FORUMS: list search recent posts

The PGA Report (OT)

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tony West
The PGA Report (OT)
on Aug 13, 2018 at 2:11:56 pm

For the most part it was a Sony show with either the 2500s or 4300s on the broadcast. A great work horse that allows for adaptation of the RF system that has to cover the distance on a course like this or fiber connection back to the TV compound. Not the lightest camera in the word but you still need long glass and the ability for a V1 to shade it remotely to cover golf and I don’t see that changing anytime soon.

I priced this rig at 150k (body,glass, RF)

I was on the lookout for cellphone broadcast coverage since that’s been a topic on here. I didn’t see any on our show, but I did see one person doing a standup with a selfie stick. No mic flag so I’m not sure who they were. Everyone shooting for affiliates that I saw had the type of broadcast camera that you might expect to see at an event like this. What I did see a lot of were caddies and swing instructors using their phones on the range to record the golfer’s swing and then play it back and make adjustments. Great use of the technology there.

As far as trends go in coverage of large events, we are always looking to show the viewer something that they haven’t seen before and that usually comes with a decent price tag. In that vain, this little baby stole the show.

It was a great show and a lot of fun to work. I was proud of the job my town did in hosting this great event.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: The PGA Report (OT)
on Aug 14, 2018 at 3:05:01 am

Thanks for the report, Tony. Always nice to see what is going on out there.

DJI has a good foothold in modern (non live broadcast) mobile rigs. I have been wondering when they are going to start making an RC car that can handle one of their cameras and/or gimbals. That rig you sent looks amazing. Is that a commercial kit or did someone fabricate it?

Return to posts index

Tony West
Re: The PGA Report (OT)
on Aug 14, 2018 at 5:15:20 am

Thanks Jeremy, yes it was pretty awesome. The paperwork said it was supplied by Bexel so I'm guessing they put most of it together. I think it was on the same RF setup as the rest of us.

One person drove it and the other operated the camera. She had a pretty nice console to zoom and focus and a SmallHD monitor to view.

At one point it rolled over a bag of balls on the driving range by accident and just kept going. I figured if that didn't hang it up, not much else was going to.

It's perfect for golf. It did a 180 around a few golfers and it really looked good. Very smooth.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]