FORUMS: list search recent posts

Mental Canvas

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Oliver Peters
Mental Canvas
on Jul 7, 2018 at 8:38:36 pm

We talk occasionally about interfaces and have mentioned the MS Surface before. Here's a cool video that shows some nice working examples of using the dial.

It would be interested to see how something like this would apply to FCPX if Apple had done this.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters - oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
Re: Mental Canvas
on Jul 9, 2018 at 3:28:57 pm

[Oliver Peters] "It would be interested to see how something like this would apply to FCPX if Apple had done this."

If Apple had created this it would be genius, but Microsoft created it, so it can't be good.

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions
---------------------------
nothin' attached to nothin'
"Deciding the spine is the process of editing" F. Bieberkopf

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Jul 9, 2018 at 4:55:57 pm

[Herb Sevush] "If Apple had created this it would be genius, but Microsoft created it, so it can't be good."

Part of the key to making this work is that you can lay the Surface down like a drawing tablet. A lot of editors like to use Wacom tablets to drive their UIs. And many are pushing the health benefits of working at stand-up desks, it would seem that this could also be a good approach for editors. Obviously it depends on the tie-ins to the apps and the precise of the dial and pencil, but certainly a possibility.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters - oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
on Jul 9, 2018 at 7:54:31 pm

Artists have been drawing directly on screens for years, and though I can see how making them horizontal can be helpful I'd like to see more detail as to how the dial is better than a mouse for making screen choices. I know a number of editors who use a Wacom as an input device, I've tried it and it didn't work for me except when drawing masks.

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions
---------------------------
nothin' attached to nothin'
"Deciding the spine is the process of editing" F. Bieberkopf

Return to posts index

Scott Witthaus
on Jul 10, 2018 at 10:22:34 am

[Oliver Peters] "It would be interested to see how something like this would apply to FCPX if Apple had done this.
"

Damn, “Undermined” by Apple again! ;-)

Scott Witthaus
Visual Storyteller - FCPX, Premiere
https://vimeo.com/channels/1322525
Managing Partner, Low Country Creative LLC
Professor, VCU Brandcenter

Return to posts index

Mark Smith
on Jul 10, 2018 at 12:01:27 pm

With a large horizontal touch screen, I could imagine editing becoming something like that scee from Minority Report where Tom Cruise is using gestures to edit some visuals, or at least that’s what I recall. It been a while since I’ve seen that film.

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Jul 11, 2018 at 12:01:58 am

Gesture editing like in the movies. Sounds funky but in practice I bet it's an ergonomic nightmare. Like the 'futuristic' beeping touch screens in Star Trek, the imagined is annoying and unproductive in real life. I haven't played with the Surface Pro and that wheel but I can see that with the right software it could be a good combo.

Personally I hate touch screens without using a stylus. Even on my 8" Android tablet, the stylus is so much better than fat fingers. There is always going to be an inherent problem when the input surface is also the screen as the input actions partially cover the screen.

Return to posts index

Neil Sadwelkar
on Jul 11, 2018 at 7:34:07 am

The Surface Studio is basically a PC. So, while it can't run FCP X, it can run Premiere Pro and Resolve. Neither of which (AFAIK) have support for this puck device.

The only application of this puck I can think of, is to be a jog shuttle wheel for going through clips or timelines. But anyone who has never worked on a linear tape editor will not be accustomed to such an interface.

-----------------------------------
Neil Sadwelkar
neilsadwelkar.blogspot.com
twitter: fcpguru
FCP Editor, Edit systems consultant
Mumbai India

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Jul 16, 2018 at 7:31:46 pm

"There's a guy named CMX on the phone - says he's from 1971 and wants to know what's happening in this thread?"

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]