Speaking of Macs

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Oliver Peters
Speaking of Macs
on Aug 2, 2018 at 12:15:34 pm
Last Edited By Oliver Peters on Aug 2, 2018 at 12:51:00 pm

https://www.engadget.com/2018/08/01/apple-mac-sales-services-revenue/

Clearly, as we know, it's not just Services, but also Pro Apps that help Apple justify continuing with the Mac. But it does look more and more like Apple is only selling that segment of its hardware products to an established customer base, rather than new customers. Of course, a serious refresh of the entry-level laptops could change that. Despite its power, an iPad Pro is not an adequate substitute. Maybe they think that's where the 13" MBP fits.

Oliver

Oliver Peters - oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
Re: Speaking of Macs
on Aug 2, 2018 at 4:58:28 pm

Three thoughts:
1. the Mac sales numbers took a hit in part because the MBP shipped late and missed the window for the previous quarter.

2. Vender lock-in aka walled gardens aka gilded cages can be very profitable which is why, to our detriment as consumers, we will continue to see more of them, not less of them.

3. Apple is still, at it's heart, a hardware company. If you want all the spiffy mobile devices to computer to home devices synergy you have to have Apple hardware through and through.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Aug 2, 2018 at 5:25:07 pm

[Andrew Kimery] "2. Vender lock-in aka walled gardens aka gilded cages can be very profitable which is why, to our detriment as consumers, we will continue to see more of them, not less of them."

The downside of that is that it will alienate more segments of the market. For example, dropping Nvidia and now OpenGL support (and soon OpenCL) starts to eliminate more potential players.

https://appleinsider.com/articles/18/07/28/autodesk-dropping-support-for-al...

- Oliver

Return to posts index

Andy Field
on Aug 2, 2018 at 8:37:27 pm

New MacBook sales not robust.... reasons?

1. Not significantly better than my 2015 MacBook Pro
2. terrible keyboard
3 removed crucial ports (HDMI - USB3) requiring extra gear to connect devices
4. solution in search of a problem touch bar

I'm a "latest greatest" consumer -- that Apple hasn't even tempted me in nearly 4 years indicates they aren't paying attention to their most loyal repeat customers...or don't care.

Andy Field
FieldVision Productions
N. Bethesda, Maryland 20852

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Aug 2, 2018 at 8:42:53 pm
Last Edited By Oliver Peters on Aug 2, 2018 at 8:44:11 pm

[Andy Field] "New MacBook sales not robust.... reasons?"

I don't believe those numbers are just laptops. I believe the stats are for the total Mac segment - desktops and laptops.

- Oliver

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
on Aug 5, 2018 at 5:07:49 am

[Oliver Peters] "The downside of that is that it will alienate more segments of the market. For example, dropping Nvidia and now OpenGL support (and soon OpenCL) starts to eliminate more potential players.
"

As an Apple user, I'm no stranger to keeping an older OS just to hang on to that last bit of tech :)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]