FORUMS: list search recent posts

Is anyone using Resolve as an NLE here?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Steve Connor
Is anyone using Resolve as an NLE here?
on Sep 3, 2018 at 10:47:38 am

Not that I'm thinking of switching but I was wondering how Resolve is progressing as an NLE, I note there's a maintenance update released today. On the occasion I've had to use it to grade I've found it's improved in leaps and bounds in terms of speed and reliability.

Is it ready for primetime as an NLE yet?

Return to posts index

David Cherniack
Re: Is anyone using Resolve as an NLE here?
on Sep 3, 2018 at 5:23:03 pm

[Steve Connor] "s it ready for primetime as an NLE yet?"

Funny you should ask. Up to this morning I would have answered with a qualified yes.

I've been putting together a 10 minute timeline with multi-layered EXRs as VFx shots along with some heavily graded documentary clips. Until now I hadn't stumbled on anything where there wasn't a simple workaround, like any NLE that I've ever used. However this morning I began a new timeline with the intent of copying and pasting VFx and graded sections of my working timeline. Horrendously, the in-points of many of the pasted clips in the new timeline were off by country miles. Any workaround was painstaking and clip by laborious clip. And this is a bug that is probably systemic and not a simple fix.

So...is Resolve as an NLE ready for primetime? Nope. In my opinion not for anything mission critical. I'd also venture that the Edit module is much farther along than the Fairlight...and the Fairlight is much farther along than the Fusion module. To tell you the truth I was surprised when they released 15 but I guess both the Fairlight and Fusion pages are going to take more than a month or two to get anywhere near release stage, as we normally think of it. But Blackmagic thinks of it differently and is playing a long game where beta and release are blended concepts.

All that said, the Color module is a joy and Edit mostly works, and the integration with Fairlight sometimes brought smiles to my face. So when they do get Resolve running well on all its legs I expect it will be a major player.

David
http://AllinOneFilms.com

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on Sep 5, 2018 at 7:14:08 pm

While it is getting there I still prefer to use Final Cut Pro X or Premiere Pro for editing. Resolve is fine for color grading but not so sure about Fusion being integrated. I have mixed feelings and concerns. The main concern is the fate of Fusion standalone. There has been some talk it is dead but without any official announcement from BMD there is really now way to confirm this. I honestly hope Fusion standalone will remain and will continue to be developed. Nuke is very expensive. It will be a wait and see game. Perhaps a new version will be announced at IBC which is less than two weeks away.

Getting back to the question at hand, the edit page is more responsive compared to previous versions. The one thing I have noticed is more lag in the Fusion page compared to the standalone version. I would rather have to round trip and have more stability and better performance than have to run into performance issues. Fairlight is a welcome addition but probably should be offered as a separate package in addition. Resolve has made progress but shoving everything into one package means mixed results. I will give it time and keep an open mind.

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Sep 5, 2018 at 9:02:28 pm

Resolve is my tool for post finishing so day to day editing is not as critical to me. Since version 14 and now with 15 the biggest problem of performance responsiveness has been improved to the point where editors I work with are telling me its better than Adobe. I had hoped the Fairlight integration would be more complete by now but that obviously has been pushed back by the integration of Fusion.

BM has been absolutely clear that Fusion standalone will remain and have a bigger tool set than the integrated version whilst Fairlight Standalone is dead. I have started using the Fairlight page on a few smaller jobs and I am planning to purchase the new hardware controller and mix panel, build a new PC grunt box with the new RTX NVIDIA cards and have one powerful integrated system later this year.

I demoed Resolve to a local college last week and they were so impressed with the package that they are going to phase it in to their edit suites and phase out Adobe CC. More editors are telling me they are switching from Pr to Resolve and will in future be delivering me Resolve project files. The significance of that is they are switching from Adobe. I think that is the logical switch. In my cohort not many editors are using X but interestingly one experienced editor recently switched from X to Resolve.

On my feature doco, I am about to start editing and it will be cut and finished on Resolve.

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on Sep 6, 2018 at 6:52:06 am

Thank you for calming my fears. I hope to see a new version of standalone later this month. Do you think Motion could compliment Fusion in some workflows?

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Sep 6, 2018 at 9:19:13 am

[David mathis]" I hope to see a new version of standalone later this month. Do you think Motion could compliment Fusion in some workflows?"

I don't run on a Mac anymore so Motion is unknown territory. I showed a colleague Fusion inside Resolve the other day and he is a constant Motion user so I'm keep to hear his feedback on how he sees the two for the sort of work he does.

Return to posts index

David Cherniack
on Sep 6, 2018 at 2:01:19 am

[David Mathis] "While it is getting there I still prefer to use Final Cut Pro X or Premiere Pro for editing."

I certainly would agree with the Premiere part of that opinion. It's an all round better editor than Resolve, though I think the Mercury Playback Engine is starting to show its age. Resolve handles 4k+ media better on playback but on the minus side, try to switch back and forth between complex timelines. Resolve is slow even on my beast of a system. Premiere is almost instant.

Keyframing. Premiere is much better at it. In Resolve you can't ease in and ease out with positioning splines. Which means digital moves start up instantly and crash to a halt. Totally unacceptable. It also doesn't do graphical UI keyframes with plugins.

Resolve doesn't have a render and replace function which means you're at the mercy of the Render Cache for effects heavy work and the Render Cache doesn't always persist between starts...something that's got much better with 15 but is nowhere near consistent. To workaround stubborn non-persistent parts of the timeline you have to hop over to the Deliver page, export, import and place. Premiere makes the job of render and replace, or force render of a recalcitrant part of the timeline, easy.

And Premiere has Media Encoder to offload renders and keep working. Nothing similar with Resolve.

That's my main complaints so all in all I much prefer Premiere as an NLE. Resolve is getting there but BM's focus is split between the NLE, Color, DAW, and Compositing modes. It's gann take a while.

David
http://AllinOneFilms.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]