FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP X hits 3.5 Million users?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bill Davis
FCP X hits 3.5 Million users?
on Sep 16, 2018 at 4:48:37 am

Atomos CEO Jeromy Young says so in a live interview from the IBC Floor.
Slip of the tongue?
Judge for yourself.
If true, that’s kinda crazy growth acceleration.

Creator of XinTwo - http://www.xintwo.com
The shortest path to FCP X mastery.

Return to posts index

Ricardo Marty
Re: FCP X hits 3.5 Million users?
on Sep 16, 2018 at 11:48:04 am

Yes people are doing tons of cat videos a vacation videos.

Ricardo Marty

Ps just kidding

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Sep 16, 2018 at 12:23:52 pm

It's BS unless it officially comes from Apple. That would be an additional 1 million users in 5 months since NAB. Highly unlikely.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters - oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Neil Goodman
on Sep 16, 2018 at 2:34:02 pm

People can throw down numbers on the internet all day but out on the streets, Im just not seeing it.

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Sep 16, 2018 at 3:07:55 pm

there is only ONE thing that matters to me - PROFESSIONAL USERS.
I dread the day (and I hope I am dead before this happens) - when EVERYONE knows how to edit and our industry is (almost) over. As I well know, and have said before - there is still a printing industry (but tiny), and there will always be professional editors (and it will get tiny in the future).

The fact that (I am making this up) - 1 million of those FCP X users are "Instagram influencers" that are 25 year old girls, each with 25,000 followers means absolutely nothing to me. These people are not making their living as editors.
I see countless musicians that now own the technology to make great recordings of their own bands - and do exactly this - and this helps them get bar jobs and Disney Springs jobs in front of restaurants, but it has eliminated 95% of the professional recording studios. So to say that "so and so is the MOST POPULAR audio recording and mixing program" means nothing to me, unless it's being by PROFESSIONALS with high end budgets that are doing major projects (and making major money).

I know the end it near for us ( most of us) - I just don't want it to happen yet. Just look at me. If there was not corporate greed, and political payoffs from cable companies to politicians, the reality that ALL OF US could have a 10G connection back to a cloud service would actually exist. And then people like me, would have nothing to do for a living - because why would you own your own storage for your Mac, if you could do 8K editing with "Google Drive" or "iCloud" for $200 a year.

Yes - one day, everyone will know how to edit, and it will all be over for most of us. Today is not that day.

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Sep 16, 2018 at 3:18:07 pm

[Bob Zelin] "I know the end it near for us ( most of us) - I just don't want it to happen yet. "

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Sep 17, 2018 at 2:58:44 pm

Revel in your time......

We've been singing this song since the DV video format came out. We had a good ride. Like it, don't like it, it's gonna happen anyway. You adapt and evolve to stay with it... or you don't. Thus has it always been.

Return to posts index

Scott Witthaus
on Sep 17, 2018 at 5:01:25 pm

[Bob Zelin] "one day, everyone will know how to edit, and it will all be over for most of us"

I heard this from linear editors when Avid camp around. And then from Avid editors when FCP-Legacy came around. Now Premiere editors when (that non-professional ) Project Rush comes out (I'm kidding here of course)? And so it goes.

I think for most of us it's not knowing "how to edit": anyone can learn a software. Its about knowing how to tell a compelling story in an efficient timeframe. My answer back then and now is always the same: Be better. Be good enough so your clients can't afford to be looking elsewhere no matter what the cost. If there is a kid out there who is better, then they deserve the work.

Scott Witthaus
Visual Storyteller - FCPX, Premiere
https://vimeo.com/channels/1322525
Managing Partner, Low Country Creative LLC
Professor, VCU Brandcenter

Return to posts index

Don Scioli
on Sep 18, 2018 at 10:00:43 pm

Bob, as you said between amateurs using FCPX and the Damn iPhone being a shooting tool for everyone with a film idea, the bottom and midlevels of film/video work have vanished. That includes public agencies such as fire and police, govt. institutions, small companies who have a kid shoot with the phone or DLSR, even some of our previous bread and butter, political commercials, are being done for free by a supporter with a phone and placed on Facebook. That leaves the high end corporate where the completion is fierce and you have to know someone on the inside or doing docs and hoping for a pick up.

The new tech is great for pros but it is also great for everyone else. Maybe I long for the days of shooting on an ARRI 2C and editing on a Steenbeck or Kem.

Return to posts index

greg janza
on Sep 16, 2018 at 3:16:02 pm

[Neil Goodman] "People can throw down numbers on the internet all day but out on the streets, Im just not seeing it."

In my market, I've had two FCPX gigs in seven years and one FCPX gig offered that I passed onto another editor.

FCPX may very well be gaining in user numbers overall and it should since it's an excellent program but so far it hasn't translated to an actual shift in the professional marketplace.

Windows 10 Pro | i7-5820k CPU | 64 gigs RAM | NvidiaGeForceGTX970 | Blackmagic Decklink 4k Mini Monitor |
Adobe CC 2018 |Renders/cache: Samsung SSD 950 Pro x2 in Raid 0 | Media: Samsung SSD 960 PRO PCIe NVMe M.2 2280 | Media: OWC Thunderbay 4 x 2 Raid 0 mirrored with FreeFileSync

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Sep 16, 2018 at 3:55:23 pm
Last Edited By Bill Davis on Sep 16, 2018 at 3:56:47 pm

Perhaps.

But looked at another way, that could be just an additional 10,000 business users in each of the 20 largest countries around the world per month. It’s not like video literacy isn’t spreading fast globally - and lots of people are using it for all manner of personal, technical, and commercial communications needs.

Video production capable computers are the default now. From every manufacturer.

And as much as it might annoy Bob to see this capability flow from the technological broadcast priesthood to the masses - that’s already kinda what’s happened.

The data scientist preparing presentations that need video support, the marketing consultant, the architect and the interior designer can ALL leverage business results using video. (And unlike broadcast pros, the big bonus is that they aren’t near as likely to bitch for a solid decade about losing 1960s style OMF support!)

We’ll see what Apple says at the Creative Summit.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Sep 16, 2018 at 4:20:57 pm

[Bill Davis] "The data scientist preparing presentations that need video support, the marketing consultant, the architect and the interior designer can ALL leverage business results using video."

Historically most of those are not Mac users, which kind of negates FCPX. Plus, as Apple prices tend to go increasingly upward in the coming years, you really have to wonder.

- Oliver

Return to posts index

Brian Seegmiller
on Sep 16, 2018 at 8:41:20 pm

Oliver said, "Historically most of those are not Mac users, which kind of negates FCPX."

Historically those people don't edit their own videos so....

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Sep 17, 2018 at 7:47:28 am

That’s the thing about “history” — it is , by definition, what used to be.

I’ve handled plenty of query’s from folks like these who own the hardware they prefer (which is often Macs) and have absolutely no problem using their computers to create and share video content for all sorts of reasons.

It’s almost as if, like word processing and spreadsheets before it, video creation is becoming a kinda normal mode of communication for all sorts of people.

Imagine that.

😉

Return to posts index

greg janza
on Sep 17, 2018 at 1:56:49 pm

[Bill Davis] "It’s almost as if, like word processing and spreadsheets before it, video creation is becoming a kinda normal mode of communication for all sorts of people."

Video is becoming the default format for all kinds of communication. The differentiating aspect of video though is that it's a collaborative process and not an individual activity like creating spreadsheets or word processing.

Windows 10 Pro | i7-5820k CPU | 64 gigs RAM | NvidiaGeForceGTX970 | Blackmagic Decklink 4k Mini Monitor |
Adobe CC 2018 |Renders/cache: Samsung SSD 950 Pro x2 in Raid 0 | Media: Samsung SSD 960 PRO PCIe NVMe M.2 2280 | Media: OWC Thunderbay 4 x 2 Raid 0 mirrored with FreeFileSync

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Sep 17, 2018 at 6:10:05 pm

I have no doubt that Apple has sold 2.5M downloads of FCP-X. Heck, I'd even buy the 3.5M number. There is video being used in SO MANY businesses anymore, that more and more people need editing software, and the $300 price tag, with updates free...is a good price. Sure, Resolve is free, but it's a hellalot more complex than FCP-X is.

I see people from kids editing web videos all the way up to feature films using FCP-X...something I cannot say about Avid. I can say that about Adobe too...with the low cost student subscription model.

Most used NLE? Sure, I can see that. YAY! Apple wins that category!

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Neil Goodman
on Sep 17, 2018 at 9:44:57 pm

[Shane Ross] "I see people from kids editing web videos all the way up to feature films using FCP-X...something I cannot say about Avid. I can say that about Adobe too...with the low cost student subscription model.
"

Probably will change a little with the intro of the free Avid First and them dropping the price to 20 a month to get into the full Avid. Cheaper than Adobe now for a subscription. Will it make a difference - too soon to tell, and maybe too little too late.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Sep 17, 2018 at 10:11:31 pm

[Neil Goodman] "Probably will change a little with the intro of the free Avid First and them dropping the price to 20 a month to get into the full Avid."

Dunno...my kids hate Avid, prefer Adobe (even after trying FCX). Plus they are HUGE photoshop users, so that was their gateway...

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Sep 17, 2018 at 11:24:28 pm
Last Edited By Oliver Peters on Sep 17, 2018 at 11:24:50 pm

[Shane Ross] "I have no doubt that Apple has sold 2.5M downloads of FCP-X. Heck, I'd even buy the 3.5M number."

2.5 million is an official Apple number as of NAB this year. 3.5 million isn't, until we hear otherwise.

[Shane Ross] "There is video being used in SO MANY businesses anymore, that more and more people need editing software"

I believe this "common wisdom" is repeated so many times, it's taken as fact. I deal with an awful lot of corporate media from different companies. In almost every case, departments are using video, but they are generally using very well-equipped in-house departments or outside vendors. Most of the time these are polished videos, which another departments may then integrate into Powerpoint presentations.

This is certainly an area that FCPX should shine, but I've actually seen very little evidence of it in the wild.

- Oliver

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Sep 17, 2018 at 11:50:30 pm

I'm seeing FCP-X crop up not only in TV production for show editing (couple small companies, not a HUGE bit of saturation...same two companies I've seen use it 3-4 years ago) but a lot in "casting reel" edits...casting reels for reality shows (showing the networks and exec producers potential candidates)....I've seen it crop up in the wedding market (two friends who do this), and a lot in online videos...sports video productions...promotions videos for universities, hotels, some government work. I have friends all over the country (and world) who've I've gotten to know from the forums, and yeah, they are using FCP-X in many of their projects. it's seeing wide spread use.

I DO think that the vast majority of 2.5M downloads are "private citizens" who use it to edit their web videos, but I"m not going to sneeze at the number of pros using it.

I will sneeze at people claiming saturation into Hollywood...there it is very rare.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Sep 18, 2018 at 1:28:39 am

I find these metrics interesting but not particularly relevant. I'm sure all NLEs have millions of users. I'm most interested in trends that affect me directly. What are my clients using? What are kids in college using who might be my clients in a few years.

So far in my little post microcosm, I'm seeing Pr, Avid & Resolve most commonly. X rarely and frankly getting a bit rarer as some X editors are jumping to Resolve for various reasons, often just hardware but also they are mindful of post workflows.

The only thing significant is that FCP7 is finally vanishing.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Sep 18, 2018 at 1:38:10 am

[Michael Gissing] "What are kids in college using who might be my clients in a few years.
So far in my little post microcosm, I'm seeing Pr, Avid & Resolve most commonly."

Interestingly enough, I am on an advisory committee for a college that was an early featured user for FCPX. They have since de-emphasized it in their curriculum in favor of Premiere and Media Composer. Granted, these are film and media students. I guess the thought is to focus on tools they'll likely encounter in the professional film, TV and media world.

- Oliver

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Sep 18, 2018 at 1:43:34 am

[Oliver Peters] "I guess the thought is to focus on tools they'll likely encounter in the professional film, TV and media world."

I was asked to do a four hour tutorial on Resolve at a local college to Visual Arts students. By the end the supervisor was saying that they would seriously consider dropping their Pr subscription and just using Resolve in networked collaboration. They are Mac based and have X available but they mostly encourage Pr and now Resolve over X because that's what local production companies are using.

So that very reason of training for the professional market place is behind the thought to use Resolve as potentially their primary tool. I said it was premature to drop Pr but teaching Resolve makes excellent sense. X is not in the mix however other than letting student have exposure to it.

Return to posts index

Neil Goodman
on Sep 18, 2018 at 2:01:54 am

[Oliver Peters] " I guess the thought is to focus on tools they'll likely encounter in the professional film, TV and media world."

It trips me out that teachers teach anything but Avid and Premiere for the same reason.

Lets be honest - at 20 years old - no one aspiring to be an editor says I want to make corporate video or wedding videos or even trailers for that matter .They all want to cut feature films. In my day TV was looked waaaayyyy down upon to the point the teachers wouldn't encourage that, its a good starting point. It was films or nothing.

Since films are mostly cut on Avid (and a little on premiere i guess) why on earth would you intro FCPX into the curriculum ? It would put your students at a huge disadvantage in the current day to be thrust into a market only knowing a tool no ones using. Sure you will still learn story but your not going to get a job as a editor right out of school. Your going straight to the vault or the AE room where story doesn't matter -you got to know the programs there using inside and out.

With that said - today is very different than when I went to film school even in 2004 , but Id have to imagine - except for TV now being just as legitimate as film in certain situations - kids still dream about being at the top. Knowing FCPX as well as Bill Davis unfortunately isn't going to get you there in the current climate.

It a great tool and I suggest everyone learns it to have in the back pocket - but to make a viable career off it in the major markets, is still but a pipe dream.

Return to posts index

Tony West
on Sep 18, 2018 at 4:27:24 am

[Neil Goodman] " today is very different than when I went to film school even in 2004"

2004? Wow, that's interesting. I was in school in the mid 80's and television was very much a big deal then. To me, I considered working on the World Series or the Olympics as much as "The Top" as film (and I love film).

Prime example is the Oscars. They are having to jump through hoops to get people to watch it on "TV". That's the best film has to offer and the ratings are not what they would like. I love it myself, but it is what it is.

Having said that, I agree with your main point. To me, Avid is the stick shift of NLEs. Once you can drive that, you can get the hang of the rest of them.

Return to posts index

Mark Smith
on Sep 18, 2018 at 11:42:55 am

Lets say that Feature film editing which many people here might hold as the pinnacle of the editing realm is like the NBA to a basketball player. How many jobs are there in the NBA as a ’player’ which might be analogous to being an editor? Number of NBA teams * players on team rosters = not that many jobs at the top of the basketball world.
Same in the feature film world.
Still there are plenty of people making a living cutting videos and that number isn’t going down...
If Casey Neistat cuts his stuff on X, I’m not even sure he cuts his own videos but lets say he does. You may or may not like Neistat videos, but he’s making bank off youtube with the videos he puts out. While not feature film editing, his case is clearly a commercial success which is inextricably linked to his use of an editing platform to tell visual stories.
There are tons of people out there editing videos these days compared to 20 years ago as the price of entry to making a video has plummeted to tiny fractions of what was in say the year 2000. The commercial opportunities have greatly expanded and while cutting a feature still might be the pinnacle for some, making a Casey Neistat type of living off of making videos is certainly a strong lure to many up and coming editors.

Return to posts index

Neil Goodman
on Sep 18, 2018 at 12:29:43 pm

[Mark Smith] "Lets say that Feature film editing which many people here might hold as the pinnacle of the editing realm is like the NBA to a basketball player. How many jobs are there in the NBA as a ’player’ which might be analogous to being an editor? Number of NBA teams * players on team rosters = not that many jobs at the top of the basketball world.
Same in the feature film world.
Still there are plenty of people making a living cutting videos and that number isn’t going down...
If Casey Neistat cuts his stuff on X, I’m not even sure he cuts his own videos but lets say he does. You may or may not like Neistat videos, but he’s making bank off youtube with the videos he puts out. While not feature film editing, his case is clearly a commercial success which is inextricably linked to his use of an editing platform to tell visual stories.
There are tons of people out there editing videos these days compared to 20 years ago as the price of entry to making a video has plummeted to tiny fractions of what was in say the year 2000. The commercial opportunities have greatly expanded and while cutting a feature still might be the pinnacle for some, making a Casey Neistat type of living off of making videos is certainly a strong lure to many up and coming editors."

I agree - and now there are kids who do indeed want nothing but to be the next Casey - so theyll follow that pathby vloging. But Id have to imagine at 20 years old - most kids entering into a film school have their eyes set on the prize and sadly enough barely any of them will make it there because like you said theres not enough positions and they'll find there are plenty of alternatives to features once they enter the workforce or even other interesting jobs other than editor.

Return to posts index

Neil Goodman
on Sep 18, 2018 at 12:34:02 pm

[Tony West] "004? Wow, that's interesting."

We had a staff that all came from features and were pretty snobby about it. Keep in mind the only "good" TV at that time was HBO. Good meaning rivaling feature film quality. Everything else was prime time sitcoms and award/comeptition shows. This was also just before the reality boom and the writers strike. Now I'd rather work in TV than features - go figure.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Sep 18, 2018 at 12:46:16 pm

[Neil Goodman] "Since films are mostly cut on Avid (and a little on premiere i guess) why on earth would you intro FCPX into the curriculum?"

You got to figure that at the start of X, schools were coming off of a growing FCP7 presence. So, in spite of misgivings, many believed in Apple's sales pitch. Apple has a very solid education presence, so there's also a logical path from high school to college. Hence, you see a lot of FCPX in these circles and there's nothing wrong with that. Let students make up their own mind.

However, if you are training for specific job skills, like cutting or mixing feature films, then the weight shifts to Media Composer and Pro Tools. Since in 7 years, FCPX (and for that matter Logic Pro X) hasn't taken the film world by storm, the traditional choices are still the safer bit.

- Oliver

Return to posts index

Neil Goodman
on Sep 18, 2018 at 2:03:45 pm

[Oliver Peters] "You got to figure that at the start of X, schools were coming off of a growing FCP7 presence. So, in spite of misgivings, many believed in Apple's sales pitch. Apple has a very solid education presence, so there's also a logical path from high school to college. Hence, you see a lot of FCPX in these circles and there's nothing wrong with that. Let students make up their own mind."

Sure at the beginning 7 years ago it would have been ok to assume that X would eventually gain traction - now that is has little to none traction in that world - Id say its ok to steer the students in the direction best suited for success.

Return to posts index

Neil Goodman
on Sep 18, 2018 at 2:11:16 pm

[Oliver Peters] "Since in 7 years, FCPX (and for that matter Logic Pro X) hasn't taken the film world by storm, the traditional choices are still the safer bit."

To be fair - Logic could and I dont think ever was supposed to compete with protools

It was born a midi creation app - intended mainly for virtual instruments and composition . Audio recording and editing was eventually an after thought back when it was a PC only program. Since then the audio recording editing side of things hasn't matured barely at all while the midi side gets more and more robust. Pro tools started as Audio then added midi and its midi is still a joke compared to logic.

Its very common that people make songs in logic, write the music etc then bounce the parts over to pro tools to record and mix/ polish.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Sep 18, 2018 at 2:31:30 pm

[Neil Goodman] "To be fair - Logic could and I don't think ever was supposed to compete with protools ...
...Its very common that people make songs in logic, write the music etc then bounce the parts over to pro tools to record and mix/ polish."

While LPX is very capable for sound design/mixing, it's by and large a composer's tool. Coupled with a solid I/O, such as from Apogee, I would argue the recording results are superior to Pro Tools. It's had success in the film/TV arena on that front.

Of course, a few other tools, like Nuendo, also compete in that space. But for audio post, Pro Tools remains king-of-the-hill. Of course, this is aided by the fact that Avid's acquisition of Euphonix has allowed them to go heavy into the hardware side of mixing.

- Oliver

Return to posts index

James Culbertson
on Sep 18, 2018 at 5:10:13 pm

[Neil Goodman] "It a great tool and I suggest everyone learns it to have in the back pocket - but to make a viable career off it in the major markets, is still but a pipe dream."

In the Seattle area, I've actually had more work requesting FCP 10 over the last 3-4 years. It is corporate work primarily. I put off learning FCP 10 at first, but the high pay was a great motivator. Now I prefer using FCP whenever possible. I definitely agree with Mark Toia that it is the fastest editor available at this time.

No AVID here, its all Premiere and FCP 10. Definitely a lot of interest in Davinci Resolve, but not sure it is quite trusted for prime time work yet.

Return to posts index

Shawn Miller
on Sep 18, 2018 at 6:00:55 pm

[James Culbertson] "[Neil Goodman] "It a great tool and I suggest everyone learns it to have in the back pocket - but to make a viable career off it in the major markets, is still but a pipe dream."

In the Seattle area, I've actually had more work requesting FCP 10 over the last 3-4 years. It is corporate work primarily. I put off learning FCP 10 at first, but the high pay was a great motivator. Now I prefer using FCP whenever possible. I definitely agree with Mark Toia that it is the fastest editor available at this time.

No AVID here, its all Premiere and FCP 10. Definitely a lot of interest in Davinci Resolve, but not sure it is quite trusted for prime time work yet."

I thought Microsoft Studios and Amazon Studios were partly AVID and partly Premiere Pro these days... did they switch AVID for FCPX?

Shawn

Return to posts index

James Culbertson
on Sep 18, 2018 at 8:37:10 pm

[Shawn Miller] "I thought Microsoft Studios and Amazon Studios were partly AVID and partly Premiere Pro these days... did they switch AVID for FCPX?"

Not completely sure about internally at Amazon Studios, but among outside contractors I have never heard mention of Media Composer. I don't think they tell outside contractors what to use for the most part so some use Premiere and some use FCP 10. Microsoft Studios has been all Premiere for a couple of years. However, there are a number of groups at Microsoft that work outside of the studios, and make their own choices. I spent over 2 years as an outside contractor at one large group at Microsoft which used FCP 10 exclusively. There are other FAANG satellites in Seattle that also use a mixture of FCP 10 and Premiere (and no AVID). Seattle Public Schools media operations center is FCP 10 exclusively. It's popping up more and more these days.

Return to posts index

Shawn Miller
on Sep 18, 2018 at 9:14:43 pm
Last Edited By Shawn Miller on Sep 18, 2018 at 9:24:50 pm

[James Culbertson] "[Shawn Miller] "I thought Microsoft Studios and Amazon Studios were partly AVID and partly Premiere Pro these days... did they switch AVID for FCPX?"

Not completely sure about internally at Amazon Studios, but among outside contractors I have never heard mention of Media Composer. I don't think they tell outside contractors what to use for the most part so some use Premiere and some use FCP 10. Microsoft Studios has been all Premiere for a couple of years."

Interesting - it's been a while, but the last time I was there, MS Studios was still about half Media Composer and half Premiere Pro (in house)... but that wasn't long after they switched from FCP7. I haven't kept up on what other MS groups have been doing in terms of post.

Every other internal corporate production/post production group and agency that I know of are mostly Adobe or Adobe and AVID (Accenture, Starbucks, Boeing, Macy's, etc) - so I haven't really seen an uptake of FCPX or Resolve... it could just be the circles that I run in though.

Shawn

Return to posts index

James Culbertson
on Sep 18, 2018 at 9:44:31 pm

[Shawn Miller] "so I haven't really seen an uptake of FCPX or Resolve... it could just be the circles that I run in though."

Yes, I would say that it being known that I am fluent in FCP 10 (and actually like using it) has opened doors to work that others who are centered only on Premiere can't access.

Originally, when I learned the earlier Premiere/Radius/Targa systems in the 90s (in addition to tape to tape, and AVID) I got work on high budget multimedia projects that a lot of other editors ignored. Same when FCP Legacy first came out, a lot of AVID editors thought it was a joke. Same for mid/late 90s After Effects work when Flame operators thought it was a toy. At one point in the late 90s, part of my income was as a multimedia palette creation specialist, and video compression specialist. I'm learning Resolve now. Don't get stuck in the past... I'll keep doing this until I retire.

Return to posts index

Shawn Miller
on Sep 18, 2018 at 10:09:48 pm

[James Culbertson] "[Shawn Miller] "so I haven't really seen an uptake of FCPX or Resolve... it could just be the circles that I run in though."

Yes, I would say that it being known that I am fluent in FCP 10 (and actually like using it) has opened doors to work that others who are centered only on Premiere can't access. "

That may account for some of the different things we're seeing in the same town and industry. I'm a full time employee in a company, so my interactions with other production and post people are in the context of hiring, handing files/projects off to them, or getting files/projects from them. As a freelancer, I imagine you can look for FCPX projects or do jobs in FCPX without needing to worry as much about compatibility with other post folks or agencies.

Shawn

Return to posts index

James Culbertson
on Sep 18, 2018 at 10:20:54 pm

[Shawn Miller] "As a freelancer, I imagine you can look for FCPX projects or do jobs in FCPX without needing to worry as much about compatibility with other post folks or agencies."

Yes, I just have to be compatible with whatever workflow the company, agency, team, or individual producer/director I am working for at the time is using. But that is as true of using Premiere or AVID as it is FCP 10. Has it ever been different?

Return to posts index

Shawn Miller
on Sep 18, 2018 at 11:09:30 pm

[James Culbertson] "[Shawn Miller] "As a freelancer, I imagine you can look for FCPX projects or do jobs in FCPX without needing to worry as much about compatibility with other post folks or agencies."

Yes, I just have to be compatible with whatever workflow the company, agency, team, or individual producer/director I am working for at the time is using. But that is as true of using Premiere or AVID as it is FCP 10. Has it ever been different?"

Nope, I'm just thinking that as a FPCX user you can look for FCPX jobs, advertise your skills and influence others (producers/directors) to try it out. My company is mostly Adobe, so I don't see (or know when) people have those skills. IOW, I may not be seeing FCPX because I'm not asking for those skills or looking for those jobs.

Shawn

Return to posts index

James Culbertson
on Sep 18, 2018 at 11:51:52 pm

[Shawn Miller] "Nope, I'm just thinking that as a FPCX user you can look for FCPX jobs, advertise your skills and influence others (producers/directors) to try it out."

As a (freelance) editor I can look for editing jobs using whatever NLE I am asked to use (and sometimes what I choose to use). I have not asked others to try FCP 10 out. But because I am open to whatever NLE is out there, others have asked me to come edit for them on FCP 10 and Premiere (and in the past, AVID, Media 100, tape to tape, flatbed, etc.). The point being that I have never been adverse to trying new NLEs even if the majority of other editors at the time are resistant to that new NLE (which in the past also included Premiere and FCP Legacy, etc.). Same as it ever was.

Return to posts index

James Culbertson
on Sep 18, 2018 at 11:55:15 pm

[James Culbertson] "The point being that I have never been adverse to trying new NLEs"

Though thinking about it. I was adverse to using D/Vision Pro... painfully buggy.

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Sep 19, 2018 at 10:06:37 pm

[Brian Seegmiller] "Historically those people don't edit their own videos so...."

So... they might start editing on the Windows machines they already have. 😉

[James Culbertson] "The point being that I have never been adverse to trying new NLEs even if the majority of other editors at the time are resistant to that new NLE (which in the past also included Premiere and FCP Legacy, etc.). Same as it ever was."

This has been my POV for the last 7 or 8 years. Gone are the days of uber-expensive editing software that's tied to specific hardware so if you are a freelancer that bounces around between gigs I think it's just common sense to be fluent in multiple NLEs. Even if you don't bounce around I think of keeping up on various NLEs falls under the umbrella of professional development.

In the past year I've been paid to edit on Avid, PPro, and X. I'm sure at some point in the not-to-distant future I'll get paid to edit on Resolve.

Return to posts index

Scott Witthaus
on Sep 20, 2018 at 12:41:35 pm

[Andrew Kimery] "In the past year I've been paid to edit on Avid, PPro, and X. I'm sure at some point in the not-to-distant future I'll get paid to edit on Resolve."

Bingo. We can all have our favorites, but it's best to be broad in skillsets.

Scott Witthaus
Visual Storyteller - FCPX, Premiere
https://vimeo.com/channels/1322525
Managing Partner, Low Country Creative LLC
Professor, VCU Brandcenter

Return to posts index

Neil Goodman
on Sep 18, 2018 at 8:41:07 pm

[Shawn Miller] "Amazon Studios were partly AVID and partly Premiere Pro these days"

Amazon defaults to the production company making their shows. Then they default to whatever agency is cutting their marketing. Not much going on in house at Amazon worth talking about.

Not sure about Microsoft.

Return to posts index

Shawn Miller
on Sep 18, 2018 at 9:23:41 pm

[Neil Goodman] "[Shawn Miller] "Amazon Studios were partly AVID and partly Premiere Pro these days"

Amazon defaults to the production company making their shows. Then they default to whatever agency is cutting their marketing. Not much going on in house at Amazon worth talking about."

I'm only talking about Amazon's in house production. ☺

[Neil Goodman] "Not sure about Microsoft."

I haven't been there in a while, so I can't be sure either... but I thought they were still AVID and Premiere Pro... I could be wrong though.

Shawn

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]