FORUMS: list search recent posts

LACPUG 18th Birthday meeting and the "Off the Tracks" FCP X movie debut.

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bill Davis
LACPUG 18th Birthday meeting and the "Off the Tracks" FCP X movie debut.
on Jun 29, 2018 at 2:49:08 pm
Last Edited By Bill Davis on Jun 29, 2018 at 2:55:55 pm

I'm sure more photos will show up elsewhere (and I'm sure the meeting video will be edited and posted before long) but it was a really fun night in LA at the LACPUG meeting and "Off the Tracks" film debut.

The occasion was the groups 18th anniversary, and the evening started with a slide/video clip "mini-cavalcade of history" about the early days of the LA group.

Then Premiere and FCP creator Randy Ubillos took the stage for an extensive interview with Mike about how he created, first Premiere, and then ran the team that transformed Key Grip into FCP — and essentially, played such a seminal roll in moving the entire video editing industry across the DV threshold in those early, early days. There were quite a few key members of the early FCP X teams in attendance, but out of an abundance of caution, I won't try to name them. (I'll surely screw up and leave somebody critical off the list - so watch the video when it arrives and you'll get the full roster!)

After the break, Brad Olsen's movie made it's public debut. I've seen various cuts over the last couple of years at semi-private events, and what surprised me most was the significant amount of large laughs (the good kind) it got from the "insider" crowd in attendance. I'll leave it for others to review, but I think it surprised a lot of people - particularly the "inside" story of a lot of the FCP X development process. That's something often speculated about — but it was great to see the "why" of FCP X openly discussed in the movie by Randy, Dave Cerf and others who had a big hand in creating it.

Heck, Shane and I even sat next to each other among the 40 post-party attendees, and shared pizza and had a really nice chat. (Maybe that pesky in-person human connection stuff really is the antidote to much of the internet squabbling we all too frequently find ourselves mired in!)

Fun night.

PS
As he arrived with his wife for the movie debut, Brad Olsen spied a copy of the FCP 1.0 boxed product entering the event for the tabletop "FCP History" lobby exhibit — decided it looked better than the box shot he used in the movie — grabbed his still camera camera, and shot an insert that will probably show up in the next cut of the film. I was nearby and shot this frame on my phone. Afterward, I could almost see him thinking: hey, should I just sit down and put this in the film right now?
Content creation in 2018 is, in some ways, as it's always been, but in other ways, a very new game.

Creator of XinTwo - http://www.xintwo.com
The shortest path to FCP X mastery.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: LACPUG 18th Birthday meeting and the "Off the Tracks" FCP X movie debut.
on Jun 29, 2018 at 5:08:52 pm

[Bill Davis] "Heck, Shane and I even sat next to each other among the 40 post-party attendees, and shared pizza and had a really nice chat. (Maybe that pesky in-person human connection stuff really is the antidote to much of the internet squabbling we all too frequently find ourselves mired in!)"

Yes...in person interactions are crucial....as you can hear inflections in the voice and see facial patterns. Everything here and on social media is cold impersonal, and can come of completely different than you intend. Bill and I were instantly friendly and stayed so. And talked a bit about aliens (the outer space kind)...

It was a good meeting.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Bernard Newnham
Re: LACPUG 18th Birthday meeting and the "Off the Tracks" FCP X movie debut.
on Jun 29, 2018 at 7:22:03 pm

Randy Ubillos turned up at the DigiLab at BBC Television Centre and gave us a 0.8 beta (or some nought point) in about 1998 . I loved it, even though it crashed all the time

Bernie

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]