FORUMS: list search recent posts

Mac OS Mojave Flaw

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Mathis
Mac OS Mojave Flaw
on Sep 25, 2018 at 4:13:47 pm

This morning while I was doing my usual Facebook group duties this tidbit showed in my notifications:

https://9to5mac.com/2018/09/24/macos-mojave-privacy-flaw/

This is why I strongly recommend waititing before updating. Why was this not brought up during public beta testing? Why did this individual show it was done? Why was the announced after the first non beta version of Mojave became available? While appreciative of the announcement I honestly feel this was not handled appropriately. Thoughts?

Until this flaw is addressed and fixed it is High Sierra for now. Rant over and we now return to our show.

Return to posts index

Scott Witthaus
Re: Mac OS Mojave Flaw
on Sep 26, 2018 at 2:20:10 pm

We just got this from IT:

"On September 24th, Apple released their next operating system they call “Mojave”. Currently it does not meet VCU’s network security standards. It has already been confirmed that it breaks Sophos Antivirus and DDPE, and that’s just the beginning. There is also a Zero Day exploit discovered which can expose your personal data, an exploit which Apple has not yet patched."

Scott Witthaus
Visual Storyteller - FCPX, Premiere
https://vimeo.com/channels/1322525
Managing Partner, Low Country Creative LLC
Professor, VCU Brandcenter

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Sep 26, 2018 at 5:38:07 pm

I don't have a clue how many overall Macs are in use out there - how many of them attempt to stay current regarding their OS - or what percentage have which hardware to support which features.

But that said, there have to be hundreds of millions out there world wide.

So pushing a brand new OS is always GOING to break things for some subset of the global user set.

"Perfect" than ship - is dead EVERYWHERE now - on all platforms.
The new normal is Ship when it appears ready - than iterate towards perfection as the failure cases appear.

Just the new normal.

Creator of XinTwo - http://www.xintwo.com
The shortest path to FCP X mastery.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Sep 26, 2018 at 8:32:12 pm

Software is one of the few things that we buy, which is always broken when we receive it.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters - oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Gabe Strong
on Sep 28, 2018 at 7:31:36 am

Or 'subscribe to' (as opposed to buy) in Adobe's case.......
😏

Gabe Strong
G-Force Productions
http://www.gforcevideo.com

Return to posts index

Andy Field
on Sep 29, 2018 at 5:53:00 pm

Can you imagine giving your clients a "well it's good enough but might break your sale" video?

How is it acceptable to release software with this many flaws? System software bugs can cripple your work and business

Andy Field
FieldVision Productions
N. Bethesda, Maryland 20852

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Sep 30, 2018 at 8:06:29 am

Well, in fairness, it's really easy to do what most of us have always done, which is to hold off on updating until we hear reports of how early adopters are faring - if we have work pending or can't sequester a trial virtual machine in a safe partition.

Most of us are used to only updating our OS after the initial shipping bugs are identified and quashed.

Folks have been dealing with early release caution practices for decades now.

Creator of XinTwo - http://www.xintwo.com
The shortest path to FCP X mastery.

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Sep 30, 2018 at 12:33:09 pm

[Bill Davis] "Most of us are used to only updating our OS after the initial shipping bugs are identified and quashed.

Folks have been dealing with early release caution practices for decades now.
"

Exactly this, ANY version .0 release of software any platform will have bugs.

Return to posts index

Brett Sherman
on Sep 30, 2018 at 1:39:54 pm

[Scott Witthaus] "We just got this from IT:

"On September 24th, Apple released their next operating system they call “Mojave”. Currently it does not meet VCU’s network security standards. It has already been confirmed that it breaks Sophos Antivirus and DDPE, and that’s just the beginning. There is also a Zero Day exploit discovered which can expose your personal data, an exploit which Apple has not yet patched.""

Most IT departments hate Macs. And actually don't know much about them. I would take this with a grain of salt. That "Zero Day exploit" can only be taken advantage of if you manually install an app that uses itt. No it's not great, but honestly you can install a virus on the PC pretty easily too.

This is why our communications department bypasses the IT department and hires our own Mac consultant. That being said there are many reasons to wait at least a month or so before jumping in.

Return to posts index

Scott Witthaus
on Oct 1, 2018 at 4:08:10 pm

[Brett Sherman] "Most IT departments hate Macs. And actually don't know much about them"

We are a bit different. Totally Mac-based program, so there is no hatred for Macs.

[Brett Sherman] "That "Zero Day exploit" can only be taken advantage of if you manually install an app that uses itt. No it's not great, but honestly you can install a virus on the PC pretty easily too.
"

Definitely not great and I appreciated the red-flag.

Scott Witthaus
Visual Storyteller - FCPX, Premiere
https://vimeo.com/channels/1322525
Managing Partner, Low Country Creative LLC
Professor, VCU Brandcenter

Return to posts index

Damiano Galassi
on Sep 28, 2018 at 7:43:59 am

That flaw means that on Mojave the address book is as secure as on High Sierra. It was supposed to be more secure, but whatever. By your logic, you should not use High Sierra or every previous macOS release ever.

Reading comprehension vote: 1-

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]