Art Doesn't Pay - redux

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>

Bob Zelin
Re: Art Doesn't Pay - redux
on Sep 4, 2018 at 2:52:57 pm

I immediately don't like this article -

towards the top of the article -
"That’s the premise that you get good at something only after having invested a lot of time doing to it – thus, the 10,000 hours. But Toia wasn’t completely convinced. “Not sure about that. I’m a firm believer in natural ability. I could pick up a brush and a pencil and draw or paint real life almost instantly. This was an obvious natural gift."

well - that's not me. I have learning disabilities - I always have. I have worked VERY hard to learn what I know, and it takes me longer than most people to understand things. This is probably why I get aggravated with people that just give up and say "oh, I can't figure it out". Well, neither can I. You sit there, and SUFFER and do nothing else until you figure it out, and it makes sense to you. And then - all of a sudden, you are an expert, and people think what you know what you are doing. Encouraging people to think that life should be easy is very poor advice. The people that work hard succeed. I don't care what race you are, what sex you are, or what your financial background is. You keep at it, and you succeed. All I can agree with is - ART DOES PAY - if you stick with it, and don't give up.

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Sep 5, 2018 at 2:21:29 pm

Preach it, brother Bob. I've seen first-hand examples of very gifted people who have natural talent, and squandered it, wasted it.... and I've seen more "average" people who got good by just sticking it out and putting in the time until they learned to have the "eye" for the work and became good. I think the big difference then becomes, how these two each react when they come up against a challenging task.

Return to posts index

Rich Rubasch
on Sep 7, 2018 at 3:48:42 pm

And if you have both....BAM!

Rich Rubasch
Tilt Media Inc.
Video Production, Post, Studio Sound Stage
Founder/President/Editor/Designer/Animator
http://www.tiltmedia.com

Return to posts index

greg janza
on Sep 7, 2018 at 4:05:36 pm

[Bob Zelin] " The people that work hard succeed. I don't care what race you are, what sex you are, or what your financial background is. You keep at it, and you succeed. All I can agree with is - ART DOES PAY - if you stick with it, and don't give up."

I agree 100%. The percentage of people who have a natural affinity for video production roles is miniscule. The 10,000 hours rule holds true for virtually everyone with every activity.

People who are very good at what they do didn't start out being great. It required thousands of hours of practice to develop their skills.

Windows 10 Pro | i7-5820k CPU | 64 gigs RAM | NvidiaGeForceGTX970 | Blackmagic Decklink 4k Mini Monitor |
Adobe CC 2018 |Renders/cache: Samsung SSD 950 Pro x2 in Raid 0 | Media: Samsung SSD 960 PRO PCIe NVMe M.2 2280 | Media: OWC Thunderbay 4 x 2 Raid 0 mirrored with FreeFileSync

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]