Oct 19, 2018 at 5:30:15 pm

[Neil Goodman] "That winky face indicates that Im making a joke, but thanks for that little bit of apple history that IVE never heard before. 😉
"

How clever of you to address the form, but not the substance of what I wrote. 😉

Which was that if Rush becomes a fresh code base upon which a new Adobe Editorial platform might someday develop (in EXACTLY the same way the iMove re-built code base became the initial digital scaffolding upon which FCP X was constructed) that might bode well for Adobe editors.

Or not. Nobody knows.

THAT was my point. Not what was "jokey" enough to be taken seriously or not.
😁

Return to posts index

Neil Goodman
on Oct 19, 2018 at 5:38:39 pm

[Bill Davis] "How clever of you to address the form, but not the substance of what I wrote. 😉"

Its code base was built ontop of premiere pro according to others in this thread.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Oct 19, 2018 at 5:49:13 pm

[Neil Goodman] "Its code base was built ontop of premiere pro according to others in this thread."

On top, doesn't mean "on top of the entire PPro code base" tho.

Oliver posted the hardware and software restrictions that RUSH requires you to meet. And they are a pretty clear indication that the program relies on technology that does NOT try to maintain the type of backwards compatibility that professional desktop users (notoriously slow to upgrade things) prize in order to run their older generation applications.

I can't think of a starker division in how Adobe sees Rush.

It's a lighter, cleaner, fresh, approach, that uses what it can from the old program — and I'm SURE attempts to maintain as much overall compatibility as possible — but also DOES NOT try to keep doing the same things the same way their old software does things.

If RUSH is just a interface re-work on the same code, there would be no reason it's requirements would be different from those of it's parent.

But they are.

So SOMETHING under the hood has obviously been eliminated or changed which the old approach needed, but that the new approach does not.

That seems kinda obvious to me. Not to you?

Return to posts index

Kevin Monahan
on Oct 27, 2018 at 1:50:49 am

Things I like. It's fast. It's simple. It's synched on all mobile devices and my desktop app at once. The projects are available on all devices as soon as their media can be uploaded. You can work locally too, if you like. I can make .mogrt files in Premiere Pro to customize and personalize mobile edits. I can import the project to Premiere Pro intact to add things that aren't available on Rush: LUTs, effects, .mogrts from After Effects, animated elements, etc.

Let me know if you have any questions about how you can leverage this cool app to make your life easier. That's the way I'm looking at it.

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
on Oct 19, 2018 at 11:31:25 am

The most interesting thing in the article was this nugget by Phil Hodgetts in the comments section:

"Philip Hodgetts
I think Chris Hocking found that - on desktops anyway - Rush was a wrapper around Premiere Pro CC and not a different (or new) app, just a new interface. That would explain the support."

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Oct 19, 2018 at 3:17:26 pm

Scott Simmons has a good post over at ProVideoColalition talking about who Rush is designed for (Content Creators) an who Rush is not designed for (Video Editors).

https://www.provideocoalition.com/adobe-releases-premiere-rush-the-easy-cro...

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Oct 19, 2018 at 5:16:45 pm

And a lot of changes can take place... over time. Look how long it took even for FCPX to fill many of the holes.
If, as others have indicated, it's built on Premiere Pro, it's possible that years down the road it may be an alternate (not even necessarily a replacement) GUI for editors that grow up with it.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Oct 19, 2018 at 5:36:39 pm

[Craig Seeman] "And a lot of changes can take place... over time. Look how long it took even for FCPX to fill many of the holes.
If, as others have indicated, it's built on Premiere Pro, it's possible that years down the road it may be an alternate (not even necessarily a replacement) GUI for editors that grow up with it."

Bingo.

A way to ween the next generation off aspects of the existing program that are long in the tooth, while preserving what's more modern. While adding in some of the best new interface and operational ideas.

Which is a pretty decent top level analysis of what Apple did with X verses Legacy.

Rethink. Cut away the cruft. Don't try to deliver everything right out of the gate. Test and develop over time. And keep things tight, fast and agile: unlike what you might be working with if you try to keep the ENTIRE construct that you're flagship program represents.

Seems kinda smart to me.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Oct 19, 2018 at 5:52:09 pm

[Bill Davis] "A way to ween the next generation off aspects of the existing program that are long in the tooth, while preserving what's more modern."

Define "long in the tooth".

- Oliver

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Oct 19, 2018 at 5:57:16 pm
Last Edited By Bill Davis on Oct 19, 2018 at 5:58:28 pm

[Oliver Peters] "Define "long in the tooth"."

I don't know. I'm a programming moron. But I might say something like:

Code that can't efficiently leverage the advances in computer science from the most recent half-decade?

Just off the top of my head.

Return to posts index

Tangier Clarke
on Oct 19, 2018 at 8:25:06 pm

While we're on the subject of broadening base, looking forward, "borrowing" ideas from other apps...I just need Apple to implement something like Project FastMask in the next version of Motion (or FCP X but I know that's not likely)...

and get on with it with batch exporting out of FCP X or to Compressor for that matter. I loathe the idea that one day that alone is going to be the new "killer feature".

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Oct 19, 2018 at 9:16:17 pm

[Bill Davis] "Code that can't efficiently leverage the advances in computer science from the most recent half-decade?"

Since you really don't know, you are just being flip and rhetorical. ☺ The truth is that all modern NLEs are written on a code base that allows them to swap out modules as needed. So to say something is long-in-the-tooth, when it relates to code, really doesn't have a lot of meaning.

Of course, yes, if you start from scratch, you can write something completely new and that *might* get to market more quickly than updating modules carefully, while trying to minimally disrupt your user base. But of course, that's also easier to do, when you leave out a lot of the functionality.

I presume, of course, that you think FCPX is written on a more "modern code base" than Media Composer or Premiere Pro. While that may or may not be true, you have to consider that ProApps is also locked into what the macOS team does. This gives them some advantages, by not building in certain functions and leaving it up to the OS to handle. However, because Apple is very compartmentalized internally, it also means they are just as hosed - maybe even more so - when there are last minute changes for which they have little advance warning. That's as compared with others, who, to some extend, have to work at a bit of an abstraction, when it comes to dealing to the OS technology itself.

But I was actually thinking you were referring to the operation of the software or UI.

- Oliver

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Oct 20, 2018 at 2:27:01 pm

I've had a chance to spend some time with the mobile version and I appreciate that it might be handy for "cloud" project, however as a mobile NLE Lumafusion seems easier to use and is more powerful.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Oct 20, 2018 at 4:38:39 pm

[Oliver Peters] "Since you really don't know, you are just being flip and rhetorical. ☺"

But Oliver, on this topic, that's all I'm actually qualified to be!

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Oct 20, 2018 at 4:41:28 pm

[Bill Davis] "But Oliver, on this topic, that's all I'm actually qualified to be!"

- Oliver

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Oct 20, 2018 at 3:14:07 pm

[Bill Davis] "I don't know. I'm a programming moron."

Full stop.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Oct 20, 2018 at 4:40:36 pm

Well, if I get a "full stop." Does that mean others here without advanced CS degrees also get the same?

Just curious.

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Oct 20, 2018 at 11:23:39 pm

[Bill Davis] "Does that mean others here without advanced CS degrees also get the same?"

Having an advanced CS degree is a far cry from simply not being a "programming moron".

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]