FORUMS: list search recent posts

Vimeo Stock Footage

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Mathis
Vimeo Stock Footage
on Sep 5, 2018 at 6:57:02 pm

Vimeo is now in the stock footage game. This looks to be interesting and might offer a great value. Love to hear your thoughts!

https://vimeo.com/stock

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: Vimeo Stock Footage
on Sep 5, 2018 at 8:47:25 pm

How fast/easy can I find what I need, and can I afford it?

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on Sep 6, 2018 at 6:47:37 am

The cost looks very much comparable to Pond 5 and Adobe Stock so it will be somewhat expensive. There is so much footage on the other sites that it’s difficult to find the perfect footage. I have yet to explore around on Vimeo so I don’t have an answer there. I wish Rampant Design Tools would get in on the action as well.

Return to posts index

Scott Witthaus
on Sep 6, 2018 at 9:57:20 am

Certainly will look into it. I use Pond 5 mostly and have just started using it's app for FCPX. While early in the game, I really like how the App makes things very easy to download into your Library and then purchase.

Scott Witthaus
Visual Storyteller - FCPX, Premiere
https://vimeo.com/channels/1322525
Managing Partner, Low Country Creative LLC
Professor, VCU Brandcenter

Return to posts index

greg janza
on Sep 6, 2018 at 9:43:30 pm

The Pond5 app is a nice feature. The only restriction is that you can only use the app with your own Pond5 account.

If you use a client's pond5 account to purchase stock then you can't make use of the features of the app.

Windows 10 Pro | i7-5820k CPU | 64 gigs RAM | NvidiaGeForceGTX970 | Blackmagic Decklink 4k Mini Monitor |
Adobe CC 2018 |Renders/cache: Samsung SSD 950 Pro x2 in Raid 0 | Media: Samsung SSD 960 PRO PCIe NVMe M.2 2280 | Media: OWC Thunderbay 4 x 2 Raid 0 mirrored with FreeFileSync

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Sep 7, 2018 at 6:41:37 pm
Last Edited By Bill Davis on Sep 7, 2018 at 6:49:22 pm

Interesting for a number of reasons.

I remember how surprised I was when I first started using Frame.io for client collaboration - and needed to then post the results of that collaboration to my Vimeo Pro account for both distribution and service to more public facing websites for commercial purposes — and discovered that clicking on the "Send to Vimeo Pro" inside Frame.io was virtually instantaneous. I realized that Frame.io and Vimeo both were using the same cloud distribution service - so all that was happening was adding a few pointers to the original cloud content repository, without the need to do any real processing.

I note it, because access to stock libraries is basically the same deal. The content already sits up in the cloud. Plumbing it into an NLE just takes a couple of things to be settled. First the IP rights stuff. (who "owns" the content" and the business stuff (which entity gets how much money when a clip is purchased.

The Adobe approach has kinda been like their software approach, everything remains primarily ADOBE property that you just rent. (Yes, they pay royalties to some asset creators, but Adobe manages everything and remains the "primary contractor" for all intents and purposes."

Apple, OTOH, tends to form partnerships with external developers and lets those outside entities provide and manage their own services and content.

Less the "Company" model and more the "App Store" Model.

This seems consistent with that. It'll be interesting to see whether Apple ever decides to let "links" to services like these exist directly inside the software - or maintains tighter control on their IP stuff, whether from security concerns or just a desire not to split their focus on another sub-business.

One thing that's always fascinated me is the thought that someday, not just stock photos — but music, graphics, and a LOT more could conceivably be plumbed directly into these programs.

Maybe that's top of mind, because just yesterday I saw an Acura commercial with the Stones "Sympathy for the Devil" - as it's soundtrack. Yes, guys, our youthful anthems are now hawking luxury cars - who's surprised! "Hope I die before I get old" gives way in time to "Cash in now before I get older..." I guess.

And so it goes.

One part of me thinks linking something like Vimeo directly into X would be awesome, another part of me feels it's just more direct taps into impulse purchasing that seeks to remove impulse purchase friction with the primary goal of increasing sales.

I'm kinda not sure I want to be the 10,000th producer to use their AmEx card to license Hey Jude to improve a bride named Judy's wedding video or use Walking in Memphis to add some extra heart to a conservative political candidates' ad?

Sigh.

Life is sure complicated amidst all this change.

Creator of XinTwo - http://www.xintwo.com
The shortest path to FCP X mastery.

Return to posts index

Dennis Radeke
on Sep 11, 2018 at 8:41:21 pm

[Bill Davis] "The Adobe approach has kinda been like their software approach, everything remains primarily ADOBE property that you just rent. (Yes, they pay royalties to some asset creators, but Adobe manages everything and remains the "primary contractor" for all intents and purposes.""

Let me also quote you to give part of my response:

[Bill Davis] "Sigh."

Your response is mostly factually incorrect and in the case of any stock outlet, having another company like Adobe, Pond5, etc take care of the dirty work (like hosting, promoting, marketing, integration, etc) is a GOOD thing. Stock is a great way to create another revenue stream that can work for you. For people that need meet deadlines, Stock can be a great time saver. As for finding the right clip amongst millions, we have added a lot of powerful filters including visual search to help you hone in on what you need.

You're looking at Adobe Stock in the wrong way: Fully realized, Stock is a way that Adobe can pay YOU to help create you living.

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on Sep 11, 2018 at 10:19:21 pm

[Dennis Radeke]
Let me also quote you to give part of my response:

[Bill Davis] "Sigh."

Your response is mostly factually incorrect and in the case of any stock outlet, having another company like Adobe, Pond5, etc take care of the dirty work (like hosting, promoting, marketing, integration, etc) is a GOOD thing. Stock is a great way to create another revenue stream that can work for you. For people that need meet deadlines, Stock can be a great time saver. As for finding the right clip amongst millions, we have added a lot of powerful filters including visual search to help you hone in on what you need.

You're looking at Adobe Stock in the wrong way: Fully realized, Stock is a way that Adobe can pay YOU to help create you living

Well said! I just started my subscription with Adobe Stock last month. Right now I am mainly using it to find grunge and backgrounds to add to my library along with some stock photos. So far I am pleased but was wondering whether there is a month to month plan without an annual contract. I will be looking through the video section soon. Even though I don’t subscribe to any of the CC apps I do like the Stock offering.

Return to posts index

Dennis Radeke
on Sep 12, 2018 at 3:20:50 pm

[David Mathis] "wondering whether there is a month to month plan without an annual contract"

David - there is a month to month option that you can find on the plans page. There is also a credit pack option that is also available which can be found on the same link.

Cheers,
Dennis

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on Sep 12, 2018 at 9:49:17 pm

Thank you Dennis! I guess I missed it somehow but will definitely go month to month. I will also check out the credit pack option as well. Thank you for the fast response.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]