FORUMS: list search recent posts

Franz Bieberkopf and Apple Talk

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Aindreas Gallagher
Franz Bieberkopf and Apple Talk
on Sep 21, 2018 at 10:07:05 pm

Hey there, mad forum,

I missed the whole shennanigans around the forum name change, not madly up to speed, but Apple Talk feels like it's the end of an era I guess?

I just wanted to say that I had a mad old time here, for a long time, and really this place was quite an oddity I suppose - not least in terms of the utterly raw debate allowed relative to the wider Cow. I just skimmed a set of heavy posts from elder Gods like Ron Lindebloom on this topic, and some lengthy stuff from Tim as well.

I'll say this much: I can remember distinctly the first time I really, really mashed the keyboard here, because I was sitting in my childhood bedroom helping sort stuff out after my father passed away, and, as form of distraction I just started letting rip, probably at Bill Davis realistically, and I felt an illicit thrill at throwing caution to the wind and just going for someone's position on X. And then, well, we all proceeded to generate posts and threads and replies that were at times so long, and so sprawling, that scrolling down them was an odd pleasure unto itself. Some threads were so mad, so neverending, they were these concrete objects you could just keep scrolling down along, catching people's names to figure out where stuff got really hot.

Anyway. It originated out of a very specific moment in time, and we're all wound up editors, and God knows this place lacked gender balance to a degree that boggles the mind, but I kind of treasured it really, because after a while it mutated into this weird space where a ton of interesting conversations took place. Jeremy Garchow always struck me as basically the epitome of a bulwark editor, and I can still clearly recall his avatar, that of his doughty dog, occasionally in fish bowl lens. I always felt I was bullshitting relative to his actual dedication to task, and understanding of it. David Lawrence, quelle surprise, had a recurring tendency to say some of the smartest stuff I've ever read, on any forum, about the basic nature and task of editing. Tim Wilson listened to more of my bullshit than any human has a right to expect. And Simon Ubsdell's level of knowledge quietly terrifies me, and let's be real, everyone knows what I'm talking about there.

But Franz Bieberkopf, in the forum's heyday - and really, everything has its season - but the periodic presence of Franz Bieberkopf, basically alone in having a nomme de guerre, in a forum that was distinguished by people throwing brickbats solidly under their given name (let's all have a democracy twitter LOL for that one) - I just sort of adored the presence of Franz Bieberkopf. He threw up some of the most interesting stuff, on the regular, I have ever come across in any channel on editing. You were just having a good time in those back and forths.

Anyway. The first time I posted here, years ago, I was upset, both on a personal unrelated level, and in a very specific editor fashion about Apple's choices with X. So I lashed out. That's what I was really doing, and that's what a lot of people here did. And then it seemed to combust into a pretty specific, and very dynamic madhouse, and in truth, I really enjoyed it. There is no joy greater than throwing a haymaker at Bill Davis. Because, you know, with absolute certainty, he is going to smile and return it. And then you can have at it. I mean, who amongst us doesn't like the amorality of functional debate? And I never ONCE posted late under the influence of Malbec.

Anyway - essentially, I just wanted to say thanks. I genuinely got a lot out of it, somewhat cathartically in general, and I got to engage in a metric tonne of interesting conversations. And the Cow, more specifically Tim Wilson, operated, effectively heroically, to keep things vaguely on keel.

The Cow's been a classy place I've lent on, mostly for After Effects brass tacks, for a really long time, and in this one mad instance, I got to mess about in a scandalous six shooter saloon they took great pains to maintain for us.

So thank you. Also - pour one out for Franz Bieberkopf.

https://vimeo.com/user1590967
producer/editor.grading/motion graphics

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
Re: Franz Bieberkopf and Apple Talk
on Sep 23, 2018 at 11:36:29 am

[Aindreas Gallagher] "And I never ONCE posted late under the influence of Malbec."

No-one thought you did ☺

Welcome back, feel free to pop by and throw the occasional haymaker.

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
on Sep 25, 2018 at 10:06:46 pm

Man that's all I get? Steve? I wrote my heart out there. Where's Garchow? Where's Bill Davis striking me down one last time???

I kid. I'm not back dude - and hello Steve - I really just wanted to say thanks basically. I ran out of bullshit here years ago.

All our editing systems are cracking. It all worked out in the end right?

p.s. to private subscribers - FCPX still died as the cabal intended, our work here is done, let us meet on the moor and burn the bracken to our final victory

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Sep 26, 2018 at 6:31:15 am

[Aindreas Gallagher] "Man that's all I get? Steve? I wrote my heart out there. Where's Garchow? Where's Bill Davis striking me down one last time???
"

I know! Perhaps they've still got you blocked ☺

[Aindreas Gallagher] "I'm not back dude - and hello Steve - I really just wanted to say thanks basically. I ran out of bullshit here years ago.
"

Shame you're not back but I've been stalking you on Twitter since your departure so still getting a regular "fix"

[Aindreas Gallagher] "All our editing systems are cracking. It all worked out in the end right?"

It certainly did

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
on Sep 26, 2018 at 11:44:40 am

[Aindreas Gallagher] "p.s. to private subscribers - FCPX still died as the cabal intended, our work here is done, let us meet on the moor and burn the bracken to our final victory "

If there was justice in the world this would be the last posting under the current "Debate" name.

Thank you for all the outrage and all the laughs.

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions
---------------------------
nothin' attached to nothin'
"Deciding the spine is the process of editing" F. Bieberkopf

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Sep 26, 2018 at 4:50:48 pm

How can we top your post, except to raise a glass! Aindreas, you are far better bard than any of us.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters - oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Sep 26, 2018 at 5:26:44 pm

[Aindreas Gallagher] "Where's Bill Davis striking me down one last time???"

Bill Davis is head-down editing in FCP X right now - and having more fun than ever doing it!

There's certainly no need to strike anyone down.

At the end of everything, I got everything I was hoping for and more. A new, better content creation tool, plus an entire world full of editors that also now understand the joys of X editing. What's not to like?

I've got 9 fresh agency draft videos going out Friday - plus four large end of the year corporate review videos on-deck. In between, I'm doing volunteer work for a local marketing group that involves my first project in RAW, so I can better familiarize myself with the new workflows.

Seven years in, and I seriously don't think I've regretted a single minute of my switch to X.

I thought I saw something special 7 years ago at it's release — turns out that, for me, I was utterly correct.

Let BlackMagic and Premiere and AVID battle for the track-style thinkers and may every single one of them feel GREAT about their choice and have years of productive and creative work ahead!

I'm a magnetic storyline thinker now. And more confident than ever that I choose my correct path.

I am, however, extremely sorry to hear that some of your early days angst was perhaps driven by some measure of family loss. That's something we all have to face as we continue to age - and I'm very sorry for your loss back then.

Be well.

Creator of XinTwo - http://www.xintwo.com
The shortest path to FCP X mastery.

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
on Oct 2, 2018 at 9:58:10 pm

"I thought I saw something special seven years ago at its release — turns out that I was utterly correct. "

Bill, and I mean this truly - I prayed for, and genuinely treasure that response: it's fractionally monomaniacal, and basically perfect. God bless you.

And no, of course I did not edit your reply. Toodle pip.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Oct 2, 2018 at 11:57:40 pm
Last Edited By Bill Davis on Oct 3, 2018 at 12:02:11 am

[Aindreas Gallagher] "Bill, and I mean this truly - I prayed for, and genuinely treasure that response: it's fractionally monomaniacal, and basically perfect. God bless you.

And no, of course I did not edit your reply. Toodle pip."

Ah the honorary Rosmary Woods edit! (The one that makes history - AND the opinion verses fact interjection, perhaps disappear.

As in making what I ACTUALLY wrote:
"I thought I saw something special 7 years ago at it's release — turns out that, for me, I was utterly correct."

And morphs it into (IN QUOTES NO LESS!)
"I thought I saw something special seven years ago at its release — turns out that I was utterly correct. "

Odd how the convention of quotes around something being a reportorial device to denote "this is what someone else actually said." Of course, quoting is difficult. It requires close listening and the ability to remember stuff. And the meaning might not be what someone WANTS the meaning to be. So screw the MEANING of quotes - lets just use them with abandon!

Wonderful post for the Trumpian era of revisionist truthiness! Who needs that useless interjection of "for me."

Original meaning be damned! Full screed ahead!

Well done!

Creator of XinTwo - http://www.xintwo.com
The shortest path to FCP X mastery.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]